RIP Alex Trebek

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My main connection to the show is that I used to work with a guy who was in a 3-way tie. Apparently, that had never happened before or after.

But otherwise, the thing I most enjoy about the show is Alex Trebek. More than playing or even watching. He really made that show. I wonder what will happen with it now.

Sylvia

TBD
When my parents immigrated, the very first shows they watched were Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy to learn English. RIP Alex Trebek.
Jackie Wong's tribute tweet a few hours ago: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1325499661512224768
I learned English after I immigrated to the US by watching TV. Game shows made up a huge part of that learning; #Jeopardy was my favorite. It was a lifelong goal for me to get there.

Thank you, Alex Trebek. You’ve changed the trajectory of people’s lives without even knowing it.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
When I first moved to the USA I got hooked on Jeopardy for a while and watched it on and off for many years before moving back to the UK. I really can't see anyone else hosting the show as he so made it his own.

R.I.P Alex - you will be missed :(
According to Alex a few months ago he had already picked his successor but he wouldn't say who that was. I'll bet it's one of the big 3 all-time winners: Brad Rutter, Ken Jennings, or James Hotzhauer. I love it when any of these 3 are on the show. I saw them all recently & James beat the 2 veterans.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
This year man.... :fragile:

RIP to this wonderful man. Sending lots of love and prayers to all his friends and family. He will be so missed. :wuzrobbed

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes, Ken won the Champions tournament thing.

If it’s going to be a former player, I’d think maybe Brad has the best chance. James- definitely not.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I was on a Danube river cruise in 2011 that the Trebek family was on as well. On the last night, a glassblower came to give a demonstration. The man had been held up in traffic, so Alex volunteered to help him set up, while asking many questions.

When the time came for a member of the audience to blow a Christmas ball ornament, Alex Trebek raised his hand. With great modesty, he identified himself as "Alex, from Canada". The rest of the cruisers chuckled, we all knew who he was but the German glassblower didn't have a clue.
Alex huffed and puffed and blew a perfectly round ball on his first attempt. A man of many talents!
RIP Alex.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
ABC lead its Sunday night news with Alex. Not the election. Not the crud. Quite a tribute.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
He handled his illness with such class and dignity. My Mom watched Jeopardy every night and loved Alex, but since I've been working from home I'm catching up on Buzzr tv viewing and Alex will remain in his late 40's with some questionable 1980's fashion choices. That show seems so dated now, but it's interesting to realize he was already also hosting Jeopardy at that time.

paskatefan

RIP to my favorite game show host of my favorite TV game show which we have watched for years. Alex, you fought the good fight. You were a very classy guy. May your memory be for a blessing.

screech

Yes, Ken won the Champions tournament thing.

If it’s going to be a former player, I’d think maybe Brad has the best chance. James- definitely not.
I'd go for Brad. Ken is more well known, but IMO he doesn't have the voice to host a show. Brad has a better voice for broadcasting and is more natural at presenting. As much as James is my favourite, I agree with you that he's a definitely not.

His calm, unrushed demeanor and clear enunciation made him really accessible to a lot of people.
I know a lot of people who have worked as teachers in non-English speaking countries (mainly Korea), and some were told that Canadians are their preferred teachers of English, because we speak more slowly and enunciate more clearly than other English speaking countries.

vgerdes

Alex Trebek was truly unique among game show hosts. Calm, reassuring and classy without being stuffy. He was an icon. No matter who tries to step into his shoes, they will have an enormous task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information