Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

snoopy

Saw the favorite today. It thoroughly kept my attention and agree with comments about some great performances. It is not a feel good movie though, and it reminded me of work politics. There is a different twist here to the bending over and taking it meme. (I should say I took rub my leg as a euphemism for something else).

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw The Favourite yesterday. Thank god for cinemas being open Christmas Day because I took time off house renovating (I don't do Christmas).

I agree with everyone else. Olivia Coleman was excellent, really enjoyed Rachel Weisz as Sarah and I think this is one of Emma Stone's better performances as well. Would love to see Coleman get the Oscar but I think that it is Gaga's in the bag (unless the star. The last scene was a bit weird. I do think it fell into a period drama with a modern sensibility. Agree about the political side of it as well. There was a degree of predictability about it but there were twists and turns that kept you surprised. Definitely worth seeing.

A few movies I want to see at the moment. Collette is one of them and Aquaman too.

judiz

Saw Mary Poppins Returns last Thursday. I thought Emily Blunt did an excellent job and the graphics were great. The movie was good but will never be as memorable as the original. I remember every song in the original yet cannot remember one song from the sequel.

watchthis!!

I really enjoyed 7 Days In Entebbe. It stars Daniel Bruhl and Rosamund Pike as two Germans who, alone with two Palestinian men, hijack a plan leaving Israel. They demand the release of pro-Palestinian militants who are being held by Israel. Ultimately, Israel refuses to bargain and sends in a military rescue team. The movie is really well directed and my only concern about the movie is that of the four hijackers, the two pretty white Germans are the leads in this movie and the two dark-skinned Palestinian hijackers have much, much smaller roles.

Trailer for 7 Days In Entebbe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuTBea8_-LY&t=82s

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really enjoyed 7 Days In Entebbe. It stars Daniel Bruhl and Rosamund Pike as two Germans who, alone with two Palestinian men, hijack a plan leaving Israel. They demand the release of pro-Palestinian militants who are being held by Israel. Ultimately, Israel refuses to bargain and sends in a military rescue team. The movie is really well directed and my only concern about the movie is that of the four hijackers, the two pretty white Germans are the leads in this movie and the two dark-skinned Palestinian hijackers have much, much smaller roles.

Trailer for 7 Days In Entebbe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuTBea8_-LY&t=82s

Could it be that the two well known actors were propped up to attract the audience but not the lesser known ones? I think this happens often and skin color may not be the reason for big/small roles.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I may be the only one here that didn't care for The Favourite. The acting and sets were great, but i didn't care for the story and the weird ending just about did it for me. It was still better than the trailer which I saw a million times (felt like it) in theaters. At least seeing the movie took the bad taste out. For me it was a 6/10 movie that was so hyped because of the great acting.

snoopy

Well it wasn't a story that anyone would want to live through themselves, that is for sure. Only skating federations during Olympic seasons do more plotting, conniving and backstabbing.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Just finished watching "Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia" on Netflix. He is completely bright, funny and adorable. I don't often like stand-up, but I'm going to be seeking out any other performances of his.

Aussie Willy

Just finished watching "Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia" on Netflix. He is completely bright, funny and adorable. I don't often like stand-up, but I'm going to be seeking out any other performances of his.
I love Trevor. I read his autobiography and saw one of his stage shows on videos. Does brilliant accents.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I want to see 'On the basis of sex' but it is not running close to my home. May be it was a limited release? I have already seen the RBG documentary and it was good. I want to see how Felicity Jones portrays RBG.

ETA (instead of a new post)

I saw Red Sparrow on dvd. I had seen it in the theatre when it was running. I thought it was rather interesting. Not a great movie but certainly not boring. On dvd I thought it was even more interesting, because i saw what i had missed the first time. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. It was like - What happened? I had tried to read the book earlier and it was very different, particularly the ending. So does anyone want to explain to me the ending in the movie? (Please use Spoiler, thanks).

Last edited:

watchthis!!

Could it be that the two well known actors were propped up to attract the audience but not the lesser known ones? I think this happens often and skin color may not be the reason for big/small roles.

Yes, but why not cast two famous actors for the two non-white characters?

VGThuy

And it so happens most superstars in the U.S. are white, which has been an issue of conversation about it being a self-created cycle, and led to a slew of issues, like white washing characters and so on and so forth. That's why the whole topic of better representation to look more like the actual movie-going audience is ripe.

Aussie Willy

I saw Aquaman yesterday. Enjoyed it but I found it a bit corny. However Jason Moama is a real star and Amber Heard looked great in the red hair.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Saw Mary Poppins Returns last Thursday. I thought Emily Blunt did an excellent job and the graphics were great. The movie was good but will never be as memorable as the original. I remember every song in the original yet cannot remember one song from the sequel.
I thought Emily was absolutely perfect as Mary Poppins. Lin-Manuel Miranda, OTOH, has a great voice but can't act for beans (at least in this movie). I was always very aware that it was him.

It took me a while to get into the movie -- the bath scene should have been more WOW than I experienced it, I think -- but by the time they got to the Music Hall and did A Cover is not a Book, I was drawn in. Love that song and also the one about where the Lost Things go.

I think the movie suffered from trying too hard. And also they were too derivative. I think they should have tried telling a completely different story with a different rhythm rather than doing substitutions. i.e., The original had Bert the Chimney Sweep dancing and singing on the rooftops with his fellow sweeps so let's have a character that is similar to that and have him and his colleagues dance on the rooftops, too!

I did like the twist at the end and seeing Dick Van Dyke. Wish they had also included Julie Andrews.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I saw Mary Poppins Returns today. I thought it was so charming and a bit dusty in places. ;) I don’t know if it's as good as the original but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. I liked that it paralleled the first movie and loved seeing Dick van Dyke. Emily Blunt was fantastic.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Vice' today. It is funny and clever. The acting is great, particularly by Christian Bale. Oscar worthy, but there are so many great performances this year that he may not win. The supporting cast is strong too.

It seemed weird at first because it is not chronological. The scenes move back and forth In time but it does not become confusing. The only time I was confused was when they showed the cast of characters in the middle of the movie, although I knew the GWB character was yet to appear.

There were clips of some real life scenes, and some were acted. Not going to describe them, to avoid spoiling.

There are many moments that drew chuckles and laughs. At the end when the credits started rolling, some people left and missed the final hilarious scene. So don't leave until it is clear that it is the real end of the movie.

'Vice' could have double meaning - Vice President as well as the human quality of vice. It shows what bad things Dick Cheney did - war that killed people, to the economy, etc. but it is all wrapped in subtle humor. At the same time it shows the love within the Cheney family.

I had a problem with the repeated scenes involving surgery and blood. It was overdone, IMO.

Overall, a cleverly made comedy but it is not for everyone. My guess is that democrats will like this movie more than republicans will.

Brad Pitt is one of the coproducers.

8/10.

ETA- it has only 65 on RT and around 6.7 on imdb. Not a very popular movie.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I saw Mary Poppins Returns today and absolutely loved it! I wouldn't say it's as good as the original but I don't think anything could be considering the iconic status of the first movie. Emily Blunt was excellent, I love the music and the movie in general was just so much fun. It had that magical feeling a good musical gives me. Lin-Manuel Miranda has a lot of magnetism and he's fun to watch but I don't know how good he actually was in the movie. I've never seen him in anything. I'm just very aware of him as a human because I live in the right circles of the internet.

Regardless though, the movie is fun, I loved it a lot and if I had time I would totally see it in theatre again but I have 3 other movies I want to see and if I'm lucky I'll have time to see 2 of them.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I saw Mary Poppins Returns today and absolutely loved it! I wouldn't say it's as good as the original but I don't think anything could be considering the iconic status of the first movie. Emily Blunt was excellent, I love the music and the movie in general was just so much fun. It had that magical feeling a good musical gives me. Lin-Manuel Miranda has a lot of magnetism and he's fun to watch but I don't know how good he actually was in the movie. I've never seen him in anything. I'm just very aware of him as a human because I live in the right circles of the internet.

Regardless though, the movie is fun, I loved it a lot and if I had time I would totally see it in theatre again but I have 3 other movies I want to see and if I'm lucky I'll have time to see 2 of them.
I completely agree. I can’t wait to get it on Blu-ray. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have not seen Mary Poppins Returns yet but I plan to. I don’t remember the first one much, so I may enjoy this without any comparisons. I think right now it is very popular and crowded, with kids having holidays. I may wait a couple weeks to see it. Same with Aquaman.

SandraMGfan

Saw Mary Poppins Returns yesterday and I can’t make my mind about it. I think for kids/people who have never seen the original it’s a good musical. But I felt it lacked something (that I can’t pinpoint).

That being said, casting Emily Blunt was perfect. But they gave songs to Lin-Manuel Miranda where he was singing a bit too Hamilton-ish for my liking. His English accent was OK (I know about the Dick VanDyke controversy, but I grew up in France and only ever watched Mary Poppins in French), but he clearly was not the Bert of this movie!

I understand it was a new movie so it was never going to be a remake. But they had the Banks “original” kids as grown-ups so they could have done an old song without it sounding too out of place and not just have a few notes there and there or ‘Michael’ saying “let’s go fly a kite”.
Unsurprisingly, my favourite moments were all the tiny details from the original movie that could be spotted and the Dick VanDyke part!

So prob need to rewatch it! And look for the songs I like to add to my playlist!

VGThuy

Saw Mary Poppins Returns yesterday and I can’t make my mind about it. I think for kids/people who have never seen the original it’s a good musical. But I felt it lacked something (that I can’t pinpoint).

That being said, casting Emily Blunt was perfect. But they gave songs to Lin-Manuel Miranda where he was singing a bit too Hamilton-ish for my liking. His English accent was OK (I know about the Dick VanDyke controversy, but I grew up in France and only ever watched Mary Poppins in French), but he clearly was not the Bert of this movie!

I understand it was a new movie so it was never going to be a remake. But they had the Banks “original” kids as grown-ups so they could have done an old song without it sounding too out of place and not just have a few notes there and there or ‘Michael’ saying “let’s go fly a kite”.
Unsurprisingly, my favourite moments were all the tiny details from the original movie that could be spotted and the Dick VanDyke part!

So prob need to rewatch it! And look for the songs I like to add to my playlist!

I fear I won't be able to watch this one objectively because of how much the original means to me personally.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I enjoyed musicals as a child, but somehow as an adult I don't (unless I am rewatching those from my childhood). So I dont know if I will enjoy Mary Poppins returns, but I plan to see it.

Aussie Willy

I saw 'Vice' today. It is funny and clever. The acting is great, particularly by Christian Bale. Oscar worthy, but there are so many great performances this year that he may not win. The supporting cast is strong too.

It seemed weird at first because it is not chronological. The scenes move back and forth In time but it does not become confusing. The only time I was confused was when they showed the cast of characters in the middle of the movie, although I knew the GWB character was yet to appear.

There were clips of some real life scenes, and some were acted. Not going to describe them, to avoid spoiling.

There are many moments that drew chuckles and laughs. At the end when the credits started rolling, some people left and missed the final hilarious scene. So don't leave until it is clear that it is the real end of the movie.

'Vice' could have double meaning - Vice President as well as the human quality of vice. It shows what bad things Dick Cheney did - war that killed people, to the economy, etc. but it is all wrapped in subtle humor. At the same time it shows the love within the Cheney family.

I had a problem with the repeated scenes involving surgery and blood. It was overdone, IMO.

Overall, a cleverly made comedy but it is not for everyone. My guess is that democrats will like this movie more than republicans will.

Brad Pitt is one of the coproducers.

8/10.

ETA- it has only 65 on RT and around 6.7 on imdb. Not a very popular movie.
I saw this yesterday and thought it was really good and enjoyable. Damn I didn't realise there was a bit at the end. Will have to look out for it on Youtube.

Bale is one of my favourite actors and he transforms for every role. Yep he gained all the weight for the character. The make up job on all the actors was excellent, including Carrell as Donald Rumsfeld. And the performances were fantastic.

As for Cheney's role in the politics of the time, that was an eye opener. Was George W really as insignificant as what they made him out to be?

I think it is also a very important movie because the impact of Cheney's decisions on world politics and the affairs of the country, even today. And interesting how they covered about the growth of the right wing in the media and it's influence on how the US is today, right down to the focus groups.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw this yesterday and thought it was really good and enjoyable. Damn I didn't realise there was a bit at the end. Will have to look out for it on Youtube.

Bale is one of my favourite actors and he transforms for every role. Yep he gained all the weight for the character. The make up job on all the actors was excellent, including Carrell as Donald Rumsfeld. And the performances were fantastic.

As for Cheney's role in the politics of the time, that was an eye opener. Was George W really as insignificant as what they made him out to be?

I think it is also a very important movie because the impact of Cheney's decisions on world politics and the affairs of the country, even today. And interesting how they covered about the growth of the right wing in the media and it's influence on how the US is today, right down to the focus groups.

The last scene had to do with the focus group. It is hilarious. hope you can find it on you tube.

I know that Cheney had a Lot of influence where foreign policy was concerned. In a book i had read last year, the writer said something like the seeds of a Trump victory were sown in W's first term. I don't know if that is 100 percent correct, but the start of Fox news and the decisions made by Cheney definitely created an environment that helped create Trump's base and perhaps help Trump win.

Christian Bale is a fantastic actor. I have always liked him but in this movie he has outdone even himself. While watching the movie I believed that he was Dick Cheney. The young Cheney had the mannerisms of the old Cheney. So it was a continuous development of the person over 50 years or so. That is tough to act, but he did it.

Now I don't know who i would like to win the best actor Oscar - Christian Bale or Rami Malek. Both portrayed real life characters masterfully.

The make ups were great on all characters, right down to the spots on their hands when they grew old.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Ben is back' this evening. It has a strong start but after about 70 percent of an interesting story it devolves into something weird. Still, overall quite good. 7/10.

Julia Roberts is very good as the mother of a troubled teenager (Ben). I am surprised that she is not getting any award nominations. Lucas Hedges does a good job as Ben. He and Timothee Chalamet seem to be the upcoming young actors these days, both with roles that showcase their talents.

This is the third movie I have seen in the last two months that dealt with a patent- teenage son issue. I hope there will not be a fourth one because it is getting a bit old. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information