From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There are only 3 medals given out at Worlds, so even if half of them switched countries and all got to go, they wouldn't all be getting medals. Sport has never been fair...that's life. I can think of a lot of things sadder than the plight of these poor talented figure skaters. If they're still able to skate at a competitive level. that's more than a lot of their peers can say.
Exactly. Getting to go to worlds doesn't equate to medals at worlds. Even if Russia's top 6 skaters were all there, only 3 of them could medal. That's the benefit and curse of a deep field. It's also the driving force in the evolution of skating in Russia. They are all looking for that competitive edge that will put them on top. And there is no way to know who will be at the top by the Olympics. I simply take things one season at a time. Past results don't matter. Future skills don't matter. It's what can you do at this competition today.

synchrogirl17

I’m fairly certain that @Vash01 knows there are only 3 medals at worlds, not 6 ;) I personally read that comment as saying that all 6 individually have the potential to medal at Worlds, but 3 of them won’t make the team. It is a rare situation!

Finsta

At the Finlandia event, after the Medal Ceremony, Aleona was gliding along side of the rink boards, signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. An older man came up to the boards and got in line to get an autograph and to take photos.

When his turn came, and Aleona signed his autograph and stood next to him to take "selfie", he started to hug her too strongly and pull towards himself, using his hands to to pull her very close to his face and body. trying to do "chick to chick" and kiss er. Aleona pulled away. Then came back and stood a bit at a distance to let him still take a photo (she felt under obligation to be nice to fans at an official function). Later someone posted that "some old man is tweeting/IG-ing photos of him kissing Aleona's picture and calling her his wife".

There were some attempts to make this story "dirty against Aleona", but that got put down quickly.
No person should ever try to make this against Alena. She is young girl. Any person blaming this girl needs. Head examined. She is just doing her job and what she loves and is good at. I am sure her team is knowing and adding some extra security not for just her but all the girls.

muffinplus

Why does Tuktamysheva not jump a 3 lutz-3 toe in her short? She is going back to 3 tie 3 toe for Skate Anerica

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Why does Tuktamysheva not jump a 3 lutz-3 toe in her short? She is going back to 3 tie 3 toe for Skate Anerica

She has a great 3Lz but probably she never practiced the 3Lz3t combination, so her GOE may not be high on that. Perhaps it is safer for her to do the 3t3t and get high GOE on that and on the solo 3Lz. Besides, if she does the 3Lzt as the combo, what would her solo jump be? 3f or 3R? She has had problems with the 3f recently, and I don't know how strong her 3R is.

muffinplus

She has a great 3Lz but probably she never practiced the 3Lz3t combination, so her GOE may not be high on that. Perhaps it is safer for her to do the 3t3t and get high GOE on that and on the solo 3Lz. Besides, if she does the 3Lzt as the combo, what would her solo jump be? 3f or 3R? She has had problems with the 3f recently, and I don't know how strong her 3R is.

I can't believe that she has never practiced 3z3t? She has landed 3z3t before at WTT recently? I don't understand why someone who is strong with jumps has trouble with 3-3s other than the toe-toe combo?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Congratulations to Anna. I think she's the weakest of the Trio, but that just shows how strong they are. It's really boring to read all the whining predictions of how they'll fail at some undetermined time in the future. Today she :kickass: and that's what matters now. I feel for Tuk, but if she wants to make the Euro/World teams, she's going to have to up her game. The fact is having the 3A isn't enough any longer.

starrynight

At least the situation in Russia is that there is good enough funding for skaters to hold on and stay competing even if there is a deep field.

I think that if the skaters have the goods to be stayers, they can outlast. After all, Tuktamysheva has seen off many other skaters in her career.

I think it's just fortunate for skating that this is all happening several years out from the Olympics. If any of the '3A' are going to be competitive for an Olympic medal, then they will have certainly accumulated enough of a resume over the next few seasons and seen enough water go under the bridge to make them very worthy of the title.

I think we've seen so many Russian juniors come straight in winning into seniors that the key to determining which is the superior talent depends on eventual longevity.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I'd argue there is no superior talent. Any of the top 5 might win on any given day. And there may be a whole new group competiting for the Olympics spots. Odds are good one or more of those spots could go to a15 year old.

Yeah, to me it seems like a giant free-for-all where 20 talented girls all take a shot and pile up very closely. It’s fun but also terrifying.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Truth be told, Anna needs those quads. If she makes it to worlds She could be so far down in the short program against the more mature skaters. Those quads save her
She was in 4th here at Skate America after the short. Theoretically, let's assume the other two Russian ladies at Worlds place ahead of her in the SP, along with at least 2 of the 3 Japanese ladies, 1 Korean lady, and at least one of the US ladies, as well as Tursy. That would place her 8th, and out of the final flight for the free, possibly 11th if the 3rd Japanese lady, the other Korean lady, and 2nd US lady are ahead of her also, plus it's not even taking into consideration some of the inconsistent yet beautiful ladies (like Paganini, Lindfors, and Daleman) who could easily skate a blinder in the SP and place ahead of her and push her out of the penultimate flight. Nothing but those quads are going to pull her up over those ladies. The same can probably be said for Trusova though.

Finsta

I agree absolutely. If the quads fail Anna and Trusova then they are off podium big time. Eteri should be focusing on improvements in other areas to make their basics and skating skills better. Ignoring this won’t do these girls any favors. I feel Anna is weakest link so far

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Relying on jumps to pull you out isn't a good strategy in the long term. Tukt is the best example of that.

but look how far Tuk has stayed competitive in her career. Her struggles were mostly physical (longer post puberty changes and weight fluctuations - she was heavy from 2015 to 2018) and mental inconsistency

hanca

Values her privacy
Truth be told, Anna needs those quads. If she makes it to worlds She could be so far down in the short program against the more mature skaters. Those quads save her
Maybe after SP she will be far down. But that doesn’t change anything on the fact that in her FS she is doing the hardest jump that has ever been landed. If she lands it twice, it gives her such an advantage in the base value of FS that she will easily catch up any advantage someone else might have after SP.

hanca

Values her privacy
Relying on jumps to pull you out isn't a good strategy in the long term. Tukt is the best example of that.
The difference between Scherbakova and Tuktamysheva is that Scherbakova manages to do the same content as other skaters PLUS two quad Lutzes. Tuktamysheva seemed to think that if other skaters are allowed to do seven triples, she will also do seven triples (even though with triple axel she could do eight triples, but she never does that). So her advantage is only minimal. Sure, she has triple axel, but if she does the same number of triples as the others do, the advantage is only tiny and someone else may catch up with GOE or PCS.

soogar

The difference between Scherbakova and Tuktamysheva is that Scherbakova manages to do the same content as other skaters PLUS two quad Lutzes. Tuktamysheva seemed to think that if other skaters are allowed to do seven triples, she will also do seven triples (even though with triple axel she could do eight triples, but she never does that). So her advantage is only minimal. Sure, she has triple axel, but if she does the same number of triples as the others do, the advantage is only tiny and someone else may catch up with GOE or PCS.

The difference between Scherbakova and Tukt is about 9 years and a triple axel. I hope Tukt hangs in there because those kids are going to go through the same growing pains she did and that timing could fall right around the Olympics. I really like the consistency and improvement that Tukt is showing at her age and she has a lot of non-quad areas that she can work on to get more points.

hanca

Values her privacy
The difference between Scherbakova and Tukt is about 9 years and a triple axel. I hope Tukt hangs in there because those kids are going to go through the same growing pains she did and that timing could fall right around the Olympics. I really like the consistency and improvement that Tukt is showing at her age and she has a lot of non-quad areas that she can work on to get more points.
While triple axel is great, quad lutz will beat triple axel because there is a huge difference in base value. If both are landed clean, quad lutz will always come on top.

NAOTMAA

I just think it's amazing that a skater can land 2 clean 3As, have no edge calls and have only 1 downgrade yet still cannot break 140 in the FS :eek:

It just goes to show you how little else Liza has to offer in the eyes of the judges beyond the jumps. She has made some improvement in the other areas but watching last night it's clear she's still so far behind the other top ladies in everything else. So why they are still fiddling with the jump layout and not solely concentrating on everything else is a mystery to me

Finsta

Maybe after SP she will be far down. But that doesn’t change anything on the fact that in her FS she is doing the hardest jump that has ever been landed. If she lands it twice, it gives her such an advantage in the base value of FS that she will easily catch up any advantage someone else might have after SP.
Which is why she needs the quads. If she falls or fails to land them, she’s in big trouble

Perky Shae Lynn

I cannot imagine how the Russians decide who goes to the Worlds. Zagitova is a safe bet, but the remaining two spots....

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I can't believe that she has never practiced 3z3t? She has landed 3z3t before at WTT recently? I don't understand why someone who is strong with jumps has trouble with 3-3s other than the toe-toe combo?
IIRC she always did 3t3t and had a post on a social media she finally figured the 3f3t. I don't remember her ever landing a 3lz3t (Sotnikova landed it for pretty much the first time ever in Sochi and it was Sotnikova Tuktamysheva was competing with...).

muffinplus

IIRC she always did 3t3t and had a post on a social media she finally figured the 3f3t. I don't remember her ever landing a 3lz3t (Sotnikova landed it for pretty much the first time ever in Sochi and it was Sotnikova Tuktamysheva was competing with...).

In WTT 2019, I think she landed it, I may be wrong? I"m just confused, because if she is such a strong jumper, why is this combo a problem for her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information