From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Shockingly this was my first time watching Samodurova :eek: I know I'm a bad skating fan. Loved her!! Sass, musicality, charisma, consistent jumps, good spins. Great overall package. Plus she looks just like Hana Maskova from the 1960's. Very exotic looking with killer cheekbones. :glamor:

Alina :fragile: Watching those practice clips and her performance today and seeing the ridiculous reactions of her coaches is really starting to piss me off. Everyone knows she's struggling with body changes and no amount of berating as if she's the laziest girl out there, or huffing and puffing and rolling eyes at every mistake muttering to the heavens from Eteri and Daniil at the barrier is going to do a damn thing to help this girl. Such a stupid approach! Of course she wants to skate clean and keep winning but her body and mind won't let her. And the more they continue with this approach the more mental knots she will tie herself into. Soooooooo who will Alina go to next? Because I'll bet she won't be with Eteri next season :shuffle:

World team - surely only Samodurova is a lock?
Tuk is back on the ice and landing her 3A just fine. She's in. IMHO, the fed will stick with Zag since she's been the most successful (until today) of all the eligible seniors, but the RusFed is ruthless. So who knows.

:rofl: Apparently some of you haven't seen Buianova and Kovtun in practice. Or some of the Japanese coaches.

Lizziebeth

I do feel for Zagitova and the way her coaches were communicating with her looked terrible. Poor girl is going to have to work through the body changes and I hope someone is around to support her.

My beef with her being overscored is that it affects the scores/placements of other skaters. Propping someone up when they have a bad day is not good judging.

Perky Shae Lynn

:rofl: Apparently some of you haven't seen Buianova and Kovtun in practice. Or some of the Japanese coaches.
Buianova has a different dynamic with Kovtun. He's her naughty frustrating kid. I've seen them at practices. She'll scream at him, get angry, but than probably take him home for some borscht. I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from Eteri's relationship with Alina.

As far the words, I hope Zagitova comes down with an unspecified injury and sits it out. She is really struggling and needs to take a break. And find some support, because it ain't coming from her current team.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Buianova has a different dynamic with Kovtun. He's her naughty frustrating kid. I've seen them at practices. She'll scream at him, get angry, but than probably take him home for some borscht. I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from Eteri's relationship with Alina.

As far the words, I hope Zagitova comes down with an unspecified injury and sits it out. She is really struggling and needs to take a break. And find some support, because it ain't coming from her current team.
Maybe, but I'd say his reaction isn't to warm fuzziness :lol:

Finsta

Why keep blaming TAt for Alina’s issues? Look at how coaches talk to her at runtrough. But to say Alina isn’t accepted Is stretching the truth. She was recently voted Russia’s #1 athlete. The press are in her favor. She had many endorsements. She could train with any coach she picks. She chooses Eteri. She not a tormented child. She has Danil and Eteri taking her on train rides before nationals. How you say she’s not accepted? 😳.

Coquelicot14

Why keep blaming TAt for Alina’s issues? Look at how coaches talk to her at runtrough. But to say Alina isn’t accepted Is stretching the truth. She was recently voted Russia’s #1 athlete. The press are in her favor. She had many endorsements. She could train with any coach she picks. She chooses Eteri. She not a tormented child. She has Danil and Eteri taking her on train rides before nationals. How you say she’s not accepted? 😳.
There are plenty of examples of cool fun things the coaches do for Alina. The press however is most certainly not in Alina's favor overall, and TAT is particularly responsible. She, along with her minions, have been making snide remarks that make headlines and heat up the tensions between the fans.

hanca

Values her privacy
Kidding aside, I don't like how Zagitova looks. I normally don't comment on skater's appearance, but she looks gaunt and stressed. She is a little girl, and needs to be cared for by adults in her life. I wish she could take some time for herself, and get her spunky effervescent spirit back. The pressure is crushing her, and she's can't help growing taller. I worry about her.
Of course she is stressed. You would be too, if you had the scary trio standing at the barrier, telling you off for every tiny mistake. Plus she is probably aware that her time at Tutberidze is running out; she is not stupid and she has seen quite a few skaters being good, then start struggling and being (gently) forced to leave. Change of coach is stressful and even though it sometimes works, it didn’t work that well for quite a few skaters recently (Gubanova, Tsurskaya)

Coquelicot14

Of course she is stressed. You would be too, if you had the scary trio standing at the barrier, telling you off for every tiny mistake.

There is such a concept as "sportsmen's anger". The idea is some people perform better angry, since they become fearless. It works quite well, and has been practiced by both Plushenko and Yagudin, among others. It could be the state they tried to get her to achieve. Believe me, not everyone wilts when being scolded, it can and often does have an opposite effect. For example, I can speak some foreign languages without accent, if someone pisses me off enough.

Also, she doesn't seem too sad here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtEw2yXB6K1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nx1d57zv8yu3

I'm looking forward to seeing Sofia, Alina and Liza on the World team!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

There are plenty of examples of cool fun things the coaches do for Alina. The press however is most certainly not in Alina's favor overall, and TAT is particularly responsible. She, along with her minions, have been making snide remarks that make headlines and heat up the tensions between the fans.
The fact that TAT, Trankova and several others, after the Olympics, publicly announced "they wanted Med to win, sorry Alina, nobody was cheering for you" did not help at all, nor the media, nor few other people's actions.

However, there is not need to feel sorry for Zag or find excuses. She did mess up 4 jumps in this FS, which she did just fine in practice. Nobody can help her with nerves, but she herself. I don't see a very big tragedy, all season long she is either in 1st or 2nd place (Russian nationals she was 2nd among seniors). She is one of the few ladies to skate the next season after Olympic gold, and she is staying in 1st and 2nd places.

Understandable, she is only 16, but if one starts "playing in the game" for top medals and placements, one should learn to handle the media and fan pressure. If she and her agents are smart, she'll figure out how to use all of this to "cement herself".

(I am so happy Samodurova will be on the world team... for my own reasons).

Madison25

There is such a concept as "sportsmen's anger". The idea is some people perform better angry, since they become fearless. It works quite well, and has been practiced by both Plushenko and Yagudin, among others. It could be the state they tried to get her to achieve. Believe me, not everyone wilts when being scolded, it can and often does have an opposite effect. For example, I can speak some foreign languages without accent, if someone pisses me off enough.

Also, she doesn't seem too sad here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtEw2yXB6K1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nx1d57zv8yu3

I'm looking forward to seeing Sofia, Alina and Liza on the World team!
I dont think that Alina is the type who performs better when she is angry... when her coaches scold her, she isnt even angry, just sad and hurt.
Tutberidze should change her methods with her. It is clear that something doesnt work well there.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The fact that TAT, Trankova and several others, after the Olympics, publicly announced "they wanted Med to win, sorry Alina, nobody was cheering for you" did not help at all, nor the media, nor few other people's actions.

However, there is not need to feel sorry for Zag or find excuses. She did mess up 4 jumps in this FS, which she did just fine in practice. Nobody can help her with nerves, but she herself. I don't see a very big tragedy, all season long she is either in 1st or 2nd place (Russian nationals she was 2nd among seniors). She is one of the few ladies to skate the next season after Olympic gold, and she is staying in 1st and 2nd places.

Understandable, she is only 16, but if one starts "playing in the game" for top medals and placements, one should learn to handle the media and fan pressure. If she and her agents are smart, she'll figure out how to use all of this to "cement herself".

(I am so happy Samodurova will be on the world team... for my own reasons).
This is what I was saying about new US phenom. They don't have nerves at 13-14. They are still excited and it's all fun. But, when they get a little older, especially when they win big events, the reality slams them. They realize what's at stake and the nerves get them. They aren't little kids anymore. It happens to almost every skater. The exception are the real extroverts who love the crowds. She'll learn to control them or she won't. It won't matter who her coach might be.

NAOTMAA

Its strange because I thought Alina was holding on strong for the majority of the season. No she wasn't doing it as effortlessly as she was the previous season but she was fighting and appeared to be doing pretty okay. No the performances weren't that great but they weren't terrible either considering the growth spurt combined with the pressures of being Olympic champion. She seem to be pushing through it well. But then she lost the GPF to Rika where she seemed more shaky then before, looked even more shaky at the nationals Sp and seems to have deteriorated rapidly since.

Is all of this because she's freaked out after facing Rika, Anna, Alexandra and Alena and now can't get it out of her head or something? I hesitate to think that because of the similar meltdown at last years worlds but I still think that was mainly fatigue then anything else.

ChiquitaBanana

Sportsman’s anger... Fine when you are an adult. Not when you are still a kid and a teenager and you still don’t know who truly you are.

Finsta

From I’m hearing Alina does not know how to handle the pressure yet. She had none last year. Until heavily favored for world and she choked. This is what happens when skaters win. Medvedeva faced pressure at Olympics and like or hate her, Medvedeva was most mentally strong skater of Eteri so far. Zagitova just not mentally strong to overcome those nerves and pressure. Time will tell

barbarafan

Yeah, I think her coaches are causing her additional stress. I watched her run-thru from the video and still am wondering what the hell she did to cause Eteri to berate her in such a way. It pissed me off.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if she stayed. She has nowhere to go and overseas training is expensive.
No idea....but after watching how Eteri turned on Med after touting mother/daughter love relationship I am sure she is overly stressed about what comes next. She won't be blindsided like Med was....she has eyes wide open. I hope she can regroup for worlds.

Bonjour Sherry

I think Tutberidze's reaction at Zagitova's skate was overexaggerated here. I watched the performance and coach's reaction afterwards. Eteri may not have been all hugs and kisses, but she didn't berate Alina that much as some people were hinting at here.

From observing Russians and Euros, it's clear to me that Alina's main problem is nerves and not the growth spurt. Alina had grown a lot already at the end of last season. And despite that, she skated near perfectly at Nebelhorn. Then she had a decent Grand Prix season - not perfect, but good all things considered. It's only after Russians that nerves really seemed to get to her. I also agree that Medvedeva is a much stronger competitor (and seems poised to make noise again in a year or two). But with that said, the baggage that Alina carries after the Olympics is IMO more than what Evgenia had to deal with.

And with this Euros result, it's getting harder and harder to answer the question of who wins or podiums at Worlds..

DobrinFan

I think Tutberidze's reaction at Zagitova's skate was overexaggerated here. I watched the performance and coach's reaction afterwards. Eteri may not have been all hugs and kisses, but she didn't berate Alina that much as some people were hinting at here.

Probably because we are talking about her LP practice run-through that was posted yesterday. Or at least I was. I was sleeping quite peacefully during the Euros ladies LP #Notmyskaters so I have no comments on what went down today.

Tinami Amori

No idea....but after watching how Eteri turned on Med after touting mother/daughter love relationship I am sure she is overly stressed about what comes next. She won't be blindsided like Med was....she has eyes wide open. I hope she can regroup for worlds.
Check out how Rafik went off on Bell after her FS skate at US nationals, just as she got off the ice and in Kiss-n-cry... :D. Can you please get it into your head, we... "the former soviets" are NOT like you "westerners"..... we get pissed off when people don't do their job.. (because we, or some of us, do ours, rain or shine).. :lol:

Mad for Skating

I find Tuktamysheva, Our Dark Russian Empress, utterly entrancing. To me, she is the total package. :glamor: #ladylutz #tripleaxelempress

I call her Morticia Addams because she’s dark, gorgeous, and mysterious.

Tinami often seems to be posting from some remote Soviet outpost 3 or 4 decades ago, especially with her(?) constant disparagement of "The West," so it's understandable ;)

Conspiracy theory: she’s a Soviet agent who’s been trapped in the 1970s for the past 40 years, forced to watch her precious peace, bread, and land ideology fall from grace.

OMG. Poor Alina. Not a fan, but my heart totally broke for her. Going through what Med went through last year with growing a couple inches, and the season is a nightmare. How did Medhold things together last season with growing and having a serious injury?? Total respect for her, what a fighter. Hope Zagitova get over this, and gets a chance to grow as a skater. She is really beautiful and deserves a chance to develop. Run from Eteri girl, run!!!!

Agree with all of this. She had a feisty spunk last year that really caught my eye; I think right now she is just stressed because of Bellatrix Lestrange and Littlefinger Baelish watching her every move. She’s still a kid.

Yes, but will Alina bring her flowers? :saint:

Leave No Flowers: A Memoir, written by Evgenia Medvedeva, Foreword by Yulia Lipnitskaya

Madison25

I think Zagitova is next. Eteri will get rid off her during this off season. She just doesnt need weaker skaters (in her perspective) when she has the 3A. Also, I noticed that none of the coaches were with Zagitova at the victory ceremony. It is at least what I have seen from the fan-cam provided. The signals after the RusNationals were clear... they distanced themselves from Zagitova, even Gleikh who was always perceived closer to her. They prepare the departure.
Now the question is: will it be with flowers or without? :)):scream::D

hanca

Values her privacy
It seems that being Russian national champion is not very lucky title.
Kovtun, Russian champion, completely messed up at the Europeans and ended only 14th, whereas Samarin who placed the lowest at the nationals from those three Russian men competing at the Europeans placed best and got his silver medal.
Similarly, in ladies, the highest placed senior eligible Konstantinova messed up and placed the lowest at the Europeans, whereas the lowest placed Samodurova won the Europeans, despite placing only sixth at the Russian nationals.
Sinitsina and Katsalapov won the Russian nationals and completely bombed their SD at the Europeans. It is as if the highest ranking skaters from nationals really wanted avoid going to worlds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information