Ice Academy of Montreal's I.AM LIVE event (Sept. 11, 2020)

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a thread for this Friday's live event - subscription & event information: https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/iamlive

Sam Chouinard will host (20% discount code in this post; teams have individual promo codes as well): https://www.instagram.com/p/CEzu75zjTTl/

Participants List (copied from the website):
Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN CAN
Rikako FUKASE / Oliver ZHANG JPN
Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN AUS
Sasha FEAR / George WADDELL GBR
Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER CAN
Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX SÉNÉCAL ARM
Emmy BRONSARD / Aissa BOUARAGUIA CAN
Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN CHN
Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN (will make an appearance from Japan: https://twitter.com/Timkoleto/status/1301003682360762368 )
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN CAN
Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LEGAC FRA
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN
Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA
Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ ESP
Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN
Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA

I.AM LIVE Panel Discussion (25 mins., Sept 5th, 2020): https://www.facebook.com/326874437774157/videos/373222930504347
The Ice Academy of Montreal and Markey Int'l Arts are speaking to the public about I.AM LIVE. We would like to take this opportunity to tell you how this event came to be and what you can be looking forward to.

OIP's Jordan Cowan is running "some ‘speed tests’ on the rink’s fiber internet today": https://www.instagram.com/p/CE1W3F1jsYR/

chantilly

It may have already been asked in other threads, but are the Fears related?

I figured yes. But you never know

Sylvia

TBD
Preview article:

ETA that On Ice Perspectives' latest Instagram posts say Papadakis/Cizeron will "reveal their new Free Dance for 2020-21" tomorrow and that Hawayek/Baker will skate their Saturday Night Fever/Bee Gees RD from last season.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Relevant excerpt:
In the meantime, this Friday (11 September) the whole world will get a sneak peek at what the IAM ice dancers and coaches have been working on since returning to the ice. “I.AM LIVE” will be a 100-minute long live-streamed training session featuring routines, a look behind the scenes at the academy and interviews.
“There is a mix – some teams are doing the rhythm dance, some are doing the free dance,” Haguenauer revealed. “Gabriella and Guillaume are going to show some pieces of their new free dance. For Maddie and Zach, we are not decided yet what they will do and for Maddie (Chock) and Evan (Bates) probably the rhythm dance. We plan to probably do another event like that before the Grand Prix with more run throughs and maybe the other programme.”
Romain Haguenauer also is quoted as saying “We also have two teams in China which we coach every day by Zoom. We do two hours every night as they are in Beijing...”

Alilou

Ubercavorter
This quote puzzled me:
“The French have to compete in France, the Canadians in Canada, the three U.S. teams compete at Skate America,” Haguenauer said. “We also have two teams in China which we coach every day by Zoom. We do two hours every night as they are in Beijing. Tim (Koleto) and Misato (Komatsubara) are back in Japan and they are going to compete at NHK so after we have to organise the travel."

I thought skaters would compete in place i.e. not travel but compete in the GP where they are located for training. Obvs at this point none of the US teams are heading to SA - they'd never get back into Canada, or it could be very difficult.

Colonel Green

I thought skaters would compete in place i.e. not travel but compete in the GP where they are located for training.
The ISU communique said that skaters could attend whichever events they could travel and get access to.

It’s certainly conceivable that they’ve been able to wrangle some return arrangement for some of the teams. Who can get across the border and back already seems somewhat arbitrary.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I thought skaters would compete in place i.e. not travel but compete in the GP where they are located for training. Obvs at this point none of the US teams are heading to SA - they'd never get back into Canada, or it could be very difficult.

Jordan Cowan who lives in NY was able to get into Canada to film the IAM event tomorrow so it’s doable.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
The ISU communique said that skaters could attend whichever events they could travel and get access to.

It’s certainly conceivable that they’ve been able to wrangle some return arrangement for some of the teams. Who can get across the border and back already seems somewhat arbitrary.
But why would they travel to the US (with all it's attendant difficulties including quarantine for 2 weeks on return) when they can compete in SC? Even more I'm puzzled as to why P&C would go to France for IdF.
But really it's the entire statement that puzzles me. As I said I thought the ISU plan was that skaters would compete where they are, or with minimal travel.
Also at this point many flights theoretically leaving Canada are being canceled. My sister is trying to get to Oz and has had her flight cancelled twice. A friend trying to get to his home in France has had the same.

Colonel Green

But why would they travel to the US (with all it's attendant difficulties including quarantine for 2 weeks on return) when they can compete in SC? Even more I'm puzzled as to why P&C would go to France for IdF.
Because their federations want their stars home, presumably. I’d especially understand that with IdF, since P/C are by far the biggest draw the French fed has.

But really it's the entire statement that puzzles me. As I said I thought the ISU plan was that skaters would compete where they are, or with minimal travel.
They basically left it up to the individual federations to decide who to invite, based on who was in-country and/or could and wanted to travel to the place.

Last edited:

starrynight

I bet P/C and other skaters are probably desperately missing home after being stuck in Canada and might be ok to have a reason to go back and see family.

There is a chance they might get stuck there for a bit but at least they will see their family. It’s not much of a season of skating anyway.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Because their federations want their stars home, presumably. I’d especially understand that with IdF, since P/C are by far the biggest draw the French fed has.

Of course it's understandable (and doable too) but as @alilou said, the point of this year's GP scheme is to limit travel to minimum. If you have French teams travel back to France, US teams travel back to US when they have the option to compete nearby in Canada, the point is lost.

Colonel Green

Of course it's understandable (and doable too) but as @alilou said, the point of this year's GP scheme is to limit travel to minimum. If you have French teams travel back to France, US teams travel back to US when they have the option to compete nearby in Canada, the point is lost.
The model was adopted because holding anything like a standard Grand Prix with people attending multiple events, being distributed by draw, etc. was impossible. It never precluded nor was meant to preclude people traveling between countries if that was an option for them and they/their federation/the host federation wanted it so.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Just thought I'd get this back on topic and mention that if you aren't seeing the video frame on the I.AM site, you'll probably need to adjust your cookies and turn off ad blocking.

I have these set pretty high on my web browsers for security reasons and spent some time futzing with the levels until I realized they all had to be turned off.

Their landing page doesn't mention any of this, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Sugar64

Just thought I'd get this back on topic and mention that if you aren't seeing the video frame on the I.AM site, you'll probably need to adjust your cookies and turn off ad blocking.

I have these set pretty high on my web browsers for security reasons and spent some time futzing with the levels until I realized they all had to be turned off.

Their landing page doesn't mention any of this, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I just get this message when I go to the site. Is that okay or should I be seeing something else?
Is this the correct link? https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/iamlive

The premium content will be available starting:

11 September 2020 09:45 (your time zone - GMT-0700).

barbarafan

I just get this message when I go to the site. Is that okay or should I be seeing something else?
Is this the correct link? https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/iamlive

The premium content will be available starting:

11 September 2020 09:45 (your time zone - GMT-0700).
I went to that link and logged in.(half and hr ago.)
I just refreshed and now there is a countdown on the screen.
Should be ok

Lacey

Sorry for being such a knucklehead, I have glorious video, is there a talk/remarks section?

chantilly

fear and partner. Cute number. Severely lacking speed.

So far just basically an open practice with all the teams performing the dances in practice gear with some comments from Romain so far.

S and D didn’t do their full footwork section.

struggled with the lift and they had to redo it.

Love that dance though

Romain needs a better mic.

most teams first big run through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information