Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Japanfan

Maybe a fun exercise is all of us sharing what/who we would give our own personal Best of the Year awards to in the past few years. I think it'd be a fun way of sharing what our taste in movies are like and we can talk about why we loved certain picks.

I don't see a lot of films, and those I do see, I usually watch on television. So my sample of films is small.

The one film that stands out for me was 'Leviathon', which I did see in the theater. I also enjoyed 'Downsizing', particularly the performance of Hong Chau.

Thinking back past a few years, three memorable films that stood out for me were 'The Straight Story', 'Frozen River' and 'Waking Ned Devine'. For foreign film, 'One Thousand Times Goodnight' (with Juliette Binoche).

And 'Whiplash' was good, although brutal.

How about all time faves: For me it's a toss-up between 'Apocalypse Now' (Coppola), 'Eyes Wide Shut' (Kubrick) and 'Short Cuts' (Altman).

snoopy

How about all time faves: For me it's a toss-up between 'Apocalypse Now' (Coppola), 'Eyes Wide Shut' (Kubrick) and 'Short Cuts' (Altman).

My SO and I just had the discussion - which film would you have wanted to claim directorship. His was 2001 A Space Odyssey and mine was Out of Africa.

Japanfan

My SO and I just had the discussion - which film would you have wanted to claim directorship. His was 2001 A Space Odyssey and mine was Out of Africa.

I'm a big fan of 2001 - the opening sequence is one of the greatest in film history, IMO. The ending was brilliant as well, particularly the final haunting image. And the 'dance in space' visuals were spectacular.

But the rest of the film was a bit slow and ponderous. As I recall in any case. I saw the film multiple times years ago, and have not been inspired to watch it again. It would be a good idea to see it again.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Looking back at the list of best movie winners from the 90's up:
1994: Forrest Gump, just no for me. Any of Four weddings and a funeral, Pulp Fiction or the Shawshank Redemption would have been a much better choice.
1996: Fargo should have won imo even though I did enjoy the sweeping tragedy that was the English Patient. But Fargo was just so original with top notch acting.
1998: Shakespeare in love just no no no, Saving Private Ryan or the thin red line any day.
1999: American Beauty, I preferred by far The insider, one of my favorite movie.
2001: a beautiful mind which I enjoyed but frankly, in the bedroom was such a brilliant movie with incredible acting performances by all the main leads.
2005: Crash, do I need to say more. Just no. Any of the other movies that year would have been better.
2009: happy a woman won with the Hurt Locker but frankly District 9 is an amazing movie which is so relevant today with the immigration/refugee crisis all around the world. Such an interesting original and multi layered movie.
2014: I love Whiplash for it's amazing depiction of how physically challenging it is to play an instrument. The leads are great too. Loved the music and the dialogue about dedication versus self-preservation, what it takes to be great, does it deserve the sacrifices and so on.
2017: would have given it to Call me by your name instead of Shape of Water which I found very derivative of other works like the movies of French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet. The quirkiness of the Shape of Water heroin really reminded me of Amélie and the whole atmosphere: color schemes, dressing style and quirky moments. I was very disappointed by it because I liked so of his older movies.

As for Roma being an Oscar bait, I think it is more of a Cannes festival bait.

I'll take a look at the directors list too. Not a bad game to play.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
1994: Forrest Gump, just no for me. Any of Four weddings and a funeral, Pulp Fiction or the Shawshank Redemption would have been a much better choice.
1996: Fargo should have won imo even though I did enjoy the sweeping tragedy that was the English Patient. But Fargo was just so original with top notch acting.
1998: Shakespeare in love just no no no, Saving Private Ryan or the thin red line any day.
1999: American Beauty, I preferred by far The insider, one of my favorite movie.
2001: a beautiful mind which I enjoyed but frankly, in the bedroom was such a brilliant movie with incredible acting performances by all the main leads.
2005: Crash, do I need to say more. Just no. Any of the other movies that year would have been better.
2009: happy a woman won with the Hurt Locker but frankly District 9 is an amazing movie which is so relevant today with the immigration/refugee crisis all around the world. Such an interesting original and multi layered movie.
2014: I love Whiplash for it's amazing depiction of how physically challenging it is to play an instrument. The leads are great too. Loved the music and the dialogue about dedication versus self-preservation, what it takes to be great, does it deserve the sacrifices and so on.
2017: would have given it to Call me by your name instead of Shape of Water which I found very derivative of other works like the movies of French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet. The quirkiness of the Shape of Water heroin really reminded me of Amélie and the whole atmosphere: color schemes, dressing style and quirky moments. I was very disappointed by it because I liked so of his older movies.

Did Whiplash win the BP? If yes, it was the second worst to win BP (Moonlight is still the worst ever in my book)

VGThuy

Did Whiplash win the BP? If yes, it was the second worst to win BP (Moonlight is still the worst ever in my book)

Birdman won that year. I always considered it an anti-Boyhood choice. People didn't take to Boyhood after it swept nearly all the early critics awards and chose Birdman as the alternative.

cocotaffy

You didn't like Whiplash then. I can see how it's not for everyone's taste. Moonlight, I have to acknowledge I haven't watched it. I'm expecting something really tragic and heartbreaking so one does need to be in the right mood for that.
Birdman won that year. I always considered it an anti-Boyhood choice. People didn't take to Boyhood after it swept nearly all the early critics awards and chose Birdman as the alternative.
Boyhood was an interesting project but didn't leave a strong impression on me tbh. I just have flashes of long conversations in my head and that's about it.

Looking at the directors, I just realized Kubrick never won an Oscar. Now that's crazy. I'm a fan of his work and particularly loved Eyes Wide Shut which was not even nominated at the time. I would have also like Insomnia (2002) to be at least nominated. Really underrated Nolan movie. Great pacing, Al Pacino at his best and a very interesting atmosphere created by the fact the sun never sets.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You didn't like Whiplash then. I can see how it's not for everyone's taste. Moonlight, I have to acknowledge I haven't watched it. I'm expecting something really tragic and heartbreaking so one does need to be in the right mood for that.

Boyhood was an interesting project but didn't leave a strong impression on me tbh. I just have flashes of long conversations in my head and that's about it.

Looking at the directors, I just realized Kubrick never won an Oscar. Now that's crazy. I'm a fan of his work and particularly loved Eyes Wide Shut which was not even nominated at the time. I would have also like Insomnia (2002) to be at least nominated. Really underrated Nolan movie. Great pacing, Al Pacino at his best and a very interesting atmosphere created by the fact the sun never sets.

I would add Bradley Cooper to the list. IMO he deserved a nomination for A star is born.

I don't feel that Eyes wide shut was Kubrick's best.

Agree about Nolan.

snoopy

I had to google - the Whiplash that people are talking about is the jazz movie with the guy from the Farmers Insurance commercials? I love that movie. I didn't realize it got nominated for anything.

manhn

Moonlight had a nice start, boring middle, and brilliant finale. I LOVED the last 3rd of the movie. I just rewatch that part. The characters in their teen years are snoozy. Ali wasn't even the best supporting actor in his own movie. Adult Kevin! Adult Kevin! Adult Kevin!

LeafOnTheWind

@Nell411
I haven't watched a few of the movies you listed and hadn't planned to watch them. But I liked your other choices so it's making me rethink the ones I wasn't going to watch. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Moonlight had a nice start, boring middle, and brilliant finale. I LOVED the last 3rd of the movie. I just rewatch that part. The characters in their teen years are snoozy. Ali wasn't even the best supporting actor in his own movie. Adult Kevin! Adult Kevin! Adult Kevin!

Moonlight had a nice one third to start, bad second and worse third. JMO.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
@Nell411
I haven't watched a few of the movies you listed and hadn't planned to watch them. But I liked your other choices so it's making me rethink the ones I wasn't going to watch. :)
You'll have to post what you think. I have a lot of movies I really love and I know I left some out, that's what I get for trying to post about movies I love that close to bedtime lol. I hope you enjoy them :D

LeafOnTheWind

BTW, I did love Wonder Woman's attack across no man's land. A part of me felt manipulated and it was predictable but it was spectacularly cheesy hero saves the day so I couldn't help but love it. Easily the best scene in the movie for me.

mjb52

JK Simmons won an individual Oscar for Whiplash I think but it didn't win Best Picture. I love him as an actor and I like Miles Teller as well but Whiplash really bugged me because I felt like it re-inforced a lot of sort of banal cliches about being an "artist" that I think are really dated.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
JK Simmons won an individual Oscar for Whiplash I think but it didn't win Best Picture. I love him as an actor and I like Miles Teller as well but Whiplash really bugged me because I felt like it re-inforced a lot of sort of banal cliches about being an "artist" that I think are really dated.

Simmons won the best supporting actor that year but case could be made that his was a co-lead role.

Japanfan

I loved 'The English Patient' and thought it deserved the award. It was sweeping in scope and visually spectacular, with a great story and great acting IMO.

I thought 'Fargo' was okay. Generally, I think the Coen brothers a bit overrated. Yes, they are original, and yes, they write good screenplays. But to me I always find myself wanting more after seeing their films.

My favorite is 'The Big Lebowski'. I thought John Goodman was amazing in that film.

Didn't see 'Saving Private Ryan' (not a Tom Hanks fan). Don't remember 'Shakespeare in Love', still remember Thin Red Line - not Mallick's best (that would be 'Days from Heaven' IMO), but still Mallick was a great film-maker for his time.

I rewatched American Beauty about a year ago and it did not withstand the test of time. I expect 'The Insider' would, because of the brilliance that is Russell Crowe.

'A Beautiful Mind' was just okay. Didn't see 'In the Bedroom'.

Thought it too was just okay.

Simmons was memorable in 'Whiplash'. It was the role of a lifetime.

For me, 'The Shape of Water' was two hours of my life that I'll never get back.

smurfy

Great post.
I enjoyed Forrest Gump but never thought it was best picture and agree with you.
Fargo was entertaining and Frances McDormand is awesome, but yes not best pic
Shakespeare in Love - I remember reading about how Weinstein was really pushing for it, it was an enjoyble film, light, and the 2 movies you list were so much better. Also Gwyneth Paltrow won best actress over Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth - to me one of the biggest oscar mistakes.
I thought the Insider was an awesome movie and think it is one of Russell Crowe's best work.
In the bedroom was such a great movie.
ITA about Hurt Locker and District 9 which was so original.

Re- Directors that are not nominated for Best Dir when their film is nominated as Best Picture.
Has always been mentioned over the years. But since they now nominate more Best Pictures and still only 5 directors - the discussion will continue.

cocotaffy

Blackkklansman, frankly I had hard time to get into the movie but after the first 25-30 minutes it really picked up. The start was a bit heavy handed on the politics and some scene like the dancing one felt unnecessarily long. Anyway, I enjoyed the duo Adam Driver-John David Washington the most and particularly what happened to Adam Driver's character
how he starts questioning his Judaism
. Also, I'm becoming a big fan of him as an actor. There is a simplicity yet a presence about him. Nothing is forced in his acting and even though he played a role, Kylo Ren, which could have defined/limited him, he blends in perfectly in each role picking interesting projects too. My favorite being Paterson. The movie is of course first and foremost important for its message and how it resonates with the current struggles about racism in the US however, it could have been more subtly directed to make it more powerful. TBH I'm not a Spike Lee fan. For me, my favorite movie of his is the 25th hour with a brilliant turn by Edward Norton.

cocotaffy

To me, BlacKkKlansman couldn’t be subtle. Too many people in this country still don’t get it.
Yes, actually thinking about it after writing my commentary, it hit me too that subtle isn't enough anymore. Also people victim of prejudices or hate crimes are certainly not experiencing anything close to subtle. So my point was a moot.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Favourite movies in the last few years - hmmm. I see so many. Trying to rack my brain. The ones I remember are the most for various reasons:

This year so far was Green Book and The Favourite
2018 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Films stars don't die in Liverpool, Isle of Dogs, Ideal Home
2017 - Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, Thor: Ragnarok, I Tonya
2016 - Their Finest, Zootopia, Hidden Figures, Moana, Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2015 - Cinderella, Inside Out
2014 - Pride, Maleficent, Ex Machina, Grand Budapest Hotel
2012 - Skyfall
And both Deadpools

And of the stage shows I have seen on screen - St Joan starring Gemma Arterton. She was amazing. I also liked her in Hansel and Gretel: Witch hunters. Bit of a stupid movie but she kicked arse.

If I think of any others I will update my post

LeafOnTheWind

I just got back from watching Alita: Battle Angel. The CGI in this is amazing. It's somewhere between live action and animation. The top half of Alita's face is distorted enough to make her look very alien/non-human but it's not overdone. I love it. I can honestly say it has a very unique look to it and probably deserves some kind of award recognition for what it has achieved there. I wasn't thrilled with the romance plot line and other character development but it wasn't the worst I've seen either.

I don't know if we are supposed to know the back story of this world from the manga but I feel like the lack of information might be on purpose. Alita is trying to recover her memories and we are getting the fragments of the world's backstory along with her. I would like to know more about the history of this universe but it also makes sense that we don't know it yet. It very clearly sets itself up for a continuation and I'm hooked enough that I would watch the series. It also made me want to check out the original manga.

All in all it's a very fun action/adventure/sci-fi movie. It was worth the price of admission for me.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

On Chesil Beach is a movie that seems really "basic drama" (but still good drama) for it's first half and then...buckle your seat. Just sitting here thinking about it makes me wonder if I'm swaying in my seat thinking about all that happened. The movie is based on the novella of the same name by Ian McEwan, who is also the screenwriter for the movie. On Chesil Beach stars newcomer Billy Howle and Saoirse Ronan as a young couple, newly married. In flashbacks we see their courtship then return to present day, hours after their wedding as they arrive at their hotel. I want to say more, but feel I might not present the movie in a way that it deserves. I'm shocked to see that the movie didn't seem to get ANY kind of awards recognition. This blows my mind. The two lead performances, the directing, the script and the movie itself should have been in the running for pretty much any kind of award out there, in my opinion. Definitely worth seeing if you like high quality dramas. Final note: Ian McEwan wrote Atonement, which Saoirse Ronan starred in. If we're lucky, these two will work together again many times.

Trailer for On Chesil Beach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6DWDfMDlM

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Last night I saw a documentary 'Himalayan Megaquake', about the 2015 earthquake (7.8 on the Richter scale) in Nepal. It was horrifying, sad, amazing, and educational, all at once. It seems it was shown on PBS. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

vgerdes

And of the stage shows I have seen on screen - St Joan starring Gemma Arterton. She was amazing. I also liked her in Hansel and Gretel: Witch hunters. Bit of a stupid movie but she kicked arse.

I loved Gemma in Hansel and Gretel - and also Prince of Persia, where she took a terribly cliched part and made it thoroughly enjoyable, IMO. I don't think I would have enjoyed that movie if it weren't for her.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just got back from watching Alita: Battle Angel. The CGI in this is amazing. It's somewhere between live action and animation. The top half of Alita's face is distorted enough to make her look very alien/non-human but it's not overdone. I love it. I can honestly say it has a very unique look to it and probably deserves some kind of award recognition for what it has achieved there. I wasn't thrilled with the romance plot line and other character development but it wasn't the worst I've seen either.

I don't know if we are supposed to know the back story of this world from the manga but I feel like the lack of information might be on purpose. Alita is trying to recover her memories and we are getting the fragments of the world's backstory along with her. I would like to know more about the history of this universe but it also makes sense that we don't know it yet. It very clearly sets itself up for a continuation and I'm hooked enough that I would watch the series. It also made me want to check out the original manga.

All in all it's a very fun action/adventure/sci-fi movie. It was worth the price of admission for me.
I saw this today and quite liked it. I agree that the CGI was quite amazing and worked very well, along with the action sequences. Some of the dialogue was a bit cliche though which was disappointing. I would love to see this nominated for special effects for next year's Oscars. I feel I need to go back and watch the original manga animation to revisit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information