Champs Camp 2017 (Aug 19-23)

Willin

Heck, the shortage of figure skating practice ice in California (made worse with closures of rinks in LA and near SF and the rise of the popularity of hockey, which makes more profit for rinks) means that some skaters here are practicing on public sessions occasionally and freestyle sessions are allowed to be more crowded. I've personally seen Polina do it a few times, especially when what is usually freestyles is turned into holiday season public sessions. I don't know what San Jose's actual limit is on freestyle sessions, but one session Polina was practicing on easily had 30+ skaters buzzing about plus another 5-10 coaches! That's a bit much to train on.
I always think that stuff like Champs Camp and competition practice ice must be such a relief after that - there's much fewer skaters per practice.

Debbie S

Chiming in to say that yes, elite skaters train (and grow up training) on regular freestyle sessions. In some cases, depending on the rink and coach, there may be large blocks of ice time, during the day when no one else would be skating, that are set aside for the elite skaters. Some training centers have particular sessions restricted to certain levels (i.e. Novice or higher) or discipline (i.e. dance-only), but they are not necessarily restricted to elite skaters or any one coach's students. It depends on how many elites are training there and what the other demands for ice time are. Many top skaters don't do a full day of school (or are home schooled/distance learning) in order to take advantage of less crowded FS sessions, but those sessions aren't necessarily restricted by level, they are just less crowded b/c other skaters are at school or work.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Well, people who need people would perform their short no matter what, and are the luckiest people in the world. :barrel

I don't want to think that she can't do a SP right now and that's the real reason, while Caroline Zhang has 0 GP events, but... :shuffle: first be a person who needs people. :yawn:

Willin

I think if Gracie can skate a LP she can skate a SP, so I really hope it's that she scrapped her Streisand SP and not something else.

But if she is that out of shape, give it to Zhang - she is in shape if the summer's anything to go by.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I'm wondering if something more serious is going on with Gracie. I know there's been family drama and now it seems like she just isn't ready at all for the season.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What "family drama?" I just noticed that Gracie was hiding her body in most of the pictures.
She was quite out of shape during SOI. Landed nothing more than a couple of double jumps over two programs, and had trouble keeping up in the group numbers. I was there in San Jose.

Willin

Honestly, I could see Gracie being out of shape in the spring, and based on the SoI footage/reports it sounded like she was. BUT, despite her public persona Gracie is very competitive and determined, so I'm not counting her out at all. If anything, I think she'll come back a lot stronger if she keeps going past this season - and even then I'm waiting to reserve judgement for this season until I see her on competition ice.

Reactions: RD

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
What "family drama?" I just noticed that Gracie was hiding her body in most of the pictures.

Her dad was an anesthesiologist and had his medical license revoked sometime within the last year. That probably has had financial and emotional impact on Gracie and the rest of her family, I mean how could it not?

I'm not saying it's an excuse for her not being ready for this season or having a tough last season, but it provides context that might explain some of her struggles. Also her sister is still in California and they are best friends. Plus I think this is the first time she's not living with her mom. All that stuff combined could have made her distracted, depressed, not motivated, etc. kind of seems like a "perfect storm" situation to me.

Anyways I just hope she gets better soon. She deserves to be happy.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I would like to add there is literally no evidence that Gracie did not skate her SP at CC. It is one tweet from TSL, who almost certainly weren't there.

EDIT: So where are all these photos of "Gracie hiding her body"? I've seen none of that, either.

Last edited:

bardtoob

EDIT: So where are all these photos of "Gracie hiding her body"? I've seen none of that, either.

I saw one suspicious comment saying the same thing on Facebook. I think it is somebody just trying to cause trouble, and I don't think Gracie needs it.

Her dad was an anesthesiologist and had his medical license revoked sometime within the last year. That probably has had financial and emotional impact on Gracie and the rest of her family, I mean how could it not?

I read a newspaper article from news local to Gracie's father, and it sounds like the trouble started in the fall of 2015. Maybe this gives some insight into Gracie's skating troubles, and it has nothing to do with competitive mindset, coaching, etc.

Gracie earned the right to be at the Champs Camp, and I am glad she was able to be in a supportive environment. I hope she can regroup, and eventually be who she wants to be.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I saw one suspicious comment saying the same thing on Facebook. I think it is somebody just trying to cause trouble, and I don't think Gracie needs it.

IT IS VERY CREEPY THAT SOMEBODY EXPLICITLY ASKED WHY THEY COULD NOT SEE GRACIE'S BODY!?!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
IT IS VERY CREEPY THAT SOMEBODY EXPLICITLY ASKED WHY THEY COULD NOT SEE GRACIE'S BODY!?!
Well, yes and no. There has been a good deal of speculation about whether or not she will be in physical shape for the season after seeing her this summer. The pictures just add to the speculation

Debbie S

:rolleyes:

Plenty of skaters in that group picture were sitting/standing behind others. And there were other skaters who weren't featured on the various social media sites in full body poses - I don't see speculation about their bodies. There was a cute vid of Gracie and Jason acting silly and waving flags (and Jason wearing a red/white/blue pompom wig) that showed her standing up, if that would quell people. :rolleyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Lynn Rutherford discusses Champs Camp with Nick McCarvel on the latest episode of IceTalk: Listen Up!

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Some tidbits:
They discuss B. Boitano's keynote speech with Peggy Fleming & their Q&A with the athletes;

USFS' selection process for the upcoming season; Rutherford: "Because you're on the podium at U.S. Nationals doesn't necessarily mean you will get to go to the Olympics, or to Worlds."

A run-down of the disciplines - Rutherford: "Karen Chen and Mirai Nagasu are ready... Karen is taking the reins of her career. She is coming into her own."

The interview with Rutherford is interspersed with audio remarks from skaters at Champs Camp.
Karen Chen: "At Four Continents people were doubting me... I [realized] it doesn't matter what people think. I know that I can skate [and] I will be able to do clean programs."

Ashley Wagner: "I'm going into this season ... to be an Olympic medalist."

Rutherford: "Ashley's focusing on [developing] intricate entrances and exits to more of her jumps... She's working on improving her spins to [narrow] the gap [on that element] between her and Karen Chen... Ashley said that Karen's spinning ability has forced her to up her game."

Rutherford: "Nathan is taking the astronomical leap in attention he's receiving in stride, and he's enjoying it... I don't think he will be done in by pressure or expectations..."

Nick McCarvel: "I wish I could be as cool as Nathan Chen."

Rutherford: "The Shibutanis seem to have this great organizational ability... synthesizing working with different people to get what they need. Marina says ten times a day, 'Discipline gets results...'"

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
A very interesting discussion by Rutherford and McCarvel. Lots of buzz and excitement. I just wish there were more than a stingy handful of opportunities for such depth of talent among our athletes. We all have our faves, and there are skaters I root for more than others, but I wish them all well -- health and the best results they could hope for after putting in all the hard work. :saint:

It will be fascinating to see what the Dubreuil/Lauzon/Haguenauer camp are coming up with in Montreal. Rutherford hinted that each of M-F Dubreuil's top teams came to Dubreuil with a different set of ideas that Dubreuil is "accommodating."

I know IceTalk only has so much on-air time and the hosts/guests can't cover everyone, but I wish more time would be given to skaters other than just the top status quo favorites when it comes to discussing where athletes are at with their progress and what their chances are.

For a minute there, I didn't think McCarvel/Rutherford were going to cover pairs at all. Although they did give it a scant 4 to 5 minutes, it's too bad they rushed through the pairs, and barely mentioned the teams challenging the so-called 'front-runner' Knierims. C/T, D/F, and C/S were not mentioned, and K/O were mentioned almost as an afterthought. Very little was said about the Knierims, but at least they were profiled more substantially than any other pairs team.

I realize this lack of serious attention for pairs is because our pairs teams aren't considered as competitive, but that 'bottom of the barrel' approach only seems to foster the notion that U.S. pairs teams can't improve, and I don't feel that's the case. Please put more time and energy into developing U.S. pairs, please USFS! C/L and S-D/B were mentioned briefly, but nothing meaty or substantial. It seems the pecking order (from this rundown) is Knierims; C/L & S-D/B, and K/O. But IMO, hopefully other teams will push to make an impact.

Meanwhile, in ice dance, McCarvel & Rutherford only discussed the top three veteran teams, which I understand, but the battle for 4-6 at U.S. Nationals will be just as hard fought and exciting!

There definitely needs to be a weekly video round-up show about figure skating that is fresh, innovative, inclusive, entertaining, upbeat and informative. Why is figure skating coverage so lacking and so far behind-the-times? Of course, I'm thankful for the little there is (IceNetwork/IceTalk and Goldenskate do a good job , and I enjoyed Scott Hamilton's broadcasts last season). I believe that with vision and imagination, there should be opportunities to offer so much more in-depth coverage to fans and to skaters.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Figure skating coverage is so far behind the times because of $$$. I doubt they make very much for the ice talk show, and people need to make money to keep their lives going. It's sad but that's the reality of it. A lot of people dedicate their time to this sport for little pay, and do it more from being a fan than a great paying job. You can make better money elsewhere than you can in figure skating media (if that's your profession).

Japan is totally on it though and ahead of everybody else. :respec:

Super happy to hear their rundown on Champs Camp, especially the Karen/Mirai/Ashley tidbits! :cheer:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Figure skating coverage is so far behind the times because of $$$. I doubt they make very much for the ice talk show, and people need to make money to keep their lives going. It's sad but that's the reality of it. A lot of people dedicate their time to this sport for little pay, and do it more from being a fan than a great paying job. You can make better money elsewhere than you can in figure skating media (if that's your profession).

Japan is totally on it though and ahead of everybody else. :respec:

Super happy to hear their rundown on Champs Camp, especially the Karen/Mirai/Ashley tidbits! :cheer:

Yep, that's definitely it in a nutshell @Karpenko. And I don't see that sad fact changing much anytime soon. So as you say, it's fans who have the ideas and end up doing a lot of coverage and sharing with other fans, in conjunction with the social media that's available today. And thanks to all the enterprising fans (& some former skaters) who do so much to fill in those gaps: Claire, Figure Skaters Online, Two for the Ice, The Finer Sports blog, Sylvia, Ryan (@N_Halifax), Scott H, formerly Allison Manley (her podcast is still a treasure trove), Audrey Weisiger and the great work she's done to foster young athletes and help to grow the sport, (very good broadcast coverage by Ryan Bradley, Tanith & Charlie, Ben Agosto), P.J. Kwong, Jackie Wong, other fs bloggers and podcasters, TSL at it's viable best, Goldenskate, The Blade Boys, you @Karpenko :D, FSU, et al. And IN which really needs to up it's game. I do appreciate McCarvel and he seems very passionate about skating, but obviously he probably makes more money covering tennis (which he also seems to love). Phil Hersh, Christine Brennan, Lynn Rutherford et al, are appreciated as well.

Right, we all know that Japan, China, and South Korea are where the money is these days in figure skating (especially Japan). Russia is where the skating community tends to genuflect due to the vaunted success of many esteemed coaches, and many technically proficient and elegant athletes (bolstered by a famed cultural tradition of ballet and theatre).

Last edited:

bardtoob

Well, yes and no. There has been a good deal of speculation about whether or not she will be in physical shape for the season after seeing her this summer. The pictures just add to the speculation

It is creepy, and the speculation only exists because the creepy question was asked.

Be very wary of being willing to accept and give in to what is demanded by others.

Frida80

I hope Mirai gets that second senior b that she wants!

Why wouldn't she get a second senior B? She's gotten two every year. Technically, USFS never fills their all their slots because they can have three spots per country. Mirai needs extra practice her 3A and those extra WS points will help as well. I hope she gets it too.

GullyGirl84

Why wouldn't she get a second senior B? She's gotten two every year. Technically, USFS never fills their all their slots because they can have three spots per country. Mirai needs extra practice her 3A and those extra WS points will help as well. I hope she gets it too.

She has done two for the past few years (and in the 2015-16 season, she only had one GP assignment), but it looks like before that, she was getting one per year. I remember Mirai saying something in an interview (or article?) last year that because she was on the 2016 US world team, she got two Senior B assignments (implying that you automatically could get the two if you were on the world team) but no one could find a rule about that or was sure how that worked in terms of assignments, so maybe it was something unofficial or something that just "helped" you get assignments.

I agree that if someone like Ashley opts never to do Senior Bs-and Lynn seemed to confirm in the new Ice Talk podcast Ashley does not plan to do a Senior B this season, but will fit in a club competition- that it would be great if Mirai got another assignment. I remember Karen got 2 Senior B assignments the 2015-16 season (but she was only on the Jr World team the year before, due to her age), and Mariah had only had 1 GP assignment last year, but was able to do 3 Senior Bs. Here's to hoping that Karen, Mirai, and Mariah all show up strong at the US Classic- though I hope all the "body of work" talk in terms of the Olympic selection committee doesn't lead to people peaking too quickly in the season.

Also, Lynn's "time is a precious commodity" when speaking in reference to the season and Gracie Gold/Champs Camp sounded pretty cryptic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information