Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
Kate getting vaccinated:
I assume she got AZ, but it doesn't say so explicitly.
The last paragraph said most adults under 40 in the UK are being offered an alternative to AZ due to the blood clot risk.

Seeing as Kate is only 39, she probably also got the alternative.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Kate got vaxxed today. I'm surprised she waited so long.
I think under-40s only just became eligible in the UK in the last 2 weeks. William got his last week. So, they waited until it was their turn, just like every other healthy person in their age bracket in their country.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Kate getting vaccinated:
I assume she got AZ, but it doesn't say so explicitly.
I think not mentioning the brand of the shots they got was calculated and terribly smart. This way they are not "endorsing" one brand over the other.

And OMG! did you see her in that t-shirt. It is not fair. I never looked like that.

ballettmaus

The last paragraph said most adults under 40 in the UK are being offered an alternative to AZ due to the blood clot risk.

Seeing as Kate is only 39, she probably also got the alternative.
My friend who just turned 40 a few days got Pfizer a few days after her birthday.

Kate and William had YKW, didn't they? That could be another reason why they waited until now.

clairecloutier

Princess Diana's wedding dress is on display at Kensington Palace:

I wish this article had gone into a bit more depth about how the dress was designed. One thing I've always been curious about is why Diana went with ivory rather than white. The ivory was very flattering to her, so I think it was a good choice, but I've always just wondered a little about that. I'd also be interested to know whether the bows were definitely Diana's decision, or the designers'.

quartz

scratching at the light
I got married in the eighties when all that material, and all those ruffles, and all that everything you could possibly pile onto one dress was the thing to do. I looove Diana’s dress - it is exactly what you would expect a princess getting married during that decade to wear, and is certainly iconic in that regard. That it must have weighed 40 pounds is a pretty solid testament to her commitment to the fashion of the day. I think ivory is a much more flattering colour to most skin-tones, as the popular whites back then were very stark.

I had no such sense of style, and obviously not a princess, and also had never been the sort that dreamed of a wedding or wedding gown, and ended up getting married in tacky, garish, silver metallic overlaid in pale grey lace, sans ruffles, bows, beading, poofs, swags, ruching, and giant veiled headpiece. It wasn’t in style then, nor has been since, and I still love it anyways. Wedding dresses are always fascinating to me.

puglover

I just recently watched a netflix special on Princess Diana. Her brother, Charles, contributed and spoke on the special. My how one forgets the beauty, magnetism and charm she possessed. I remember exactly where I was when the news came on the radio that she had been, at the very least, severely injured in a car crash in Paris. If those of us who never met her were so affected by her death, I can only imagine the impact on those who knew and loved her.

MsZem

I see the sea
I just recently watched a netflix special on Princess Diana. Her brother, Charles, contributed and spoke on the special.
I'm so used to seeing Diana's brother referred to as Earl Spencer, it's weird to think of him as Charles (which is indeed his name).

In non-UK royal news, the Princess of Asturias (Leonor) recently had her confirmation:
Looks like she's wearing heels and her sister is wearing flats; Infanta Sofia is actually taller.

Vaccinations for some members of the Japanese Imperial family:

Parsley Sage

I got married in the eighties when all that material, and all those ruffles, and all that everything you could possibly pile onto one dress was the thing to do. I looove Diana’s dress - it is exactly what you would expect a princess getting married during that decade to wear, and is certainly iconic in that regard. That it must have weighed 40 pounds is a pretty solid testament to her commitment to the fashion of the day. I think ivory is a much more flattering colour to most skin-tones, as the popular whites back then were very stark.

I had no such sense of style, and obviously not a princess, and also had never been the sort that dreamed of a wedding or wedding gown, and ended up getting married in tacky, garish, silver metallic overlaid in pale grey lace, sans ruffles, bows, beading, poofs, swags, ruching, and giant veiled headpiece. It wasn’t in style then, nor has been since, and I still love it anyways. Wedding dresses are always fascinating to me.
I have the book about the making of Diana's dress. I'll see if it says anything about why they went with ivory over white. I remember the book mentioning that they ordered fabric in white and ivory so even the company that wove the fabric wouldn't know what colour the dress was.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
My understanding is that there are actually several shades of white and some are more flattering on you. The ivory was gorgeous on her. Meghan went with bright white, but it seems very harsh on her. My own dress was candlelight, slightly warmer and more ivory.

ballettmaus

My understanding is that there are actually several shades of white and some are more flattering on you. The ivory was gorgeous on her. Meghan went with bright white, but it seems very harsh on her. My own dress was candlelight, slightly warmer and more ivory.
You think? Aside from the slightly lose-looking top, I thought her gown was pretty and looked really great on her. And I've got a thing for the way the skirt was cut. I'm not sure I'd ever wear it as I imagine that it's rather difficult to walk in but somehow, I really like it.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
You think? Aside from the slightly lose-looking top, I thought her gown was pretty and looked really great on her. And I've got a thing for the way the skirt was cut. I'm not sure I'd ever wear it as I imagine that it's rather difficult to walk in but somehow, I really like it.
The dress was beautiful but it was interesting she chose such a bright white that doesn't seem very flattering on her. Look at Kate and Diana and you will see what I'm saying.

MsZem

I see the sea
I thought Meghan's bright white dress really made her "glow" in a good way. The way a bride wants to be on her wedding day with all eyes on her. I really loved the dress she wore to the dinner as well.
The party dress was fantastic. The wedding dress was blah.

The best royal wedding dresses were Princess Victoria's and Lady Sarah Chatto's (both are on this list, and I miss OoS). I really liked Princess Eugenie's look as well, and of course Beatrice Borromeo had gorgeous dresses.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The dress was beautiful but it was interesting she chose such a bright white that doesn't seem very flattering on her. Look at Kate and Diana and you will see what I'm saying.
Why qualify your opinion with a comparison to others? It's not a contest. And besides, skin color has a lot to do with what colors look best on you. I thought bright white was better for Meghan.

quartz

scratching at the light
The party dress was fantastic. The wedding dress was blah.

The best royal wedding dresses were Princess Victoria's and Lady Sarah Chatto's (both are on this list, and I miss OoS). I really liked Princess Eugenie's look as well, and of course Beatrice Borromeo had gorgeous dresses.
Of this list I like #10, Carolina’s dress best and the #1 dress the least as I find it very stiff.
I did not like Meghan’s wedding dress at all, it looked too big and unfinished, but agree that the party dress was fab - love the halter style and can absolutely not wear it myself.
And my favourite thing is always the tiaras - Sarah Chatto wins on this list.

MsZem

I see the sea
Of this list I like #10, Carolina’s dress best and the #1 dress the least as I find it very stiff.
Victoria's is so Scandinavian ;) and she managed to pull off the cameo tiara, which is a challenge to be sure! It's not worn frequently by any means.

My other favorite from that list is what Camilla wore for the church blessing. It was beautiful, though of course not a traditional wedding look.

puglover

It is interesting that none of these dresses are bare shoulders and arms even though that has been the most commercially available style. Although not royal, I loved Pippa Middleton's dress. It was lovely on her.

MsZem

I see the sea
It is interesting that none of these dresses are bare shoulders and arms even though that has been the most commercially available style.
I don't think it was necessarily the most commercially available style in the places and times that these weddings took place, however (or for women of Camilla's age). And a royal wedding just calls for something beyond than what's commonly worn, anyway.

The only royal bride who wore something strapless that I can recall is Charlotte Casiraghi, and it wasn't for ceremony itself. These are three very different looks, yet they are all somehow very Charlotte.

quartz

scratching at the light
Victoria's is so Scandinavian ;) and she managed to pull off the cameo tiara, which is a challenge to be sure! It's not worn frequently by any means.

My other favorite from that list is what Camilla wore for the church blessing. It was beautiful, though of course not a traditional wedding look.
Camilla’s was my second favourite - she looked lovely.

puglover

I don't think it was necessarily the most commercially available style in the places and times that these weddings took place, however (or for women of Camilla's age). And a royal wedding just calls for something beyond than what's commonly worn, anyway.

The only royal bride who wore something strapless that I can recall is Charlotte Casiraghi, and it wasn't for ceremony itself. These are three very different looks, yet they are all somehow very Charlotte.
Personal preference, of course, and I hope I am finished with weddings, but I spent a number of years going on special shopping excursions with my daughters and DILs and attended many weddings of friend's children. I felt it was the rare figure that looked best in the totally strapless dress. At least, where I live, the options were limited and with one of my daughters we had a shoulder and short sleeve added at considerable expense and major problems matching the fabric. Often the style and look worn by the rich and famous are imitated for the general public, and I had hoped Kate's would be as she married around the time several of my children did, but I did not see one.

I also loved Camilla's.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

I love the strapless dress. That dress should get a pass anywhere.....including a convent! However the thing with the bows down the front.............ugh.

starrynight

Dress makers love strapless dresses because they are easier to fit. Sleeves are much more complicated and time consuming to tailor to a figure! I think that’s why the style is always pushed even though it’s not always the most flattering look.

starrynight

For regular people, there’s only a few chances in life to justify getting a really good dress and a wedding dress is one of those opportunities.

So a regular person probably wouldn’t seek out something as plain and formal as Meghans dress - which was basically a white, longer version of the business style/formal office wear dresses she favours. Beatrice’s dress is probably the closest to something mainstream that I’ve seen royals wear. Most royal wedding dresses are very formal and not in keeping with mainstream fashions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information