FSU Watch Party Sunday #1: 1991 Worlds part 2 [12pm CDT/6pm CET]

VGThuy

K/P’s program imo had so much more content than the other two medalists and that in of itself should have given them the win here.

aliceanne

Dean adapted the Missing programs from a dance production number, right down to the costumes. It would have been ok if he had acknowledged the choreographer, but he let everyone think it was his original idea.

Skate Talker

Dance holds in the FD were sort of dying thanks to the likes of the Duchesnays as more stage dancing styles were being used as opposed to ballroom. That’s why the ISU forced ice dance to go old school and boring after 1992z
Thanks. I was watching skating back then but ice dance was not something I understood much about - I just thought these types of programs were "cool" and so much more fun to watch the ones with stale old-style dancing or the ones with all the Russian angst and pulling of faces. Now thanks to the IJS I at least have a rudimentary understanding of relative difficulty and think most of these old programs belong in an ice show, not a competition, lol. Getting old I guess.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
There are some IJS free dances that are really entertaining but still meet the technical requirements. Zhiganshina and Gazsi's zombie program comes to mind.

Half of these programs were so good! The other half were still mostly interesting.

S

SmallFairy

I fell in love with skating and started to watch it after seeing K/P's FD in Albertville.
I am stunned some of the moves from that masterpiece was already used in this program :eek:

I am not sure what to say. I love they're going modern, but couldn't they find some more avantgarde music than Lawrence of Arabia? Again, I prefer the flow and smoothness of U/Z, and of several dancers after them.

Sonata

Why are so many teams sliding on the ice as their ending pose? Thought it was discouraged after Witt “died” on the ice in 1988.

Sonata

I'm rather surprised the Canadian commentators aren't more pro-Duchesnay here, based on their other commentary.

I am too. I feel like Duchesnays were just “due” a world championships. I don’t know why they chose to skate to American broadway at the Olympics in France.

VGThuy

I'm rather surprised the Canadian commentators aren't more pro-Duchesnay here, based on their other commentary.

I think it’s because K/P were just much better skaters. At the time, it seems commentators who were actual skaters were politely pointing that out and defending K/P’s wins over D/D even though the latter were fan favorites. It’s hard to deny. IMO, this was a transitional program since before this, they were known for classical, lighthearted dances taking advantage of their quick feet, intricacy, and their romantic relationship. So they were trying to do something more high art.

IMO, Sergei Ponomarenko will always be my first choice in ice dance partner. IMO, he was absolutely amazing and the top.

S

SmallFairy

Yes, what's with the rules? Everyone laying on the ice? Rolling around on the ice? Woman wearing pants?
I'm only in control of the fact that men were allowed to wear tights. :respec:

Skate Talker

It’s hard to deny. IMO, this was a transitional program since before this, they were known for classical, lighthearted dances taking advantage of their quick feet, intricacy, and their romantic relationship.
I still cringe thinking of their horrific Beatles medley costumes at the 88 Olympics in Calgary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information