Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.H.Black

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/nathan-chen-slaythan-fans-thread.97713/

Could someone who knows Russian please translate generally what was said following the program - especially by the male commentator. Tarasova was effusive, but the man seemed to be genuinely choked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQWeyoOvoQ Love Scott's comments about Nathan's skating - although it wasn't 34 points.

One of my favorite parts of watching Nathan skate are his hands - always relaxed, never strained, always in great "position"

My greatest concern about Nathan, these days, is he seems to get sick way too often. Thank Heavens this year it happened between Nationals and Worlds and not during.

Last edited:

livetoskate

What Nathan did was amazing. He was essentially training alone and mostly coaching himself while juggling a regular courseload at Yale. I remember what it was like in college, with so many distractions and new things to adjust to being on your own. I remember gaining weight from the all you can eat cafeterias and socializing, and the temptation to sleep in because no one cared if you skipped class-- it was all on you. But somehow, Nathan had the drive and incredible self-motivation to see through and plan/execute everything. Practicing and exercising alone, driving alone to another rink to practice some more before going back to study. I can't believe it! Remember Kevin Shum's mind boggling essay about juggling MIT with skating, and he had his coaches there to hold him accountable. Nathan is the king and such a role model to all!

sk9tingfan

What Nathan did was amazing. He was essentially training alone and mostly coaching himself while juggling a regular courseload at Yale. I remember what it was like in college, with so many distractions and new things to adjust to being on your own. I remember gaining weight from the all you can eat cafeterias and socializing, and the temptation to sleep in because no one cared if you skipped class-- it was all on you. But somehow, Nathan had the drive and incredible self-motivation to see through and plan/execute everything. Practicing and exercising alone, driving alone to another rink to practice some more before going back to study. I can't believe it! Remember Kevin Shum's mind boggling essay about juggling MIT with skating, and he had his coaches there to hold him accountable. Nathan is the king and such a role model to all!

The guys from British Eurosport agree with your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cc6UYdEIg

Marco

This is awesome. But Raf also deserves credit. According to rockerskating, Nathan's jumps weren't nearly as solid as in the free skate at the start of the week. They really worked together to refine them during the limited time they had.

I also haven't seen Raf so happy for a long time - both Michal Brezina and he made Raf so happy, which is so tough given the week he had with the ladies.

mtnskater

Nathan’s exhibition programs were truly amazing to me. He is really letting the performer out, doing more difficult choreography and gets more down in his knees than in competition. I felt his artistic impression actually surpassed Hanyu this Worlds, which I never thought I’d see. Can he still improve...absolutely (so can Hanyu). If you haven’t watched his exhibition skates take the time to do so!

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh communicated with Kurt Browning, Brian Boitano, Shae-Lynn Bourne, Rafael Arutunian and Nathan briefly for this article: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...-matches-standard-for-transcendent-greatness/
Excerpt:
Even as he noted it was a great feeling to win against “a full roster this time,” Chen sees the meaning of the second title in a more nuanced way than simply for having taken the top spot from Hanyu.
“We’re in completely different (places) in skating,” Chen said. “He has accomplished so, so much. It’s not like I’m trying to take over what he has started. I want to respect everything he has done in the sport and for the sport.
“I’m in the generation below him. He’s always been a person for me to look up to, for me to try to close the gap to be close to him. It’s a little foreign for me to be in this position. At the same time, I have put in the work to be in this position.”

Jislav

I was not a big fan of Nathan when he first won his national title 3 seasons ago. I found his program to be very empty at that moment. Last year, I started being a fan of him, especially because of his very cool short program. However, I still think his free program was kind of boring.

This year, WOW! I clearly became a real fan of him. I LOVED both programs. I love the maturity he got and he clearly improved his performance quality.

His programs in Saitama were awesome and that exhibition number is very good as well.

shine

Nathan’s exhibition programs were truly amazing to me. He is really letting the performer out, doing more difficult choreography and gets more down in his knees than in competition. I felt his artistic impression actually surpassed Hanyu this Worlds, which I never thought I’d see. Can he still improve...absolutely (so can Hanyu). If you haven’t watched his exhibition skates take the time to do so!
I never doubted that his artistic expression could surpass....a lot of people. One only has to watch some of his junior programs. I firmly believe that if he didn't have to focus so much on the quads, he would be one of the most artistic skaters skating today. His Chopin program from 2015 is one my favourite programs, of anyone, ever. Incredible sensitivity and depth especially for someone so young. It also speaks to the sheer range in the types of music he's able to interpret - and I've always believed that versatility is one key quality to all great artists.

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member

Fiero425

Where I come from, not knowing about different Russian transliteration would get you in serious trouble. Bad error on your part, totally unacceptable. You should be in the slammer with Tonia and Maryah Bell.

So you think Bell actually is a bully? We know these silly "prima donnas" are spoiled rotten; just didn't think any would do something as stupid as get busted on video picking on another skater! Lucky the IFSA's blowing it all off! :rolleyes: :COP: :duh:

Spun Silver

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/sports/nathan-chen-yale.html

That kind of mistake got you in serious trouble at the journalism school I attended. Bad erro on the part of the author, totally unacceptable.
I think you would have to know Russian or Armenian to make that call. I know nothing about Armenian but both it and Russian have whole different alphabets. Raf's real name is in one of those alphabets, not English. Transliterations vary. Eg, Aliona vs Aljona, Julia vs Yulia, Tatyana vs Tatiana, Zoueva vs Zueva, etc. Just compare different translations of Russian novels. Individuals may choose one English spelling, but that doesn't mean there aren't others that are acceptable.

Last edited:

Tomma

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/nathan-chen-slaythan-fans-thread.97713/

Could someone who knows Russian please translate generally what was said following the program - especially by the male commentator. Tarasova was effusive, but the man seemed to be genuinely choked up.

Male commentator is Yagudin. Sorry, my English is not very good, but here it is.

TAT: Bravo! And the audience gets up again, just jumps out, despite the fact that he is American, and not Japanese. It was just fantastic. It was fantastic. He had a huge margin in the short program ... Lesha here Yagudin cries and I can cry too, because these are guys, this is skating, this is the direction! This is a distance training, this is character. Rafik my God, I congratulate you.

Y: Rafael Arutyunyan, Nadezhda Kanaeva and of course he - Nathan Chen ... oh, how good that I finished skating, how good that we all finished skating. Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: “Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?”. Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh...

TAT: You know nothing even to say. And what marks do they give him?

Y: Tatyana Anatolyevna, they give... if Yuzuru has 110 on his technique, he has 120 here!

TAT: He can’t be lower in technique, he has this high lutz and flip, Yuzuru has a loop...

Grishin (other commentator): The man put three combinations in the second part, he performed everything according to the max, Lz, F, T, A and combination with the quad in the second part.

TAT: Everything, everything! And like a guy so simple, in a T-shirt, as they say. The shirt has nerves drawn, which he holds in his fists. He studies at Yale University, trains remotely, cannot afford to rest for one day. Bravo!

Y: You know, in the cinema there are dramas, comedies, there are different genres, and there is a fantasy, this is a film that we have just watched - this is fantastic. 216 record after record! 323 points!

TAT: Oh, how lovely, how lovely is this men's single skating.

shine

Male commentator is Yagudin. Sorry, my English is not very good, but here it is.

TAT: Bravo! And the audience gets up again, just jumps out, despite the fact that he is American, and not Japanese. It was just fantastic. It was fantastic. He had a huge margin in the short program ... Lesha here Yagudin cries and I can cry too, because these are guys, this is skating, this is the direction! This is a distance training, this is character. Rafik my God, I congratulate you.

Y: Rafael Arutyunyan, Nadezhda Kanaeva and of course he - Nathan Chen ... oh, how good that I finished skating, how good that we all finished skating. Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: “Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?”. Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh...

TAT: You know nothing even to say. And what marks do they give him?

Y: Tatyana Anatolyevna, they give... if Yuzuru has 110 on his technique, he has 120 here!

TAT: He can’t be lower in technique, he has this high lutz and flip, Yuzuru has a loop...

Grishin (other commentator): The man put three combinations in the second part, he performed everything according to the max, Lz, F, T, A and combination with the quad in the second part.

TAT: Everything, everything! And like a guy so simple, in a T-shirt, as they say. The shirt has nerves drawn, which he holds in his fists. He studies at Yale University, trains remotely, cannot afford to rest for one day. Bravo!

Y: You know, in the cinema there are dramas, comedies, there are different genres, and there is a fantasy, this is a film that we have just watched - this is fantastic. 216 record after record! 323 points!

TAT: Oh, how lovely, how lovely is this men's single skating.
Thank you! TBH, they are not making a whole lot of sense, but I love it nonetheless. :rofl:

Tomma

Thank you! TBH, they are not making a whole lot of sense, but I love it nonetheless. :rofl:

LOL, most likely due to my translation. :) Like, for example, in “these are guys, this is skating”, you should read this as “wow, these guys, wow, this skating”. When Yagudin says that he is glad that he finished skating, he means that he is glad that he does not need to compete with Chen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information