Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

otisgear

Team China's JGP and GP selection criteria has been announced.

For JGP:
Pairs spots will be determined at the 1st Interclub competition in Shaanxi (Jul 7-12)
Singles and Ice dance spots will be determined at the 4th Interclub competition in Jiaxing (Jul 29-Aug 2)

Those who place first in the junior category at the selection will have priority choice of JGP spots. If any skater/team achieves top 4 at their JGP they will automatically get a second spot (so those who finish 3rd for pairs and 4th for singles/ice dance at the selection are not guaranteed JGP assignment).

For GP:
Selection will be done at the 5th Interclub competition in Sichuan (Aug 14-18)
Skaters who placed top 20 in last season's world rankings automatically qualify and are exempt from the selection trial (only Jin Boyang and Peng/Wang fit this criteria if I'm not mistaken)

Edit: Links to the official selection announcement for JGP and for GP

All in all, fairly sensible selection procedure for once?? I'm pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

On My Own

What is the point of holding these many interclub competitions though? Maybe I've already asked and maybe someone has already said, but it's so baffling.

Still, happy to see skating getting attention, with the announcements of foreign coaching, and Pang/Tong roping in Richaud. Someone even managed to rope in Kolyada to relocate and teach (good choice, easily the best of the Russians from the last quad).

On My Own

Not sure? They weren't eligible for the GP so I didn't have them on my list.
Mind you that there's the newly formed Shi/Wang in Ice Dance now.

Also, the disbanded ID teams don't contain Wang/Liu, so here's hoping the rumours of Wang trying to pair up with a Russian are false altogether.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Mind you that now there's the newly formed Shi/Wang in Ice Dance now.

Also, the disbanded ID teams don't contain Wang/Liu, so here's hoping the rumours of Wang trying to pair up with a Russian are false altogether.
Yeah, Wang/Liu are still listed - way down at 109. Maybe the CFSA is just going to let them drop off after next season???

But... let's celebrate! This WS update means we are SOOOOO close to GP assignments coming out!

On My Own

Yeah, Wang/Liu are still listed - way down at 109. Maybe the CFSA is just going to let them drop off after next season???
I'm happy CFSA seems to have stood its ground. The rumours (apparently) had more credence than I'd thought, so I am hoping this is a dead end to their careers. Not that there was any doubt Liu at least was done, but I didn't have any interest in seeing Wang around either.

otisgear

Was it discussed here that the Shi/Wang pairing has been disbanded? (Can't recall)
Shi/Wang (most probably) split sometime between Nationals and NWG. Wang posted a cryptic post on weibo (that was swiftly deleted) about missing out on NWG alluding that it was not because of injury.

otisgear

The club that Yang Yongchao is coaching at replied to comments on xiaohongshu basically confirming that Zhang/Yang are no longer skating together.

On My Own

Rumors said that Yongchao Yang retired and joined a local club as a coach in Beijing.

Zhang/Yang will attend the pair skating training camp later this week, so the rumor of their split-up turns out to be wrong.

The club that Yang Yongchao is coaching at replied to comments on xiaohongshu basically confirming that Zhang/Yang are no longer skating together.

The twists and turns of Chinese skating.

On My Own

Shi/Wang (most probably) split sometime between Nationals and NWG. Wang posted a cryptic post on weibo (that was swiftly deleted) about missing out on NWG alluding that it was not because of injury.
Also, just realized this was discussed on the previous page lmao

otisgear

Summary of the Zhang/Yang situation:

• Zhang/Yang did not attend the domestic Champions competition at the end of March.
  • Local skating club in Beijing announced Yang Yongchao as coach, speculation of him retiring but there was no confirmation.
  • Zhang/Yang appears on the name list for the pairs training camp in May. (but rumours say that he did not actually attend it)
  • Skating club replies to comments saying Zhang/Yang are no longer skating together.

Samurina

Summary of the Zhang/Yang situation:

• Zhang/Yang did not attend the domestic Champions competition at the end of March.
  • Local skating club in Beijing announced Yang Yongchao as coach, speculation of him retiring but there was no confirmation.
  • Zhang/Yang appears on the name list for the pairs training camp in May. (but rumours say that he did not actually attend it)
  • Skating club replies to comments saying Zhang/Yang are no longer skating together.
doesn't surprise me. while i do like them together, they have not made much progress in terms of placements at intl competitions. they started really well at shanghai trophy, and i thought they would be serious comp for Peng/Wang. I thought it would be Zhang who would be kicked to the curb however cuz she lacks any triple, Yang is still a rly good pairs guy so im surprised cfed is leaving him out to pasture.

otisgear

doesn't surprise me. while i do like them together, they have not made much progress in terms of placements at intl competitions. they started really well at shanghai trophy, and i thought they would be serious comp for Peng/Wang. I thought it would be Zhang who would be kicked to the curb however cuz she lacks any triple, Yang is still a rly good pairs guy so im surprised cfed is leaving him out to pasture.
I'm fairly certain it's Yang who wants to quit and this has nothing to do with the fed. If anything, cfed would prefer that they did not split. There's a serious lack of senior Chinese pairs right now.

On My Own

Good to see Jin getting two GP spots. Why wouldn't they try to get Yudong a SkAm spot, and reserve two TBDs at CoC though? Surely Raf might have helped. Guess the solo TBD is going to be Day again.

No Xiangyi guaranteed spot :eek: Hongyi gets a guaranteed spot at CoC. Two TBDs.

Peng/Wang two spots, no Zhang/Yang (so that's confirmed as a split I guess?), and two TBDs at CoC.

Mystery two TBDs for ID, but at least it means Wang/Liu aren't going to crawl back.

On My Own

I just realized looking at the thread, we haven't had news from An since the NWG?? What happened?

Karen-W

Good to see Jin getting two GP spots. Why wouldn't they try to get Yudong a SkAm spot, and reserve two TBDs at CoC though? Surely Raf might have helped. Guess the solo TBD is going to be Day again.
He's 45 on the SB list that a host spot is probably the only thing they could get him. The highest ranked skater on the SB list with a non-host spot is Hiwatashi at 39 - and he got NHK which makes sense since he's now training in Japan. Guys higher than Hiwatashi (Reshtenko & M Selevko) who aren't from a host country didn't get any assignments. And the guys further down than him on the SB list who got assignments were also assigned to host spots (Naumov 52 & Rakic 58).

On My Own

Although it's actually confusing to see one of the TBDs already announced in men and women. I thought only top 20 in the season's rankings were guaranteed a GP assignment at CoC, but that doesn't apply to Yudong and Hongyi.

Like Yudong I 100% expect to win it anyway, so maybe it's for the best he got put in there directly. Why Hongyi, though, IDK. And IDK who else is even senior in women this season, and nobody knows which other senior pairs exist, and I am ignoring ID completely apart from being happy 👁️👄👁️/💩 are out.

Samurina

Although it's actually confusing to see one of the TBDs already announced in men and women. I thought only top 20 in the season's rankings were guaranteed a GP assignment at CoC, but that doesn't apply to Yudong and Hongyi.

Like Yudong I 100% expect to win it anyway, so maybe it's for the best he got put in there directly. Why Hongyi, though, IDK. And IDK who else is even senior in women this season, and nobody knows which other senior pairs exist, and I am ignoring ID completely apart from being happy 👁️👄👁️/💩 are out.
well hongyi was kinda the obvious choice bc zhu yi retired. im suprised no nini bc she was 2nd at NWG but maybe she might be taking more time off to reheal her self and restore some jumps to not only be competitive domestically but internationally as well

Karen-W

It seems like the CFSA decided to assign their skaters who were already in the SB Top 75 to CoC - and that seems fair. Those skaters earned something in return for managing that, IMO.

Does this also confirm that Wang/Zhu are no longer together? They're SB 43 on the Pairs list.

raruki

I just realized looking at the thread, we haven't had news from An since the NWG?? What happened?
She decided to focus on her NWG rather than 4CC and WC last season so that she could have more time to recover and reshape her fitness and technical level. You can check her status on Xiaohongshu as someone posted some of her training videos after NWG.

On My Own

She decided to focus on her NWG rather than 4CC and WC last season so that she could have more time to recover and reshape her fitness and technical level. You can check her status on Xiaohongshu as someone posted some of her training videos after NWG.
I remember that, although never saw those videos. Nothing apart from the training videos?

otisgear

Welp, big fat baby Huang Yihang gets another year in juniors, as if the Chinese junior pairs scene isn't crowded enough. Bummed for the other promising Luan Bo baby pairs.

Samurina

Welp, big fat baby Huang Yihang gets another year in juniors, as if the Chinese junior pairs scene isn't crowded enough. Bummed for the other promising Luan Bo baby pairs.
wait does this mean Zhang/Huang can go to JGP series. if they can, they prob can fight for winning JGPF and JWC.

otisgear

wait does this mean Zhang/Huang can go to JGP series. if they can, they prob can fight for winning JGPF and JWC.
Yes, but I wouldn't rush to count their chances just yet… rule change also means the fake Georgians and also Williams/Lewer can continue to skate junior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information