Champs Camp 2017 (Aug 19-23)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Why wouldn't she get a second senior B? She's gotten two every year. Technically, USFS never fills their all their slots because they can have three spots per country. Mirai needs extra practice her 3A and those extra WS points will help as well. I hope she gets it too.

I just hope anyone who wants a B gets them and that they are indeed used to up their ISU standings!!!!

As far as Ashley opting out of any B's...Molly you in danger girl. She needs as many practice competitions as she can get especially after last years < and << festival

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I have a feeling Mirai and Tom want to Tuk 2014-2015 it this season.
They may want to but until and unless they do something to increase Mirai's speed, it ain't gonna happen. The judges love and demand speed, and Mirai lacks it.

If Mirai skates well she has the potential to land on the podium at lesser international events, but it would take an implosion the likes of which we've never seen in a championship competition for Mirai to become World champion. 3A or no, there are too many ladies with stronger all around skills.

VGThuy

They may want to but until and unless they do something to increase Mirai's speed, it ain't gonna happen. The judges love and demand speed, and Mirai lacks it.

If Mirai skates well she has the potential to land on the podium at lesser international events, but it would take an implosion the likes of which we've never seen in a championship competition for Mirai to become World champion. 3A or no, there are too many ladies with stronger all around skills.

I was just talking about her schedule and doing every competition she can get her hands on.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Ah, ok - that makes sense. And I would love to see Mirai have a great season, and could see her hitting it at a Grand Prix or 4CC.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I have a feeling Mirai and Tom want to Tuk 2014-2015 it this season.
Yes i just think it might be a little hard for her to get that many assignment because she is doing the first gp of the series so really she would need to be assigned to germany otherwise she will be traveling all over the place and lost training time. I guess she could get golden spin after the gp series but ideally she would make the gpf at the same time.

bardtoob

:ds1:

That Nagasu has talent isn't a question. She covers the ice quicker and easier than other skaters — "she can go like a bat out of hell from one end of the rink to the other and doesn't know why or how it happened," Carroll said — and has the kind of gorgeous lines that make everything look effortless.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/rebellion-over-nagasu-keeps-focus-on-vancouver-1.1597651

Willin

Mirai's really fast and gets great ice coverage (as evidenced by her running into walls on jumps and even being tripped by one during a transition at Nationals a couple years back). Even if she didn't, she's working hard on it - as evidenced by videos and interviews of her training with Tom Z. Recently I've noticed she's going into jumps slower, but that might be a strategy to keep her from getting into those walls or a result of her telegraphing them more (like the 3A).

As for Gracie's body - it's always creepy and inappropriate to comment on a girl's weight, no matter what the circumstances are.

BittyBug

Disgusted
That article is from 2009 - 8 years ago. The young Mirai had a lot of speed; the mature Mirai does not. I've seen her many times in person and she is simply not a speed demon currently.
Mirai's really fast and gets great ice coverage (as evidenced by her running into walls on jumps and even being tripped by one during a transition at Nationals a couple years back).
Running into walls and being fast are not the same.

bardtoob

That article is from 2009 - 8 years ago. The young Mirai had a lot of speed; the mature Mirai does not. I've seen her many times in person and she is simply not a speed demon currently.

If a skater never had speed, then it is one thing. If a skater had speed and now appears slow, it is another. Mirai can go fast, and she did 6 months ago in competition in the 4CC LP.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Yea, I watched that performance many times. Speed isn't why she hit the wall.

And clearly she was faster in 08 and 09.

Anywhoo I think Mirai will make a run for the whole sche-bang this year!!!! EXCITED!!!!!

She is so focused and really she never falls down!!!! Her 3 axels are looking excellent. I think she could even take her US title back. I just hope she isn't last to skate if she makes final flight.

Willin

Slower skaters stay away from the walls because they can't get good ice coverage but still need to get it somehow. The easiest way to get ice coverage without speed is to stay more towards the center of the ice and away from the walls. Faster skaters can cover the ice while having wide patterns, so they're more likely to hit walls. For fast skaters, you also need more room so you don't run into a wall on a jump - so a wide, wall-hugging pattern is necessitated.

While I would agree she was faster when younger and got a lot slower during the middle of her career, since going to Tom Z her speed has been much improved - not to young Mirai levels, but better than pre-Sochi Mirai.

bardtoob

And clearly she was faster in 08 and 09.

I think Mirai is more cautious, like she is overthinking, which causes her to dial down her speed. To me, this goes along with that complaint that Mirai does not show emotion or sell her programs . . . In 08-09 she was not scrutinized the way she is now.

The ability to go fast is about using the right part of the blade, using more of the blade when apply force, and transferring that speed with each stroke. It does not magically disappear with age. In fact, speed is one of those few things that weight and height from growth can help if the skater already has good speed. If the skater never had good speed, then weight and height from growth will only slow the skater down.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I think Mirai's slow down is related to her conditioning. I think Mirai is in better shape now than she was in 2014 or even 2016 where it was noticeable that she couldn't sustain speed, had moments of pure extended stand stills, and was sort of messy transitioning in-between her moves.

bardtoob

I think Mirai's slow down is related to her conditioning. I think Mirai is in better shape now than she was in 2014 . . .

I think you are right. Her athletic conditioning could effect her speed, which is unrelated to the skill needed to go fast.

And, of course, in 2014 Mirai was coachless and basically just doing nearby freestyle sessions. It is a credit to her talent that she could pull off 3rd at Nationals with only that. Mirai certainly made it hard for people to forget her.

BittyBug

Disgusted
The ability to go fast is about using the right part of the blade, using more of the blade to apply force, and transferring that speed with each stroke. It does not magically disappear with age. In fact, speed is one of those few things that weight and height from growth can help if the skater already has good speed. If the skater never had good speed, then weight and height from growth will only slow the skater down.
It depends on what you are doing. It is very easy to hack speed with less that perfect technique when doing simple steps (like crossovers). I could point you to a few men who fit this category - they shoot out of the gate but cannot maintain speed on more difficult edgework. Also, speed absolutely can diminish with age - it all depends on how one's body changes over time. Yes, height and weight can increase power which can contribute to speed, but it is not a given.

bardtoob

I could point you to a few men who fit this category - they shoot out of the gate but cannot maintain speed on more difficult edgework. Also, speed absolutely can diminish with age - it all depends on how one's body changes over time. Yes, height and weight can increase power which can contribute to speed, but it is not a given.

Be the nay sayer that you are, but I have seen different . . . :ds1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgkkALBr4mE&feature=youtu.be&t=9

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The ability to go fast is about using the right part of the blade, using more of the blade when apply force, and transferring that speed with each stroke. It does not magically disappear with age. In fact, speed is one of those few things that weight and height from growth can help if the skater already has good speed. If the skater never had good speed, then weight and height from growth will only slow the skater down.

I'm reminded of something Frank Carroll said about her when they first started working together. Something to the effect of "she can zoom end to end as fast as (??? something really fast) but she doesn't know why."

If that is true, then that inability to go fast deliberately, with purpose, has probably been frustrating for her.

Sylvia

TBD
Did anyone see the team building activity last night on snapchat?

ETA names:

All 4 teams are pictured (click/swipe right): https://www.instagram.com/p/BYL5Nc6FKz4/?hl=en&taken-by=usfigureskating
Team 1: Chris, Alexa, Adam, Max, Rachel, Michael, Madison H., Mariah, Mirai... ETA: Zach, who I thought was missing, is lying on the floor, under Alexa :D (thanks, @blancanieves!).

Team 2: https://twitter.com/KaitlinHawayek/status/900557476034207744
Bradie, Timothy L., Ashley C., Kaitlin, Madison C., Ross, Evan, Karen, Jean-Luc, Nathan.

Polina's photo of her team 3 (same photo as in first link above): https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/900785131337662464
Elliana, Alex B., Grant, Maia, Alex S., Deanna, Nate, Gracie, Tarah, Danny, Polina.

Team 4 (same photo as in first link above): https://www.instagram.com/p/BYMCsccAsCt/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010
Vincent, Marissa, Mervin, Brandon, Haven, Ashley, Jason, Lorraine, Quinn.

Last edited:

bardtoob

aftershocks

Banned Member
... too many ladies with stronger all around skills.

While I agree with much of what you said, I totally do not believe Mirai doesn't have very strong all-around skills comparable with the top ladies in the world. Mirai is extremely talented as a figure skater. What has held her back IMO, is not having been able so far to put it altogether big time in competition, and therefore being saddled with some negative rep that has had her fed being tepid re full and unwavering support. Mirai was an amazing up-and-comer with so much talent and potential. But if you have personal issues off the ice, if things don't come together for you with the right coach to guide you early in your career, and if your maturity as a person lags behind, you will face difficult challenges in building rep and capitalizing on momentum.

Personally, I thought it was premature to reward Mirai the U.S. National championship in 2008 because she was too young to attend Worlds and psychologically it ended up being huge pressure for her to carry that championship mantle. However, looking back, Mirai did compete that year better than everyone else, so in that sense she deserved the win. It's incredible that she hasn't won another U.S. gold medal, especially when I think of her great showing at 2010 Olympics. But apparently Mirai was unfortunate during that time in not having the right mindset nor the right coach (for her) to get the job done immediately post-2010 Olympics. As a result (and due to other complicated factors), Mirai began to wear out USFS' belief in her, which has taken a long time to repair and rebuild. Everything has not been all Mirai's fault, of course, but the best way to show TPTB you will not be denied, is to do just that!

The table was set for Mirai at 2017 U.S. Nationals, and she came very close, but no cigar. Did she learn from that experience, or is she content to grab medals at secondary competitions? Mirai definitely has more than the 3-axel under her belt. With Tom Z's support, Mirai has come into her own. It's just that apparently there are still many doubters and naysayers among USFS. For her part, Mirai definitely needs to show more confidence and self-belief in competition and signal that she has more of a killer instinct. She needs to be more fully engaged and committed to her choreo (and that aspect of her skating is improving). She does need to work on managing her speed, but she's seemed to have conquered her under-rotations, and frankly there has been way too much inaccurate nitpicking re 'presumed' URs. I think sometimes judges overuse downgrading on close calls in order to manipulate placements. And when you get labeled with UR rep, it's often a struggle to change people's minds, even when you've skated completely clean.

Mirai is not in the position of Kaetlyn Osmond (positive rep despite nerves and some inconsistencies partly due to coming back from injury in 2015-16). Osmond has an edge in speed and power over Mirai, but Mirai has some very high class abilities, particularly as a spinner. As others have pointed out too, Mirai does have good speed, but it's a matter of her managing it effectively and maintaining it consistently throughout her performances. Plus, Mirai's jumping skills are nothing to sneeze at, especially with the improvements she's made under Tom Z. What Osmond has more-so over Mirai is a strong federation politically, that is 110% behind her with full hype & promo, and ISU judges very willing to get on board. OTOH, Mirai has grown more and more each year she's been with Tom Z, and she does have some opportunities this season along with the ability to shine and to :kickass:. But she's got to be steady and purposeful in trying to build rep and make a :kickass: statement if she wants to be seen as a major medal contender. Most of all, she's got to know what she wants and go after it all the way. Not being given enough support and cred by your fed can be an issue, but it can be overcome by strong motivation, a confident sense of purpose, and strength of will.

At this point, I think Karen as U.S. National champ, is more fully backed politically. But then Karen did show up with a sense of purpose and strong programs at 2017 Nationals. Also, Karen is seeming to thrive and prosper after the hurdles she faced at 4CCs in February. But no U.S. lady has built up so much cred yet as to be seen as the definitive front-runner at Nationals. I think skaters are taking the fall GP campaign very seriously in regard to #DestinationPyeongchang!

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Did anyone see the team building activity last night on snapchat?

ETA names:

All 4 teams are pictured (click/swipe right): https://www.instagram.com/p/BYL5Nc6FKz4/?hl=en&taken-by=usfigureskating
Team 1: Chris, Alexa, Adam, Max, Rachel, Michael, Madison H., Mariah, Mirai... ETA: Zach, who I thought was missing, is lying on the floor, under Alexa :D (thanks, @blancanieves!).

Team 2: https://twitter.com/KaitlinHawayek/status/900557476034207744
Bradie, Timothy L., Ashley C., Kaitlin, Madison C., Ross, Evan, Karen, Jean-Luc, Nathan.

Polina's photo of her team 3 (same photo as in first link above): https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/900785131337662464
Elliana, Alex B., Grant, Maia, Alex S., Deanna, Nate, Gracie, Tarah, Danny, Polina.

Team 4 (same photo as in first link above): https://www.instagram.com/p/BYMCsccAsCt/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010
Vincent, Marissa, Mervin, Brandon, Haven, Ashley, Jason, Lorraine, Quinn.

SO nice to see this.

How long has Champs Camp been around for?

I can't recall seeing Kristi and like Nancy and Tonya doing this..... LOL...

Wow, I may have to add that Brandon Frazier to my emergency back up @kittysk8ts

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
How long has Champs Camp been around for?
Since 2007 - here was the first press release:

TOP U.S. SKATERS ATTEND CHAMPS CAMP IN COLORADO SPRINGS
(6/27/07) - United States Team A and B envelope athletes gathered at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., June 23-24, for the first U.S. Figure Skating Champs Camp. Spearheaded by Senior Director of Athlete High Performance Mitch Moyer and U.S. Teams Coordinator Julie Schmitz, the camp brought together the nation's top athletes, their coaches and a few athletic trainers for about 10 hours of informative seminars.

Coach John Nicks kicked off the weekend with a keynote address, followed by all attendees plunging into the seminars with a presentation on flexibility and recovery by Bill Sands of the U.S. Olympic Committee. Presentations were also given on nutrition, career services, planning, performance enhancement and tracking, funding, travel, doping and insurance. SKATING magazine was also on hand for photo shoots and interviews for upcoming issues.

---

Starting in 2010, Champs Camp was moved to August and has focused on the skaters with Grand Prix assignments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information