Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauravvv

Even without H/D's lift deduction, C/B would still have won (H/D also lost levels on their spin). And a well-deserved win! They would have won the TES even with H/D getting full credit for both of those elements and IMO, should have scored higher in PCS.
Probably they would have won the TES, but not the FD. H/D lost 6.30 points in base value on the lift and spin, but you did not take into consideration the lost GOE on the lift. I think they would have won the FD just by a bit, though - maybe tenths or even hundredths of a mark. But, if Hubbell's twizzle would have been level 4 instead of 3 also with higher GOE, the difference would have been a bit larger. As for the PCS - that is questionable. H/D have the stronger skating skills and, even if we don't like their FD theme that much, they perform and interpret it quite well.

That said, I do like Madison and Evan's programs better this season, and I am really glad for them, but I also wish they wouldn't have had to win in this way. Unfortunately, it probably lessend their joy for their win somewhat, as they seem to be really friendly with H/D.

Debbie S

Probably they would have won the TES, but not the FD. H/D lost 6.30 points in base value on the lift and spin, but you did not take into consideration the lost GOE on the lift. I think they would have won the FD just by a bit, though - maybe tenths or even hundredths of a mark. But, if Hubbell's twizzle would have been level 4 instead of 3 also with higher GOE, the difference would have been a bit larger.
At the GPF, H/D scored 6.73 for that lift. Today, they scored 1.62. So they lost about 5-5.5 pts. They also got L2 on their spin at the GPF and scored a little less than what they scored today. But each time, they received mostly 3s and 4s, so I don't know how much higher their GOE would have gone today - judges aren't told the level calls in real time. And yes, if Hubbell had done her twizzles perfectly, they would have gotten more points, just as Madi and Evan would have if their step sequences had been scored L4. There are lots of "ifs", but it's a sport and your placement is based on what you do at that particular comp. I only mentioned the TES prior to the reviews b/c I thought it was worth noting that today, C/B's TES was higher than H/D's even before deductions and that the lift, which everyone is focusing on, was not the sole factor in C/B's win.

Should be an exciting Worlds! I hope Madi and Evan continue their streak of great performances!

mollymgr

For me, a win is a win. I can understand if someone fell or had some unfortunate circumstance that it might take away from it. But in this case, C/B skated lights out. While I wasn't expecting H/D to be 4th, it shouldn't really diminish C/B's win in any way. Even without H/D in the picture they had a lot to fight for with their comeback on the international stage. IMO C/B should have won at Nationals too. I thought they were slightly more comfortable with their programs here than Nationals.

lauravvv

At the GPF, H/D scored 6.73 for that lift. Today, they scored 1.62. So they lost about 5-5.5 pts. They also got L2 on their spin at the GPF and scored a little less than what they scored today. But each time, they received mostly 3s and 4s, so I don't know how much higher their GOE would have gone today - judges aren't told the level calls in real time.
I was not comparing their scores or mistakes to other competitions, just looking at what they got here, and what they could have gotten without those mistakes. So, with a level 4 spin they would have gotten 7 to 7.5 points more - that's 126.71 or 127.21 points in the FD in total. Of course, that's a "what if" scenario, and Madison and Evan could have gotten a level 4 step sequence as well, like you said. Or Hubbell/Donohue could have gotten level 4s on their OFSts (theoretically). But you started this "what if" conversation with your "even without H/D's lift deduction, C/B would still have won" :).

arakwafan2006

I love that this happened. The win. The circumstances are unfortunate because talk about most improved , especially after an injury. It looks like, what injury

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The Four Cs finals told us that anything can happen in a given competition. I have the utmost respect for Papadakis/Cizeron but anything can happen in March. C/B are so smart & capable in presenting a totally different style than P/C's usual romance. Also - watch out for next year's Broadway-style RDs. I totally see C/B excelling in that sort of program.

DreamSkates

I can't help but laugh about that. The whole thing was super awkward and they seemed at a loss as to what to do during that moment.
Before they left the K & C someone came over - you can hear them saying something about the stationery lift. At least they knew at that time, why they lost so many points.
I didn't laugh - felt for them to have lost a medal when they thought they had done everything possible to win gold.

VGThuy

I meant C/B. Their reaction was kind of funny because they were shocked at H/D's huge score drop and felt bad for their training-mates/friends but at the same time they just won their first ever 4CC title and ISU championship title.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The Four Cs finals told us that anything can happen in a given competition. I have the utmost respect for Papadakis/Cizeron but anything can happen in March. C/B are so smart & capable in presenting a totally different style than P/C's usual romance. Also - watch out for next year's Broadway-style RDs. I totally see C/B excelling in that sort of program.
Oh thank G-d. If I hear one more Latin Rhythm I shall have to consider a different sport to love.

suki

I'm with you. Foregone conclusions kill a sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information