RIP Betty White

D

Deleted member 221

I loved this Tweet from comedian Guy Branum:

"Betty White dying three weeks before she turned 100 is the final act of performer whose timing was always sharp, always unexpected, and even with the warmest of characters, always a little dangerous. No one else could live to 99 and so perfectly leave us wanting more."

So true.

This one hit me really hard, much harder than I expected. I think it's because I also lost my final grandparent in 2021, and Betty White's death is a reminder that my entire grandparents' generation is gone. Even the longest living are now dead. I've experienced plenty of death before, but this is the first time I've felt the loss of an entire generation. I guess this is welcome to middle age 🤪.

Sktwo

She wasn’t just a genius and a comic legend she was also a great human being. My favorite role of hers was as Catherine Piper on Boston Legal. One of the funniest shows ever was the Mary Tyler Moore episode where White’s Sue Ann Nivens tries to steal the husband of Cloris Leachman’s character Phyllis. Great fun.
If you can afford to, donate a little to an animal charity. She’d love that.

Susan1

She wasn’t just a genius and a comic legend she was also a great human being. My favorite role of hers was as Catherine Piper on Boston Legal. One of the funniest shows ever was the Mary Tyler Moore episode where White’s Sue Ann Nivens tries to steal the husband of Cloris Leachman’s character Phyllis. Great fun.
If you can afford to, donate a little to an animal charity. She’d love that.
They haven't even mentioned she was on Boston Legal. I loved that show.

Cachoo

I wonder how many will go forward with Betty birthday parties anyway.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
There's already talk about making January 17th Betty White Day where we show kindness to others and/or make a donation to an animal rescue society. I love that!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
This one hit me SO hard because it was like losing my last living grandparent. She's been around for so long that I just always thought she would be there. :( I used to watch the Golden Girls on Saturday nights as a kid with my grandma and all those ladies' deaths hit me hard for that reason, especially since that grandma has also passed away (1999). Betty was such a sweet and funny lady and I loved her passion for helping animals. Of course she was awesome on GG but I LOVED her on all those games shows from the 60's and 70's too. She was SUCH a hoot on shows like Password and Match Game! She is going to be SOOO missed and I will always remember her fondly. :fragile:

Heaven is a little more golden now. 💖

olympic

Is the actor who played Stanley Zbornak on The GG still alive? I'd like to think that while he was not a regular, he was the #5 on the show and still alive

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
He died in his 60s, apparently of emphysema.

He also had several memorable turns on Murder, She Wrote. Apparently, Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury were very good friends, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Seerek

Betty White - a perfect example of someone so ahead of her time, it took the industry a good 20-30 years to catch up to her to truly give her a proper showcase for her talents.

And essentially, nothing was out of scope for her: she did Bold and the Beautiful in the late 2000s, as well as countless animated features/series right up to her 90s.

Despite her pedigree - always a "Team player" first and foremost, such a rare quality that we'll likely never see again in the profession.

She understood that it's your humanity that defines you, not your "name" or your resume.

DFJ

My bday is Friday so my lovely daughter made a donation to the SPCA in my name as well as Betty's. A perfect birthday present.

Vagabond

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information