Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

LeafOnTheWind

I'm waiting for Hamlet to start and so far I'm the only one here. Better seats were reserved in the theater when I got my ticket. I plan on moving if they forget to show up.

LeafOnTheWind

This is the National Theatre Live production of Hamlet, with Benedict Cumberbatch, correct? I saw it a couple of years ago, and it was excellent.

Yes. It was one of the Fathom Events at our local theater. I've been trying to pay more attention to those because they have a great variety of classic films, opera, Ghibli Studio anime. I wouldn't have a chance to see some of these without it. :)

I did see Wizard of Oz when it they re-released it in January. It's a different experience watching it on a big screen instead of tv.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm not really on board with Disney, but I have to say Beyonce and Donald Glover sound really good together:

I also love the arrangement of this song. The only issue I have is that Seth Rogan as Pumba sounds more like Kermit the Frog than the Pumba I'm familiar with. I guess it's just an adjustment.

manhn

I watched Support the Girls. Regina Hall was so great. I love characters who are competent. You root for her, not for her to win the lottery, get the guy, save the world, etc. Just to have some peace and quiet.

VGThuy

I watched Support the Girls. Regina Hall was so great. I love characters who are competent. You root for her, not for her to win the lottery, get the guy, save the world, etc. Just to have some peace and quiet.

One of my fave movies last year as well. It was so grounded and real and yet you’re so invested.

VGThuy

This trailer for Yellow Rose about a young aspiring Filipino-American country singer in Texas and dealing with life with questionable legal status looks amazing:

Two-time and recent Tony nominee Eva Noblezada stars and Tony winner Lea Salonga is in a supporting role. Nice to see the two "Kims" from Miss Saigon in one movie. Alt-country musician Dale Watson composed the music.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

22 July is a very good movie about how a young man (and his family) deal with the aftermath of a mass shooting. Specifically the 2011 attacks in Norway. Expertly direct by Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips, United 93, three Bourne movies), the movie starts with the attack, which is no easy task as in lesser hands it could have easily come off as sensationalism. This part is just a small part of the movie though, we then get to see the recovery of the central character, who is to testify at the trial of the attacker. Another interesting aspect of the movie is the lawyer picked by the man who committed the attack and how the two interact leading up to the trial. Definitely recommended.

Trailer for 22 July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpUZGmHJB8

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And the new 007 is Lashana Lynch.
Though she's not Bond. I thought that was a clever way to switch over. I've been pretty bored with the Bond series for a while but Lynch was great in Captain Marvel (best part of the movie to me) and I'm looking forward to this new iteration.

snoopy

I coincidentally saw both Bohemian Rhapsody and Yesterday this week-end. I thought Yesterday was the better movie and really enjoyed it despite not being a Beatles fan. The whole premise just sounded tacky to me but it was well put together, had a surprisingly sweet storyline, and people did the right thing! I would watch that movie again and I hardly ever feel that way.

Bohemian Rhapsody was kind of a hot mess. But the music was good.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

smurfy

I coincidentally saw both Bohemian Rhapsody and Yesterday this week-end. I thought Yesterday was the better movie and really enjoyed it despite not being a Beatles fan. The whole premise just sounded tacky to me but it was well put together, had a surprisingly sweet storyline, and people did the right thing! I would watch that movie again and I hardly ever feel that way.

Bohemian Rhapsody was kind of a hot mess. But the music was good.

I loved 'Yesterday' - and was skeptical. And as I was enjoying it in the middle - I thought how are they going to handle the ending and it was so good. There is one thing that is corny - but it is done well and warms my heart.

watchthis!!

Just watched a TV-movie from 1995 that was much better than I expected. Freefall: Flight 174 (also known as "Falling from the Sky: Flight 174") is about the flight of a new airplane around the time that Canada was changing from the imperial system to the metric system. The amount of fuel needed for the flight was mis-calculated, which resulted in the plane running out of fuel mid-flight. The trailer I'll post below might look a bit hokey, but the script is so well structured that your interest in the story keeps building up until the big final moments. The movie stars William Devane, Shelley Hack (Charlie's Angels), Molly Parker and Mariette Hartley.

Trailer for Freefall: Flight 174 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnSHnqyXqmg

VGThuy

Holy crap. Someone committed arson at Kyoto Animation Anime Studio. One person died and dozens were injured.

This studio was behind one of the best and emotionally resonate animated films I've seen recently on Netflix, A Silent Voice.

VGThuy

I'm still reeling in from that horrific news. This is a serious blow to the animation community for many reasons, and apparently it was one of the few animation studios in Japan that treated their employees well, as it's an industry full of of worker exploitation with unforgiving expectations of labor exertion.

That said, I think I'll just make a separate thread on this so that this thread will get back on track.

Cats released a new trailer and someone said it made him hate his real life cat. I have to agree:

I don't like Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "Memory" at all.

Also, I looked at the reviews for The Lion King and ouch! Some of them are scathing. That said, it'll make over a billion dollars and maybe it'll win a few Oscars because we're in 2019 and that's what we do now.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
What I don't understand is how this can be a "live-action" version of The Lion King when it's all being done with CGI!

ETA and that Cats trailer was creepy.

VGThuy

What I don't understand is how this can be a "live-action" version of The Lion King when it's all being done with CGI!

ETA and that Cats trailer was creepy.

Yeah, I think people are still saying that for lack of a better term to differentiate it from the 2D animated film. Maybe photo-realistic remake isn't as catchy?

ilovepaydays

Count me in as another one that’s skeptical about the Lion King remake.

I’m not a fan of most musicals anyway, but nothing would make me watch Cats again. My mom took me to watch it live when I was five years old. It gave me nightmares. (Yes, I’m aware that there are people here that will :lol: at me for this.)

VGThuy

Count me in as another one that’s skeptical about the Lion King remake.

I’m not a fan of most musicals anyway, but nothing would make me watch Cats again. My mom took me to watch it live when I was five years old. It gave me nightmares. (Yes, I’m aware that there are people here that will at me for this.)

I think Cats would be a very scary experience for a five year old...especially the audience participation part where see them up close and in your face and grabbing you like that.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Cats, Top Gun, and the return of scrunchies -- the '80s just refuse to lie quietly in the grave, don't they?

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Also, I looked at the reviews for The Lion King and ouch! Some of them are scathing. That said, it'll make over a billion dollars and maybe it'll win a few Oscars because we're in 2019 and that's what we do now.
Nah, Frozen 2 comes out in November and everyone will forget The Lion King remake happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information