From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Edgecase

The blatant overscoring for Zagitova needs to stop, 70 PCS for that slop of a FS is ridiculous.

True that she was quite sloppy, and her habit of being bent at the waist while skating seems to get worse when she’s not performing well. It’s hard to watch honestly. Her transitions are still the best in the field though.

Perky Shae Lynn

OMG. Poor Alina. Not a fan, but my heart totally broke for her. Going through what Med went through last year with growing a couple inches, and the season is a nightmare. How did Medhold things together last season with growing and having a serious injury?? Total respect for her, what a fighter. Hope Zagitova get over this, and gets a chance to grow as a skater. She is really beautiful and deserves a chance to develop. Run from Eteri girl, run!!!!

hanca

Values her privacy
OMG. Poor Alina. Not a fan, but my heart totally broke for her. Going through what Med went through last year with growing a couple inches, and the season is a nightmare. How did Medhold things together last season with growing and having a serious injury?? Total respect for her, what a fighter. Hope Zagitova get over this, and gets a chance to grow as a skater. She is really beautiful and deserves a chance to develop. Run from Eteri girl, run!!!!
Zagitova probably won’t stay around too long. Look where the girls before her are.
Sotnikova - gone
Tuktamysheva - still fighting, but having one good season every few years.
Lipnitskaya- gone
Pogorilaya- very likely gone
Radionova - also very likely gone
Tsurskaya and Sotskova are slowly on their way out.
Medvedeva still seems to be fighting.
Hopefully, the Russian federation finaly gets it that Konstantinova is nowhere near as good as those above and will stop overscoring her.
Panenkova is also struggling.

New Olympic cycle, a new group of girl is pushing the old guard out. So welcome the new generation! Samodurova, and from next season Trusova, Scherbakova, Kostornaya, and hopefully the let also Tarakanova move up, despite her struggles at the nationals. With a bit of luck they could also count in Tarusina and Gubanova, if they manage to step up a bit.

Perky Shae Lynn

Kidding aside, I don't like how Zagitova looks. I normally don't comment on skater's appearance, but she looks gaunt and stressed. She is a little girl, and needs to be cared for by adults in her life. I wish she could take some time for herself, and get her spunky effervescent spirit back. The pressure is crushing her, and she's can't help growing taller. I worry about her.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Zagitova probably won’t stay around too long. Look where the girls before her are.
Sotnikova - gone
Lipnitskaya- gone
Hopefully, the Russian federation finaly gets it that Konstantinova is nowhere near as good as those above and will stop overscoring her.

You forgot:

Leonova - still here

barbarafan

With these sort of performances piling up the PCS will fall eventually.

Congrats to Sofia, I thought she had a chance to win :)
They have dropped for the FS. She usually is over 9:00 and these were in the 8:00's. I missed watching event so just looked at the scores and noticed the drop so I won't make any other comments until I watch. Great job for Sophia. I was so impressed with her short.

Coquelicot14

Kidding aside, I don't like how Zagitova looks. I normally don't comment on skater's appearance, but she looks gaunt and stressed. She is a little girl, and needs to be cared for by adults in her life. I wish she could take some time for herself, and get her spunky effervescent spirit back. The pressure is crushing her, and she's can't help growing taller. I worry about her.

She looks stressed. And I believe TAT is largely to blame for that. She has almost made it a campaign to put her down (snide remarks in her commentary), and certainly has some followers that do the same (Trankov? Bestimianova?). That is where the pressure is from, the pressure to prove her/them wrong. Also, if I were to guess, this why Alina quit social media until the season is over. The federation has to do something regarding this campaign of putting the fans of the girls against one another.
I say, ban TAT from commentators at least.

Bigbird

Sotnikova - gone
Lipnitskaya- gone

New Olympic cycle, a new group of girl is pushing the old guard out. So welcome the new generation! Samodurova, and from next season Trusova, Scherbakova, Kostornaya, and hopefully the let also Tarakanova move up, despite her struggles at the nationals. With a bit of luck they could also count in Tarusina and Gubanova, if they manage to step up a bit.

Yes, but they simply repeat the cycle, again and again. After they hit puberty they can't hit the jumps and a number have nothing but the jumps. But luckily in this bunch there are some who much more than jumping beans. They need to work on that. Girls inevitably become women.

hanca

Values her privacy
You forgot:

Leonova - still here
Will she get even GP next season? Because if she won’t, she won’t get to the nationals. She was extremely lucky she got to nationals this season, through getting a GP event as a substitute.

NAOTMAA

She looks stressed. And I believe TAT is largely to blame for that. She has almost made it a campaign to put her down (snide remarks in her commentary), and certainly has some followers that do the same (Trankov? Bestimianova?). That is where the pressure is from, the pressure to prove her/them wrong. Also, if I were to guess, this why Alina quit social media until the season is over. The federation has to do something regarding this campaign of putting the fans of the girls against one another.
I say, ban TAT from commentators at least.

I totally believe everything you wrote but I don't get why these people you specifically mentioned would care who won gold in the ladies when the winner was Russian (and coached by a Russian team so you can't use the Patriot card). TAT does dance and men's, Trankov is pairs and Bestimianova dance. Why couldn't they just be thrilled a Russian won? Why do they do this public sabotage campaign? Why would they be so invested in one Russian lady over another when ladies isn't their discipline?

Coquelicot14

Agreed! It shouldn't make a difference.

However, TAT is very known for her personal preferences, biases, it is always very apparent whom she likes and whom she doesn't. Some others just follow her... to please her. She is an influential figure after all. She practically took over Averbukhs shows.

floskate

Vacant
Shockingly this was my first time watching Samodurova :eek: I know I'm a bad skating fan. Loved her!! Sass, musicality, charisma, consistent jumps, good spins. Great overall package. Plus she looks just like Hana Maskova from the 1960's. Very exotic looking with killer cheekbones. :glamor:

Alina :fragile: Watching those practice clips and her performance today and seeing the ridiculous reactions of her coaches is really starting to piss me off. Everyone knows she's struggling with body changes and no amount of berating as if she's the laziest girl out there, or huffing and puffing and rolling eyes at every mistake muttering to the heavens from Eteri and Daniil at the barrier is going to do a damn thing to help this girl. Such a stupid approach! Of course she wants to skate clean and keep winning but her body and mind won't let her. And the more they continue with this approach the more mental knots she will tie herself into. Soooooooo who will Alina go to next? Because I'll bet she won't be with Eteri next season :shuffle:

World team - surely only Samodurova is a lock?

DobrinFan

Alina :fragile: Watching those practice clips and her performance today and seeing the ridiculous reactions of her coaches is really starting to piss me off. Everyone knows she's struggling with body changes and no amount of berating as if she's the laziest girl out there, or huffing and puffing and rolling eyes at every mistake muttering to the heavens from Eteri and Daniil at the barrier is going to do a damn thing to help this girl. Such a stupid approach! Of course she wants to skate clean and keep winning but her body and mind won't let her. And the more they continue with this approach the more mental knots she will tie herself into. Soooooooo who will Alina go to next? Because I'll bet she won't be with Eteri next season :shuffle:

Yeah, I think her coaches are causing her additional stress. I watched her run-thru from the video and still am wondering what the hell she did to cause Eteri to berate her in such a way. It pissed me off.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if she stayed. She has nowhere to go and overseas training is expensive.

Perky Shae Lynn

Alina :fragile: Watching those practice clips and her performance today and seeing the ridiculous reactions of her coaches is really starting to piss me off. Everyone knows she's struggling with body changes and no amount of berating as if she's the laziest girl out there, or huffing and puffing and rolling eyes at every mistake muttering to the heavens from Eteri and Daniil at the barrier is going to do a damn thing to help this girl. Such a stupid approach! Of course she wants to skate clean and keep winning but her body and mind won't let her. And the more they continue with this approach the more mental knots she will tie herself into.
I had exactly the same reaction. Do Eteri & Daniil think she is being lazy? Not trying? She obviously can't fully control her jumps during to growing a few inches. Does it occur to her team to support her a little? Like, be nice? TAT needs to cool down her trashing too.

Perky Shae Lynn

Not sure I agree, stress can be caused by plenty of outside factors, "home" has nothing to do with. I can think of plenty examples from my own life.
I meant the way Eteri and Daniil have been acting towards her. There are plenty of other factors that cause her immense stress. She's never been fully accepted like Medvedeva or Slutlskaya, doesn't have full support of Russian skating media, and sees other girls getting warmer crowd responses. It's a colossal amount of stress for a 16 year old.

Coquelicot14

I meant the way Eteri and Daniil have been acting towards her. There are plenty of other factors that cause her immense stress. She's never been fully accepted like Medvedeva or Slutlskaya, doesn't have full support of Russian skating media, and sees other girls getting warmer crowd responses. It's a colossal amount of stress for a 16 year old.

The Russian crowd response to Alina is incredible! Have you seen the huge amount of flowers and gigantic bears she always receives?
I totally agree with you assessment of the media though. The problem, is many follow Tarasova, she has great power in that regards. I have never seen TAT criticized in an article, whereas almost everyone else has been to one extent or the other. There are plenty of people with something to say about TAT in the comments though, so she is not universally adored. The Fed needs to limit her power. I am sick of her pushing her agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information