Champs Camp 2017 (Aug 19-23)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jason Brown's outfit!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::yikes:

^^ :D

Also, Lynn's "time is a precious commodity" when speaking in reference to the season and Gracie Gold/Champs Camp sounded pretty cryptic.

I didn't detect anything very cryptic in that comment by Rutherford, in regard to Gracie Gold. Time is a precious commodity for all skaters, but at this juncture, perhaps even more-so for Gracie, depending upon what's truly in her heart in terms of overall goals. Rutherford was fairly straightforward and fair in her comments about Gracie, unlike some posters. :drama: (I'm not referencing you when I say that).

After McCarvel mentioned: "Big question marks surrounding Polina Edmunds and Gracie Gold," Rutherford responded:
"Polina's confident she can get back into form... We'll see where it goes from here. She's got some time and we'll have to wait and see. But what I like to call that 'Polina confidence' was certainly [evident]..."

On the subject of GG, Rutherford said: "Gracie's got a road to hoe. She's coming off a tough season. She's been very open about her feelings and really trying to regain her motivation. I think that it may be a little tough for her this season. But that's not to say we can't be surprised. The only thing I'll add is that time is a very precious commodity..."

Two things may be meant by that: 1) Is there enough time in terms of training and preparation for Gracie to find her motivation to rebuild her results and confidence this season? and, 2) Gracie is 22 (having just celebrated a birthday). That's still young, but it's three years older than Polina, who is 19. Rutherford stated Polina has time, but seemed to stress the opposite for Gracie. However, the major factor, even seen in Rutherford's analysis, is not time but determination. Rutherford highlighted Polina's confidence, and suggested that Gracie is trying to find and bolster her confidence. This 'lack of time' perception may also be related to Gracie having previously indicated this is probably her final season.

Actually, both Polina and Gracie IMO are young enough to continue their skating careers past this season unless injuries and lack of motivation, or poor luck and unclear motivations hold either of them back. I didn't realize that Polina was concerned about the possibility of a "career-ending fracture" wrecking her 'navicular bone' in her foot that suffered the nagging bone bruise. That's the reason, according to her Wiki page, that Polina took so much time off after first trying to get back on the ice to train too soon.

Personally, I think time is precious for every athlete, but also not the greatest hurdle unless you are too caught up into thinking it is. The biggest factor determining success IMO is what lies inside (how strong you are mentally as an athlete). If you have the mindset, I think it's possible to bend time to your own advantage. Or, make time work for you rather than against you. That's what Ashley Wagner did in jump-starting her career and achieving star-making successes. It's about what you really want and what you are willing to do and to endure to get it. That's the bottom line. The rest is just the daily challenges that must be overcome with patience and never giving up. Obviously, the path and the choices and challenges are different for everyone.

Last edited:

GullyGirl84

I didn't detect anything very cryptic in that comment by Rutherford, in regard to Gracie Gold. Time is a precious commodity for all skaters, but at this juncture, perhaps even more-so for Gracie, depending upon what's truly in her heart in terms of overall goals. Rutherford was fairly straightforward and fair in her comments about Gracie, unlike some posters. :drama: (I'm not referencing you when I say that).
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just reading the tea leaves too much because it's the off season and I'm desperate for news! ;) Lynn has always been a pretty big champion of Gracie (predicting she would medal at worlds the last few seasons/predicting she would win nationals last year even after her off gp season), so maybe I'm reading too much into her comments unfairly. We will know what form Gracie is in soon enough!

mag

I am :rolleyes: and :lol: that someone thinks that all Osmond has over Mirai is strong federation support. Osmond may be inconsistent, but if Mirai ever gets half the speed and performance of Osmond I will be overjoyed. Now as a comparison Tuk, I think Mirai comes out on top. Tuk is IMHO very slow, has poor ice coverage, and her performance is middle of the road. I think Mirai has the potential to be much better than Tuk, however, that may no longer get her on the top of the podium. Tuk timed her golden year perfectly. Those two skates would no longer win a world championship.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I am :rolleyes: and :lol: that someone thinks that all Osmond has over Mirai is strong federation support. Osmond may be inconsistent, but if Mirai ever gets half the speed and performance of Osmond I will be overjoyed. Now as a comparison Tuk, I think Mirai comes out on top. Tuk is IMHO very slow, has poor ice coverage, and her performance is middle of the road. I think Mirai has the potential to be much better than Tuk, however, that may no longer get her on the top of the podium. Tuk timed her golden year perfectly. Those two skates would no longer win a world championship.

Jeez, whatever @mag. I never said that 'all Osmond has over Mirai is strong federation support.' But you can continue purposely misconstruing, mis-stating and nitpicking my comments, as you are wont to do. :)

And mayhap you are also being a bit over-defensive when it comes to charming Kaetlyn, who had a significant breakthrough at Worlds. After a lovely sp, she struggled courageously to hold it together during her fp, and she succeeded. Good for her. I don't think you or other Canadian ubers need to worry overmuch about Gabby or Kaetlyn. Those ladies seem primed for battle IMHO. And part of their battle will definitely be with each other. :D The entire ladies field will be tough this season, which is exciting for fans.

I won't restate what I already said re Osmond and Mirai, in response to comments by another poster that were not directly related to Osmond. You can either try to read more carefully or not, as you choose.

Last edited:

Jammers

^^ :D

After McCarvel mentioned: "Big question marks surrounding Polina Edmunds and Gracie Gold," Rutherford responded:
"Polina's confident she can get back into form... We'll see where it goes from here. She's got some time and we'll have to wait and see. But what I like to call that 'Polina confidence' was certainly [evident]..."

On the subject of GG, Rutherford said: "Gracie's got a road to hoe. She's coming off a tough season. She's been very open about her feelings and really trying to regain her motivation. I think that it may be a little tough for her this season. But that's not to say we can't be surprised. The only thing I'll add is that time is a very precious commodity..."

Two things may be meant by that: 1) Is there enough time in terms of training and preparation for Gracie to find her motivation to rebuild her results and confidence this season? and, 2) Gracie is 22 (having just celebrated a birthday). That's still young, but it's three years older than Polina, who is 19. Rutherford stated Polina has time, but seemed to stress the opposite for Gracie. However, the major factor, even seen in Rutherford's analysis, is not time but determination. Rutherford highlighted Polina's confidence, and suggested that Gracie is trying to find and bolster her confidence. This 'lack of time' perception may also be related to Gracie having previously indicated this is probably her final season.

Actually, both Polina and Gracie IMO are young enough to continue their skating careers past this season unless injuries and lack of motivation, or poor luck and unclear motivations hold either of them back. I didn't realize that Polina was concerned about the possibility of a "career-ending fracture" wrecking her 'navicular bone' in her foot that suffered the nagging bone bruise. That's the reason, according to her Wiki page, that Polina took so much time off after first trying to get back on the ice to train too soon.

Personally, I think time is precious for every athlete, but also not the greatest hurdle unless you are too caught up into thinking it is. The biggest factor determining success IMO is what lies inside (how strong you are mentally as an athlete). If you have the mindset, I think it's possible to bend time to your own advantage. Or, make time work for you rather than against you. That's what Ashley Wagner did in jump-starting her career and achieving star-making successes. It's about what you really want and what you are willing to do and to endure to get it. That's the bottom line. The rest is just the daily challenges that must be overcome with patience and never giving up. Obviously, the path and the choices and challenges are different for everyone.
If Gracie can't find motivation for continuing to skate almost 18 months after Worlds then i think she needs to retire because i don't see her skating because she wants to but because people expect her to. I hated seeing her last season lose to skaters she was beating by 30 points the year before. The last thing i want to see is her end her career as a also ran who can't even medal at Senior B events losing to vastly inferior skaters. Seeing her not even be able to land a single triple jump is
sad4.gif
to say the least. This from someone who was the best natural US Ladies jumper since Tonya. Even Ashley despite not being the athlete or jumper Gracie was and being older is doing 3-3 combo's even if they are sometimes underrotated. Gracie was never considered a slacker when it came to her training compared to some other US Ladies in the past and was almost always in top shape to compete but now it seems like she can't even get into the proper shape to land jumps she used to be able to do in her sleep. I just don't want to see someone who was a clean skate away from being World champion 18 months ago and who is still probably the most talented of the US Ladies go out like this.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ah, @Jammers, those are melancholy reflections and I commiserate with you. Tears are even attempting to form in my eyes. But let's not be sad for Gracie. It's not the end of the world. Sometimes life is like that. We each have challenges to face that can be beyond our understanding. I would have loved to see Gracie prevail at 2016 Worlds. I so enjoyed seeing her happy in victory and on Cloud 9 at U.S. Nationals that year. But it's up to her, how and whether she will be able to turn it around this season, or at least begin to turn it around, and decide whether to stay for another two to four years.

Victory and perhaps an ensuing rivalry with Med could have happened post-2017 Worlds. But it was not to be. Med took advantage with her boffo, consistent jumping ability, while the judges turned a blind-eye to Med's performance shortcomings. And so, Med is a two-time World champion. But that mantle could just as easily have been Gracie's. Still, it's not for us to lament, and neither is it for Gracie to lament. She's young and her life is still ahead of her. She does have time to decide what she truly wants out of the sport, and what she wants for her life. I just wish for Gracie to be happy and to enjoy the season, and to simply do what she can and to learn from whatever happens.

... i think she needs to retire because i don't see her skating because she wants to but because people expect her to...

We can't be sure that's true. That does not have to be the reason. Like the conversation earlier in this thread, it's hard for skaters who have experienced the skating life and made friendships and grown up training and living the skater lifestyle (tough though it is), to simply abruptly leave the sport. Some who do later regret it (Mary Beth Marley); others take their time making a tough decision but do so thoughtfully and purposefully and are able to come to terms with it (Samantha Cesario). Others try to hang in with determination (Caroline Zhang), even when they realize they are being 'phased out,' and so some may end up deciding to leave sooner or later either on their own terms or not (Agnes Zawadski; Rachael Flatt), or often premature departures are due to serious injury (Kimmie Meissner; Deanna Stellato -- thanks be to God for Deanna's amazing renaissance as a pairs lady!!! :encore:). And there are as many other reasons and scenarios as there are skaters.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Because of course what we all want to hear is The Winner Takes It All. ;)

More than Summertime, absolutely. :bloc:

I think it's telling that people are comparing Mirai to Osmond. :D she has officially spooked some people, so now the "time to get real" has started.

They are both very inconsistent skaters who make lots of mistakes. We will see what happens this season. :40beers:

Willin

On social media, I think Gracie seems a lot happier this summer, and she appeared to be having a lot of fun at SoI. In pictures she's smiling more and there's a lot fewer "canned" tweets and more fun and sassy responses. So I do believe she's enjoying it more. It also seems that she's become a lot friendlier with the other top skaters than she was previously - particularly Ashley. For some reason that made me wonder if she's finally skating of her own accord as opposed to it being something she's just doing because of outside influence.
Even if she has a rough season this year because of her personal struggles since getting 4th at Worlds, I think with support from other athletes and a renewed love for skating she can be more successful than ever. Of course, that all depends on her choice. If the article is correct it sounds like she's still struggling for motivation, but I firmly believe she can get past that if she is really enjoying it. And if all she wants to do with skating is shows or for personal enjoyment (like Rachel Flatt her last couple of seasons), that's fine as well.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Gracie looks really pretty here IMO:
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/900559354184818689

and looks WAY better than a lot of the people who comment on her weight..? :shuffle:

I'm extremely impressed with how she's handled herself since the split with Frank, she was thrown a total sh!tstorm of drama that she just let roll off her shoulders. She hasn't added to any of it and just keeps trying to make the best of it, friends with her previous big competitors (Ashley), etc. Gracie Gold is a lot cooler than people give her credit for.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yeah, Osmond has music that makes me wish lyrics would be banned again. So, there's that over Mirai :shuffle:

:lol: The screeching is way too much, and distracts from Kaetlyn's skating, but we'll see. I may have to use Kaetlyn's current sp as a fridge break this season. ;) In any case, as we all know, ISU judges weren't at all bothered by Med's facial contortions, jumping rope, and miming answering the annoying phone ringing during her fp. :duh: So they'll likely adjust to a bit of ear-splitting yowling about 'Summertime' in a cold rink in the middle of winter. :drama:

I thought Mirai could have done something more with The Winner Takes It All, but alas she never got there (seemingly was unable to fully commit). The best artists fully commit to their music/choreo, when they have the needed abilities and the luck of sublime choices. I'm thinking Jason Brown's last season programs, and AdaRipp's Arrival of the Birds/O (Fly On).

Teamgracie

I had some questions about the report from Rutherford (sp?). At first I was really sad to hear what she said from the posts (I've been hoping and hoping to hear good news about Gracie). But then I listed to the show and realized two important things. First, she made it clear that she didn't see any of the programs and second she didn't speak with Gracie. So she really isn't speaking from any actual facts about Gracie's skating. We might hear something after this weekends skate. I only wish the best for Gracie. I'm with the posters that don't want to see another tough year for her - that would really be heartbreaking.

chachacha

Fair enough. Maybe I'm just reading the tea leaves too much because it's the off season and I'm desperate for news! ;) Lynn has always been a pretty big champion of Gracie (predicting she would medal at worlds the last few seasons/predicting she would win nationals last year even after her off gp season), so maybe I'm reading too much into her comments unfairly. We will know what form Gracie is in soon enough!
Lynn Rutherford unfortunately does not really report fairly and typically reports on her own bias of her favorite skaters. So she can say all she wants about Gracie now and what she thinks, Let Gracie just let her skating speak for itself. Icenetwork needs to ensure they get some non bias reporters on board. Just my opinion :)

VGThuy

Lynn Rutherford unfortunately does not really report fairly and typically reports on her own bias of her favorite skaters. So she can say all she wants about Gracie now and what she thinks, Let Gracie just let her skating speak for itself. Icenetwork needs to ensure they get some non bias reporters on board. Just my opinion :)

Do people agree with this assessment of Lynn Rutherford?

Dobre

I haven't followed her reporting closely, but I have found her to be more up-to-date on what is happening in the sport than many of her peers. I haven't noticed any extraordinary bias, which is actually unusual as I see it almost instantly with a lot of reporters. But, again, I haven't followed her closely.

GullyGirl84

I haven't followed her reporting closely, but I have found her to be more up-to-date on what is happening in the sport than many of her peers. I haven't noticed any extraordinary bias, which is actually unusual as I see it almost instantly with a lot of reporters. But, again, I haven't followed her closely.
She's not bad, if anything, I've thought that she has over-hyped Gracie in the past, which is maybe why her lukewarm wording regarding her on the podcast raised a red flag for me :lol: She was very respectful though and said that she thinks of Gracie as one of the best skaters in the world when she's on, and that she could surprise everyone this season. My hope is that the media lowering their expectations for Gracie temporarily will really take some pressure off of her and allow her to shine/attack.

bardtoob

I listened to Lynn Rutherford's whole comments on the podcast, and I thought she was fair.

Lynn simply said what she knew, and nothing more.

It is important to note that Lynn did not see the skaters skate because media was not allowed. However, she did speak to skaters outside the rink.

Last edited:

Teamgracie

I don't know much about her reporting either. I do understand that the media isn't allowed to see the performances but she also didn't speak with Gracie herself. So if she was speaking about her motivation it had to come from either other skaters, which I'm inclined not to think, or she was speaking about what she thought rather than what she knows. She did have taped comments from other skaters that she spoke with, Karen, Ashley, etc. I also hope that the media does have lower expectations and maybe that will take the intense pressure off Gracie - but we'll see :saint:

bardtoob

Somebody is making a big deal about Lynn saying time is running out for Gracie but not for Polina. So what! Gracie was supposed to be going into the Olympics as a contender for the OGM while Polina was supposed to be trying to just get on the team. So, yeah, Lynn's comment is fair because the time is running out to be prepared to win the OGM, but it is not running out to just get on the team. I do not think Gracie had any intention of just getting on the team, enjoying the opening ceremony, enjoying the Olympic Village, getting the free stuff, adding a line to her CV, then going back to college, unlike Polina a la Emily Hughes.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

Not at all.

Lynn has her biases, but humans are inherently biased. I've always found her reports to be fair and relatively even-handed.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah Lynn is really really bad at predictions lately (it's endearing), and a bit biased like all of us (less than the rest of us here though), but in general seems like a reasonable and smart skating journalist that doesn't bring the unnecessary drama. She was really cool on the latest ice talk podcast IMO.

LarrySK8

What "family drama?" I just noticed that Gracie was hiding her body in most of the pictures.

Part One:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170528/f...er-fighting-to-get-medical-license-reinstated

Part Two:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170815/dr-carl-gold-argues-to-get-back-medical-license

Her support system has essentially collapsed. Her father is in deep trouble involving matters far more serious than figure skating.

We can only imagine some of her potential feelings - shock, anger, embarrassment, shame, cynicism, panic, sadness, fear and even guilt and hopelessness.

Goodness - Gracie and her spider-eye mascara get a pass from me this year. It will be a miracle if we even see her out there this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information