Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Perhaps you could do a zoom lecture for us BB? Drinks optional.
No need to dull the senses when the topic and presentation is enthralling,dear.
I have been sadly informed that Brenda Bottems may not be real, but I would really attend this symposium if someone else would put it on?
Whilst I am aware the desire of some here to cancel me even outpaces their desire to cancel the World Championships,I assure you I am very real.

-BB

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
From my perspective, something I think people should think about is that these athletes, who have missed out on competition all season long, who have signed up for Worlds in high numbers (this is actually the most pairs teams in recent years isn't it?) deserve the chance to prepare for Worlds with joy and excitement, not the mild nagging worry of having a fan campaign trying to shut Worlds down, however unlikely that may be. They have missed out on so much this year. This Worlds will be unusual, with a bubble and no audience. Don't add stress to the experience. I kept hoping the numbers would go down enough that they could get to have an audience, but that does seem unlikely. So to me, what I want to do as a fan is to contribute in any way I can to skaters feeling like they have as much positivity and enthusiasm about what they will be doing as possible even though there may not be fans physically cheering for them.
This times a million. And since I got redundant the second I started questioning the logic of some posters (who all avoid answering those questions but move on to other useless hypotheticals), people should just read this post and think about it.

Erin

Banned Member
Mmmmm I haven’t had a martini in about 9 years. Address? I’ll mask? sneak across a border? 😂

😂 I’m in Canada so no sneaking across borders necessary, just ignoring recommendations against inter-provincial travel. You’re in Ontario, right? I’ll let you know when I’m there after we’re vaccinated and we’ll have some martinis.

Erin

Banned Member
I'm planning on having plenty of martinis on hand for Worlds. I may need tequila.

Unfortunately, I can’t actually make martinis myself, so it will have to be simple vodka-based cocktails and/or wine. And probably mimosas since most of the events are in the morning my time and I want to be respectable.

Judy

Unfortunately, I can’t actually make martinis myself, so it will have to be simple vodka-based cocktails and/or wine. And probably mimosas since most of the events are in the morning my time and I want to be respectable.
You can YouTube how to make a martini 😂.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have the stuff to make Cosmos so, if I get into the exact right mood, that's what I will make.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I have already booked three days of vacation.

If Worlds somehow ends up getting cancelled again, I guess I will be watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading.
Same! I've had way too much vacation/PTO plans canceled due to this pandemic in the last year, starting with Worlds 2020. I need this event to happen but if not, I guess I'll be reading, Netflixing, and writing while I take my PTO since it's carryover from last year and it's either use it or lose it by the end of Q1.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Personally, a martini or two always livens me up a bit. But your mileage may differ.
Certainly. But an important topic like compulsory figures require my faculties to remain fully intact.
Mmmmm I haven’t had a martini in about 9 years.
Judy,Judy,Judy. I insist you remedy this dire situation tonight.

2 parts top-shelf gin,1 part dry vermouth,a dash of aromatic bitters and lemon twist (or olives if you prefer an uncouth evening).
I have the stuff to make Cosmos so, if I get into the exact right mood, that's what I will make.
On the rare occasion I order a Cosmopolitan,Mr. Bottems has learned he is in for a lengthy evening.

-BB

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The ISU has already tested out its bubble at a speed skating or short track event (can't recall which right now) that had way more people involved and had zero problems. The U.S. is not the only entity that can host a safe competition. Given that the ISU has not held a figure skating competition in over a year, how could anyone possibly comment on or criticize the ISU for how it will manage Worlds? I believe it will be so tightly controlled that anyone who makes one wrong move will be out in a flash - no matter who they are.
It was the long track, but way more safety protocols and they did a good job. But currently its the short track worlds in Netherlands and due to the variants of ykw NO BRITS allowed (but their close neighbour Ireland allowed, decent skater too ;) and Japan, Korea, Australia, China didnt go. So really its Europeans with North Americans (Canada & USA). Hope figure skating worlds has more countries show up.

Carolla5501

I am assuming those of you who have decided that the ISU should not be holding this event will be backing up your decisions next week next few weeks and not supporting the event or watching it. I mean after all how can you watch and enjoy something that it’s your this morally opposed to.

Anyone want to take bets on how many of these people who right now are outraged we have an event will be right there watching every moment of it and posting their critiques.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It was the long track, but way more safety protocols and they did a good job. But currently its the short track worlds in Netherlands and due to the variants of ykw NO BRITS allowed (but their close neighbour Ireland allowed, decent skater too ;) and Japan, Korea, Australia, China didnt go. So really its Europeans with North Americans (Canada & USA). Hope figure skating worlds has more countries show up.
One other significant difference between short-track worls and FS worlds is that short-track worlds is not the Olympic qualifier, so those countries that did not send teams were not risking anything by staying home.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I am assuming those of you who have decided that the ISU should not be holding this event will be backing up your decisions next week next few weeks and not supporting the event or watching it. I mean after all how can you watch and enjoy something that it’s your this morally opposed to.

Anyone want to take bets on how many of these people who right now are outraged we have an event will be right there watching every moment of it and posting their critiques.
I'll take bets on how many people who are outraged by the people who are outraged worlds are going ahead complain about the critiques by them when they watch worlds....

And if it isn't obvious that doesn't apply to me on either side. I don't give a shit if worlds happens and I don't give a shit if people who are outraged worlds is going ahead ends up watching worlds. Everyone here is first and foremost figure skating fans so they will likely watch.

Just like I will watch the Oprah interview with M/H even though I neither respect nor dislike either side in that saga.

I mean who cares. Why care that someone wants worlds to go ahead, why care that they don't want it to go ahead. Why not, when/if it starts, just move on and watch it and just bitch about the judging as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information