Let's Talk Movies #33: Star Wars: Jabba Rising...Captain America Trumps China...and MORE!

Which Movies Might You See In 2017? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• The Lego Batman Movie

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Logan

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • T2: Trainspotting

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Kong: Skull Island

• Beauty and the Beast

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Snatched

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Alien: Covenant

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

VGThuy

So Sony doesn't own the rights to Spider-Man on TV? I thought they did. :slinkaway In any case hopefully Disney/Marvel will fully own the righs to Spider-Man soon! THIS is one of the best reactions I have seen yet. :cheer2:

This section of the wiki page explains what happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_(TV_series)#Cancellation

On September 1, 2009, the television rights for Spider-Man were returned to Marvel by Sony. At the time, President of Marvel Animation Eric Rollman further stated that "no decisions have been made either way" regarding the fate of the series. Newsarama reported that the series' cancellation occurred just after The Walt Disney Company acquired Marvel Entertainment in December 2009.

On April 13, 2010, Marvel announced that a new series loosely based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book storyline would air on Disney XD in the fall of 2011, which actually aired on April 1, 2012. The same day the new series was announced, Weisman told IGN: "I've heard nothing directly from Marvel, but I think the Ultimate Spider-Man announcement makes it fairly clear that Spectacular is over." Marvel Animation and Sony also commented on this to Marvel Animation Age, confirming that the series had ceased production.

Weisman would later write that in 2009, in exchange for concessions on the movie rights, Sony had relinquished to Marvel its license to produce television works that used Spider-Man and associated characters, but had retained ownership of The Spectacular Spider-Man series and all of the production elements created specifically for it, such as character designs and storylines. Therefore, neither Sony nor Marvel could continue production of the series, as each lacked some of the essential rights to do so. Additionally, at approximately the same time that Sony returned the Spider-Man television rights to Marvel, Marvel was acquired by The Walt Disney Company.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Believe it or not I was never into comicbooks or superhero cartoons as a kid, but I have always loved the movies. IMHO The female leads in many superhero movies are unfortunately there mostly just to be saved, so I am not sure it will matter much what Spidey's main squeeze is called. LOL

I never cared for comic books or super heroes as a kid and never cared for those movies, except the Suoerman movies with Christopher Reeve.

Last edited:

PeterG

Tonight I watched Some Like It Hot. It's one of those movies that I've heard so much about over the years that I guess I've built up my expectations too high. I think the cast is phenomenal, from the main cast to the supporting players to those with just a few lines. But I thought the script was just so-so. I didn't find much of what was supposed to be funny to be very humorous. It seems Marilyn Monroe gave director Billy Wilder what he wanted....but we've seen this all before and in much better movies (How To Marry A Millionaire). I'm not sure I find Jack Lemmon to be much of a comedian. Tony Curtis is better, but his Cary Grant schtick, (while at first, almost endearing) goes on a fair bit too long. So overall I'm disappointed, but happy to see Monroe on screen, alongside Curtis and Lemmon. Just wish the three of them had something much, much better to work with. :(

watchthis!!

I watched Chaos Theory yesterday, an old Ryan Reynolds movie. I'm not sure if it's from when he was still awaiting his time in the spotlight or if he was experiencing a lull in his career. I see that this movie only made about one quarter of a million dollars, which is unfortunate because it has some good moments to it, although those moments are fairly dark. I think this movie might have been promoted as a comedy, but it's interesting rather than funny...more of a dark comedy. Quirky drama is probably a better description. Reynolds plays a man that very much believes in structure and living a very scheduled life. One day his schedule is thrown off track and one thing after another goes wrong. And things just keep going in that direction. I think Reynolds is quite strong in this movie and it seems like Hollywood has a tough time figuring out what to do with him...or accepting that he is really quite versatile as a movie star and as an actor as well. There are a few moments where his character is silent and the camera stays on his face and you can see that he can convey a lot without needing any dialogue. Reynolds has done well with comedy films and now has his Deadpool success. Now Hollywood needs to give him some good dramatic work to sink his teeth into. He can really do anything.

Trailer for Chaos Theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bceAWVi2SvA

PeterG

I (eventually) look over the box office charts to see how the movies debuting did. I also look over all the debuts to see if any made the theatres that weren't on my list. Here's one that grabbed my attention. It's called Moka, a French drama starring Emmanuelle Devos, who you might recognize. Here's the (brief) description of the movie from imdb.com:

A grieving woman pursues a couple who she suspects of killing her son in a hit-and-run.

I'm intrigued but undecided about this one. Thought I'd post this to see if anyone else might see it and give us all a review. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALwtCMnaw8

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The movie A Dog's Purpose did so well in China (where it made 88 million compared to 64 million in North America) that the sequel will be made with Chinese audiences in mind. (The movie was marketed in China to middle class pet-owners). The worldwide box office for A Dog's Purpose was just under 190 million on a 25 million budget.
I watched A Dog's Purpose last week. I will usually suspend disbelief at the door to enjoy a movie but the overall premise was very sentimental & the wrap up for the story was way too predictable & convenient for my taste. Even so, there I sat boohooing away, because a dog movie is a dog movie is a dog movie... The dogs were all winners & Peggy Lipton looked great! :dog:

watchthis!!

One Smaller Movie Crushed At The Box Office This Weekend
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1674149/one-smaller-movie-crushed-at-the-box-office-this-weekend

The Big Sick was only released in five theaters this weekend, but it nabbed the highest per theater average of a film this year.

It brought in $87,000 per theatre. It played in five theatres this past weekend and will expand from L.A. and New York to more theatres across the country in upcoming weeks.

A comparison is made to Sofia Coppola's "The Beguiled" which played in four theatres and made $60,136 per theatre. (Which is still a really high number.)

There's also a comparison to the previous record for this year, which was Beauty and The Beast, which made $41,508 per theater.

PeterG

Not a good week for new movies... :(

Trailers For Movies Released 2017-06-30th
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuI4-fSHhipQKGngqBHPEbGMzXkYe3cCS

June 28th - Baby Driver (Wide) – Action with Ansel Elgort, Jamie Foxx, Jon Hamm, Lily James (Cinderella), Jon Bernthal and Kevin Spacey

June 30th - Despicable Me 3 (Wide) – Animated adventure with Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Trey Parker, Steve Coogan, Jenny Slate and Julie Andrews

June 30th - The House (Wide) – Comedy with Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler and Nick Kroll

June 30th - The Little Hours (Limited) – Romantic comedy with Alison Brie, Dave Franco, Aubrey Plaza, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, Fred Armisen, Nick Offerman and Paul Reiser

June 30th - 2:22 (Limited) – Thriller with Teresa Palmer and Michiel Huisman [Game of Thrones]

June 28th - Okja (Limited - Netflix) – Action drama with Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano, Giancarlo Esposito [Breaking Bad] and Shirley Henderson

June 30th - Inconceivable (Limited) – Thriller with Nicolas Cage, Gina Gershon and Faye Dunaway

June 28th – Hired Gun (Special Engagement) – From imdb.com: “A documentary film about session and touring musicians that are hired by well established and famous bands and artists like Metallica, KISS, and Billy Joel.”

June 30th - The Veil (Limited) – Thriller with Jessica Alba, Lily Rabe and Thomas Jane

June 30th – Mali Blues (Limited) – Musical documentary. From imdb.com: “Mali's Music defines the country's cultural identity. Radical Islamists are threatening the musicians. Together with the stars of Malian Global Pop…we embark on a musical journey to Mali's agitated heart. Can their music reconcile the country?”

June 30th – Darkness Rising (Limited) – Horror, new cast. From imdb.com: “Nearly murdered as a child by her mother, a woman (Katrina Law) returns to the house where her mom went mad.”

June 30th - The Reagan Show (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Made up entirely of archival news and White House footage, this documentary captures the pageantry, absurdity, and mastery of the made-for-TV politics of Ronald Reagan.”

June 30th - 13 Minutes (Limited) – German drama. From imdb.com: “In November 1939, Georg Elser's attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler fails, and he is arrested. During his confinement, he recalls the events leading up to his plot and his reasons for deciding to take such drastic action.”

June 30th - The Skyjacker’s Tale (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “After five citizens of the Virgin Islands are convicted in the 1970s of a massacre at one of the island's fancy country clubs, their ostensible leader stages a skyjacking and escapes to Cuba.

June 30th – Reset (Limited) – Chinese sci-fi. From imdb.com: “When her son is kidnapped, the inventor of a time machine teams up with multiple versions of her future self to rescue him. “

June 30th – Marie Currie (Limited) – German drama. From imdb.com: “Follows the famous physicist and chemist Marie Curie and her struggle for recognition in the male-dominated science community in early 20th century France.”

June 30th - B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A look at the life and work of photographer Elsa Dorfman.”

VGThuy

Baby Driver seems to have received excellent reviews. I wonder if it will get some awards notice. Speaking of, The Beguiled seems to have some serious critiques but it also has some serious support from the top film critics of the country. I found those types of movies to be the most fascinating to watch even more so than when a movie gets like 90-100% on Metacritic, because they offer points of contention and disagreements by people who are passionate one way or the other.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I think they're both fantastic. But I would probably give The Apartment the edge.
Two movies that everyone holds up as stellar examples of Old Hollywood are Some Like It Hot and Singing In The Rain. I didn't enjoy either of them as much as I thought I would. Both movies had lots of things I really liked, but left me feeling flat overall. I do plan to watch them again, there have been a few movies that I didn't enjoy on my initial viewing that I found I really liked when I watched them later.

I have so much love for The Apartment though, I have a lot of favourite movies, I've seen so many choosing just one is impossible, but The Apartment is just so, so good. I love the acting, the directing, the cinematography, the script. It just hits me every time I watch it. I should watch it again, it's been probably 3 years since I watched it.

I don't normally go for car movies, but Edgar Wright directed Baby Driver and I have been a massive fan of his since I saw Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz in 2010 before Scott Pilgrim vs. The World came out. So I will definitely be seeing Baby Driver in theatre, but probably not until next weekend because of work. He also directed Spaced with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes which is one of my all time favourite sitcoms.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched the movie Immortal Beloved, about Beethoven's muse. The music was heavenly (no surprise) but the movie was confusing to me. Will have to watch it again, bug it's not a particularly good movie. I watched it because our tour guide in Prague had recommended it. Parts of it were shot in Prague. Gary Oldman as Beethoven was good but I didn't dare for any of the female characters. I may change my opinion after watching it again though.

ETA- It was much better on second viewing. I am still not clear about the chronological events. In any case the music was great. At one point Ludwig tells his friend Anton that the music tells the audience the state of mind of the composer. Later, in the 9th symphony he reveals himself (paraphrasing)

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just finished watching a Russian movie - Ballad of a soldier. It us lovely. It's very old 1959) and in B&W. I wish it had a happy ending though. (This is not a spoiler. They open the movie with the end). Majority of Russian movies I have seen had tragic endings,

The B&W cinematography was lovely. The acting was good and there even was some subtle humor.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Finally got around to watching Dr. Strange. What a horrible movie. Bad dialog, actors seem to drop in and out of character (and they had some good ones, too, so what was up with that?) Plus the "story" made no sense and they basically just made up stuff/spouted mumbo-jumbo in order to advance the plot to the next "fight". The universe they created wasn't coherent within itself either. I think it was just a bunch of martial arts scenes loosely stitched together.

In particular, I was really disappointed in Swindon as The Ancient One. She didn't seem remotely ancient and it wasn't clear why her followers paid any attention to her. A mystic teacher is supposed to be mystic. Not matter-of-fact and sing-song-y like a Kindergarten teacher.

The motivation and character development was poor for Dr. Strange too. Cumberbatch usually delivers but I didn't buy his "transformation" at all.

Anyway, glad we didn't actually spend money on it.

PeterG

:DHello from Phoenix! Today was only our second day here, but already we are running to the movie theatre to avoid the heat. We arrived a bit late so we skipped Wonder Woman because I didn't' want to have missed how it starts. We chose Baby Driver even though I really didn't like the trailer. But it was SOOOOOOO good!!!

Baby Driver seems to have received excellent reviews. I wonder if it will get some awards notice.

I wondered that too because I thought the direction and script were brilliant, the acting was perfect and the action scenes were probably the best I have ever seen. I gave the movie a 9.5 out of 10, but my friend rated it only as a six. I think he must have been dealing with heat stroke. :p

I don't normally go for car movies, but Edgar Wright directed Baby Driver and I have been a massive fan of his since I saw Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz in 2010 before Scott Pilgrim vs. The World came out. So I will definitely be seeing Baby Driver in theatre, but probably not until next weekend because of work. He also directed Spaced with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes which is one of my all time favourite sitcoms.

I heard this movie had a REALLY high rating on rotten tomatoes, so that helped me along in seeing this. Plus I remembered this post of yours. So both your wanting to see it and your mention of Wright's work luckily got me into the theatre to see this. Lucky me!!! :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
:DHello from Phoenix! Today was only our second day here, but already we are running to the movie theatre to avoid the heat. We arrived a bit late so we skipped Wonder Woman because I didn't' want to have missed how it starts. We chose Baby Driver even though I really didn't like the trailer. But it was SOOOOOOO good!!!

I wondered that too because I thought the direction and script were brilliant, the acting was perfect and the action scenes were probably the best I have ever seen. I gave the movie a 9.5 out of 10, but my friend rated it only as a six. I think he must have been dealing with heat stroke. :p

I heard this movie had a REALLY high rating on rotten tomatoes, so that helped me along in seeing this. Plus I remembered this post of yours. So both your wanting to see it and your mention of Wright's work luckily got me into the theatre to see this. Lucky me!!! :D

Welcome to Phoenix, Peter! How did you choose the worst time of the year to visit here? :lol: At least it is much better this week than the last, when we had 119 and 118 deg F temperatures. Don't forget to drink lots of water, even indoor.

I usually stay away from the summer blockbusters, which is a pity. Summer is the perfect time to be in movie theatres. I may look up Baby driver though, based on your comments.

Seerek

I've only watched one of these, the Romanian language/French produced film Bacalaureat/Graduation.

This is definitely in the vein of Cristian Mungiu's other works. A very effective film in communicating how idealism's hopes are almost always never realized, even for the most well-intentioned of individuals (and especially in the regional context of 21st century Romania). Interestingly, this film was not Romania's entry for last year's Foreign Film Oscar (that honour went to Sieranevada, though that film didn't make the first shortlist).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information