From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

livetoskate

ick. I've been in close proximity to him and didn't feel the love (thankfully). He does have a thing where he stares intently at pretty much every woman in a rink and makes eye contact which is weird but for a lot of people that sort of thing works (pick up artists are trained to use this technique too) :scream:
Yup. He did that to my pretty friend when we were there for an adult skating camp. That was also where we saw him giving Miki Ando a neck-shoulder massage in the lobby & she looked sort of embarrassed.

Bigbird

Yup. He did that to my pretty friend when we were there for an adult skating camp. That was also where we saw him giving Miki Ando a neck-shoulder massage in the lobby & she looked sort of embarrassed.
Please oh please, we neeeeed to stop talking about NM beginning to feel dirty.

Areski

Once again if something is banned it’s banned and that kind of meds in a young girl is danger.

But I do see the difference between taking something that helps with muscle relief and taking something to make you jump higher.

However it is banned so it’s wrong to take it

Did Valiyeva even take it willingly though? She's still only 15. But it rather does not make a practical difference here. I feel for her if it was not her conscious decision.

barbarafan

If I was a honest coach and my skater was in this terrible situation, I would want to go on the offensive, make a statement, and get ahead of the situation. Unfortunately, I think this coach is more concerned with her looks and her personal success than the welfare of her teenage skaters.
Does that mean Eteri has to turn her back on her 15yr old student when she approaches her. We know what her answer will be when she is asked if she was aware her student was doping.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Guaranteed there will now be testing done on the rest of the Russian athletes, especially Eteri's students. If Kamila tested positive, I wouldn't be surprised if the team doctor tried to provide the substance to Anna, Sasha, Morisi, etc. I sincerely hope they are 100% negative, though.

Heartbroken for Kamila. Even though she's the one who tested positive, IMO she's a victim in this, as she's just a teenager who was
following the guidance of the trusted adults in her life.

Areski

I've had migraines since I hit puberty, so a 15 year old could perfectly well need migraine medication.
Though Tiff has had a few migraines she would never take the migraine medication for fear of the doping consequences.
Most athletes are scared to take anything for fear it will get them banned.

I've had migraines since I was ... 8 years old. Fortunately it has never been really bad (I knew a girl who was taken to hospital because of it which shocked me) and I have migraines infrequently so i only take drugs when I have to for it.

Cachoo

I’m trying to understand the process: Tests go to the lab for processing in Sweden. Oops wrong thread!

Rina RUS

It is Tatiana Tarasova’s birthday today :) She is 75
Totmyanina says they are going to have a show dedicated to Tarasova’s anniversary on March 11 and March 12 (by Averbukh)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ6J8nao_fT/

A video with Tatiana Tarasova and her birthday cake

DreamSkates

We're reminded of a USA Today survey published over 30 years ago which included the question, that if you could take a magic pill to win Olympic Gold, but would die 10 years after the fact, would you still risk it?

We were amazed by the number of people quizzed who said they would.
People often say what sounds good to them at the moment (Olympic gold) but might choose differently when faced with the actual consequence of - death.
Fantasy vs reality. Not a question that can be asked and a statistic touted as a result.

concorde

And children are also not old enough to make this choice
Or understand the consequences of those decisions that in many cases were made for them.

I remember watching a documentary about the East German woman swimmers. Most had no idea what the "vitamins" really contained. Only years later did they fully understand the ramifications were that many got cancer or were unable to have children. They wound up paying a horrific price for what was decided for them.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Or understand the consequences of those decisions that in many cases were made for them.

I remember watching a documentary about the East German woman swimmers. Most had no idea what the "vitamins" really contained. Only years later did they fully understand the ramifications were that many got cancer or were unable to have children. They wound up paying a horrific price for what was decided for them.

For Andreas Krieger (formerly Heidi Krieger) the consequences were life changing
East German sports doping victim speaks out after sex change/

Amantide

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Kondratiuk is still in Beijing practicing and he has an IG video up of him trying a quintuple Salchow. It's still over a half-rotation short (and really closer to only 4.25 rotations), but wow. I think he's just messing around and AFAIK wasn't seriously learning anything like that before.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Kondratiuk is still in Beijing practicing and he has an IG video up of him trying a quintuple Salchow. It's still over a half-rotation short (and really closer to only 4.25 rotations), but wow. I think he's just messing around and AFAIK wasn't seriously learning anything like that before.
He also "remembered" his quad lutz with both arms over his head and posted another story of a triple axel-quad sal-combo.
Dude's having the time of his life.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
He posted on his IG later in the day yesterday a comment about heading home, so I'm not sure he will be staying through the closing ceremony.

angi

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
As we expected, Russia will hand out their own medals and will hold their own medal ceremonies, and the only skaters who will truly suffer consequences are those who aren't even Russian. Shameful.
I think Russia/ROC is playing with fire here, if they're pulling this sort of stunt. I wonder just how pissed the IOC will be with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information