ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

RoseRed

I wonder if the fields will be limited to the usual 8/10/12 entries. It doesn't matter for many of the disciplines/events, but I'm thinking about the dance at SC specifically. Because presumably SC will want more than 3 Canadian teams (at a minimum Gilles/Poirier, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Lajoie/Lagha and Soucisse/Firus), but IAM definitely has more than 5-6 options who are in Canada right now.

Hedwig

Antique member
I wonder if they will waive the limit of three skaters per country. It would be make Cup of Russia much more interesting.
It would be very unfair if it wasnt. Lots of skaters with guaranteed spots would not be able to skate otherwise

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
France has access to all of the skaters training in the Schengen Zone though, because those borders are open again (to a greater or lesser extent).

The numbers of new cases are rising rapidly in France, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium and Spain....
The numbers look likely to continue to increase with people returning from foreign holidays and the schools opening in September.
So not sure if the Schengen countries' borders will remain open, only time will tell.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The numbers of new cases are rising rapidly in France, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium and Spain....
The numbers look likely to continue to increase with people returning from foreign holidays and the schools opening in September.
So not sure if the Schengen countries' borders will remain open, only time will tell.

Lately, time hasn't been telling me a single thing I want to hear.

Vagabond

The reasoning given in the announcement suggests that Cup of China might not be happening after all. If it isn't, perhaps the ISU would allow the South Korean Federation to host a replacement event.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

Cases are plummeting in Sweden. Maybe we should hold all events there. :saint: Or maybe by fall they won’t want to risk their herd immunity on lockdown countries.

cygnus

Cases are plummeting in Sweden. Maybe we should hold all events there. :saint: Or maybe by fall they won’t want to risk their herd immunity on lockdown countries.

Sweden had 426 new cases yesterday, and 335 the day before (their reporting is a bit half-assed- it takes a couple of days for cases to show up). While certainly down from their highs- that's a lot for a nation of 10,000,000 people, Canada had fewer than that, (395) with nearly 4 times the population, as did Italy and the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden may not be the mess that the US or the UK or South America is, but it's not doing all that well.

ballettmaus

I wouldn't call a 32% increase over the last week in the rolling seven day average for new cases "plummeting."

Sweden had 426 new cases yesterday, and 335 the day before (their reporting is a bit half-assed- it takes a couple of days for cases to show up). While certainly down from their highs- that's a lot for a nation of 10,000,000 people, Canada had fewer than that, (395) with nearly 4 times the population, as did Italy and the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden may not be the mess that the US or the UK or South America is, but it's not doing all that well.

Shh. We don't do facts about Sweden ;)

Orm Irian

Also compare it to Switzerland with population 8,660,000 and 181 new cases. Sweden is doing much better than it was but it's been a long slow process getting there and it's going to take longer still to bring the numbers further down unless they intervene more substantially than they have to date.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Also compare it to Switzerland with population 8,660,000 and 181 new cases. Sweden is doing much better than it was but it's been a long slow process getting there and it's going to take longer still to bring the numbers further down unless they intervene more substantially than they have to date.
I found it strange that everyone was holding Sweden up as doing something remarkable but they have had it worse than the other Scandinavian countries.

concorde

So Skate Canada should have a magnificent dance field...so many countries’ champs training there.

Wonder if fans will be allowed.
I still have my Air Canada credit from Worlds.
If Canada is letting USA residents in by then (which I doubt), maybe I will attend.

D

Deleted member 221

Sweden has single digit intensive care cases and single digit deaths.

Like other (alleged) hot spots, most of those testing positive are young, healthy, and not experiencing severe symptoms. HERD IMMUNITY, baby!

No one in the entire country younger than 20 has died from c*vid. 67.5% of deaths are over 80 - which is tragic, but we all must (as Sweden has) weigh lost life v. lost lives. THE SHOW MUST GO ON! And I'm thankful that the ISU has found a way for it to do so (similar to what I suggested on this thread).

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wonder if fans will be allowed.

I doubt most competitions that are held this fall will be allowing a lot of spectators. Possibly a very few may be allowed with masks and strict social distancing. Most likely any spectators would need to be related to the skaters or media reps who are covering the event.

Finnice

I found it strange that everyone was holding Sweden up as doing something remarkable but they have had it worse than the other Scandinavian countries.
The border between Finland and Sweden is closed, but some Swedes sail or motor to Finland in their own boats. We in Finnish coast have Swedish-speaking people, and some Finns, who are not familiar with different accents of Swedish language, have gotten hysterical, when the Swedish as mother tongue -speaking Finns are seen in shops etc.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Sweden has single digit intensive care cases and single digit deaths.

Like other (alleged) hot spots, most of those testing positive are young, healthy, and not experiencing severe symptoms. HERD IMMUNITY, baby!

No one in the entire country younger than 20 has died from c*vid. 67.5% of deaths are over 80 - which is tragic, but we all must (as Sweden has) weigh lost life v. lost lives. THE SHOW MUST GO ON! And I'm thankful that the ISU has found a way for it to do so (similar to what I suggested on this thread).
What do you mean by single digit deaths and intensive care cases?

Way to go celebrating people dying.

D

Deleted member 221

What do you mean by single digit deaths and intensive care cases?

Way to go celebrating people dying.

No need to celebrate dying because people aren't dying in Sweden - you can celebrate continued deaths in "lockdown countries."

Sweden hasn't had more than 10 daily deaths since 19 July. Last 10 days of deaths: 1, 1, 0, 1, 2, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0. Car accidents are killing more people.

Sweden also reports on number of intensive care cases per day - separating the serious cases, from the "don't even know they have it" cases and the "tested positive for antibodies and had it months ago, but it counts in the daily totals" cases that are inflating numbers elsewhere. There hasn't been more than 10 of these cases since the 23rd of June.

Amazing what you learn when you look at the data and stop with the false narratives of the media.

Winnipeg

Maybe the events could be held in a rink located in a very isolated spot with no-one around except the cameras, like way up north or something. :cold:

gkelly

If if it's way up north, maybe they can find some frozen ponds to hold the competition outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information