Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

You guys aren't Chinese. Chinese women are self-conscious about eating in public.

:confused:

Well the thousands of Chinese women eating at restaurants in my city (large Asian population, a plethora of Asian restaurants) every day - and seemingly enjoying their food - must have gotten over it. And I used to tutor Chinese students, who sometimes brought lunch with them. They must have hid their shame well when they ate it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well that's undignified.

Well, when they were still using their HRH titles, the Sussexes were filmed sampling Moroccan pancakes during their visit to Morocco early last year, and nibbling on some scrumptious looking pastries/ cookies during their visit to Wales in early 2018 before their May wedding. It's not undignified for a royal to show they can eat. Meghan even teased Harry for taking a big first bite of the pancake. :lol:

Here's a bit of the Wales visit video where Harry and Meghan sample the pastries:

ETA:
The Sussexes were also filmed during their South Africa documentary enjoying a sit-down dinner with a host family...

The recent Mary Berry Christmas special with Will & Kate was all about making food, enjoying food, talking about food with people involved with their charities, etc.

There was even the Christmas photo-op/ video clip of the Queen carrying her purse while Charles and Will looked on and backed out of the way as little heir Georgie Porgie aggressively beat the filling for his puddin' pie. :rofl:

^^ Click on the arrow for the Prince George meme

Oh, and I recently heard about this calendar called "Kate's Cuties" -- 2020 version. LOL that they include a sticker on the cover with the tease: "And Meghan's Little Marvel Too." The calendar is manufactured and sold in the U.K. by none other than the Daily Fail. :drama: A 'cute' cover pic of Charlotte, but no inside views are offered.:blah:

Last edited:

agalisgv

Iirc, canbelto used to frequently post many years ago about dealing with disordered eating. I think her posts may be more reflective of that than Chinese culture or royal rules around eating etiquette.

aftershocks

Banned Member
There are a bunch of rules about royals and eating in public...

I don't know about the royals' rules for eating in public, but one of the former royal chefs, Graham Newbould, who passed away awhile ago, spilled some beans in a documentary about royal kitchen secrets. I'm gonna try the fish 'n chips recipe and Di's fave stuffed potato recipe. Yum!

It's interesting that the royals do not eat their sandwiches with the crusty edges, and they don't eat anything with seeds (e.g, seedless cucumbers). Plus, no onions or garlic.

Newbould:
"When you're cooking for the royal family, things have to be fairly simple but elegantly. Things not too spicy, things not too cold which could be harsh on the teeth. Portions not too big, portions not too small. They wouldn't like to be overfed; they wouldn't like to think that food had been wasted. There's no room for error. You can't really make mistakes, that's why things are so well practiced and rehearsed. They like things done a certain way, whether it's right or whether it's wrong, that's the way they like it and that's the way you've got to do it."

aftershocks

Banned Member
Speaking of Gary Janetti's hilarious (and sometimes mean) Prince George memes on Instagram, his huge following and royally humorous wit has led to the creation of an animated series for HBO Max entitled, The Prince:

HBO Max streaming service plans to take the viral Prince George memes that Family Guy producer Gary Janetti puts out on his spoof Instagram account boasting almost one million followers and give it the TV treatment with The Prince. These funny images poke fun at the British royals and the excessive media coverage of them through the perspective of the eldest child of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

I noticed that Adam Rippon and Jeremy Abbott are two former skaters who follow Janetti's Instagram.

VGThuy

As a person of Asian-descent as well, my entire family (talking extended family in the hundreds) love eating in public or any excuse to have some sort of party. My Chinese husband and I bonded over being foodies in NYC when we were dating. None of my female Asian friends have qualms eating in public. In fact we kind of have no shame about digging in. My first ever meeting with one of my mentors in law school, a Korean-American female professor, was a brown bag lunch she hosted with students in her civil procedure class when she was just my professor. She certainly ate haha.

Of course when it comes to work and other more professional occasions, we like most people observe etiquette and obviously don’t want to be seen scarfing down like an animal. One time at some alumni event my law school was hosting when I was a 1L, this lawyer ended up talking to me and my friend and we felt compelled to turn away the many Hors d'oeuvres being served to us, but once we sat down we ate like every other person at that table. Then we grew less shame and every time free food was served at law school, we ate like all the starving law students and even alumni coming straight from work.

Maybe it’s also a class thing, and I’m too lower/working class haha.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

:lol: They can cause gas and bad breath... I saw a documentary about Camilla (The Duchess of Cornwall) in which she expressly mentioned that garlic is a strict no-no for royal dining.

I guess everyone knows the royal dining etiquette rule about stopping eating as soon as the queen is done and puts down her utensils. So make sure you aren't too hungry if you ever get invited to a dinner at BP, or Windsor Castle. As if. :D

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Garlic and onions can be medicinal, and they add flavor. But all things in moderation, and if you have IBS or gastric issues, or if you are in the British royal family, the garlic and onions gotta go. Unfortunately, onions and garlic are ingredients in many prepared and frozen foods, salad dressings, etc.

Life without gas and bad breath can be quite a relief. :D

Some fine alternatives:

There's also a not well known vegetable, celeriac root:

Carrots and parsnips are other good substitutes for flavor in certain recipes.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Celeriac is awesome, but it tastes nothing like onion or garlic. Likewise carrots and parsnips.

As the links indicate, the listed vegetables are 'substitutes' or 'alternatives.' The suggested vegetables are not supposed to 'taste like' onions and garlic. They simply provide a flavorful and healthy alternative, especially for those who have to eliminate garlic and onions from their diet for health reasons. The royal chefs could surely tell us more about flavorful alternatives.

MsZem

I see the sea
As the links indicate, the listed vegetables are 'substitutes' or 'alternatives.' The suggested vegetables are not supposed to 'taste like' onions and garlic. They simply provide a flavorful and healthy alternative, especially for those who have to eliminate garlic and onions from their diet for health reasons. The royal chefs could surely tell us more about flavorful alternatives.
I'm :lol: at the idea that celeriac is some obscure ingredient. Anyway, they may be alternatives that provide flavor, but given how different that flavor is they're not really substitutes. Just like herbs and spices are flavorful but in a different way. You don't need a royal chef for that.

The whole speculation about royals and what they eat is pretty funny. Most of the time they just eat at home, and presumably it's whatever they like.

Japanfan

The whole speculation about royals and what they eat is pretty funny. Most of the time they just eat at home, and presumably it's whatever they like.

And surely they can have onions and garlic at home with the evening meal, so long as they are in for the evening?

Japanfan

I mean would the Queen or Kate ever have pizza or fries?

One of the links upthread led to some pictures about Meghan and her diet, and she does indeed enjoy French fries.

I'm sure she enjoys pizza on occasion too. And maybe the Queen and Kate enjoy those foods too. Why not?

It's not dignified to eat high calorie food in public.

For whom? Just women, or men and women both?

One of the linked articles above pointed out that some women don't eat in public because to be thin = not to eat, in which case eating is a sign of deviance or weakness.

ETA: yesterday kate served breakfast but she didnt eat.

She probably had breakfast already. The Royals may follow strict diets, but I rather doubt they miss meals.

You do understand that eating is necessary for sustenance and survival, @canbelto?

And among some cultures, it's much more than that. Cooking is a creative endeavor and many people take great pride in it. Eating and drinking with others are about family, community, pleasure, laughter, good conversation, memorable occasions (obviously). Though sometimes such meals can be a miserable affair.

Last edited:

canbelto

Of course eat. But for chrissakes you dont want to be the person seen eating pizza at the office. People will gossip about you. At a party nibble on some horse d'oeuvres. Take food home or back to your desk. If you're a woman and you eat in public ppl will judge you. Even at restaurants I'll only eat in front of ppl I trust. Otherwise its salads only.

I'm sure royal women follow the same rules.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Of course eat. But for chrissakes you dont want to be the person seen eating pizza at the office. People will gossip about you. At a party nibble on some horse d'oeuvres. Take food home or back to your desk. If you're a woman and you eat in public ppl will judge you. Even at restaurants I'll only eat in front of ppl I trust. Otherwise its salads only.

If you really mean this (and that's a big if) then you're either insane or you were (sadly) brought up to believe this. For one thing it's sexist to have this rule for women. I can't think of one reason to not be the person eating pizza at the office. And when I see competitions in Japan there are tons of people, men and women, who eat messy noodles with chopsticks. There's nothing elegant about cramming noodles in your mouth yet no one looks embarrassed.

Desperado

When I was quite thin and much younger, the food work “gossip” was all about how I never ate being the only reason for my low weight. That’s was because I have a nut allergy and never ate offered birthday cake/pastries. Then they transferred that to telling me I was not eating enough pizza when pizza was offered which was a big lie because before I got dairy issues, I was a minimum 3 slices girl.

Then I got the self-loathing filled “gossip” and comments about never gaining weight no matter what I ate.

Gossipers will always gossip, people who don’t like themselves (there are a ton of those) will always try to knock you down. Now that I’m older, I try very hard not let these people ruin my life’s pleasures. And good food is undoubtedly one of them.

I have nothing Royal to add to this thread except for the fact that I’m happy other news have put “H&M in Canada” on the back burner.

Vagabond

Oh, get real! If it's good enough for HM Queen Elizabeth II, it's good enough for the likes of you.

quartz

scratching at the light
As a fat girl, I will shove food into my face anywhere, anytime, and with anyone. I’d love to share a big messy plate of loaded nachos with the queen along with a nice cold beer. Life’s too short - just make sure you’ve got a few napkins and enjoy yourself. :glamor:

Jimena

I'm surprised.

I hope you're trolling, to be honest. If not, holy blind spot Batman! You seem to be aware of race issues and are very in your face about them. But boy oh boy are gender issues going over your head!

becca

Enjoying a piece of pizza is not pigging out.

If it was uncouth to eat in public or at work so many business deals wouldn’t be based around lunches and dinners.

Many of our social gatherings are centered around food and this is in all cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information