Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

raruki

Nini is beyond beautiful today.:love:
the PCS should be higher.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
With the skates today by Xiangyi and Yixi & Shunyang, China will have at least 1 entry in 5 events for junior women and at least 2 entries in 4 events for junior pairs in next season's JGP. (y)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
With the skates today by Xiangyi and Yixi & Shunyang, China will have at least 1 entry in 5 events for junior women and at least 2 entries in 4 events for junior pairs in next season's JGP. (y)
No guarantees yet until the FS is over and done for all of them.

Sylvia

TBD
I think 'Nini' An's PCS will go up now that she will go up now that she's in the final group of the FS! ;)

Photo after her SP: https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1631097896354611201
[2nd tweet] “I am skating since I am 3 years old and always enjoyed doing spins, so I wanted to make them a bit special.” Her idol is #YunaKim."

ETA: I deleted my embedded tweet since it was posted again below.

Last edited:

On My Own

I think 'Nini' An's PCS will go up now that she will go up now that she's in the final group of the FS! ;)
Well I think it's also because she's completely fresh to the judges, and didn't even have two JGPs. Next season she will hopefully be around for the entire deal. If she finishes strongly here, that'll probably leave her in good standing for two senior grand prix assignments, and the judges will slowly recognize her qualities.

Yeah I saw that on twitter. She also said her idol is Yuna Kim, and she has been skating since she was 3. Wanted to make spins special because she enjoys spinning - I think the rhytmic gymnastics shows up in them, and I want to see her getting more credit for that change of direction when she does the hyper-extended I-spin in the final CCoSp. +2 and that +1 are just plain ridiculous, even though I see she lost her centre a bit and maybe she could get into the opposite direction with a cleaner exit and more quickly.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPlMukgnklg

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Nini was lovely, but she wasn't blatantly underscored. Maybe you could make an argument that she should be ahead of Yujae Kim, but they're pretty much in a dead tie, being separated by .06 after the SP. One being 4th, the other being 5th is splitting hairs. And, also, it isn't as if Yujae is some known quantity to the judges - she had exactly one JGP, just like Nini.

It wouldn't surprise me if she does get 2 GPs next season, especially with China back to hosting. She's in a good spot to get one assignment outright and a host assignment as well.

otisgear

This is probably the best I've ever seen Yang/Deng skate, what a great job they did today! And so happy to see both of them so thrilled just to be there. I'm glad Junior Worlds was a great experience for them! Their throws have improved so much, I can see them upgrading to triple throws soon.

On My Own

This is probably the best I've ever seen Yang/Deng skate, what a great job they did today! And so happy to see both of them so thrilled just to be there. I'm glad Junior Worlds was a great experience for them! Their throws have improved so much, I can see them upgrading to triple throws soon.
I actually really adore them. I hope they can up their tech - this was clean, just that it was double throws and sbs. And they do have nice qualities and some nice lifts, and good basics. Decent twist, can be better, training back out side DS.

otisgear

I actually really adore them. I hope they can up their tech - this was clean, just that it was double throws and sbs. And they do have nice qualities and some nice lifts, and good basics. Decent twist, can be better, training back out side DS.
I think upgrading the throws is definitely possible in the near future. SBS...not so much, Yixi still struggles with 2Lo... idk if they'll ever even get to a consistent 2A. Their lifts are really solid and I think they did get a level 4 on their twist at nationals, I'm sure they'll be looking to make that consistent.

On My Own

I think upgrading the throws is definitely possible in the near future. SBS...not so much, Yixi still struggles with 2Lo... idk if they'll ever even get to a consistent 2A. Their lifts are really solid and I think they did get a level 4 on their twist at nationals, I'm sure they'll be looking to make that consistent.
Well they just need 2T+2T+2Lo and 2A I guess. I hope they try anyway. Throws should be good to go next season. I think they're still eligible for juniors. Twist levels and polishing that Back outside death spiral should also help TES.

otisgear

Well they just need 2T+2T+2Lo and 2A I guess. I hope they try anyway. Throws should be good to go next season. I think they're still eligible for juniors. Twist levels and polishing that Back outside death spiral should also help TES.
Yep, it's great that they still have at least another year in juniors. And they're probably still the solid number 1 junior pair team, the other 2 Luan Bo pairs that will be junior eligible next season aren't at the same level yet. I don't think there're any other serious contenders in the junior pairs field.

Last edited:

On My Own

Yep, it's great that they still have at least another year in juniors. And they're probably still the solid number 1 junior pair team, the other 2 Luan Bo pairs that will be junior eligible next season aren't at the same level yet. I don't think there're any other serious contenders in the junior pairs field.
It's all theoretical, but maybe if China somehow gets multiple entries for Milan, then we'll see Zhang/Huang and Yang/Deng compete for a spot. Both will be eligible to compete for the Milan spot.

Although currently, it looks much more likely that Chinese fed will "request" Sui/Han to come out of retirement before then.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
It's all theoretical, but maybe if China somehow gets multiple entries for Milan, then we'll see Zhang/Huang and Yang/Deng compete for a spot. Both will be eligible to compete for the Milan spot.

Although currently, it looks much more likely that Chinese fed will "request" Sui/Han to come out of retirement before then.

If the current age rules stand, Zhang / Huang will be in a "she's too young for senior, he's too old for junior" situation internationally for 2 years (will be senior eligible in 25-26 season) so I'm not sure how much competing experience they will have then, and that's assuming they will stay together.

On My Own

If the current age rules stand, Zhang / Huang will be in a "she's too young for senior, he's too old for junior" situation internationally for 2 years (will be senior eligible in 25-26 season) so I'm not sure how much competing experience they will have then, and that's assuming they will stay together.
Yes, it's why I said Milan season. I think they'll stay together, they're a good pair currently. But she will definitely grow up, so I guess I should hope she doesn't get dumped by him :rolleyes: Or maybe she'll want to split instead.

Anyway, it's still theoretical. I expect an interview from Sui/Han saying how much they "need" to skate and how much it "means" to them to "bring glory to the motherland" during the next season, probably after winter games. Not that I mind. I just couldn't get into Pairs this season.

ETA: Oh also,

IDK who this will apply to (only the ones who've competed internationally already or everyone), or if it will even happen, but here's a tweet from Phil Hersh on situations like Zhang/Huang. @Gris

Last edited:

raruki

I really admire Yang/Deng's dedication to figure skating. Coming from the background of acrobatic gymnastics, it needs tremendous determination and braveness to change to practice new different sports. If they kept practicing acrobatic gymnastics, they would win many medals very easily coz China is the powerhouse of this sport. In addition, facing the tight budget of this Olympic cycle, they still want to keep practicing figure skating without the bare support of their provincial sports authority.

And they nailed 2 programs, ranked top ten in Junoir worlds, and helped China to get 2 WJC spots. Salute to them.

raruki

Gris

不做奴才做公民
IDK who this will apply to (only the ones who've competed internationally already or everyone), or if it will even happen, but here's a tweet from Phil Hersh on situations like Zhang/Huang. @Gris

I'm aware of the possibility of a grandfather clause regarding situations like this (3 out of 14 teams at Junior Worlds are in this situation), but I suppose there will be some criteria at least and Z/H are a team who has never competed prior to the age rule change so I don't feel hopeful.

Last edited:

On My Own

I'm aware of the possibility of a grandfather clause regarding situations like this (3 out of 14 teams at Junior Worlds are in this situation), but I suppose there will be some criteria at least and Z/H are a team who has never competed prior to the age rule change so I don't feel hopeful.
Well hope springs eternal. Or Sui/Han's "need to skate" will spring eternal. Either one. Maybe both!

otisgear

Anyway, it's still theoretical. I expect an interview from Sui/Han saying how much they "need" to skate and how much it "means" to them to "bring glory to the motherland" during the next season, probably after winter games.
Don't you think they've already been saying this a lot this past year :ROFLMAO:

On My Own

Don't you think they've already been saying this a lot this past year :ROFLMAO:
Hey my memory is terrible. But yes, they're probably already laying the ground work. Also, given how men's singles are going, I'm sure Jin Boyang will also "feel the need to skate" after Milan. After Beijing it did seem he wanted to personally do it, but I still guess he might have negotiated going to Canada by subtly hinting he might "stop feeling the need to skate" if they didn't send him.

otisgear

So, there's a long way to go till Milano, but just looking at how things are right now if S/H and P/J aren't in the picture then the next in lines are Zhang/Yang and Wang/Jia... and that's pretty much enough to fill the oly spots because I really can't imagine they'd get 3 spots without S/H and P/J :ROFLMAO: Of course there's the possibility of some other team that might pop up but right now the scene looks pretty bare. Unfortunately I doubt Yang/Deng or any of the junior teams will be in a good position to fight for oly spots.

If P/J and S/H do come back then obviously there's even less room for the others.

On My Own

Unfortunately I doubt Yang/Deng or any of the junior teams will be in a good position to fight for oly spots.

If P/J and S/H do come back then obviously there's even less room for the others.
I still think it'll be Zhang/Huang for the top non Sui/Han and Peng/Whoever spot. Yes, they have a bunch of "*"s next to them currently, but so do Peng Cheng/Whoever Is Next For Her, and I do think Z/H have the best potential of the newcomers. Best throw and twist of every Chinese pair that competed this season, and great basics and presentation.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
When tennis player Na Li retired in 2014, it was seen as a landmark because she was the first high-profile Chinese athlete who retired when she wanted to. And she won a Grand Slam earlier that year. Had she been a state-funded athlete, she'd probably have been "persuaded" to keep competing because "You just won a major this year! You're still in top form! You have more to contribute to your country/province/city!" etc.

Alas, figure skating is heavily state funded so we may never see similar things happening.

On My Own

Had she been a state-funded athlete, she'd probably have been "persuaded" to keep competing because "You just won a major this year! You're still in top form! You have more to contribute to your country/province/city!" etc.
It's good that Japan skating isn't state funded because if 🕳️ had "felt the need to skate" I might have flown to the nearest competition to create more "holes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information