Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

You guys aren't Chinese. Chinese women are self-conscious about eating in public. It's considered unladylike. Like one time my workplace had a pizza party and I hadn't eaten all day but I was like "No I can't be seen eating pizza in public" and was so dizzy on my way home. Now that I've been at the same place for a bit I'm more comfortable around my colleagues and can eat in front of them on occasion although i still think it's gross to eat in front of other people.

FWIW I've never seen the Queen eat. Also afaik people don't actually eat at state dinners. The point is to network and talk about diplomatic issues, not eat.

PDilemma

She pretty much has to. It would not be 'acceptable' to the general public if the wife of a future British king were overweight.

I'm sure Kate has a team of nutritionists and personal trainers helping her to maintain her slim form and remain in shape. She has to be very disciplined in terms of diet.

Even so, I wonder if it comes naturally to her. And it must get tedious going to so many dinners at which the finest of foods are served, and not be able to eat much. Though maybe royals get so sick of those dinners that they don't have much of an appetite.

I also wonder if struggling to keep weight down contribute to eating disorders among royal women (don't know if this was the case for Diana, it's possible) and royal women suffer from a disproportionate number of EDs.
According to Diana’s sisters she first had eating disorders while still in school. One of them did as well and may have “inspired” her to bulimia rather than other types. And eating disorders are complex psychological diseases not caused solely by watching your weight.
As to your proclamation that royal women are required to be thin, several are not and were not. The Queen Mother was always a curvy woman. The Queen gained weight as she aged as did Margaret. Sophie is of an average weight for her height. The sainted and blessed role model for the universe that is Meghan is a curvier woman though not overweight. Camilla is not someone that would be considered thin or athletic. Diana was, in her healthier years, not as thin as Kate. The York sisters are fit but have the curvier build of their mother.
There simply is no evidence that royal women in the U.K. are required to maintain any proscribed weight standard.

canbelto

According to Diana’s sisters she first had eating disorders while still in school. One of them did as well and may have “inspired” her to bulimia rather than other types. And eating disorders are complex psychological diseases not caused solely by watching your weight.
As to your proclamation that royal women are required to be thin, several are not and were not. The Queen Mother was always a curvy woman. The Queen gained weight as she aged as did Margaret. Sophie is of an average weight for her height. The sainted and blessed role model for the universe that is Meghan is a curvier woman though not overweight. Camilla is not someone that would be considered thin or athletic. Diana was, in her healthier years, not as thin as Kate. The York sisters are fit but have the curvier build of their mother.
There simply is no evidence that royal women in the U.K. are required to maintain any proscribed weight standard.

And all of those "curvier" women faced fat shaming so those aren't good examples. Meghan faced a lot of fat shaming after she gained weight after having Archie.

If I was Royal I'd eat nothing but apples.

MsZem

I see the sea
You guys aren't Chinese. Chinese women are self-conscious about eating in public. It's considered unladylike.
Neither is the BRF or any of the current European royals, so the idea of eating being undignified does not seem to apply. Here's Camilla enjoying various food and beverages :D

Kate sampling some cheese:

And someone must have eaten at the Nobel prize dinner ;)

puglover

I watched a spot on the royal kitchens hosted by one of their top chefs and he said one of Kate's favorite desserts is sticky toffee pudding. He showed how to make it Buckingham Palace style. She really is a young lady after my own heart! I personally admired her for appearing for the cameras right after giving birth with her baby tummy still visible. I just didn't remember seeing that much before from celebrities and found it refreshing. Her height is a huge asset in maintaining her weight although no doubt she eats healthy. One thing the chef said was that William and Kate do not have a personal chef and do most of their own cooking unless hosting an event. He said Kate likes to cook and prepare healthy meals for her family.

Judy

I have no problem eating in public. It is just natural.
Kate goes to the gym I have seen a photo of her going in or out.

MsZem

I see the sea
There are a bunch of rules about royals and eating in public:

A lot of these aren't rules, they're preferences. Obviously members of the BRF are in a position to tell others how to make their tea or decide on a dinner menu for big events.

ETA: Maxima and Charlene will drink whatever they want :lol:

Last edited:

jeffisjeff

Sorry, but I've never heard it said before that it's socially embarrassing to be seen eating anything other than yogurt and fruit in public. :confused:

If I was Royal I'd eat nothing but apples.

I would suggest that canbelto (and the royals) give up eating fruit in public because it is highly undignified. For example, I am eating a nice, juicy, crisp apple right now. It is very loud and messy, with juice going everywhere!

MsZem

I see the sea
You guys aren't Chinese. Chinese women are self-conscious about eating in public. It's considered unladylike. Like one time my workplace had a pizza party and I hadn't eaten all day but I was like "No I can't be seen eating pizza in public" and was so dizzy on my way home. Now that I've been at the same place for a bit I'm more comfortable around my colleagues and can eat in front of them on occasion although i still think it's gross to eat in front of other people.
If I was a royal I'd never eat in public or allow photos of me eating.
I realize this is cultural and has to do with how you were raised, but if you get to the point where you're feeling faint because you're so uncomfortable eating in public, that's something you should work on. It's okay to eat around other people.

I'm not saying this in a snarky way.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are a bunch of rules about royals and eating in public:
Which proves that they DO eat in public. (Though apparently as often happens on the internet, the article doesn't say what the poster says it does. ;)) But it does show royals eating. In public.

ETA I work with lots of Chinese people, including Chinese women, and they all eat in public. Including pizza, when we have it at a work function.

canbelto

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
LOL. Did I suggest that??

Sorry, but I've never heard it said before that it's socially embarrassing to be seen eating anything other than yogurt and fruit in public. :confused:
Oh - I will say it: Yogurt is VERY dangerous to eat in public (or at home), you need to have perfect spoon usage to make sure you don't get the unseen drip from the bottom of the spoon. That drip gets me all the time. And yogurt seems impossible to get out of my clothes!

Jenny

From the Bloc
Plus you only have to go to a restaurant or a mall food court or even see people waiting for a bus to see Chinese women eating in public.

I swear canbelto says this bizarre stuff just to see how far she can take it before we all lose our minds completely.

skatfan

People need to go to the bathroom too. That doesn't mean you should do it in front of everyone.

Eating with people is a basic social activity that goes back tens of thousands of years. It's been shown that people who eat together can then meet afterwards and come to terms with differences quicker. Communities bond over food - to share food and to eat food prepared by another builds trust and connections.

I'm sad for you that you see it as embarrassing and something to be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information