FSU Watch (and judge!) party: 98 Worlds ladies SP - SAT, MAY 30th @ 12pm CDT / 7pm CET

kwanatic

Good list @Jeschke! My vote is for 2019 worlds FS for the women. I think I originally said 2018 worlds but I mean 2019...there was some questionable scoring in that event and I'd like to see what a different panel would come up with.

Should we start a poll for the next event?

barbk

Thanks for all these comments. I really enjoyed reading them -- and trying to think back to being in Minneapolis for that event. My memories include being thrilled for Kwan that she skated well, impressed as heck with Rechnio, and wondering why Canadian ladies skaters were so bad compared to the Canadian men. '98 still had qualifying rounds, and there were a handful of skaters that never even made it to the SP. They were really, really bad.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I would wait a day or two for other suggestions or to check for other events available.
Then we could go for a poll like last time?

I was wondering, this time, would it make more sense to have judges score the event on their own time, and then do a watch party like a week after, where FSU's scores could be revealed skater by skater?

Thanks for organizing this part. :)

I'll have the second panel's results once I hear from ANL. 😂

mjb52

I was wondering, this time, would it make more sense to have judges score the event on their own time, and then do a watch party like a week after, where FSU's scores could be revealed skater by skater?

Thanks for organizing this part. :)

I'll have the second panel's results once I hear from ANL. 😂

You might have to freshen ANL's drink first...

Marco

I just realized that 6 more skaters skated and didn't make the free skate. We didn't judge them. I wonder if our panels would have changed the fate of some of these skaters :p

As for the next project, happy for anything. Dare we do 2006 Olympic ladies? Or 2010 men?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You might have to freshen ANL's drink first...

SORRY GUYS!!!!!

I sent @alchemy void my scores about 2-3 hours ago....... (and then I forgot to keep checking this thread...ooopssiiieee)

I had questions yesterday..... and yes the drink DEFINITELY needed to be refreshed..... I wanted to make sure that I needed to separate scores such as 5.1/5.3 and say 4.9/5.5, both totaling 10.4. I also has some skaters that had same score like 5.3/5.6

I made sure no ties, used a tie breaker and each gal had their own ordinal. (Its the Virgo in me, what can I say?)

And I will say this.... Kwiatkowski for me came in the top 6! (This was a case where I had a tie, her and Slutskaya). ANL calls it like he sees it!

1. Kwan, 2. Hubert, 3. Malinina, 4. Rechnio, 5. Liashenko, 6. Kwiatkoski, 7. Slutskaya

And when it came to Ruh I wasnt a stingy ole judge either. I think I also had Tanja a bit higher than othes.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I just realized that 6 more skaters skated and didn't make the free skate. We didn't judge them. I wonder if our panels would have changed the fate of some of these skaters :p

As for the next project, happy for anything. Dare we do 2006 Olympic ladies? Or 2010 men?

I don’t think you’ll ever know- I believe 5 of the 6 have never had their programs uploaded online although I think everyone was shown on Eurosport. We did get Yankun Du in the USA, and trust me- she wouldn’t have been a factor for 24th place ;)

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Back to the 90s for a moment...

I combined all 15 judges into one definitive judging panel because (a) we had 6 judges for the secondary panel--I can't count; and (b) it's 2:30am and I couldn't sleep. I think I have one additional judge for the secondary panel, and I can post those results when done--they're significantly more volatile and kind of fun.

Thank you to our fabulous judges! :cheer:
Judge 1 UZB @alchemy void
Judge 2 SVK @Tony Wheeler, special thanks for proofreading my multitude of mistakes. Have fun with this one :p
Judge 3 GER @Jeschke
Judge 4 BLR @Ninel' Pinskaya
Judge 5 ITA @Louis
Judge 6 CAN @Erin
Judge 7 FRA @casken
Judge 8 HGK @Marco #redemptionforCarter
Judge 9 JPN @skateboy
Judge 10: @Plusdinfo UAE
Judge 11: @alj5 USA
Judge 12: @allezfred IRL
Judge 13: @Clay SLO
Judge 14: @ldec NED
Judge 15: @AngieNikodinovLove ANL

1 Michelle KWAN USA 0.5
2 Anna RECHNIO POL 1.0
3 Laetitia HUBERT FRA 1.5
4 Elena LIASHENKO UKR 2.0
5 Tatiana MALININA UZB 2.5
6 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 3.0
7 Vanessa GUSMEROLI FRA 3.5
8 Tonia KWIATKOWSKI USA 4.0
9 Maria BUTYRSKAYA RUS 4.5
10 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 5.0
11 Yulia VOROBIEVA AZE 5.5
12 Tanja SZEWCZENKO GER 6.0
13 Yulia LAVRENCHUK UKR 6.5
14 Zuzana PAUROVA SVK 7.0
15 Lenka KULOVANA CZE 7.5
16 Marie Pierre LERAY FRA 8.0
17 Joanne CARTER AUS 8.5
18 Diana POTH HUN 9.0
19 Silvia FONTANA ITA 9.5
20 Lucinda RUH SUI 10.0
21 Angela DEROCHIE CAN 10.5
22 Mojca KOPAC SLO 11.0
23 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 11.5
24 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 12.0

• Carter, Poth, and Fontana were all extrmely close, not only in ordinals (Poth and Fontana nearly tied), but all three skaters' average ordinals are all within 0.20.
  • Butyrskaya placed 9th without receiving one 9th place ordinal. Same with Paurova and Poth. I know that wasn't exceedingly rare, but with 15 judges on the panel, I was amused.

....and now I never want to deal with 6.0 again. :rofl:

fsu3.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

I agree, that after having just judged ladies, we should focus on another discipline for IJS.

More full events available:

Worlds 2018, Men SP & FS
Worlds 2018, Pairs SP & FS
Grand Prix Final 2017, Men SP & FS (with 6 skaters we could easily judge the entire event)
Grand Prix Final 2017, Pairs SP & FS
Grand Prix Final 2017, Ice Dance, RD & FD
Grand Prix Final 2016, Men SP & FS
Olympis 2010, Pairs, FS (SP too, but we already had a watchparty to this)

I might start a poll end of the week!
If any more suggestions, just post it in here.

kwanatic

If we're not going to judge a ladies event then I vote for one of the men's events...only so I can participate :lol:.

I know the ins and outs of singles skating but I only just started following ice dance and pairs. Prior to last season I'd glance at pairs occasionally and maybe watch the top 2 or 3 in ice dance, but this past season I really fell in love with both disciplines:love:, especially ice dance. Problem is I don't know enough about how the elements are judged so I know I'd suck at being a judge for either event.

gkelly

In a 6.0 event, especially 1998 or earlier, ice dance would not be so much about "elements" as about all the skating throughout the program. Especially in free dances. ODs did have some elements such as step sequences that skaters needed to accomplish -- moreso starting in 1999, when there were also some minimal requirements introduced in the freeskate.

Free dance rules tended to be more about what wasn't allowed than what was required.

In IJS, on the other hand, elements rule the day.

J

Jeschke

Leaving the original LP judging alone, did anyone work out how our SP ranking would have affected the final results?
I did it quickly, so hope not too many mistakes.

Our SP Score + Original FS Score:

1. Kwan 1.5 (-) -
2. Slutskaya 5.0 (+1.0) -
3. Hubert 5.5 (-) +1
4. Rechnio 6.0 (-) -
5. Butyrskaya 7.5 (+2.0) -2
6. Liashenko 9.0 (-1.0) +1
7. Kwiatkowski 10.0 (-) -1
8. Sokolova 13.0 (+1.5) -
9. Szewczenko 16.0 (+1.0) -
10. Vorobieva 16.5 (-) +1
11. Poth 18.0 (+1.5) -1
12. Lavrenchuk 19.5 (+0.5) -
13. Carter 20.5 (+0.5) -
14. Malinina 20.5 (+1.0) -
15. Kulovana 21.5 (-1.0) -
16. Gusmeroli 22.5 (+1.0) -
17. Leray 24.0 (+1.0) -
18. Fontana 24.5 (+1.0) -
19. Sebestyen 28.5 (+1.5) -
20. Paurova 30.0 (-) +1
21. Derochie 30.5 (+1.0) -1
22. Ruh 32.0 (-2.0) +1
23. Arakawa 33.0 (+1.0) -1
24. Kopac 35.0 (+0.5) -

Not surpisingly, Butyrskaya would have lost her medal and Hubert would have walked away with bronze.

Erin

Banned Member
Re complete IJS competitions on YouTube. I currently have complete events for 2008-2013 Worlds, 2008-2013 4CC, and 2007-2012 Skate Canada on DVD and could upload any of them on to YouTube if there was interest in any of those events. I’m currently uploading all the Skate Canadas (at 2004) but could reprioritize if there was a request for a watch party/judging event. I’m not spending a ton of time on FSU these days, but @alchemy void knows how to reach me if there are any special requests.

J

Jeschke

Ice Dance FD 2009 could be an interesting one:watch:
Thanks so much Erin; if anyone recalls any special event from these days, let me know.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I combined all 15 judges into one definitive judging panel because (a) we had 6 judges for the secondary panel--I can't count; and (b) it's 2:30am and I couldn't sleep. I think I have one additional judge for the secondary panel, and I can post those results when done--they're significantly more volatile and kind of fun.

Judge 2 SVK @Tony Wheeler, special thanks for proofreading my multitude of mistakes. Have fun with this one :p
Judge 3 GER @Jeschke
Judge 5 ITA @Louis
Judge 6 CAN @Erin
Judge 7 FRA @casken
Judge 9 JPN @skateboy

1 Michelle KWAN USA 0.5
2 Anna RECHNIO POL 1.0
17 Joanne CARTER AUS 8.5
18 Diana POTH HUN 9.0
20 Lucinda RUH SUI 10.0
22 Mojca KOPAC SLO 11.0

• Carter, Poth, and Fontana were all extrmely close, not only in ordinals (Poth and Fontana nearly tied), but all three skaters' average ordinals are all within 0.20.
  • Butyrskaya placed 9th without receiving one 9th place ordinal. Same with Paurova and Poth. I know that wasn't exceedingly rare, but with 15 judges on the panel, I was amused.

fsu3.jpg

Whoaaaaa really great job and nice work put into all of this.

And I don’t mind saying I would like to do this again and I don’t mind doing it 6.0 system. Just saying

Thanks to everyone who put this together.

Shout out to Tonia and Lucinda: ANL has your backs!!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Judge 3 GER @Jeschke
Judge 5 ITA @Louis
Judge 6 CAN @Erin
Judge 7 FRA @casken
Judge 9 JPN @skateboy

1 Michelle KWAN USA 0.5
2 Anna RECHNIO POL 1.0
17 Joanne CARTER AUS 8.5
18 Diana POTH HUN 9.0
20 Lucinda RUH SUI 10.0
22 Mojca KOPAC SLO 11.0

fsu3.jpg

It’s sooooo much fun looking to see what all the judges scored

Who is the judge from Italy putting Tatiana in 15th Pl. You’ll hear from my attorneys. Up until Hubert went I had her in second place!

The judge from UAE, you are a rockstar! (Although moments later I just saw your ordinal for Tanja.......) lolz

This was totes fun!!!!! Let’s do it again please!!!!!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Where is everybody today?

Can we judge the December 2019 GPF SP for ladies?

I have a respectable (Im talking first place) score to give Bradie. And very well earned!!!! :biggrinbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information