Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbinwinwin

I don't think there's any chance of Yi Christy Leung representing China or China forcing her to represent China. The political implications will probably be very messy.

There's certainly a lot of social media hearsay but the people who translate anything aren't fluent in either English or Mandarin, so crazy stuff gets spread I guess.

Lu Chen says Beverly Zhu can now represent China in international competitions here but she is going to get surgery first for her injury.

ssminnow

With Peng & Jin, the issue is always that they don't really have a second triple jump for the FS.

If this season so far is any indication, they can be seriously competitive with just a double axle. I've always wondered, why don't teams with less-than-reliable sbs triples just plan for the 2a? There are so many pairs elements, with sbs jumps making up a relatively small amount of base value, that teams can still be competitive without two sbs jumping passes. Sui & Han could have won the OMG if they landed clean 2As, and they've been struggling with the 3S for as long as I can remember.

Japanfan

If this season so far is any indication, they can be seriously competitive with just a double axle. I've always wondered, why don't teams with less-than-reliable sbs triples just plan for the 2a?

IDK. A pair really wants a second triple if they are competing for top spot.

To give an example - what the 3L did for D&R.

Sui & Han could have won the OMG if they landed clean 2As, and they've been struggling with the 3S for as long as I can remember.

Would that have been enough to beat S&M? I don't remember the competition well, so can't say.

Sedge

If this season so far is any indication, they can be seriously competitive with just a double axle. I've always wondered, why don't teams with less-than-reliable sbs triples just plan for the 2a? .

Peng's 2A is as unreliable as her 3S.
She seems to have control over her 3T this season so maybe they could try the 2A again..they last tried it in 2016.2017 and it was at best 50/50 that year.

Dobre

Yes, they were less than a point apart. S/H could have also won if Cong had not singled the double toe in their combo.

But that was only true because Bruno popped his jump in the SP. S&H couldn't know months in advance that they could win with a double axel. Changing what you have practiced rarely works. After the GPF, there was no way S&H were going to take out any difficulty. Typical Chinese pairs strategy is to go in knowing you have the technical difficulty to win. I've never had an issue with Sui doing the sal; but I really wished they hadn't gone back to practicing the throw quad after they lost the GPF. Her feet have had a longterm issue, and it wasn't a surprise that she was injured again. The injury & time they had to take off rebuilding is really what cost them the gold, IMO.

Anyway, this strategy of refusing to go into a competition without the difficulty to be a contender--it's been true of the Chinese pairs for decades. Shen & Zhao trying the throw quad. The Zhangs, Peng & Zhang, Sui & Han--it's always the same. They go out and try some incredibly risky element rather than settle for a lower placement. It's both gutsy & admirable (because of course, you have to be willing to put the most difficulty on the table if you want to control your own destiny) and risky & poor strategy (because if you're injured or muck up because of it, the cost is often more than a single spot).

Japanfan

Anyway, this strategy of refusing to go into a competition without the difficulty to be a contender--it's been true of the Chinese pairs for decades. Shen & Zhao trying the throw quad. The Zhangs, Peng & Zhang, Sui & Han--it's always the same. They go out and try some incredibly risky element rather than settle for a lower placement. It's both gutsy & admirable (because of course, you have to be willing to put the most difficulty on the table if you want to control your own destiny) and risky & poor strategy (because if you're injured or muck up because of it, the cost is often more than a single spot).

It's also a long-term strategy, which paid off for S/Z. They were able to come back after his possibly career-ending injury, and to claim Olympic gold in 2010.

I expect S/H have their eye on the prize of Gold in Beijing 2022. To that end, they need to keep their competitive edge.

I've never had an issue with Sui doing the sal; but I really wished they hadn't gone back to practicing the throw quad after they lost the GPF. Her feet have had a longterm issue, and it wasn't a surprise that she was injured again. The injury & time they had to take off rebuilding is really what cost them the gold, IMO.

True as that may be, it's fortunate for her that the injury at the end of the last Olympic cycle/start of the new quad.

Here's hoping she can stay healthy through to 2022. :respec:

Fortunate for her that the injury happened

Sylvia

TBD
Sui/Han article in English (she was diagnosed with a bone fatigue fracture in her right foot in March 2018): http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-01/10/c_137734515.htm
Excerpts:
"We are a little bit behind schedule, but nothing serious. Both Han and I are very confident to perform two wonderful programs in the upcoming Four Continents tourney," said Sui after a routine training session of the Chinese national squad in Beijing's Shougang Industry Park.
"We may not be able to show the audience some perfect routines with high level jumps, throws or spins, but we've put so much concentration to make sure the programs to have a style of our own," she added.
"Then we spent three weeks in Canada last September to choreograph the new programs for the 2018-2019 season with Lori Nichol, did some skate-related campaign back home for public good and suffered a little setback with illness and injuries," she added.
When Sui/Han finally put all elements in places for both of their programs, there were just two weeks before the Chinese national championships.
"We skated the full versions of our short program and free skate just six times each before departing for the nationals," Sui said.

Dobre

Fortunate for her that the injury happened

I think the above must be missing a word? It was not fortunate. She had already had surgery and come back from it. S&H looked great all through the GP. Then she was re-injured mid-season last year, prior to 4CCs and the Olympics. Perhaps it is fortunate that she was able to compete at the Olympics at all, but it was certainly not fortunate that the injury happened.

Japanfan

I think the above must be missing a word? It was not fortunate. She had already had surgery and come back from it. S&H looked great all through the GP. Then she was re-injured mid-season last year, prior to 4CCs and the Olympics. Perhaps it is fortunate that she was able to compete at the Olympics at all, but it was certainly not fortunate that the injury happened.

Yes, I forgot to complete that sentence.

I meant to say that it is fortunate that the injury impacted her ability to compete this season, at the start of the new Olympic quad. Better than in the 2021/2022 season.

I wasn't thinking about the last Olympics specifically. S/H will have their sights set on winning in 2022 at home.

Dobre

Nothing personal. Ning & Wang were the top Chinese dance team on the JGP last season and attended Junior Worlds. They aged up this season and are debuting as seniors this year. This season they competed at the Asian Open and Mentor Torun Cup. (It is nice that China sent them to both).

Ning & Wang's ISU Bio:
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101527.htm

Video of their SD from last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDHz1gDIuV0

Video of their FD from last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTGM2wksD5w

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
In the 4CC Pairs FS thread, many posters commented (and I was thinking) how far Sui/Han have come artistically since their cutesy rodeo program - so I went and watched their SC 2011 SP. I never thought I'd willingly watch that program again, but maybe knowing what was to come from this team gave me a different perspective. It was kind of charming, and at least different than what most pairs were/are doing. And it was age-appropriate. I can see how all the hokey lasso armography got grating over 2 seasons, though :lol:

But yeah, I never would have guessed that those two OTT cuties would end up doing such a gorgeously choreographed and mature program like yesterday FS :respec:

feraina

In the 4CC Pairs FS thread, many posters commented (and I was thinking) how far Sui/Han have come artistically since their cutesy rodeo program - so I went and watched their SC 2011 SP. I never thought I'd willingly watch that program again, but maybe knowing what was to come from this team gave me a different perspective. It was kind of charming, and at least different than what most pairs were/are doing. And it was age-appropriate. I can see how all the hokey lasso armography got grating over 2 seasons, though :lol:

But yeah, I never would have guessed that those two OTT cuties would end up doing such a gorgeously choreographed and mature program like yesterday FS :respec:
They were extremely good for their age and experience! They were just stuck with that program because they (and their coach) were politically out of favor and had no funding for good or annual choreography.

They absolutely made the most of the choreography given to them, and proved themselves over and over until the Chinese fed couldn’t ignore them anymore.

Japanfan

Thanks, @Dobre. Have they really been together less than two years? Impressive - she's already a diva!

The colours of their costume! :D They look like an ice cream cone.

:respec:

I remember seeing and very much enjoying that program at Skate America and being really impressed with the S/H's potential.

I saw them in the concourse later and wanted to tell them how much I had enjoyed them. But I was not able to because there was a huge line of fans wanting to do the same.

S

SmallFairy

I really liked the cowboy program! (I felt like the only one back then:lol:) It was so cute and refreshing. So many Chinese pairs were rather dull or took years to develop any kind of personality. Here came these two kiddos, bursting with energy, being the cutest things. I loved them right away. And now, they skate the most intense, sophisticated programs. They've come so far!

barbk

I really liked the cowboy program! (I felt like the only one back then:lol:) It was so cute and refreshing. So many Chinese pairs were rather dull or took years to develop any kind of personality. Here came these two kiddos, bursting with energy, being the cutest things. I loved them right away. And now, they skate the most intense, sophisticated programs. They've come so far!

I despised that cowboy program in Everett and didn't much like their overall skating other than the fab tricks. Now? probably my second favorite pairs team after Vanessa & Morgan.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Japanfan

The silver lining is that 2022 is still two years away. A person usually only gets so much bad luck, and better for Sui to have a string of it now, rather than in 2021.

I was thinking about S/H versus J/C at Worlds and in hoping that S/H win, it occurred to me that S/H really do not want to peak before 2022.

So maybe they are actually right on track.

And if S/H do not earn the title at Worlds, I'm totally okay with it being J/C who beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information