Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The event is sanctioned as an international event by the ISU. It therefore counts for technical minimums regardless of the number of countries entered.
You can only earn minimums at an international competition, which requires two competing members in the discipline.

That wouldn't apply to Challenge Cup, obviously, but there have been smaller competitions that were on the internationals list and presumably were intended to be internationals, but where all of the entries were from the same (host) country, and the results didn't count towards TES minimums.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
You can only earn minimums at an international competition, which requires two competing members in the discipline.

That wouldn't apply to Challenge Cup, obviously, but there have been smaller competitions that were on the internationals list and presumably were intended to be internationals, but where all of the entries were from the same (host) country, and the results didn't count towards TES minimums.
Obviously.

Sylvia

TBD
GBR pair skater (with Chris Boyadji) Zoe Jones posted this message on Jan. 24: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKb2X3Jr4JJ/
@miffy posted the GBR selections for Worlds that was announced by British Ice Skating today (Pairs TBD): https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6zlKtLtrm/

Ladies - Natasha McKay
Reserve - Karly Robertson

Men - Peter James Hallam
Reserve (Pending) - Graham Newberry

Ice Dance - Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson
Reserve - Sasha Fear and George Waddell

Pairs - (Pending) Zoe Jones and Christopher Boyadji
(Pending) Anastasia Vaipan-Law and Luke Digby [new team that has not competed yet]

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Is pending for people who need their TES minimums?
Graham, and Ana and Luke need theirs. (Ice Dundee posted that Ana and Luke have been selected pending getting the minimums.)
But Chris and Zoe were going to skate at Worlds last year so I think they have them. I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong there.

mjb52

Wonder why they are pending then. Maybe whether they feel ready/prepared to compete?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wonder why they are pending then. Maybe whether they feel ready/prepared to compete?
Given Zoe's recent IG post about their limited ice time, I'd say it's a question of feeling ready/prepared to compete. Plus, she has kids, so perhaps she is more concerned with traveling, etc.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I think it is good that both teams have been listed.
I think Ana and Luke had around 5 months training between the 2 lockdowns.

seabm7

In the updated announced for the 2021 Worlds, they removed the paragraph on chaperones. So do they allow a chaperone or not? I'm confused.

Karen-W

Ladies (3) - Zingas CYP, Rajicova SVK, Grm SLO

Dance (5) - Kuznetsova/Kolosovskyi AZE%, Khomyakova/Shapiro ISR*%, Moscheni/Fioretti ITA*, Muramoto/Takahashi JPN*, Zhata/Akalin TUR

LADIES 30.00 51.00
ICE DANCE 33.00 47.00

Technical Score for the current & 2 previous season
(in accordance with ISU Communication 2370, para. 1.1)

So, after both Egna and LuMi, we have 4 more qualified dance teams. My guess is that Khomyakova/Shapiro aren't in competitive shape or broke up since they didn't make it to LuMi after they were entered, and they aren't on the Challenge Cup entry list.

Moscheni/Fioretti ITA are on the most current version with their Egna 2021 scores (I'm not sure why Calderone/Riva ITA aren't also on the list since their TES for both the RD and FD met the minimums).

Kuzentsova/Kolosovskyi AZE and Zhata/Akalin TUR both earned the minimums they needed at LuMi, as did Verhaegh/Van Geffen NED (whom I'd overlooked as missing the FD minimum when looking at these lists the week before last).

Tomorrow we'll find out if Grm manages to get the FS min at Celje Open, but reviewing the SP results, HUN now has a 2nd qualified lady - Regina Schermann was missing the SP minimum and got it today. Bernadett Szigeti HUN also earned the SP min, we'll see if she can earn the FS min tomorrow. Lindsay Van Zundert NED missed the SP minimum today so she will be looking for it again next weekend at Tallink Hotels (she also is registered for Challenge Cup).

Karen-W

Tomorrow we'll find out if Grm manages to get the FS min at Celje Open, but reviewing the SP results, HUN now has a 2nd qualified lady - Regina Schermann was missing the SP minimum and got it today. Bernadett Szigeti HUN also earned the SP min, we'll see if she can earn the FS min tomorrow. Lindsay Van Zundert NED missed the SP minimum today so she will be looking for it again next weekend at Tallink Hotels (she also is registered for Challenge Cup).
No changes from yesterday - Grm and Szigeti both missed the FP minimums at Celje Open today. Onto next week for Grm and Van Zundert!

Karen-W

Was she close? (Grm)
No. Her TES was 48.68 - she still has Tallink Hotels and Challenge Cup coming in the next two weeks, plus I assume that her fed is going to submit a video on her behalf.

mjb52

No. Her TES was 48.68 - she still has Tallink Hotels and Challenge Cup coming in the next two weeks, plus I assume that her fed is going to submit a video on her behalf.

I know :) I saw it in another thread, that was my intensely lazy hope someone would mention what the TES minimum is so I wouldn't have to look it up myself.

Vagabond

I know :) I saw it in another thread, that was my intensely lazy hope someone would mention what the TES minimum is so I wouldn't have to look it up myself.
Why don't you go on ahead, look it up, and report back? I am sure that some people would appreciate knowing the exact number. :saint:

Karen-W

Why don't you go on ahead, look it up, and report back? I am sure that some people would appreciate knowing the exact number. :saint:
Sylvia posted them 2 pages ago in this very discussion thread...

mjb52

For anyone too lazy to click on the link (I know you're out there!), it's 51.00. So Grm wasn't that close at all, ouch.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
For anyone too lazy to click on the link (I know you're out there!), it's 51.00. So Grm wasn't that close at all, ouch.
She doubled a loop and a singled a flip, doubled the Salchow on the end of her Euler, and singled an Axel. Any of those 3 attempted triples actually landed and she would've gotten it -- so she's more than capable, but we've seen her come up just short how many times in the last two seasons (after the score was moved up, of course)?

Karen-W

After this weekend, two more ladies have earned the TES minimums - Elzbieta Kropa LTU and Josefin Taljegard SWE. While Sweden has two other ladies with the TES scores already, (Ostlund & Algotsson), it will not surprise me in the least if Taljegard gets the Worlds spot as those two finished well behind her at Tallink Hotels.

No changes on the Mens' side - Valter Virtanen FIN is still trying for the FS TES as Roman Galay is suffering from injury and will not be able to compete.

Onto next weekend with the Challenge Cup!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Not entirely relevant but GB have pulled their speed skating athletes from World speed skating championships - according to BIS there is no way for them to enter The Netherlands as UK residents are banned.

What are the current restrictions on entering Sweden?

skategal

Bunny mama
Not entirely relevant but GB have pulled their speed skating athletes from World speed skating championships - according to BIS there is no way for them to enter The Netherlands as UK residents are banned.

What are the current restrictions on entering Sweden?
Just have to present a negative test not more than 48 hours old.

Turbo-Mom

It 48 hour before you first flight takes off provided you don’t leave the connecting flight airports and remain in the secure zone
Returning to the us you would have a negative COVID test within 48 hours of your flight but my st flights are 6:30 am and the test would have to be Saturday if you fly back on Monday - can you get the results to show to the airline and us customs

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It 48 hour before you first flight takes off provided you don’t leave the connecting flight airports and remain in the secure zone
Returning to the us you would have a negative ********* test within 48 hours of your flight but my st flights are 6:30 am and the test would have to be Saturday if you fly back on Monday - can you get the results to show to the airline and us customs
Thank you for clarifying.

It does however, sound like a tremendous amount of monitoring and to be honest, hassle.

I would hate to produce a contact exposure result on departure. If nothing else, meaning self-isolation prior to leaving for the number of days that country requires.

mjb52

Are any of the likely Worlds participants in Australia rn? Kerry and Windsor aren't. Not sure whether Windsor has a partner yet or not. I wonder if some of the North American teams might head to Europe or Sweden early so as to be closer and not trying to fly in at the last minute. Not sure if that's actually any easier or not.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Canadian short track team picked and ready to go. Our current rates of infection are similar to GB as theirs greatly improved since their lockdown and USA much worse, have other teams been banned? Seems odd to me? Just present a negative test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information