Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I watched the 1940 version of ‘Gaslight’. Didn’t really like it. The acting was strange and I fell asleep at some point. Saw the ending. So I am curious about the story.

I would like to see the 1944 version with Ingrid Bergman and Angela Lansbury in it. I think it is not available on Netflix right now.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I watched the 1940 version of ‘Gaslight’. Didn’t really like it. The acting was strange and I fell asleep at some point. Saw the ending. So I am curious about the story.

I would like to see the 1944 version with Ingrid Bergman and Angela Lansbury in it. I think it is not available on Netflix right now.
I haven't seen the 1944 version in years but I still remember how good Angela Lansbury was in it. It was her first movie but she was so good in it.

emason

I would be surprised if you find the 1944 Gaslight anywhere but on Turner Classic Movies. If you have TCM on your cable package you can search their site to see if it's coming up in rotation; you can also sign up for an e-mail alert so that they let you know when they are showing it next. I've seen it I don't know how many times on TCM.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I would be surprised if you find the 1944 Gaslight anywhere but on Turner Classic Movies. If you have TCM on your cable package you can search their site to see if it's coming up in rotation; you can also sign up for an e-mail alert so that they let you know when they are showing it next. I've seen it I don't know how many times on TCM.

I do have TCM but I never watch movies on my TV. I don’t know why and why I keep paying them. Partly it is because it is very hard to get someone o. The phone to cancel some channels.

Since I have it, I will look for this movie.

Sylvia

TBD
I caught it recently on TCM - well worth watching! It's scheduled to air next WEDNESDAY MAY, 15 2019 AT 01:30 PM (ET): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/166/Gaslight/

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw the movie ‘Everest’ on dvd. I had seen it in IMAX when it came out. Truly awesome. Although they did a lot of the shooting at other mountains (the Italian Alps, for example), the scenes were very believable. The actors and the crew took a lot of physical risks ( including mountaineering training) while shooting. I enjoyed it even on my 44 inch tv screen.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw ‘At Eternity’s gate’ on dvd today. I thought it was very good. Very different from 'Lust for life’. It was more subtle, more like poetry. I could feel what Van Gogh was seeing, what he was feeling. Willem Dafoe was excellent as Van Gogh. He deserved the Oscar nomination for best actor. This was a great year for this category.

I always thought that Van Gogh killed himself but this movie has a different take on it.
I didn’t know that he was just 37 at the time of his death. That is very young for an artist - to achieve so much in such a short time.

As it happens with many great artists, his paintings did not sell well while he was alive. After his death they became valuable. He had a unique style, very different from the impressionists that preceded him. There is a dialogue between him and Gaugin about those past great artists. The slow vs fast painting (even indoor) dialogue was Also interesting.

‘Lust for life’ shows most of his adult life, starting with his failed attempt to become a preacher or priest. Kirk Douglas was good as Van Gogh but I was more impressed with Dafoe’s Interpretation- going more into the artist’s mind. The other difference is that ‘Eternity’s gate’ covers only his times at Arles and the other place he moved to. We learn more about why and how he paints. I found that interesting.

Normally slow pace of a movie bothers me, but not this one (there are some other exceptions too). I was so into it! I could feel the wind, see the sunshine, which Van Gogh loved, knew what he was feeling. My number one painter is still Monet but I always appreciated the unique style of Van Gogh, Degas, etc.

I have one more Van Gogh movie to watch -‘ Loving Vincent’.

Last edited:

annie720

I saw Amazing Grace today, the long-delayed documentary about the 1972 recording of Aretha Franklin's gospel album in a L.A. church. As a film, it's rough. It was shot by director Sydney Pollack and the camera work reminds me a little of my early attempts to use our first big camrecorder, but it's an interesting 90 minutes. Just don't sit too close to the screen because the close-ups are really close-ups, and there are a lot of them. It was interesting watching a young Aretha as she recorded the songs while the choir backed her up and the spectators reacted. Also, seeing those close to her, including Rev Cleveland and her father. I couldn't take my eyes off of choir director Alexander Hamilton. Such charisma! And there was And Mick Jagger swaying in a pew with the other spectators. :)

I have one more Van Gogh movie to watch -‘ Loving Vincent’.

I saw both Loving Vincent and At Eternity's Gate over the past two weeks. Willem Dafoe was wicked good! He is still haunting me.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Saw Hellboy today. Got a last-minute invite from a friend, who recently had a birthday. So I thought I could pay for his dinner afterwards for his gift. Didn't know much about this movie, so I watched the trailer and it looked decent. :( I had pretty much lost all interest by the second half of the movie. None of the characters were very likeable, and none of them seemed to like one another. So that was a downer and then there's the "world might end" theme as the cherry on top. :lol: One to skip.
I saw this while on holidays the last two weeks. I agree. The previous movies were so much better.

annie720

We watched the new Netflix movie The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. Very well done film about two retired Texas Rangers chasing down Bonnie and Clyde. There was something about this movie from the very beginning that made us think it was special. Loved the settings, especially all the Hoovervilles that appeared in every location. Highly recommend.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
We watched the new Netflix movie The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. Very well done film about two retired Texas Rangers chasing down Bonnie and Clyde. There was something about this movie from the very beginning that made us think it was special. Loved the settings, especially all the Hoovervilles that appeared in every location. Highly recommend.
I watched this last weekend. Agree. Costner and Harrelson were very good. There had been a lot of attention to detail, including using the same place where Bonnie and Clyde were shot. Definitely worth watching.

Yesterday I saw a new Australian movie called Top End Wedding. Stars Miranda Tapsell (was in The Sapphires). It has got a cinema release here. About a couple who have to get married in a hurry (no she is not pregnant) so head to the top end of Australia to do it in Darwin where she grew up. Gets there and finds her mother has left her father. So the search is on for her mum.

Lovely movie with a nice cast of likeable characters. The scenery is fabulous. I think if you like movies like Priscilla, Muriel's Wedding or The Dressmaker you will like this. I hope it gets released overseas. Otherwise it should come up on the streaming services.

Last edited:

vgerdes

No spoilers here (I refused to be spoiled ahead of time, and I won't do it to anyone else), but I just saw Avengers: Endgame, and I have to say... totally worth the price of admission, and then some. Epic storytelling. Yes, it is three hours long (!), but it sure didn't feel like it. Lots of laughter, tears, shock and awe. For this long time MCU fan, it was completely satisfying. Well played, Marvel. Well played.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Watched End Game yesterday too and it was an emotional roller coaster which was a worthy end to this franchise. Of course not perfect, but we can talk about it later once more have watched it too. Overall, satisfying with some solid performances. Now I'm waiting for a follow up
stand alone about Gardian of the galaxy team-up with Thor directing by Ragnarok director Taika Waititi, now that would be hilarious, as epic as Ragnarok[\spoiler]

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I assume this Endgame movie follows others? So I may not understand it unless I watch the earlier ones. I don’t even know how many there are before the Endgame.

Just checked Netflix. It seems there were three before this one. I remember hearing about only the first. Not sure if I have the patience to sit through three such movies. I could probably handle the first one.

jenny12

I saw Endgame today. I agree that it wasn't perfect (maybe a little slow in some parts), but overall it was a great "end" to this phase of Marvel movies. I found it touching and exhilarating and the last third of it took my breath away.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Just got back from Endgame. I loved it - excellent way to put a period on this part of the series.

However...tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of my mother's passing. Her last words to me were "Everything is going to be okay. I'm going to be fine. I love you." We had no idea she was going to pass hours later. So to hear these words repeated a few times during the movie, as well as the numerous references to loss, had me bawling at the end. Cathartic, in a way, though. I think the tears started when Peter Parker made his re-entrance at the end that started it for me.

vgerdes

I assume this Endgame movie follows others? So I may not understand it unless I watch the earlier ones. I don’t even know how many there are before the Endgame.

Just checked Netflix. It seems there were three before this one. I remember hearing about only the first. Not sure if I have the patience to sit through three such movies. I could probably handle the first one.

Yes, there were three other Avengers movies. However, there are things in Endgame that you won't completely understand unless you've followed the entire series, which includes 22 movies in all. It's a lot to take in, but to me, the ride has totally been worth it. The MCU may go on, but this is the end of an era.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes, there were three other Avengers movies. However, there are things in Endgame that you won't completely understand unless you've followed the entire series, which includes 22 movies in all. It's a lot to take in, but to me, the ride has totally been worth it. The MCU may go on, but this is the end of an era.

I guess it’s too late for me

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Honestly, I don't think anyone would get this movie at all without having seen the other ones. It was incredibly complicated even for someone like me who's seen a lot of them. Without having seen any, I'd have been completely lost.

vgerdes

Honestly, I don't think anyone would get this movie at all without having seen the other ones. It was incredibly complicated even for someone like me who's seen a lot of them. Without having seen any, I'd have been completely lost.

I agree. The MCU movies have created a pretty intricate tapestry of relationships and storylines that would be nearly impossible to absorb without seeing a good portion of them before watching Endgame. The folks at Marvel have spent more than a decade assembling the Avengers' story (see what I did there? LOL). It was almost too much to try to wrap up in three hours, but overall, I thought they did a great job.

I'm still not sure I'll ever get over losing Tony Stark, though. He was the first Avenger (sorry, Cap, but it's true) and he'll always be my favorite.

Last edited:

annie720

I went to the theater to see Shazam yesterday and was surprised to see an overflowing parking lot at 1230 in the afternoon on a week day. Totally forgot about Avengers. The four of us in the theater seeing Shazam really liked it. I thought Zachary Levi did a great job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information