Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Japanfan

I just saw the Downton Abbey trailer and, as someone who finished the series, I'm left wondering what is the point of this movie? Is it just fan service finishing up storylines of characters of the show while having gratuitous shots of the estate and costumes with Maggie Smith slinging sometimes witty one-liners or will it actually be about something deeper?

I saw that too and thought the same. I don't expect the movie will be very good, TBH, but I might go see it anyway just to enjoy the characters.

Also, the trailer suggested romances for Mary and Edith. This bothered me, since they both married at the end of the series, which was a nice way to wrap it up.

SandraMGfan

I will also see it because I lived the TV series - but yes seems a bit pointless.
Cynical me would say that everyone ‘needed’ the work as no one has really seen their career boom big time from the success of DA?

Japanfan

Cynical me would say that everyone ‘needed’ the work as no one has really seen their career boom big time from the success of DA?

That may be true, but the DA cast, particularly the major players, probably don't need to ever work for money again in their lifetimes.

VGThuy

I will also see it because I lived the TV series - but yes seems a bit pointless.

I did see Harry Hadden-Paton (Edith's husband) in his Tony-nominated performance in My Fair Lady on Broadway. He changed the way I viewed "Henry Higgins" and I preferred his rendition over Rex Harrison's famous portrayal. He was also in The Crown.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I just saw the Downton Abbey trailer and, as someone who finished the series, I'm left wondering what is the point of this movie? Is it just fan service finishing up storylines of characters of the show while having gratuitous shots of the estate and costumes with Maggie Smith slinging sometimes witty one-liners or will it actually be about something deeper?

Isn't that all that the original series was about? :lol: Well, maybe not, but for me it was. The show got so soapy, I really only watched for Maggie Smith and the costumes and sets.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Just saw the premiere of Aladdin. Highly recommend it- the dancing scenes and the choreography are great. The movie is 2 hours long yet still manages to cram the end in super quick and rushed - that’s the only negative.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw Tolkien today. Just three in the theatre, including me. I was bored to death. May be I was too tired and shouldn’t have gone to see a movie. It has 7/10 on imdb so I had expected a much better movie. It dragged. The back and forth flashbacks didn’t help. I liked the first 15 and last 30 minutes. 5 or 6 out of 10 in my book. The costumes and the atmosphere in that era seemed good (world war I).

VGThuy

I finally saw Burning. Wow. I'm not sure if I liked it as a movie, but I really loved what it was saying about modern South Korea culture. There's so much to take in and the movie really works on multiple levels. It has a lot to say without seemingly saying things too explicitly. It's a slow burn and just goes off. The pace in the beginning takes some getting used to, but if you allow yourself to just go with the flow it's a high reward. It was probably my favorite movie from last year in terms of actually saying something pretty deep. I think this movie is like what I think some critics said Roma was, but I don't think Roma was nearly as deep as it could have been and not compared to this film. I also had no idea Burning was based Haruki Muramaki's short story called "Barn Burning". I read her novel Out a long time ago and it was so brilliant in being an engrossing story but also being a harsh critique on Japan's treatment of modern women in the guise of a thriller.

Now I have one more off the check list.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I finally saw Burning. Wow. I'm not sure if I liked it as a movie, but I really loved what it was saying about modern South Korea culture. There's so much to take in and the movie really works on multiple levels. It has a lot to say without seemingly saying things too explicitly. It's a slow burn and just goes off. The pace in the beginning takes some getting used to, but if you allow yourself to just go with the flow it's a high reward. It was probably my favorite movie from last year in terms of actually saying something pretty deep. I think this movie is like what I think some critics said Roma was, but I don't think Roma was nearly as deep as it could have been and not compared to this film. I also had no idea Burning was based Haruki Muramaki's short story called "Barn Burning". I read her novel Out a long time ago and it was so brilliant in being an engrossing story but also being a harsh critique on Japan's treatment of modern women in the guise of a thriller.

Now I have one more off the check list.
It's been on my list forever but I know I need to be in a specific mood for this one, you might just have given me the kick to finally watch it tonight so cheers :40beers:

manhn

I watched a small movie called Columbus, starring Jon Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Set in Columbus, Indiana, apparently the modernist architecture mecca of the world. They tour the city, and discuss the buildings, their conversations allowing them to figure out the angst in their lives. Sounds like a dry academic exercise, but I LOVED THIS MOVIE SO MUCH. It makes me want to ditch Montreal Worlds and check out Indiana.

cocotaffy

Watched Incendies from Denis Villeneuve, another movie I have been wanting to watch forever. It might be that my expectations were very high, seeing it was a critically acclaimed both by critics and viewers but I was a bit disappointed mainly because of the ending which, sorry but I found totally preposterous and utterly unnecessary. The story was sufficiently impactful and enthralling on its own without it. The acting, the cinematography, the pacing, everything was well done till well, people who have seen the movie understand the moment I'm talking about.

mjb52

I've been dying to watch Burning but not sure how violent it might be (I'm a real wimp). It just showed up on Netflix though so I'll definitely get to it soon.

Murakami is a man, btw. That's interesting that he did a good enough job with that theme that it seemed like he must be a female author (unless that was a typo).

VGThuy

Ignore the entire last sentence of my Burning review. I totally got Haruki Murakami mixed up with a totally different author. I don’t know how that happened as I read Norwegian Wood years ago. Forgive me, I haven’t been getting much sleep.

mjb52

Ignore the entire last sentence of my Burning review. I totally got Haruki Murakami mixed up with a totally different author. I don’t know how that happened as I read Norwegian Wood years ago. Forgive me, I haven’t been getting much sleep.

Well now I am interested in reading that novel, it looks fascinating! So maybe it was a fortunate mishap!

I'm finally watching A Star Is Born - I like it so far, but Jackson is so vulnerable and reminds me so much of a few people I knew when I lived in Texas that it is actually hard to watch, so I am making my way through it slowly.

vgerdes

Given the generally scathing reviews, I wasn't expecting much from the live-action "Aladdin," but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Aladdin and Jasmine were well-cast, and Jafar was deliciously chilling. Will Smith ain't no Robin Williams, but he didn't suck.

cocotaffy

I watched a small movie called Columbus, starring Jon Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Set in Columbus, Indiana, apparently the modernist architecture mecca of the world. They tour the city, and discuss the buildings, their conversations allowing them to figure out the angst in their lives. Sounds like a dry academic exercise, but I LOVED THIS MOVIE SO MUCH. It makes me want to ditch Montreal Worlds and check out Indiana.
Just watched it (it was also on my long list) instead of Burning which will be next, promise. I loved it too, the two leads are great and the movie's progression is subtle, such a smart way to integrate architecture with talks of their inner thoughts and feelings. I also appreciate it staying clear of the obvious
romance plot, very refreshing.
What was your favorite building in the movie ? I personally loved the the one in red bricks Jin loves so much. That perspective where it is hanging from nothing is breathtaking.

Last edited:

manhn

My favourite building from the outside is the hospital over the river. But from the inside, I really do love that house with that cute couch. And the library.

And I agree with your spoiler.

I need to watch Burning.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw Poms tonight. Really enjoyed it and had lots of laughs. Good fun entertainment. Jackie Weaver was really good and very funny.

VGThuy

I should check it out. I remember absolutely loving Weaver’s performance in Animal Kingdom. I think I would have given her the Oscar that year.

millyskate

Last night, I got the opportunity to watch an early screening of Tolkien. If you are a Tolkien fan, you will enjoy this movie. The movie did a great job showing how certain moments in Tolkien’s life connected to things in his novels.

Dome Karukoski did a great job - I believe this is his first film to direct that’s outside of Finland. I hope he gets more opportunities in the future. Nicholas Hoult and Lilly Collins did a great job in their roles as well.

One warning: you might not like this movie if you don’t like flashbacks in movies. The timeline goes “back and forth” a bit.
I saw this this evening - I was bored at home and went out for the 10.40PM screening !
I certainly didn't regret it. A beautiful movie.

I enjoyed the intense friendship of the young artists, the naive melodrama that is all taken so seriously at the time and earnestness of which reminded me of many a childhood conversation. The creative dilemma with all its hesitations is well represented and the role of the war in changing it from burden to privilege - and indeed reversing privilege full stop, by selecting those it keeps alive - is quite thought-provoking.

snoopy

Just saw booksmart. Omg this movie. So fun. I recommend it.

Have their been complaints about reserved seating? I didn’t even know this was a thing and poof my theater is doing it. WTF - they have to track and monetize everything. EVERYTHING. Boo. I hate it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just saw booksmart. Omg this movie. So fun. I recommend it.

Have their been complaints about reserved seating? I didn’t even know this was a thing and poof my theater is doing it. WTF - they have to track and monetize everything. EVERYTHING. Boo. I hate it.

Many/most of our movie theatres have reserved seating. When I first discovered it, I hated it but I realized quickly that it was a very good thing. I could choose my seat at home before going to the movie. I didn’t need to go there early to grab a good seat. I love reserved seating.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love reserved seating too. I like not having to get the theater so early to get the seat I want.

The only bad thing is that if the seats I want are taken, then I have to pick a different showing!

snoopy

It has been at least three years since I’ve been at a movie with more than 30 people in it. I never go to crowded movies. I decide to go at the last minute, I show up during the previews and always sit where I want. Reserved seating is unnecessary in most cases and intrusive.

watchthis!!

10/10 for The Mustang (now playing in theatres). Matthias Schoenaerts is now another actor where if I go to see a movie with them in it, it's going to be good, without question. Schoenaerts plays a prisoner who is able to get into program where inmates are able to work with wild horse in the hopes of training them for sale. (The alternative is that the untameable horse will be euthanized.) Another part of the story is Schoenaerts' daughter trying to re-establish a relationship with her estranged father. Schoenaerts performance is the highlight of this movie, he's amazing at doing so much by doing so little. Very powerful actor. But it's not just Schoenaerts who makes this movie, all of the actors are perfect, including Bruce Dern as the old man running this program for the inmates. Connie Britton also has a small role. The script is pretty much flawless and the direction spot-on. A must-see of a movie.

Trailer for The Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0KFTj50zI

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It has been at least three years since I’ve been at a movie with more than 30 people in it. I never go to crowded movies. I decide to go at the last minute, I show up during the previews and always sit where I want. Reserved seating is unnecessary in most cases and intrusive.

I too avoid crowded movies and the reserved seating helps me do that. :)

snoopy

I must not live in as populated an area. Crowded movies only happen here for comic book clones and even then only on opening week-end. It just isn’t an issue.

Last edited:

cygnus

I saw this this evening - I was bored at home and went out for the 10.40PM screening !
I certainly didn't regret it. A beautiful movie.

I enjoyed the intense friendship of the young artists, the naive melodrama that is all taken so seriously at the time and earnestness of which reminded me of many a childhood conversation. The creative dilemma with all its hesitations is well represented and the role of the war in changing it from burden to privilege - and indeed reversing privilege full stop, by selecting those it keeps alive - is quite thought-provoking.

I agree with you- I thought it was a wonderful movie- I loved the score and the cinemetography was beautiful, and the acting superb (especially the Derek Jacobi character). I thought it was a moving story of friendship (and courtship), and really brought home the fact that WW1 took a generation of bright and talented men- how many Tolkiens didn't survive?

cocotaffy

10/10 for The Mustang (now playing in theatres). Matthias Schoenaerts is now another actor where if I go to see a movie with them in it, it's going to be good, without question. Schoenaerts plays a prisoner who is able to get into program where inmates are able to work with wild horse in the hopes of training them for sale. (The alternative is that the untameable horse will be euthanized.) Another part of the story is Schoenaerts' daughter trying to re-establish a relationship with her estranged father. Schoenaerts performance is the highlight of this movie, he's amazing at doing so much by doing so little. Very powerful actor. But it's not just Schoenaerts who makes this movie, all of the actors are perfect, including Bruce Dern as the old man running this program for the inmates. Connie Britton also has a small role. The script is pretty much flawless and the direction spot-on. A must-see of a movie.

Trailer for The Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0KFTj50zI
Oh I can't wait for this movie, I absolutely love Matthias Schoenaerts since I've seen him in Rust and Bone. He is as you said so brilliant at expressing a lot though saying nothing. Very powerful and physical presence. I also advise you to watch Disorder if you haven't. It's an amazing take on PTSD affecting an ex soldier. The story is a bit secondary and goes haywire tbh but it doesn't matter much in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information