Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

otisgear

I still think it'll be Zhang/Huang for the top non Sui/Han and Peng/Whoever spot. Yes, there are a bunch of "*"s next to them currently, but so do Peng Cheng/Whoever Is Next For Her, and I do think Z/H have the best potential of the newcomers. Best throw and twist of every Chinese pair that competed this season, and great basics and presentation.
Zhang/Huang is looking good now but they have 2 major hurdles to overcome: 1. Puberty and 2. Being a Luan Bo pair. Puberty is big ? and tbh I don't think Huang is that solid strength-wise for a pairs man so whatever looks good now may be easily undone by some height and weight gain. And the only way Luan Bo pairs can make their mark is to do well enough to get international assignments so that we can see what they can really score without the domestic bias against them (and then they still have to do well at international competitions which is a whole other ballgame). BUT Zhang/Huang literally cannot take part in international competitions until olympics season so they're pretty much stuck with the domestic bias which makes them even more unlikely to break out...

Although I think Luan Bo's group getting Sui choreo and Han Cong slowly working his way into the ranks of Cfed might change the domestic bias against Luan Bo in the future. But right now the bias still clearly exists as seen at Nationals 2023...

On My Own

Zhang/Huang is looking good now but they have 2 major hurdles to overcome: 1. Puberty and 2. Being a Luan Bo pair. Puberty is big ? and tbh I don't think Huang is that solid strength-wise for a pairs man so whatever looks good now may be easily undone by some height and weight gain. And the only way Luan Bo pairs can make their mark is to do well enough to get international assignments so that we can see what they can really score without the domestic bias against them (and then they still have to do well at international competitions which is a whole other ballgame). BUT Zhang/Huang literally cannot take part in international competitions until olympics season so they're pretty much stuck with the domestic bias which makes them even more unlikely to break out...

Although I think Luan Bo's group getting Sui choreo and Han Cong slowly working his way into the ranks of Cfed might change the domestic bias against Luan Bo in the future. But right now the bias still clearly exists as seen at Nationals 2023...
Well let's see what happens with the grandfather clause, which can give Zhang/Huang either a season in Juniors, or let them get into seniors earlier than expected. Actually, Han Cong being involved in the ISU right now also might give the Chinese fed some sway, although of course he's in the tech committee so maybe not.

And at this point I'm 99% sure Sui/Han will return by 2024-25 season. There's no way CFed will want to lose face in Pairs of all things.

On My Own

Heh. A relevant reddit thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...nior_pair_yangdeng_doing_a_handstand/jaret4c/

I do think they should add things like these as they grow as a pair. It will make them standout. Add some acro entries and exits to the pairs spin. Should be fun and definitely unique.

Li/Wang are FANTASTIC, and I cannot wait for them to shake the world in seniors. Easily my favorite chinese ice dancers in terms of presentation, even right now. (also, very good looking pair)(And here's one for @raruki https://www.instagram.com/zheng007xun/)

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
It's a pity we won't see the Harry Potter FD in Calgary but I hope Xuantong and Xinkang enjoyed their experience. In the post-RD interview they said they'd have another split season next year and would have new programs - so no more Harry.

Xiangyi! Top 6 finish! 2 entries in all 7 JGPs for China next season! :cheer2:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It's a pity we won't see the Harry Potter FD in Calgary but I hope Xuantong and Xinkang enjoyed their experience. In the post-RD interview they said they'd have another split season next year and would have new programs - so no more Harry.

Does China even have 7 junior women to send out to 2 JGPs each next season?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Does China even have 7 junior women to send out to 2 JGPs each next season?

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 junior women (not counting Xiangyi - I expect her to get a CoC host spot at least) at this year's Senior Nationals who are international junior eligible next season and there should be more (Jilin skaters withdrew from Nationals collectively due to Covid then).

The biggest problem, however, is that I don't know if CFSA will be willing to send them or cover their expenses.

Karen-W

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 junior women (not counting Xiangyi - I expect her to get a CoC host spot at least) at this year's Senior Nationals who are international junior eligible next season and there should be more (Jilin skaters withdrew from Nationals collectively due to Covid then).

The biggest problem, however, is that I don't know if CFSA will be willing to send them or cover their expenses.
Makes sense. I'd expect them to at least use 2 spots for the JGPs in Bangkok and Osaka.

I expect Xiangyi to be skating on the senior GP next season too.

raruki

YES NINI! not her best form but managed to nail the rest of the programs!

Li/Wang😭If CFSA and the Chinese sports authority hadn’t messed up the visa application!:argue::angryfire had they had more international exposure, they might have scored a bit higher 😭

otisgear

Amazing job by Nini!! I expect her to go senior next season but I wonder if she'll go to the winter youth olympics next year?

raruki

Amazing job by Nini!! I expect her to go senior next season but I wonder if she'll go to the winter youth olympics next year?
The schedule for next season would be so busy and packed, especially the second half! If she decides to go to the winter youth Olympics, she will face 5 major competitions within 3 months including the nationals, winter youth Olympics,4cc, the national games, and the worlds! Not sure she can be physically prepared with this busy schedule.

otisgear

The schedule for next season would be so busy and packed, especially the second half! If she decides to go to the winter youth Olympics, she will face 5 major competitions within 3 months including the nationals, winter youth Olympics,4cc, the national games, and the worlds! Not sure she can be physically prepared with this busy schedule.
She can probably skip nationals, she's won it a ton already and the top skaters usually all skip it anyway. I guess she'd want to be at the winter national games and she can pick between winter YOG and 4cc if she really needs to cut down on the schedule. Gosh it really is a lot :eek:

skatinggold

She can probably skip nationals, she's won it a ton already and the top skaters usually all skip it anyway. I guess she'd want to be at the winter national games and she can pick between winter YOG and 4cc if she really needs to cut down on the schedule. Gosh it really is a lot :eek:
They should have send her to get her mins this year for worlds. Then she could do Worlds which will help her chances of getting two grand prix assignments next year. She will probably finish top 10 at senior worlds if she went. China Skating Federation really don't have their priorities straight on talent.

raruki

I don't think she can skip the Nationals because there would be a series before the national games to decide the qualifications and domestic rankings for the national games, and apparently, the nationals will be the most important one in the series(it sounds pretty silly for me to force an elite athlete to compete in those competitions though ).

Karen-W

They should have send her to get her mins this year for worlds. Then she could do Worlds which will help her chances of getting two grand prix assignments next year. She will probably finish top 10 at senior worlds if she went. China Skating Federation really don't have their priorities straight on talent.
I doubt she would finish top 10 at Worlds. Her score tonight is well below the top scores of Sakamoto, Mihara, Hendrickx, Levito, Watanabe, Y Kim, Lee, Gubanova, C Kim, Tennell, Glenn, and Repond; and I'm pretty sure that good skates from Kurakova, Schizas, Pinzarrone, Gutmann and Petrokina would beat her too. Mind, not all of them will skate perfect or great, but I'd say making the FS and top 15 is more realistic.

As it is, she will certainly be in the top 35-40 on the SB list and that will definitely secure her a GP invitation, in addition to the COC host spot she'll definitely receive as the top Chinese woman.

On My Own

?? Why? They have at least two more seasons eligible in juniors, maybe three, and there are two senior ID teams that'll outscore them... I didn't think they'll rise to seniors before Milan, and I definitely thought they split this season because everyone had something or the other.

I'm stoked for Nini!
As it is, she will certainly be in the top 35-40 on the SB list and that will definitely secure her a GP invitation, in addition to the COC host spot she'll definitely receive as the top Chinese woman.
Plus, I don't think she needs to over-exert herself after she got COVID. I didn't even know Calgary was at altitude.
Don't want her to do YOG next season, seniors is better. Would like her to show two better programs.

Li/Wang RD: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ys4y1L7X5/
An Xiangyi LP (official ISU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kawhB3vIY&ab_channel=SkatingISU
And also the bilibili one because it got a lot of views :p https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1624y187m7/

Last edited:

On My Own

Li/Wang😭If CFSA and the Chinese sports authority hadn’t messed up the visa application!:argue::angryfire had they had more international exposure, they might have scored a bit higher 😭
Honestly I'm not so sure. They weren't even in the JGP, and it's ice dance. Literally nothing done on the ice matters. But they can use this experience for next season. I do hope they're given an opportunity for foreign coaching. They're a gem in the rough, and unfortunately Chinese ice dance coaches have zero pull.

On My Own

BTW, about the Yang/Deng handstand. I don't think it'll count as a lift, but I think they can use it in their choreography. Begin or end a program like that. They can do a Cirque du Soleil program, and add acro.

Last edited:

otisgear

BTW, about the Yang/Deng handstand. I don't think it'll count as a lift, but I think they can use it in their choreography. Begin or end a program like that. They can do a Cirque du Soleil program, and add acro.
The handstand lift won't count as a pair lift unless his arms are fully extended...which I imagine is pretty much impossible because that would be crazy. They could do different holds though that might make it work.

Last edited:

On My Own

The handstand lift won't count as a pair lift unless his arms are fully extended...which I imagine is pretty much impossible because that would be crazy. They could do different holds though that might make it work.
I don't think they should do a handstand lift at all for a lift element. Too dangerous while skating, and not worth the effort for points. I just think it'll be interesting as a piece of choreography, maybe a transition, maybe "in-place" beginning or end. They're great for being such a fresh team, and they can be made a unique pair. They should use their cross-discipline training.

Wasn't there a team that used to compete in ballroom and switched to ice dance from the same cross discipline program?

otisgear

Wasn't there a team that used to compete in ballroom and switched to ice dance from the same cross discipline program?
Lu/Zhang, they're still around but they aren't threatening the top yet. It's really difficult to catch up in skating skills when you don't start as a kid and unfortunately it shows.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
?? Why? They have at least two more seasons eligible in juniors, maybe three, and there are two senior ID teams that'll outscore them... I didn't think they'll rise to seniors before Milan, and I definitely thought they split this season because everyone had something or the other.

They said they'd have another split season to gain more competing experience.

On My Own

They said they'd have another split season to gain more competing experience.
Well I suppose it's fair. Plus, they might want to do the 4CC at home, and for that they'll need senior MTS. Or does that turnover from this season... Anyway. It's up to them.

I think Liu/Ge will also be around next season? The third Harbin team.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Well I suppose it's fair. Plus, they might want to do the 4CC at home, and for that they'll need senior MTS. Or does that turnover from this season... Anyway. It's up to them.

I think Liu/Ge will also be around next season? The third Harbin team.
TES scores are good for 2 seasons, so they're fine.

On My Own

TES scores are good for 2 seasons, so they're fine.
I wonder which foreign coach can take them. I guess it's theoretical, but they do have the nike sponsorship that can be good for something. Maybe they'll need to do well in the winter games for it, but fingers crossed.
Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng (Music: Chaplin; no score was shown, IIRC his given name used to be Shunyuyao, but the caption here says Shunyang) Video
@Gris did anyone say what the reason for this was?

I don't think she can skip the Nationals because there would be a series before the national games to decide the qualifications and domestic rankings for the national games, and apparently, the nationals will be the most important one in the series(it sounds pretty silly for me to force an elite athlete to compete in those competitions though ).
Oh I just read this. But then, here's the 2020 nationals, where neither Jin Boyang nor Sui/Han competed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Chinese_Figure_Skating_Championships I remember JBY competed in the local club league finals (without participating in any of the qualifying competitions), but Sui/Han didn't do that either, and it was clear he was only there as a warm up for the season. @raruki

Last edited:

RoseRed

I wonder which foreign coach can take them. I guess it's theoretical, but they do have the nike sponsorship that can be good for something. Maybe they'll need to do well in the winter games for it, but fingers crossed.

@Gris did anyone say what the reason for this was?

Oh I just read this. But then, here's the 2020 nationals, where neither Jin Boyang nor Sui/Han competed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Chinese_Figure_Skating_Championships I remember JBY competed in the local club league finals (without participating in any of the qualifying competitions), but Sui/Han didn't do that either, and it was clear he was only there as a warm up for the season. @raruki
Well, IAM used to have two Chinese teams, but Chen/Sun aren't competing anymore right? So they might take another one. Or maybe at the London campus. And there are ice dance coaches at the Cricket Club. That's where D'Alessandro/Waddell trained before Natalie retired. Just thinking about places where other Chinese skaters train.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Well done, Yudong, for the 8th place finish and landing both 4S and 3A!

Spots China earned at this Junior Worlds:

Junior men: 2 spots at Junior Worlds 2024, 1 spot in 6 events at JGP 2023-24
Junior women: 2 spots at Junior Worlds 2024, 2 spots in 7 events at JGP 2023-24
Junior pairs: 2 spots at Junior Worlds 2024, 2 spots in 4 events at JGP 2023-24
Junior dance: 1 spot at Junior Worlds 2024, 1 spot in 4 events at JGP 2023-24

And I believe China has also got 1 spot in both Junior men and women for Winter YOG 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information