RIP Alex Trebek

Status
Not open for further replies.

screech

People also complain about him only using last names in his responses (unless it requires clarification). However, that's something that's always been done - if you give the wrong first name it's a wrong answer, but if you give the right last name with no first name, it's right, and they prompt if further info is required.

I like Matt, and I'm happy with his accomplishments. However, I don't look forward to his episodes and make sure I don't miss them, the way I did with James.

It's too bad James is 'retired' and Ken can't compete (as a producer of the show) because that would be a great match up.

smurfy

Last week they had another skating question:
Category: Asian Americans
Clue - won 1992 Olympic skating Gold

1st wrong answer - Michelle Kwan
2nd wrong answer - Tara Lipinski
No one got it right.

I feel like such a nerd - when a topic like this that I know well comes up - I yell the answer/question at the tv.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Last week they had another skating question:
Category: Asian Americans
Clue - won 1992 Olympic skating Gold

1st wrong answer - Michelle Kwan
2nd wrong answer - Tara Lipinski
No one got it right.

I feel like such a nerd - when a topic like this that I know well comes up - I yell the answer/question at the tv.

At least they didn't guess Peggy Fleming or Dorothy Hamill.

screech

I decided to read James Holzhauer's Wikipedia page, which emphasized just how brilliant he was:
  • In his 33 appearances (32 wins), he only had one wrong answer in final jeopardy, and that was in game 6. His total winnings in that game were $27,190, which other than the game he lost ($24,799) was his lowest total score
  • His final appearance where he lost was the ONLY game where he was not leading heading into final jeopardy
  • During his run he broke the single day record 16 times, (he still holds the top 12 highest daily scores) and has the current record of $131,127. Matt's score of $83,000 from earlier this week ranks him only 13th in the records.
  • James averaged $75,362 per episode, an AVERAGE which is almost equal to the previous single day record of $77,000. His average winnings were more than Alex Trebek's estimated $43,000 per episode. The average Jeopardy winner takes home about $20,000 in a single day.
  • If he'd met his daily average on just one more game, he would have surpassed Ken Jennings' total, in less than half the number of games played
  • Though Matt puts out impressive scores and makes relatively big bets, at the time he won his 32nd game, his total winnings were about half of James' for that same time frame
  • He averaged 35.5 correct and only 1.04 wrong responses per game, and answered every clue correctly in the game he lost
  • He was correct on 72 of the 76 Daily Doubles he hit, with an average daily double wager of $9,000
  • Nielsen ratings for Jeopardy! rose 11% nationally during the first two weeks of James' run and as much as 50% in select local markets, with a continuing upward trend over the course of his streak; by the fourth week of his run, ratings were up 30% nationwide and had doubled in select markets. Though the result of his final game was spoiled online (I'm still mad about that) there were 14.5 million same-day viewers and was the third most watched episode of a running series in the 2018/2019 tv season (behind only the series finale of Big Bang theory, and a 60 minutes that aired after an NFL game).

Sylvia

TBD
Amy Schneider article:
Schneider, who has won 14 consecutive games, is now in fourth place for most winnings in regular-season play with $571,200 in total prize money thus far.
This puts Schneider behind only Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer and recent champ Matt Amodio. For their regular-season play earnings, Jennings won $2,520,700, Holzhauer won $2,462,216 and Amodio won $1,518,601.
Schneider's streak also puts her in seventh place in terms of consecutive games won and she is in eighth place in terms of all-time winnings (including tournaments) in "Jeopardy!" history.
The reigning champ is also making headlines for being a trans woman, blazing a path on the quiz show in terms of visibility and representation -- but she doesn't want that to solely define her.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
DH & I watch Jeopardy while eating dinner sometimes. We love Mayim Bialik but are majorly annoyed by Ken Jennings. His voice & his staccato style of talking is irritating. I like him when he's competing but hosting not so much.

We like Amy Schneider a lot. She's a welcome relief from recent winner Matt Amodio.

eta: corrected Matta to Matt :lol:

Last edited:

screech

Amy is absolutely brilliant. TOC this year will be amazing, with Amy, Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher... I'm actually really interested to see Matt and Amy playing against each other.

So the way they announce Ken and Mayim makes me think that Ken is still just a temporary host. For Mayim they said '... and now here is the host of Jeopardy, Mayim Bialik' (like they did with Alex). For Ken they say 'and now hosting Jeopardy is Ken Jennings', which makes it seem like it's a temporary thing.

I really hope Buzzy gets another shot at hosting.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Amy is absolutely brilliant. TOC this year will be amazing, with Amy, Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher... I'm actually really interested to see Matt and Amy playing against each other.

So the way they announce Ken and Mayim makes me think that Ken is still just a temporary host. For Mayim they said '... and now here is the host of Jeopardy, Mayim Bialik' (like they did with Alex). For Ken they say 'and now hosting Jeopardy is Ken Jennings', which makes it seem like it's a temporary thing.

I really hope Buzzy gets another shot at hosting.
I don't like Buzzy. He's too peppy & nerdy for me. I want a permanent host & I want that host to be Mayim.

Winnipeg

I did not realize she was trans gender. I knew she was gay but not trans gender. I am sorry she was robbed but glad she was not injured in the robbery.

Winnipeg

Mayim Balik is on tv recommending a drug to enhance brain performance. I know she has a PH.D. but she is not a medical doctor so I question her qualifications to recommend medications??? Am I off base here??

Winnipeg

I stand corrected, I just realized trans gender is the same as being gay. For some reason, I thought TG meant you had undergone medical procedures to changes one's gender.

Winnipeg

Thanks - trans means you actually dress to the gender you id with, whereas gay is outwardly you appear as the gender you were born as but you prefer the same gender for a partner.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Mayim Balik is on tv recommending a drug to enhance brain performance. I know she has a PH.D. but she is not a medical doctor so I question her qualifications to recommend medications??? Am I off base here??
The drug doesn't even work. They did some p-hacking to say it improved anything when their initial results showed no benefit.

Thanks - trans means you actually dress to the gender you id with, whereas gay is outwardly you appear as the gender you were born as but you prefer the same gender for a partner.
No, that's not it.

Transgender means you don't identify with the gender you were assigned at birth (which most likely corresponds to your chromosomes though no one knows what they are unless they get tested so maybe not). That's it, really. What transgender people do when they realize they are transgender varies. Some present socially as the gender they identify with but do nothing else. Some take hormones. Some take hormones and also have surgery. (And probably lots of other variations.)

Some transgender people are gay and some are straight. Just like cis people.

Susan1

What is that about? I have not kept up on Jeopardy gossip, LOL.
At the end of the first round, she started saying it was the end of Single Jeopardy (the first person to ever do that), I guess related to the second round which has always been called Double Jeopardy. There were complaints everywhere. Then it was Ken's turn to tape a bunch of shows. She is back and not saying Single Jeopardy anymore, so she got the message. I FF through a lot of the chatter. I wonder if she mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information