Netflix Series Il Caso Alex Schwazer

sadya

I'm watching the Netflix Series Il Caso Alex Schwazer. Since Schwazer admitted once to doping, I was curious how he'd explain for risking this willingly and knowingly. The dangers of doping are well known, other than it being a fake win for something in reality you're unable to do, and very unfair and unrespectful towards your competitors and the viewers/fans of the sport.

Of course I was curious about how he'd explain asking Kostner to do something which got her in trouble eventually. I'm halfway the second episode. So far, he seems to blame her more for not being there enough for him during his competitions (I went to several of hers, she didn't come to mine). When she wanted a pause, like a temporary break up, he remarked something like a relationship is supposed be for good and bad times. But about getting her in serious trouble, no real remorse shown in this documentary so far. I'm not sure what to think of this. If they want to share this private bit part, about why breaking up, then it doesn't explain it well. Better not explain it at all then, just leave that out. Now one could say that she was a bad selfish partner or one could say that he was the bad selfish one (though to be honest, he comes off worse for dragging her in his doping mess). Just explaining why he asked her to lie for him was enough.

How you watched this series? Do you find the doping reasons understandable? From what Schwazer said and what athletes in other sports have said, it seems that winning gold medals is like a drug. They want that feeling so badly, that they resort to doping. Using drugs for feeling the high of a gold medal (again).

Why does silver or bronze feel like losing for many athletes? Is this unhealthy opinion we all create in our society? Or is it more in the mind of the athlete? Should society celebrate silver and bronze more to give those better value? Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps this mindset is a residue of the past when countries wanted to show their superiority by winning competitions, Nazi Germany and the years of the Cold War are all examples of this. Are we still in that mindset?

What causes an athlete to only value gold? Or perhaps I can't understand this, because I never wanted to be the one and only best in something. I did enjoy it if I was one of the best. But it seems like a burden to be the one and only best (I didn't like it when growing up I was the best in something (not athletics mind you), you can't make mistakes, and if you make a mistake in that position then you're judged more harshly than others, and it felt lonely).

In several documentaries athletes and professionals explained that doping caused cancer and several athletes couldn't have children due to doping. Several athletes weren't even aware of the doping. Their sport clubs gave them all kinds of drinks and pills and told them these were vitamins. Decades later they realized it was doping and how much it had damaged their body. Who knows what damage the bodies might show of the current doping athletes.

Netflix trailer

Some articles about how doping ruined past athletes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information