Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
The U.S. Olympic Committee invited Nathan to visit the National Center for Child Health and Development in Setagaya in western Tokyo (before he traveled to Osaka for Stars on Ice coming up this weekend) and he shared 3 photos from his visit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvgjT1gn-uy/

After the 3 SOI Osaka shows (Friday-Sunday) I assume Nathan will head back to college and then he is scheduled to return to Japan for World Team Trophy, April 10-14 in Fukuoka.

olympic

Male commentator is Yagudin. Sorry, my English is not very good, but here it is.

TAT: Bravo! And the audience gets up again, just jumps out, despite the fact that he is American, and not Japanese. It was just fantastic. It was fantastic. He had a huge margin in the short program ... Lesha here Yagudin cries and I can cry too, because these are guys, this is skating, this is the direction! This is a distance training, this is character. Rafik my God, I congratulate you.

Y: Rafael Arutyunyan, Nadezhda Kanaeva and of course he - Nathan Chen ... oh, how good that I finished skating, how good that we all finished skating. Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: “Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?”. Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh...

TAT: You know nothing even to say. And what marks do they give him?

Y: Tatyana Anatolyevna, they give... if Yuzuru has 110 on his technique, he has 120 here!

TAT: He can’t be lower in technique, he has this high lutz and flip, Yuzuru has a loop...

Grishin (other commentator): The man put three combinations in the second part, he performed everything according to the max, Lz, F, T, A and combination with the quad in the second part.

TAT: Everything, everything! And like a guy so simple, in a T-shirt, as they say. The shirt has nerves drawn, which he holds in his fists. He studies at Yale University, trains remotely, cannot afford to rest for one day. Bravo!

Y: You know, in the cinema there are dramas, comedies, there are different genres, and there is a fantasy, this is a film that we have just watched - this is fantastic. 216 record after record! 323 points!

TAT: Oh, how lovely, how lovely is this men's single skating.

I understood the male commentator stating that he is glad he quit skating. Surprised to know it was Yagudin!

A.H.Black

Nathan will be in Salt Lake City on April 6th

Salt Lake Figure Skating's Nathan Chen defends his World Title! He will be visiting Salt Lake City on April 6th and making a social appearance at the 2019 US Adult Figure Skating Championship held at the Salt Lake City Sports Complex (by the U of U) that evening. Please help us show our support to Nathan in person and get your All Even Pass to the Adult Championships now at www.skatesaltlake.org or get a Day Pass at the door. Let's raise the roof on April 6th!!
From the SLFS facebook page.

sk9tingfan

Nathan will be in Salt Lake City on April 6th

From the SLFS facebook page.

I wonder if he has flown back to be at Yale for this week, stop in Salt Lake City, then LA with a flight to Japan. He may be superhuman, but unless he has fast tracked his remaining school work, etc. I can't imagine how he can handle everything including jet lag.

Japanfan

What Nathan did was amazing. He was essentially training alone and mostly coaching himself while juggling a regular courseload at Yale. I remember what it was like in college, with so many distractions and new things to adjust to being on your own. I remember gaining weight from the all you can eat cafeterias and socializing, and the temptation to sleep in because no one cared if you skipped class-- it was all on you. But somehow, Nathan had the drive and incredible self-motivation to see through and plan/execute everything. Practicing and exercising alone, driving alone to another rink to practice some more before going back to study. I can't believe it! Remember Kevin Shum's mind boggling essay about juggling MIT with skating, and he had his coaches there to hold him accountable. Nathan is the king and such a role model to all!

But not everyone can do what Nathan is doing, and shouldn't be expected to. In which case, a more realistic role model would be needed.

I wouldn't want parents who have particularly high expectations for their children to pressure them to do succeed at two different things, like Nathan is.

Nathan is obviously a very disciplined individual, and I would guess that he thrives on pressure. I would also wager that he is very good at compartmentalizing - putting school aside when he is skating, and skating aside when he is studying or attending classes. Add to that he is okay working remotely with his coach. I would think that not all skaters would thrive in that situation.

I remember Tessa Virtue saying that she couldn't handle being in a committed relationship while she was competing, as Scott could do.

So athletes capacity to commit to things beyond their sport varies.

Dobre

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan is also scheduled to perform for the 3rd consecutive year in Japan's annual national team exhibition Dreams on Ice in Yokohama, June 28-30: http://www.onice.jp/DOI19/guests.html

He will perform in 9 of the 13 U.S. Stars on Ice shows this spring (he's missing the first show on April 18 and the 3 shows during final exam week in early May).

Coach Rafael spoke quite a bit about Nathan in this post-Worlds Russian interview - link to a translation is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...w-with-rafael-arutyunyan.105448/#post-5569576

sk9tingfan

Nathan is also scheduled to perform for the 3rd consecutive year in Japan's annual national team exhibition Dreams on Ice in Yokohama, June 28-30: http://www.onice.jp/DOI19/guests.html

He will perform in 9 of the 13 U.S. Stars on Ice shows this spring (he's missing the first show on April 18 and the 3 shows during final exam week in early May).

Coach Rafael spoke quite a bit about Nathan in this post-Worlds Russian interview - link to a translation is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...w-with-rafael-arutyunyan.105448/#post-5569576
Nathan was at Michelle's Chubb Fellow lecture today. I wouldn't be surprised if they were having dinner tonight.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL, most likely due to my translation. :) Like, for example, in “these are guys, this is skating”, you should read this as “wow, these guys, wow, this skating”. When Yagudin says that he is glad that he finished skating, he means that he is glad that he does not need to compete with Chen.

Thanks a bunch for the translation and the additional translation. But please, more help. What does Yags mean by this:

"Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: 'Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?' Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh..."

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Thanks a bunch for the translation and the additional translation. But please, more help. What does Yags mean by this:

"Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: 'Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?' Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh..."
He meant that borrowing the medals was the Russian guys’ only chance to get close to them

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@Tomma you did a great job translating. I am going to clarify a few things since people are asking.

Male commentator is Yagudin. Sorry, my English is not very good, but here it is.

TAT: Bravo! And the audience gets up again, just jumps out, despite the fact that he is American, and not Japanese. It was just fantastic. It was fantastic. He had a huge margin in the short program ... Lesha here Yagudin cries and I can cry too, because these are guys, this is skating, this is the direction! This is a distance training, this is character. Rafik my God, I congratulate you.

Y: Rafael Arutyunyan, Nadezhda Kanaeva and of course he - Nathan Chen ... oh, how good that I finished skating, how good that we all finished skating. Now I remember the words of a journalist who asked me one question before the world: “Do Russians have a chance to take a place in the top three?”. Well, I don’t know a place in the top three, if you just ask the guys in the locker room to hold the medals. Oh...

TAT: You know nothing even to say. And what marks do they give him? Y: Tatyana Anatolyevna, they give... if Yuzuru has 110 on his technique, he has 120 here!
Here TAT was wondering what the judges were giving Nathan for his FS. And Yagudin and Grishin together said Tatiana Anatolievna, who cares. And then it was cute: I think Yagudin says Yuzuru has a 110 tech and Nathan has (TOGETHER WITH GRISHIN) ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY!

TAT: He can’t be lower in technique, he has this high lutz and flip, Yuzuru has a loop...
TAT meant something like Nathan's 4z has hangtime, it hangs in the air.

Your translation seemed great to me. It was probably literal or close. People often don't speak in clear full sentences, esp when they're crying with excitement, LOL .
OMG they were having puppies and kittens. Completely beside themselves, all three of them. All the ooofs and ooooh aaahs made for great television.

And yes, Yagudin is so relieved he doesn't have to compete with Nathan

A.H.Black

I had hoped the local stations were waiting for Nathan's appearance to do stories about his Worlds victory. There was almost nothing during competition week. So far, I haven't seen anything. It's pretty disappointing - especially in a city/state where 87% expressed support of Olympics returning in a recent poll.

sk9tingfan

I had hoped the local stations were waiting for Nathan's appearance to do stories about his Worlds victory. There was almost nothing during competition week. So far, I haven't seen anything. It's pretty disappointing - especially in a city/state where 87% expressed support of Olympics returning in a recent poll.
'ITA. About two weeks ago, I sent an email to The Today show indicating that given Nathan's accomplishments, he has not received the attention/recognition that he deserves. But then again, between his competitions, touring and school, perhaps nothing could be scheduled.

nathanfan

'ITA. About two weeks ago, I sent an email to The Today show indicating that given Nathan's accomplishments, he has not received the attention/recognition that he deserves. But then again, between his competitions, touring and school, perhaps nothing could be scheduled.

Likely his agent would be on it - I believe she’s also Alysa’s agent, and she was at Worlds with him. He did appear in a Japanese TV news feature though!
https://youtu.be/toWKW8jk-Y0

Would love to see him on Jimmy Fallon or something - hopefully in the future.

Firedancer

I’m sure Nathan is busy and doesn’t have a lot of extra time. But they could have at least done something brief about his win. Maybe pre-recorded something. What he has accomplished in the last two seasons is outstanding. They had time to talk about Mariah/Eunsoo. They should have had time for Nathan.

A.H.Black

I understand why the national media doesn't pay as much attention as they should - they don't cover other individual sports very well either. Also, it was the first week of the NCAAs.

However, when his home town (and a local media which prides itself on their coverage of the Olympics and Olympic sports) pays attention only to the NCAAs, it's frustrating. Also, Firedancer is right, even the local media paid attention to the scandal that wasn't. My accountant asked me about it when I went in for taxes, but hadn't heard anything about Nathan. I should get my act together and start making noise.

For me, it's not about Nathan having time for interviews and such - he doesn't. It's about covering the sport when the hometown boy makes good - and he was in town this week and available if someone did want an interview.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
The guys from British Eurosport agree with your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cc6UYdEIg

Hmmm. Video has been removed. We are not allowed to hear (or see) what Eurosport guys had to say about this performance. There are still official NBC videos up on Youtube of Nathan's U.S. championships performances and Worlds performances for 2019. But no other video versions are allowed these days on Youtube.

My accountant asked me about [faux Bell vs Lim scandal] when I went in for taxes, but hadn't heard anything about Nathan.

:eek: :huh: :(

Last edited:

A.H.Black

The Russian version is still up - or was last night. There is also a German version of the whole last group. My German is very elementary but I think the commentator was very favorable.

meer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information