German Skating Season 2020-21

sus2850

I can't read the full article but Christian Nüchtern officially retired. https://www.wp.de/sport/lokalsport/...n-so-entschieden-id231142164.html?service=amp
I can read it. Also @Jeschke:
He says the last season (after leaving Italy) did not go well, the results were not as hoped, they split after last nationals basically. He tried to find a new partner, but did not succeed. Co-19 made it impossible to find someone. He now stopped looking. He is now focussing on university (BWL), studying from home in NRW. He said he maybe wants to continue in figure skating as a judge or official.

Related somewhat: Mari posted an Instagram story recently, celebrating eight years together with Christian.

SkatingIsLife

The Berlin based skaters are not allowed to participate in nationals

So it makes no sense to hold nationals at all. They should have postponed it anyhow as we are in lockdown.
Totally agree this Nationals are meaningless and should not be held under the current circumstamces to start with. There is not even a need to hold the Championships at this point in time as there is NO Europeans coming up in January. So, why not just postpone it to not risking the health of all the people involved in this Nationals.

J

Jeschke

Annika just announced the end of the season for H/K.

She has a failure in her balance organ she says.
Are we sure she is speaking of entire season or only of the year (and missing nationals)?
It's strange wording: 'season 2020' as it should be 'season 2021'

Either way. Good they take their time and let her get healthy again. There is no need to rush in these (uncertain) times.

If they miss (potential) worlds though, this might get ugly and end up with only 1 spot for olympics 🆘
Which at least would make things :watch: next season.

Sabine-Yuna

Are we sure she is speaking of entire season or only of the year (and missing nationals)?
It's strange wording: 'season 2020' as it should be 'season 2021'

Either way. Good they take their time and let her get healthy again. There is no need to rush in these (uncertain) times.

If they miss (potential) worlds though, this might get ugly and end up with only 1 spot for olympics 🆘
Which at least would make things :watch: next season.
To me it sounds like she is speaking of 2020 only. Hopefully she will be healthy soon enough to skate a good WC. And there is still hope that they'll postpone WC to a later date.

japanice

Interview with Aya Hatakawa ...

J

Jeschke

In this nationals preview article, it is mentioned that Udo Dönsdorf finally steps down after 27years.
Claudia Pfeifer (former inline-skating world champ) is his successor.

sus2850

That’s too bad about Hocke/Kunkel. Wonder what Annika means by “balance organ.”

I really want to see Efimova/Blommaert.

About Annika: I guess it is an ear infection.

And I heard that Efimova/Blommaert are showing their programs in Dortmund, out of competition (and apparently not to be seen in the stream)

I also saw that the Berlin skaters are still listed as participants...

J

Jeschke

Random note: the few times I watched, I think Schott's FS really has the potential to be great (when skated clean of course).
Wonder if she will hold on to it into olympic season.

She mentioned before Pyeongchang, there are 2 music pieces she always wanted to skate on the big stage: one was Schindler's List. Back then she said the 2nd one will be shown at next olympics.

sus2850

Oh boy. Starting orders are looking scary :yikes:

Ladies.
No Schott. No Isaev.
Dance.
Only M/D left.

JvR/S are out with C-19.

Nathalie will be champion again! 😉

A shame though that they did not postpone nationals so that at least there would have been an ice dance competition.
And I also hoped Nicole would be able to compete.

SkatingIsLife

Nathalie will be champion again! 😉

A shame though that they did not postpone nationals so that at least there would have been an ice dance competition.
And I also hoped Nicole would be able to compete.
It is totally not to unedrstand why this federation is going on with this Nationals. 1 Ice Dance team, no senior Pairs, just why not doing it in January or February?

sandra_persch

I dont mind them having the competition to give skaters a chance to compete and if they do well count it towards achieving the scored to get added to the National Team for next season.
I dont like the idea of handing out the title National Champion if there is no real competition and the defending champions are not present.

Lets hope they dont have to call off the whole season and maybe they could add Seniors to the DEU Pokal in March.
At the moment I assume they will have to cancel Junior and Novice Nationals.

D

Deleted member 1204

I wonder what it costs to rent a venue to hold an event with so few athletes entered? It doesn't seem like a good use of money. They won't make any money from ticket sales either.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Schott scored 156 at Nebelhorn, I think if one of the ladies competing at Nationals can get a higher score, I'd send the Nationals winner to theoretical Worlds. I assume the man would still be Fentz, the guys at Nationals aren't close. Hocke/Kunkel and Hase/Seegert in Pairs, and Muller/Dieck in dance (scored 185 at NRW and beat JVR/Steffan by 16 points at Egna).

J

Jeschke

Schott scored 156 at Nebelhorn, I think if one of the ladies competing at Nationals can get a higher score, I'd send the Nationals winner to theoretical Worlds.
Of course I am biased here, but just some facts:
  • none of the ladies competing have minimums for worlds
  • Schott/Isaev are the only ones with minimums so far and are the only members of special olympic elite team
  • comparing inflated nationals score to international score (even on home soil) does not work
  • potential worlds is a potential qualifier for olympics

In that regard german fed would be kinda stupid imho not sending Schott. She has by far the best standing/reputation amongst the ladies. By a mile.
She did not make a case for herself this season but the others ****ed up much more.
No way Weinzierl (with minimums) should get the ticket imho unless she skates splendid all events from now on. She is not the future of german skating and the direction should be striving forwards not backwards.

M/D and JvR/S are even imho. Skate-off seems the only fair thing here to me.
German callers and majority of german judges on panel for M/D at NRW cannot be compared to JvR/S's score in Budapest.
M/D's CS HUN score is 20pts less than their NRW Autumn Trophy score and 8pts lower than JvR/S's Santa Claus Cup score.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Thing is, Schott placed 16th and 13th at last 2 Euros, and Nargiz has or at least had a consistent 3z-3t and other jumps, which would seem to possibly allow for top 10 finish (if Euros were happening). Also she scored 162 at Westfalen Cup this season, so at the very least she is close to Schott's level if not higher. If Nargiz doesn't win this, I am thinking she's really out of form and its going to be a low scoring event, in which case Schott would be the one again. I don't have a ton of hope for Nathalie or Aya but I guess we will see soon...

Also, Schott's 95 pt FS at Nebelhorn doesn't inspire much confidence. Nargiz was scoring that in Junior events last season. But it is a bit worrisome that Nargiz WD from everything else this season.

And M/D scoring 16 points above JVR/S at that comp is a game over for me, but I don't really know dance anyway......but sure we can do a skateoff, if everyone is willing to leave the house for it.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Thing is, Schott placed 16th and 13th at last 2 Euros, and Nargiz has or at least had a consistent 3z-3t and other jumps, which would seem to possibly allow for top 10 finish. If Nargiz doesn't win this, I am thinking she's really out of form and its going to be a low scoring event, in which case Schott would be the one again. I don't have a ton of hope for Nathalie or Aya but I guess we will see soon...
Nargiz PB of 146pts would have put her on 22nd place at last Euros.
The jumps are mostly < borderline and won't get great GOE on a high level event. Not to speak of PCS (even more with her early
starting number).

Just for the record: I am no fan of almost no tech improvement by Schott since jgp-years and wished the youngsters could push her more and make a case for themselves. But for now, let's face it, even a 3t2t, 3lo, 2a Schott is still a different level than the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information