RIP Alex Trebek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan1

I really hope they pick Mayim!
I like Ken better. But I'm not going to stop watching if they pick her. Did you read the comments under? Several people mentioned how she hesitates before saying "correct". Drives me crazy. And she dresses like a 50's school teacher. (Shallow, I know, to say about a female.)

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
And she dresses like a 50's school teacher. (Shallow, I know, to say about a female.)
It may be a shallow observation, but it's accurate. Mayim does an adequate job of hosting, but for my money Ken is better. I suppose I understand the production team not wanting to select a white male as the host, but he is the best option.

Winnipeg

I will watch regardless of who is picked but I prefer Mayim. I agree re her dresses and suits and think the program should provide some fashion advice there.

I find Ken a bit smug and arrogant for my taste. He has nice suits though?

Susan1

I will watch regardless of who is picked but I prefer Mayim. I agree re her dresses and suits and think the program should provide some fashion advice there.

I find Ken a bit smug and arrogant for my taste. He has nice suits though?
I didn't like him doing that job at first either. I like Mike Richards the best when they were "trying out", but oh well. But Ken grew on me. I do like him better than I do her. But I will watch it (my DVR is set to tape all new episodes), whoever the host is. I don't even notice men's suits. They all look alike to me, as long as they are not green or loud plaid or something. :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She dresses that way on purpose. It's part of her religion to dress modestly and that's her interpretation of what that means.

Susan1

She dresses that way on purpose. It's part of her religion to dress modestly and that's her interpretation of what that means.

But nobody notices if a man wears the same suit. I mean, how many different colors of a standard suit are there? I might notice a tie if I either liked it or really thought it was ugly.

Winnipeg

True, so true. I thought the game show producers would cover their clothes and provide style guidelines?? Vanna's clothes are covered by W of F but she does not get to keep them.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Mayim is an observant Jew (Modern Orthodox, according to Wikipedia) and dresses modestly because of that. So I imagine she has some say in what she wears on the show, to ensure it follows her beliefs. She's not going to dress like Vanna any time soon :lol:

I actually like what she wears. Some of the colour/print combinations don't always work, but I appreciate that she wants to look serious and knowledgeable.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Funny, I find Mayim to be smug and Ken to be humorous. So I prefer Ken. I don't mind Mayim's modest attire at all.
I think her attire is entirely appropriate for this show. But I also find her smug. And her comments on why she dresses that way are also smug. And tone deaf.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't have an issue with her clothes or how she talks, but that commercial she does for memory pills or whatever ("more brain power? yes please!") makes me want to take a bath with my toaster.
Is it because she's hawking bullshit? :lol: (Seriously. The only reason they could find something to say that pill does is because of P-hacking.)

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I can't stand Mayim. Her holier-than-thou attitude and hypocrisy--her tone-deaf opinions about how women should dress and trying to play both sides. Her anti-vaccine stance, which she published in her 2012 parenting book, and then later switched gears after the incredible backlash she received and now says, oh no, her kids are vaxxed!. Using her neurology doctorate to imply that she has the same training and expertise as a medical doctor hocking her snake-oil "memory pills" to the poor and the desperate. In reality, by her own admission, she didn't have the grades or test scores to go to medical school. This is obvious in her flirtation with medical conspiracies, including but not limited to, C-sections are not real births and that birth control causes mental illness in women. There is a Rolling Stone article that sums all of this up really well.

Also, there's a difference between dressing modestly and dressing dowdy in order to prove some 1950s era ideal of modest beauty. As a teacher, I see women who dress modestly, professionally, tastefully and don't look like shapeless sofas with legs. Clothes can fit AND not be part of the Red Light Collection.

But I could get beyond all that because after all, she's the host of a game show and not a politician/journalist, if she had any rapport or warmth with the contestants. Which she does not. She's really awkward and not natural at all. I find Ken Jennings to be very aware that he is Ken Jennings and as Ken Jennings is much better than any of the contestants, but he looks like he's enjoying himself and has developed an easy manner during the chat section. Of course, to admit my foibles, my favorite was Aaron Rodgers :slinkaway I found Mike Richards to be overly practiced and smooth, like he was dreamed into being by a focus group. I wish they would have ultimately decided on none of the celebretestants and instead gone with someone relatively unknown. Alex Trebek's choice was Laura Coates; the Jeopardy! PTB didn't even want to talk to her.

I will however watch no matter what--it's the only show me, my brother, and my mother can agree on!

Winnipeg

I used to dislike KJ but I have changed my mind. He has grown on me as a host. I always liked Mayim as a host but not necessarily her views, especially wrt vax

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Is anyone watching Celebrity Jeopardy? It's enjoyable because it's Jeopardy but I really don't like the format. I don't understand why they don't do all the quarterfinals then all the semifinals. I also don't know who most of the celebrities are though most of them seem likable...except Iliza Schlessinger. I'll bet she's exhausting to be around. I was actually relieved when she lost :lol:

Susan1

This thread got buried, but I wanted to mention how good she looked the other night. She had on a black pantsuit and a black floral blouse that wasn't buttoned all the way up to the top or with a bow. Not low cut, just normal and respectable.

screech

Is anyone watching Celebrity Jeopardy? It's enjoyable because it's Jeopardy but I really don't like the format. I don't understand why they don't do all the quarterfinals then all the semifinals. I also don't know who most of the celebrities are though most of them seem likable...except Iliza Schlessinger. I'll bet she's exhausting to be around. I was actually relieved when she lost :lol:
I'm assuming it's shot that way because of celebrity schedules. Simu jokingly posted after his QF win that he had to change his dinner plans to shoot the semis. Since they normally shoot 5 episodes in one day, I'm assuming they book the stars for the day. I'm betting they filmed the entire thing in one single week - normal jeopardy on Monday as usual, then group 1 (QF and SF) Tuesday, group 2 Wednesday, Group 3 Thursday, Group 4 Friday.

I didn't mind Iliza all that much. Yes she's annoying, but you can tell she's really into the game. I was more annoyed with Eddie Huang and Reggie Watts (that entire QF, which included Iliza, was kind of insufferable)

Ike was just in a completely separate realm from everyone else. Andy Richter was seemingly so as well, until the mistake on Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information