T0C 0J0

Can we add The staff at:
Rimbey Hospital Acute Care Center,
5228 - 50 Avenue,
Rimbey, AB
T0C 2J0

Gerry

Well, here we are. Today is Day 365.

A whole year has gone by while my beautiful wife has fought to return to us... we've had ups, downs, periods of consolidation, and times of crisis. We've maintained hope, grappled with uncertainty, and held the dike against fear. We've been supported by friends nearby, sustained by friends from afar, and occasionally been oh, so isolated and apart.

But never alone. Thank you for that.

Today, Lee continues to fight back; she has been unresponsive since the last surgery to remove her shunt; Her infection is clearing, the swelling and pressure are abating, and she continues to try to return to us. An MRI yesterday showed no stroke or obvious physical damage, and she is currently in for a CT scan to check the progress of normalizing her brain.; they're considering adjusting her EVD (External Ventricular Drain) to help her better maintain intra-cranial pressures. She seemed more awake and alert this morning, showing involuntary movements, so that's promising... but I might be imagining those things, too. Her Neuro team tells me that - for a normal person- getting the shunt removed takes time to recover from. So does a shunt infection of the type she has. So do antibiotic effects, so does sustained and repeated cranial pressures, so does ... and Lee has had all of those things.

Short answer is, they don't have a timeline for her recovery; she is a complex case. We could have told them that.

They are, as they continue to gather data, continuing the planned course... infectious disease team wants the antibiotic course to run another week, and then they will evaluate and decide when the shunt can be put back in, so for now she stays in ICU, with 1-1 specialized care.

Tomorrow, a new year begins. Thanks for hanging in with us.

barbarafan

Well, here we are. Today is Day 365.

A whole year has gone by while my beautiful wife has fought to return to us... we've had ups, downs, periods of consolidation, and times of crisis. We've maintained hope, grappled with uncertainty, and held the dike against fear. We've been supported by friends nearby, sustained by friends from afar, and occasionally been oh, so isolated and apart.

But never alone. Thank you for that.

Today, Lee continues to fight back; she has been unresponsive since the last surgery to remove her shunt; Her infection is clearing, the swelling and pressure are abating, and she continues to try to return to us. An MRI yesterday showed no stroke or obvious physical damage, and she is currently in for a CT scan to check the progress of normalizing her brain.; they're considering adjusting her EVD (External Ventricular Drain) to help her better maintain intra-cranial pressures. She seemed more awake and alert this morning, showing involuntary movements, so that's promising... but I might be imagining those things, too. Her Neuro team tells me that - for a normal person- getting the shunt removed takes time to recover from. So does a shunt infection of the type she has. So do antibiotic effects, so does sustained and repeated cranial pressures, so does ... and Lee has had all of those things.

Short answer is, they don't have a timeline for her recovery; she is a complex case. We could have told them that.

They are, as they continue to gather data, continuing the planned course... infectious disease team wants the antibiotic course to run another week, and then they will evaluate and decide when the shunt can be put back in, so for now she stays in ICU, with 1-1 specialized care.

Tomorrow, a new year begins. Thanks for hanging in with us.

We really need a love button. Thank-you so much for the update. I didn't expect Lee to wake up yet as she does take a long while on much simpler procedures and sleeping is healing. All these meds and procedures have shuffled everything around and her body and brain need to take stock of all these things and decide how she will proceed to heal. Medicine and procedures are a great part of healing but the biggest part is Lee herself.She is gathering strength and fortitude and when she is ready to jump in the battle those beloved eyes will open and focus. Stay strong and full of hope. Always thinking of your team.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
@Gerry all you can do is take each day as it comes. Lee is still here so it's a good day. If someone had told you a year ago, she'd still be in the hospital, you wouldn't have thought it possible that either of you could survive. But, you have. Today begins a new trip around the sun for Lee. The adventure continues.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I am so sorry that your ordeal continues, but throughout your extended challenges your love for and dedication to Lee shines through like a beacon of hope. "In sickness and in health" - I hope that Lee will progressively move from the former to the latter.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Continuing to keep you both in my heart and mind. What an intense struggle that you've both been through, and are still going through. I can't imagine a more supportive and loving partner than you've been throughout all of this. Thank you for continuing to keep us updated as much as possible.

Spun Silver

This probably doesn’t seem like an anniversary to celebrate but in years to come you will look back and marvel at how you did it. It takes vast strength, strength you didn’t know you had, to be “the family” in this kind of continuing crisis, and for so long. I only say “*you* will look back” because it sounds like Lee may not remember much of it. She will be intensely involved in her own struggle to recover and to process what happened to her. (I am projecting here... to this day my husband doesn’t remember the first months after his injury or my role in his recovery, and that is quite common with brain injury survivors.) But your and Lee’s family, friends, supporters and caregivers know. A lot of brain injury spouses are either diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder or experience the symptoms without the diagnosis. A lot more work lies ahead — please make rest, relief, small pleasures and normalcy a part of your daily routine so you can keep up this superhero’s job you have been called on to do.

I didnt know @Really before this but man, she must be one hell of a lady to inspire such love. And did she ever pick the right guy! God send you both palpable healing in this holiday season. May the next year be very different from this one, and truly happy for you both.

dinakt

Dear @Gerry,
Thank you so much for letting us in on Lee's journey to recovery. Everything you write is such a testament to Lee's fighting spirit, your devotion to her, the marvel of modern medicine and the dedication of medical professionals... I wish you with all my heart that the beginning of the second year sees Lee overcoming all the obstacles and getting better.
Thanks again.

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Unresponsive, but with all the surgeries Lee has been battling, her body needs to adjust. THAT's what I think. Lee and you are in my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information