Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

On My Own

You do realize that Jr Worlds are in Taipei, right?
It's figure skating 😭 And China has sent skaters to Taiwan before, multiple times.

My guess would be that they'll all be "tired" after NWG and how thinly the staff and management has been stretched out this season, and they'll "decide not to". But also, rumours are rumours, and quite a few of the Chinese ones are just bogus.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's figure skating 😭 And China has sent skaters to Taiwan before, multiple times.

My guess would be that they'll all be "tired" after NWG and how thinly the staff and management has been stretched out this season, and they'll "decide not to". But also, rumours are rumours, and quite a few of the Chinese ones are just bogus.
Yes, well, in previous years, Taiwan had not just had a presidential election where the winner was pro-independence.

I'd say it's 50-50 as to whether or not China participates in Jr Worlds.

On My Own

Yes, well, in previous years, Taiwan had not just had a presidential election where the winner was pro-independence.
Why would China not want its athletes to go to Taiwan if it wanted to assert its dominance or whatever. And why would it want to assert a position via junior figure skating...

On My Own

I'll just say it here that I so hope the rumor turns out to be false (the rest of the discussion belongs in PI) since not going to WJC = only 2 spots per discipline in JGP 2024-25, which would be very detrimental.
You could take it to PI. Can we get the source of the rumour in the meantime? I really need to start asking this of Chinese fans.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?

I know of a Chinese Man who would be happy to go to WJC, if needed. 😁

On My Own

There was a huge earthquake in Xinjiang. I pray for their safety. Were the junior NWG also in Xinjiang?

happycrying

Have they determined who would be going to Worlds? Is it going to be dependent on NWG?

Debating whether to buy a ticket or not….

On My Own

https://weibo.com/3180118630/NDwdzp2N0?pagetype=profilefeed

So this is like a Chinese translation of a TASS (Russian) report, which I'm posting here so that @Gris can translate better and maybe post in a separate thread? But apparently there's going to be a meeting to discuss simplifying tech requirements (removing a jump from singles skating LPs, for instance), which I'm 100% for. If I'm reading this correctly, I'm loving all the ideas.

ETA: Oh never mind! I'll go post it myself, haha. https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...the_technical_committee_of_the_international/

Gris

不做奴才做公民

So this is like a Chinese translation of a TASS (Russian) report, which I'm posting here so that @Gris can translate better and maybe post in a separate thread? But apparently there's going to be a meeting to discuss simplifying tech requirements (removing a jump from singles skating LPs, for instance), which I'm 100% for. If I'm reading this correctly, I'm loving all the ideas.

It's being discussed on X:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

ETA: Oh never mind! I'll go post it myself, haha. https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...the_technical_committee_of_the_international/
Or start a new thread here???

raruki

Slightly off topic, Nini took a picture with Qinwen Zheng, the newly Australian Open finalist this year, last September while Zheng shooting a McDonald commercial.
Wish both of them good luck for the upcoming competitions.

raruki

All of the 4 skaters are doing very really well.
Despite his injuries, Tian Tonghe pulled off his jumps cleanly in the short programs.
Gao Shiqi showcased her gorgeous musicality and skating skills; she can skate big music!
Liu/Ge has a successful international debut. I think they scored above Li/Wang in WJC2023 in RD?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Entries of Senior* NWG: http://www.cfsa.com.cn/cfsa_portal/html/new1.html?newsId=3673261&newsTypeId=5

* To be more accurate it should be translated to "Open" category (公开组) - as you can see below there are 11/12-year-old skaters who are not Junior age eligible in this category.

Women (19)

Ruichen Tong (Oct. 2009)
Shuxian Jin (Jun. 2011)
Xiangyi An (Dec. 2006)
Yihan Wang (Harbin, Apr. 2010)
Hongyi Chen (Sept. 2002)
Ruiyang Zhang (Dec. 2007)
Mengqi Zhang (Jun. 2008)
Yi Zhu (Sept. 2002)
Yuxuan Liu (Nov. 2012)
Ariel Guo (Hong Kong, Oct. 2010)
Lutong Li (Feb. 2011)
Wantong Geng (May 2011)
Jiaqi Fang (Dec. 2010)
Joanna So (Hong Kong, Sept. 1999)
Yinxi Li (Nov. 2010)
Jiaying Cheng (Dec. 2005)
Yixuan Ding (Aug. 2007)
Xizi Wang (Aug. 2012)
Wong Tong Iao (Macau, Jul. 2007)

Men (19)

Daiwei Dai (Jul. 2003)
Wenbao Han (Oct. 2006)
Juwen Xu (Mar. 2004)
Boyang Jin (Oct. 1997)
He Zhang (Nov. 1996)
Zhiao Jiang (Sept. 2008)
Zhibo Qu (May 2002)
Geruiqi Mei (Mar. 2007)
Zhiming Peng (Jun. 2003)
Jiarui Li (Mar. 2011)
Jian Gao (Oct. 2007)
Heung Lai Zhao (Hong Kong, Dec. 2003)
Hanyu Zhao (Oct. 2004)
Zhuolang Li (Jan. 2012)
Mutong Liu (Jan. 2002)
Lap Kan Yuen (Hong Kong, Jan. 1996)
Zexin Wang (Sept. 2009)
Peitong Chen (Jul. 1989)
Ho Chi Hin (Macau, Aug. 1999)

Pairs (10)

Cheng Peng / Lei Wang (Apr. 1997/Jul. 1988)
Siyang Zhang / Yongchao Yang (Feb. 2005/Aug. 1998)
Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng (Dec. 2006/Aug. 2004)
Wenning Shi / Zhiyu Wang (Sept. 2009/Jan. 2005)
Jiaxuan Zhang / Yihang Huang (Aug. 2007/May 2002)
Yuchen Wang / Lei Zhu (Jun. 2005/May 1998)
Youmei Sun / Ze'en Li (Nov. 2012/Jul. 1999)
Rui Guo / Yiwen Zhang (Mar. 2011/Jan. 2007)
Yunjie Wang / Helin Liu (May 2008/Jun. 2005)
Xuanqi Zhang / Wenqiang Feng (May 2011/Apr. 2008)

Dance (10)

Xizi Chen / Jianing Xing (Nov. 2001/Dec. 2001)
Shang Shi / Nan Wu (Nov. 2003/Dec. 1991)
Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu (Aug. 2008/Mar. 2005)
Zixi Xiao / Linghao He (Apr. 2007/Apr. 2007)
Lingxuan Meng / Lang Chen (Jun. 2008/Jan. 2008)
Meihong Zhang / Bolin Meng (Sept. 2006/Sept. 2000)
Shiyue Wang / Xinyu Liu (Apr. 1994/Oct. 1994)
Luchang Cao / Jianxu Chen (May 2006/Dec. 2004)
Ran Kang / Han Wan Chau (Hong Kong, Jul. 2007/Aug. 2006)
Yu Lu / Chenhang Zhang (Mar. 2003/Mar. 2004)

On My Own

Good to see the men doing well. Have to say one thing, I hope Jin does a better short next season. His personality doesn't suit this type of music. As pleased as I am to see overall improvement, and as fantastic as that ending sequence of transitions is, for me this program is just so random and boring. (ETA: I do genuinely like the LP)

Last edited:

On My Own

How expensive were the tickets here again? I know I saw a lot of complaining about it, but never saw the prices.

Shanghai Trophy was PACKED, think it was the same rink. I hope they take note of those prices, but I suppose that was also close to a national holiday + had short track fans who stuck around.

IIRC, I saw some Jin fans wanting to only go there during the weekend due to ticket prices and because they didn't want to do weekdays. Plus, there's the NWG so close by...

Gris

不做奴才做公民
How expensive were the tickets here again? I know I saw a lot of complaining about it, but never saw the prices.

Shanghai Trophy was PACKED, think it was the same rink. I hope they take note of those prices, but I suppose that was also close to a national holiday + had short track fans who stuck around.

IIRC, I saw some Jin fans wanting to only go there during the weekend due to ticket prices and because they didn't want to do weekdays. Plus, there's the NWG so close by...

Cheapest 4CC all-event ticket costs RMB 2,760, which is around the double of the GPF all-event one (I paid ~1,400 for mine then)

On My Own

Cheapest 4CC all-event ticket costs RMB 2,760, which is around the double of the GPF all-event one (I paid ~1,400 for mine then)
So I guess I expect only the men's event tomorrow to fill up a bit, maybe only during the final group. And the gala.

They need to keep in mind this isn't the way to promote a sport. CoC got it pretty right. GPF and 4CC failed to.

otisgear

So I guess I expect only the men's event tomorrow to fill up a bit, maybe only during the final group. And the gala.

They need to keep in mind this isn't the way to promote a sport. CoC got it pretty right. GPF and 4CC failed to.
CoC also handed out a whole lot of free tickets to fans while GPF and 4CC didn't at all

On My Own

CoC also handed out a whole lot of free tickets to fans while GPF and 4CC didn't at all
And I think that's perfectly right if you want to grow a sport, because if you never experience the sport, why would you randomly want to purchase a ticket? If even 30% of those free ticket holders became fans, that's a good thing.

ETA: Mind you, Korea is also very close by and they sent all their top skaters here, and there are some of the top Japanese skaters. I would guess much of the problem is ticket pricing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information