Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Scottsdale is going to have an international film festival Nov. 2-11. I have never been to a film festival, so I am considering seeing one or two movies (it's all I have time for, right now). The list of movies is very long and the only title known to me is 'Roma'. Can someone guide me in choosing the movies? They have published the schedule for every day. There are many movies each day.

watchthis!!

Eva Longoria is about to marry Paul Rudd in Over Her Dead Body, but her wedding day, well...it's just not her day. She dies. And she's not happy about it! Her ghost heads back to earth to make sure nobody will have the man she was about to marry. This includes Lake Bell, who is introduced to Rudd. The two hit if off, but Longoria is having none of it. I found Over Her Dead Body to be a pretty good light comedy. Very strong performances from everyone (Jason Biggs also stars) in a fast-paced comedy. A good popcorn flick.

Trailer for Over Her Dead Body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ES0L8P7dwc

Can someone guide me in choosing the movies? They have published the schedule for every day. There are many movies each day.

So you want us to go to google to find the schedule for a city film festival where we don't live, then pick your movie for you? Should we PM you the link to their website? :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So you want us to go to google to find the schedule for a city film festival where we don't live, then pick your movie for you? Should we PM you the link to their website? :p

None of the above.

I mentioned that they have published the schedule, which I have seen. I know what movies are playing. My question is a general one. Out of so many movies how do you choose, if you have past experience with international film festivals? Is there a methodology or do you randomly pick titles that appeal you?

You did not need to slam me for asking an innocent question.

Last edited:

DannyCurry

On the weekend I went and saw First Man with some friends. Wow. Possibly the most boring movie I have ever seen. It was bad and then it got worse. If you're older, do you remember watching documentaries in school that were so boring that everyone started yawning and if you were lucky, you fell asleep? Well, First Man was not this good. I started thinking during the movie that I should leave and sneak into another movie. But I was with friends, so I thought I should not abandon them. So if you insist on going to see First Man, go alone so you can sneak into Venom or A Star Is Born instead!! :lol:

I too was bored to death, watching First Man. As I wrote in my post, the moon shots were awesome, and without those, this is a 3/10 movie.BTW I saw it alone, and I may have caught a little nap. I wouldn't have walked out though, because I really wanted to see the moon landing and the first moon walk, but they totally screwed up that too (other than the lunar photos).

Saw First Man last week, and like most in the thread, I wasn't super impressed. I still enjoyed it to an extent because I always enjoy movies based on true stories but it was fairly slow and even if you know what happened I didn't feel the suspens or excitement of going to the moon.

I'm not really knowledgeable about space science but I guess spending a day at the Kennedy Space Center last month (in spite of it being rather disappointing) must have turned me into a space exploration history enthusiast ! Plus, watching the launch of one of Space X's Falcon 9 was truly a magical moment for me. So I probably feel like a kid towards astronauts/space/the Universe and at the same time, as an adult, I'm still utterly amazed that some men actually made it to the moon ! The fact that it first happened almost 50 years ago makes it even more impressive in my book. All this to say that I actually loved First Man :slinkaway(though I confess, I had to fight not to fall asleep, ironically right before the moon landing, but that was probably because I had eaten way too many sushis before the movie xD).

I do not think that the movie was too long, because it takes time to :
-present the rivalry context with USSR, America's political context, citizens reactions and debate over the space race, -and develop Neil Armstrong's character and environment (his family, his friends, the tragedies he went through).

If anyone is interested in reading more about the movie (though it seems unlikely) I recommend two articles about it, both written by Jeffrey Kluger and published on Time magazine : the first is about its accuracy, and the second is First Man tells the story of a hero you thought you knew (October 22 issue). Eventually, I'll add that Ryan Gosling was, as always, fine, and Claire Foy truly stood out for me (that actress may become one of my fav !).

Other films I saw this week-end :

Cold War : A supposedly compelling, impossible and passionate love story. As always when I have high expectations (and that was the case here because I remembered Director's Pawel Pawlikowski's movie Ida was beautiful), I ended up disappointed. Or rather I just didn't get into the movie this time, despite its beautiful imagery and attractive actors (Tomasz Kot looked smoking hot at times, Joanna Kulig was definitely captivating).

Sauvage, about a young male prostitute. Shallow me never says no to some nice male nudity, but I had no empathy (or sympathy) towards the main character. Although he was unlucky, genuinely (?) clueless and kind (most of the time), some of his junkie habits and stupid decisions got on my nerves. Cute face though...and cute body :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm not really knowledgeable about space science but I guess spending a day at the Kennedy Space Center last month (in spite of it being rather disappointing) must have turned me into a space exploration history enthusiast ! Plus, watching the launch of one of Space X's Falcon 9 was truly a magical moment for me. So I probably feel like a kid towards astronauts/space/the Universe and at the same time, as an adult, I'm still utterly amazed that some men actually made it to the moon ! The fact that it first happened almost 50 years ago makes it even more impressive in my book. All this to say that I actually loved First Man :slinkaway(though I confess, I had to fight not to fall asleep, ironically right before the moon landing, but that was probably because I had eaten way too many sushis before the movie xD).

I do not think that the movie was too long, because it takes time to :
-present the rivalry context with USSR, America's political context, citizens reactions and debate over the space race, -and develop Neil Armstrong's character and environment (his family, his friends, the tragedies he went through).

If anyone is interested in reading more about the movie (though it seems unlikely) I recommend two articles about it, both written by Jeffrey Kluger and published on Time magazine : the first is about its accuracy, and the second is First Man tells the story of a hero you thought you knew (October 22 issue). Eventually, I'll add that Ryan Gosling was, as always, fine, and Claire Foy truly stood out for me (that actress may become one of my fav !).

Other films I saw this week-end :

Cold War : A supposedly compelling, impossible and passionate love story. As always when I have high expectations (and that was the case here because I remembered Director's Pawel Pawlikowski's movie Ida was beautiful), I ended up disappointed. Or rather I just didn't get into the movie this time, despite its beautiful imagery and attractive actors (Tomasz Kot looked smoking hot at times, Joanna Kulig was definitely captivating).

Sauvage, about a young male prostitute. Shallow me never says no to some nice male nudity, but I had no empathy (or sympathy) towards the main character. Although he was unlucky, genuinely (?) clueless and kind (most of the time), some of his junkie habits and stupid decisions got on my nerves. Cute face though...and cute body :p

I have been interested in space and space travel since I was in high school. Considered becoming an astronaut while in graduate school and I love anything that is related to Space and beyond our galaxy. I visited NASA in Houston and toured with an astronaut to see the facility, how they train, etc., and to get advice on what I needed to do to become an astronaut like her. I have still not visited Cape Canaveral but it has been on my bucket list for quite some time.

Given that background, I had high expectations of 'First Man'. I was so upset because it is a poorly made movie, except for the shots of the lunar landscape. Those are fantastic, and probably saved the movie from becoming total garbage.

The movie focuses too much on his personal life, while ignoring the magnitude of the event itself. I don't care if it was Ryan Gosling playing Neil Armstrong, but to make it sound like he single handedly made the moon landing a reality is beyond ridiculous.

The movie was not too long. It was just a BAD movie. It was upsetting to me that someone took a good story and ruined it. However, I will not be surprised if it gets a bunch of Oscar nominations simply because of none recognitions.

The example of a Good space movie is Apollo 13. 'Gravity' was a good movie but it was fiction, so it is apples and oranges, in a way (to me).
I will try to think of some more.

P.S. this is JMO. Not trying to take away Your enjoyment of the movie. I am glad that you had a good time.

Last edited:

DannyCurry

Given that background, I had high expectations of 'First Man'. I was so upset because it is a poorly made movie, except for the shots of the lunar landscape. Those are fantastic, and probably saved the movie from becoming total garbage.

The movie focuses too much on his personal life, while ignoring the magnitude of the event itself. I don't care if it was Ryan Gosling playing Neil Armstrong, but to make it sound like he single handedly made the moon landing a reality is beyond ridiculous.

The movie was not too long. It was just a BAD movie. It was upsetting to me that someone took a good story and ruined it. However, I will not be surprised if it gets a bunch of Oscar nominations simply because of none recognitions.

The example of a Good space movie is Apollo 13. 'Gravity' was a good movie but it was fiction, so it is apples and oranges, in a way (to me).
I will try to think of some more.

P.S. this is JMO. Not trying to take away Your enjoyment of the movie. I am glad that you had a good time.

That's ok, no one will take away my enjoyment of anything. To each their own. I'm not trying to convince anyone and most of the time I'm not easily influenced by others' opinions either, but we're all free to share our 2 cents !

Upon viewing the film and even after reading your comment, I still don't find that the movie made it sound like Neil Armstrong single handedly made the moon landing a reality. To me it told the story of the talented (but somewhat ordinary) man that had to overcome personal struggles while he was part of a team that would reach an incredibly hard goal (and he wasn't even favored at first for that mission). That said, it's true that the movie focuses on his personal life but that's also mainly why I found it more compelling. I also really liked that Damien Chazelle didn't go with an overly predictable super patriotic and 'heavy' moon landing. What I gather from your post is that you wished that the movie didn't focus so much of Neil's personal life and that there had been more beautiful space sequences, so I can understand why you (and others) were disappointed. Of course I would never mind some more space shots but again, I did like that the movie went beyond the "easy" path of simply beautiful aesthetics (unlike Gravity, that despite its stunningly impressive imagery, left me cold because the story was utterly preprosterous in that one, JMO too). Chazelle went for realism more than heavy dramatization and universally eye-pleasing aesthetics and for me it worked well.

As for the Oscars, are those even meaningful at all ? I mean, <3 Jennifer Lawrence but best actress for Silver Linings Playbook, really ?!! And The Shape of Water, best movie ? :lol: Please, the Academy must be kidding !!

Some other space-related movies : Interstellar (which IIRC I did not enjoy), The Martian (with Matt Damon, another absolutely ludicrous storyline), Elysium (fiction), 2001 : A Space Odyssey (absolute masterpiece for me, though, quite long), Man of Steel (yes Henry Cavill, please take me to whatever planet you want !). I'm drifting away, I guess I should go to bed..

Cheers !

PeterG

They Died with Their Boots On (1941) is a western romantic drama, the eighth screen pairing of Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. A "high fictionalized" (imdb.com) telling of the life of George Armstrong Custer. I'm not overly familiar with Custer's story, but while watching it I couldn't help but wonder how much this movie was messing with Custer's true story. In spite of that, I enjoyed the movie, which is well directed by Raoul Walsh (White Heat, High Sierra, Klondike Annie) and of course has the incredible star power of Flynn and de Havilland. According to Wikipedia, this movie was the second highest grossing movie of 1941, behind Sergeant York.

watchthis!!

Rambo gets a new look as Sylvester Stallone announces start of filming on Rambo V
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/10/rambo-gets-a-new-look-at-sylvester-stallone-announces-start-of-filming-on-rambo-v/

Finally. We have been waiting for EVER. :p

None of the above.

I mentioned that they have published the schedule, which I have seen. I know what movies are playing. My question is a general one. Out of so many movies how do you choose, if you have past experience with international film festivals? Is there a methodology or do you randomly pick titles that appeal you?

You did not need to slam me for asking an innocent question.

Sorry, I mis-understood you. I thought you literally wanted people to handpick some movies for you to go see. I added a :p to mean I was joking, thinking you meant more than I was understanding.

As far as film festivals go, a friend of mine just reads through their guide, circles the movies he wants to see and then crosses out the ones that are playing while he is at work. With those left over, he goes to see which of his picks mosts interests him at that moment.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'The Hate U Give' today. Very relatable in the current environment of bigotry, hate, police killing unarmed black men. It show multiple angles.

Amandla Stenberg (she played Rue in the first Hunger Games movie)gives a powerful performance as Starr, the 16 year old who watches her friend (not boyfriend) killed by a white cop, for no real reason. She has grown into a pretty young woman. The supporting cast is good.

The story moves well but gets stuck in long conversations before the murder, and the last part is unnecessarily melodramatic and long drawn out. They could have easily shaved off 15 -20 minutes. The middle part is interesting.

One thing that bothered me toward the end was Starr yelling at the police, trying to encourage the protestors, was reminiscent of the 4th Hunger games. Too much Jennifer Lawrence-like. It reminds me of an article in Newsweek - 'Children of Katniss Everdeen'. It was about the current trend to show young female characters as leaders, fighters, similar to Katniss.

I didn't quite understand the title. It is sort of explained in the movie, but I still didn't understand it.Not sure if this may need understanding of the black culture.

Overall, quite good because it addresses a social issue, but it could have been even more impactful, if they had edited out parts of it. I would say 7-7.5/10. It is showing 6.7 on IMDB, but in 90s on Rotten Tomatoes. It has some flaws but still worth seeing.

Last edited:

annie720

Saw First Man last night. Neither hubby nor I cared for it. We felt like the story could have been told better, in a way where they could have told the story they wanted, but made it more interesting to watch. Hubby's comment was that they did a good job of portraying Armstrong as the wet fish he was supposed to be, but it unfortunately made the movie a wet fish as well.

PeterG

Trailers For Movies Released 2018-11-02nd
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuI4-fSHhipTlDgEONqJCVEQ8MAF7tcLa
  1. “The Other Side of the Wind” is a movie Orson Welles began shooting in 1970 and 1976. Welles had difficulty getting financing, so shot portions of the movie when he had the money. Over 40 years later, the movie has now been completed due to interest from Netflix.
  2. "Daughters of the Sexual Revolution" looked much better than I expected, but in spite of the trailer I fear it might be really about objectifying women. If anyone sees this movie and I am not giving it the benefit of the doubt, please let me know!

Nov. 2nd - Bohemian Rhapsody (Wide) – Musical drama with Rami Malek, Ben Hardy [X-Men: Apocalypse], Mike Meyers and Tom Hollander [The Night Manager]

Nov. 2nd - The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Wide) – Adventure fantasy with Mackenzie Foy [Twilight Breaking Dawn], Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Richard E. Grant and Misty Copeland

Nov. 2nd - Nobody’s Fool (Wide) – Comedy drama with Tiffany Haddish, Whoopi Goldberg, Amber Riley [Glee] and Missi Pyle

Nov. 2nd - Boy Erased (Limited) – Drama with Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, Joel Edgerton, Russell Crowe, Xavier Dolan and Troye Sivan

Nov. 2nd - The Other Side of the Wind (Limited - Netflix) – Comedy drama with John Huston, Susan Strasberg, Peter Bogdanovich, Mercedes McCambridge, Paul Mazursky and Dennis Hopper

Nov. 2nd - They'll Love Me When I'm Dead (Limited - Netflix Only) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “In the final fifteen years of the life of legendary director Orson Welles he pins his Hollywood comeback hopes on a film, The Other Side of the Wind ,in itself a film about an aging film director trying to finish his last great movie.”

Nov. 2nd - A Private War (Limited) – War drama with Rosamund Pike, Jamie Dornan and Stanley Tucci

Nov. 2nd - American Deep State (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “For the first time in History, American People See the Possibility That Elected U.S Governments Must Follow The Rules Set By Washington Bureaucratic Institutions.”
…no trailer at youtube..

Nov. 2nd - Monster Party (Limited) – Horror mystery thriller with Julian McMahon, Robin Tunney and Lance Reddick [John Wick]

Nov. 1st - Unlovable (Limited) – Musical comedy drama with Charlene deGuzman, John Hawkes, Jake McDorman [Murphy Brown] and Melissa Leo

Nov. 2nd - In Search of Greatness (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Through the eyes of the greatest athletes of all time, IN SEARCH OF GREATNESS is a cinematic journey into the secrets of genius.”

Nov. 2nd - The Holiday Calendar (Limited - Netflix Only) – Holiday romance with Kat Graham [The Vampire Diaries], Quincy Brown [Star] and Ron Cephas Jones [This Is Us]

Nov. 2nd - Prospect (Limited) – Sci-fi with Pedro Pascal [Kingsman: The Golden Circle] and Jay Duplass [Transparent]

Nov. 2nd - Distant Constellation (Oscar Qualifying Run) – Documentary from Turkey. From imdb.com: “A Tarkovskian dream-like landscape, featuring the inhabitants of a Turkish retirement home where pranksters, artists and old casanovas seduce us to confront the true nature of time.”

Nov. 2nd - Bodied (Limited) – Musical comedy drama with a new cast & Anthony Michael Hall. From imdb.com: “A progressive graduate student finds success and sparks outrage when his interest in battle rap as a thesis subject becomes a competitive obsession.”

Nov. 2nd - Possum (Limited) – Horror thriller with a new cast. From imdb.com: “After returning to his childhood home, a disgraced children's puppeteer is forced to confront his wicked stepfather and the secrets that have tortured his entire life.”

Nov. 2nd - Daughters of the Sexual Revolution: The Untold Story of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “The never-before-told story of Suzanne Mitchell, the fiercely-loyal den mother of the original Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Seen by many as regressive and exploitative, this diverse sisterhood of small-town "girls next door" became a controversial pop culture phenomenon at the height of the Sexual Revolution, changing the game of football -- and America -- forever.”

Nov. 2nd - The Grief of Others (Limited) – Drama with a new cast & Rachel Dratch [Crazy Ex-Girlfriend]. From imdb.com: “The story is based on the novel by Leah Hager Cohen in which a couple's baby dies 57 hours after his birth and the parents try to return to their previous lives and struggle to regain a semblance of normalcy for themselves and their two children.”

Nov. 2nd - Time Trap (Limited) – Sci-fi adventure with a new cast. From imdb.com: “A group of students venture into the deep caves of remote Texas to locate a favorite archaeology professor who inexplicably has gone missing while searching for the Fountain of Youth. In the course of their pursuit, the group unwittingly rappels into a break in the space-time continuum…”

Nov. 2nd - Searching For Ingmar Bergman (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Internationally renowned director Margarethe von Trotta takes a closer look at Bergman's life and work and explores his film legacy with Bergman's closest collaborators, both in front and behind the camera, as well as a new generation of filmmakers.”

Nov. 2nd - Rampant (Limited) – Action from South Korea. From imdb.com: “Lee Chung is a Prince of Joseon, but he has been taken hostage to the Qing Dynasty. He enjoys boozing, womanizing and gambling. He is also an excellent swordsman. His older brother Lee Young will succeed to the throne and brings Lee Chung to Joseon. He returns after more than 10 years. Soon, Lee Chung faces monsters that run rampant in the night.”

watchthis!!

Nov. 2nd - Bohemian Rhapsody (Wide) – Musical drama with Rami Malek, Ben Hardy [X-Men: Apocalypse], Mike Meyers and Tom Hollander [The Night Manager]

Can't wait to hear people's thoughts on this one. :cheer: Unless I'm the first to see it! :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Bad times at the El Royale' yesterday. Not really my kind of movie- too weird and violent- but it had 7.4 on Imdb, and some rave reviews from fans. I wanted to be out of my house on Halloween evening, so I went to the movie (I did leave a bowl of candies outside my door, with a note to take 2 or 3 each).

For the first 30 minutes it was so slow and boring that I considered walking out. Then it picked up a nice pace and became quite interesting, with surprising twists and turns, and ended with a definite The End, instead of an open (what if..) one.

The acting was good throughout. I understand why people loved this movie - it is On the Edge of your seat type movie, though the violence was a bit too much for me. Also I didn't quite understand why certain characters had arrived at that hotel. I won't tell you which ones because that would be a spoiler. The less you know about this movie, the more you are likely to enjoy the movie.

One thing is really bothering me this year- Extremely slow pacing and unnecessarily long dialogues in the first part (sometimes longer) of the movie. I saw this trend in at least three movies recently (A star is born, The hate u give, and one more that I can't remember ; First man was boring 90 percent of the time). Why? This is so against the technique of writing a screenplay!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw the trailers of 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Green book' and 'Vice' yesterday. I am likely to see these movies, based on the trailers. Also 'The Front Runner' looks interesting.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I found some information about the Scottsdale International Film Festival, that could help me decide which movies to see. A local publication has listed 7 movies that one must see. I don't have time for 7, but I may see 1 or 2.

A single ticket costs $14 and can be purchased only at the theatre (except for Roma) before the movie starts. Not sure why they won't sell tickets on line. The ticket for Roma can be purchased only at the Scottsdale Performing Arts Center in person (I missed the deadline which was today at 5 pm), and they may not be available anymore. I will have to call them tomorrow morning to see if I can buy the ticket by phone.

I think a pass costs $300- I assume this means you can see ALL the movies if you want.

Here is the list of the 7 recommended movies. I think a lot will depend on my schedule. It seems most of these don't fit my schedule on Fri/Sat, but may be one of the weekdays I can make it.

1.Roma (Spanish)- This is generating some Oscar buzz and is a part of the opening ceremony. So the ticket is very expensive ($28). There will be a 30 minute discussion after the movie.

2.Cold War (I think this is Polish, but I am not sure. It has no dialogue, only images, so I won't see it)

3.Shoplifters (Japan)- I am interested in this if the schedule works for me.

4. Rafiki (Kenya)

5.The Judge - (I am interested in this, but can't remember why. There was a Hollywood movie by that name, and may be it is the one they are showing)

6. I am not a witch - (Good movie to see right after Halloween - LOL)

7.Amateur (with Jeff Bridges, but it is a porno movie, so I am going to skip it)

ETA:

I found one that sounds interesting and has a 7.6 on IMDB. 'Woman at war' is from Iceland. It has won some awards at other film festivals, including Cannes. I could see it on Nov. 10 if I decide to splurge (the late night ending means I may have to stay in a hotel that night).

This is quite exciting. I have never been to a film festival.

Many of the other movies rom the above list have a less than 7 on imdb.

I think Roma could win the best foreign language film Oscar this year. The ticket is a bit steep so I may not see it. I am sure it will come to regular theatres around Jan/Feb.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I too don't find the topic appealing, but googled the film out of curiosity and watched the trailer. It looks just terrible!

I am reminded of Auto Focus, starring Greg Kinnear as Bob Craine. I saw the movie mainly because I was a Hogan's Heroes fan.

But after walking out, I was like, 'What the heck did I just witness?" It was such a pointless exercise.

Last edited:

PeterG

Rebel Wilson ordered to repay millions in defamation case
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44625076

I thought you were saying she was found guilty, when really the opposite is true. The magazine Wilson sued was found in the wrong and Wilson was giving the money she won to charity. Wilson's tweet after the amount was decreased significiantly:

The actress wrote on Twitter at the time: "That's now $4 million less going to less fortunate Australians and leaves a billionaire corporation, proven guilty of malicious defamation, being able to get away with their seriously harmful acts for a very low pay day."

:fragile:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Bohemian Rhapsody' today. Very good. (9/10). Well written, directed, acted, and sung/played/performed. It seems to have created the atmosphere of that era very well. I didn't know much about Queen, though I am very familiar with some of their songs. I knew almost nothing about Freddie Mercury. I didn't know that he came from a Parsi family. He did not look Parsi (he looked more like Michael Jackson to me, in the beginning) which is just a minor flaw. The movie rises to great heights at the end. Very emotional. When the end credits started rolling, most people sat in their seats, watching and hearing the real life Freddie Mercury. This is perhaps the best movie I have seen this year, so far.
Definitely recommend this.

Expect many Oscar nominations. At the Golden Globes it will be a great competition between this and 'A star is born ' in the Comedy and Musical category.

Last edited:

PeterG

Expect many Oscar nominations. At the Golden Globes it will be a great competition between this and 'A star is born ' in the Comedy and Musical category.

I think I read something that A Star Is Born is being put forward in the drama category rather than comedy/musical. If this is true, I'm guessing they are doing that because they want consideration for the main category come Oscar time, rather than being in the "other" category.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think I read something that A Star Is Born is being put forward in the drama category rather than comedy/musical. If this is true, I'm guessing they are doing that because they want consideration for the main category come Oscar time, rather than being in the "other" category.

That may be a good strategy. However, Shakespeare in Love was in that other category at the Globes, but it ran away with the BP Oscar.

VGThuy

I read that it was to stop any Drama actress from gaining traction during awards season for Gaga’s Oscar push, but how they may empower Olivia Colman if she’s free to win comedy actress.

SandraMGfan

But that would make sense no? Both a star is born and bohemian rhapsody are drama about musicians not pieces where the music words support and move the plot forward?
(Not that applying logic to awards would makes sense ahaha)

PeterG

But that would make sense no? Both a star is born and bohemian rhapsody are drama about musicians not pieces where the music words support and move the plot forward?
(Not that applying logic to awards would makes sense ahaha)

From what I recall, usually people just want to win awards. So they put their work into whatever category they can, so that they can win. With A Star Is Born, it's different. They all seem to want the movie to win in the big categories and on the big night (Oscar night). They don't want what some see as a consolation prize (Golden Globe for best musical or comedy), but rather they want the biggest prize: the Oscar for Best Picture of the Year.

manhn

Wasn't Walk the Line in the musical category? I view ASIB & BR as musicals. Musicals don't need to make me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information