ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Colonel Green

And, the ISU is leaving it up to local broadcasters for TV. I suspect that means little to no coverage unless Russia decides to broadcast. NBC might show SKAM. Nothing from China or France. Japan maybe. Canada ??? Glad I did not renew my NBC sports gold. That makes me sad. I'm willing to watch pretty much anything.
With networks starved for new material, I think the broadcasters might be very interested, actually.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
If everyone is only doing one event, then how are the events going to have full rosters.

I know I shouldn't care because we are getting skating, but I'm still curious.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m not sure how they envision doing the Final unless it’s all virtual.
Well they are moving it to Jan so hopefully the world won't be a shlt show by then.

If everyone is only doing one event, then how are the events going to have full rosters.

I know I shouldn't care because we are getting skating, but I'm still curious.
By having skaters farther down the list get invites is my guess.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Tarasova/Morozov are back in Florida, so they get SKAM for sure. Some comps probably won't field a full complement of skaters. Russia and maybe the US, but Japan doesn't have any foreign skaters who train there and will have 1-2 dance teams and 1 pair team. They may not even bother with those.

Colonel Green

Tarasova/Morozov are back in Florida, so they get SKAM for sure. Some comps probably won't field a full complement of skaters. Russia and maybe the US, but Japan doesn't have any foreign skaters who train there and will have 1-2 dance teams and 1 pair team. They may not even bother with those.
Japan’s pair team is in Canada right now, so they’d be at SCI.

Colonel Green

For SCI ladies there’s Satoko for sure. I’m not sure who else from other countries is in-country — I was going to cite Niki Wories, but I think she's back in the Netherlands per her Instagram.

If Gabrielle is ever going to win a Grand Prix medal, now would be the time.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I feel sorry for the Korean ladies unless Young You is still in the US. Maybe they could travel to China?

MsZem

I see the sea
For SCI ladies there’s Satoko for sure. I’m not sure who else from other countries is in-country — I was going to cite Niki Wories, but I think she's back in the Netherlands per her Instagram.
Maya Gorodnitsky moving up to seniors? Surely her brother will be part of the men's field.

Colonel Green

Is Rika staying in Switzerland or going back to Japan? If the former, she’d stomp all over everybody at IdF, which will be the Europe-other-than-Russia comp.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So Skate Canada should have a magnificent dance field...so many countries’ champs training there.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Grand Prix figure skating series downsized to localized events

Skate Canada is scheduled to be held in Ottawa Oct. 29-Nov. 1

The International Skating Union said Tuesday that each of the six competitions will feature domestic skaters; those skaters already training in the host nation; and skaters assigned to that event for geographic reasons.

Skate Canada is scheduled to be held in Ottawa Oct. 29-Nov. 1, a week after Skate America will be held in Las Vegas.

No decisions on the Grand Prix final, set for Beijing on Dec. 10-13, have been made. That competition also is expected to serve as a test event for the 2022 Winter Olympics.

ostile17

Oh my, Muramoto/Takahashi can make the podium at NHK Trophy.
You would have ever thought... :cheer2:

MsZem

I see the sea
Oh my, Muramoto/Takahashi can make the podium at NHK Trophy.
You would have ever thought... :cheer2:
OMG, this is perfection.

I assume skaters from Australia and New Zealand would be happily accepted just about anywhere, but might struggle with travel arrangements & they would have to quarantine on their return?

Frau Muller

And they can charge your for individual events that your cut out to go to each every event. Your ticket/attendance without paying an airline ticket, expensive hotel for 2 weeks quarantine and paying for testing. Deal ⛸

AND...for an extra $100, a Fanyu can afix a little Pooh Bear doll to her face!

Cherub721

YEAH!
I wonder if they will waive the limit of three skaters per country. It would be make Cup of Russia much more interesting.

starrynight

So Skate Canada should have a magnificent dance field...so many countries’ champs training there.

Gosh that's going to be a thing. Some of these events are going to be a bit ridiculous -- skate Canada with about a gazillion dance entries. Then countries like Japan, China and France don't have a lot of international level skaters training there.

Is it still the case if skaters who are not citizens or residents leave Canada they cannot return? So it's not even like any of these teams can return to home countries.

I feel sorry for the international skaters stuck in Canada. They must be missing their families very much.

Frau Muller

I just saw on an American Tv channel that one of the big team sports (American football?) is exploring piping actual fans’ voices into the stands, in real time (for a fee). Imagine if we skating fans would pay the ISU for the right to show our faces (photos) in the stands and, for a bit extra, to scream into our remotes to cheer skaters. (Go, Nathan! Davai, Genya! Malatsui!!! Allez!!!)

p.s. What if the famous US fan group that wears the American flag jackets, sitting on the front row of events, can pay to have their usual spots, virtually???

starrynight

My question is whether some skaters would be happy to face up all of their competition so early in an extremely disjointed season where training time had been lost.

For the Gadbois skaters, Skate Canada will basically be like holding the World Champs in October after very average preparations. This is probably more dangerous for ice dancers because first impressions count.

For the Russian ladies, it will be like a very early Nationals after a very disjointed training process.

Japanfan

And, the ISU is leaving it up to local broadcasters for TV. I suspect that means little to no coverage unless Russia decides to broadcast. NBC might show SKAM. Nothing from China or France. Japan maybe. Canada ??? Glad I did not renew my NBC sports gold. That makes me sad. I'm willing to watch pretty much anything.

CBC's contract for FS expired last year, and it didn't look like we'd have any coverage for the season. They did plan to broadcast Worlds in Montreal, but only because the host city has to have a host broadcast. I don't think they will broadcast next year's worlds, unless something changes.

CTV still has Skate Canada and Nationals, SFAIK.

We've been watching skating on Eurosport, via You Tube.

Orm Irian

Gosh that's going to be a thing. Some of these events are going to be a bit ridiculous -- skate Canada with about a gazillion dance entries. Then countries like Japan, China and France don't have a lot of international level skaters training there.

Is it still the case if skaters who are not citizens or residents leave Canada they cannot return? So it's not even like any of these teams can return to home countries.

I feel sorry for the international skaters stuck in Canada. They must be missing their families very much.

France has access to all of the skaters training in the Schengen Zone though, because those borders are open again (to a greater or lesser extent).

Still think this is a ridiculous and potentially dangerous idea.

starrynight

I wonder what the ‘rona safe plan is?

In litigious countries that’s a very real financial risk to the feds. Not to mention the well being of skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information