Champs Camp 2017 (Aug 19-23)

Teamgracie

Not making a big deal out of anything, just stating that things aren't always factual so let's not comment about someone's motivation when we have no idea. when Gracie made the olympics she was not in any way expected to win a gold medal, she just got a lot of media attention because she ended up doing better than any of the others. I wish her well, she deserves some happiness and peace.

Meoima

Part One:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170528/f...er-fighting-to-get-medical-license-reinstated

Part Two:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170815/dr-carl-gold-argues-to-get-back-medical-license

Her support system has essentially collapsed. Her father is in deep trouble involving matters far more serious than figure skating.

We can only imagine some of her potential feelings - shock, anger, embarrassment, shame, cynicism, panic, sadness, fear and even guilt and hopelessness.

Goodness - Gracie and her spider-eye mascara get a pass from me this year. It will be a miracle if we even see her out there this year.
I feel sad for Gracie. Hopefully she will be happy. It doesn't need to be skating. She can do anything.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Part One:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170528/f...er-fighting-to-get-medical-license-reinstated

Part Two:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170815/dr-carl-gold-argues-to-get-back-medical-license

Her support system has essentially collapsed. Her father is in deep trouble involving matters far more serious than figure skating.

We can only imagine some of her potential feelings - shock, anger, embarrassment, shame, cynicism, panic, sadness, fear and even guilt and hopelessness.

Goodness - Gracie and her spider-eye mascara get a pass from me this year. It will be a miracle if we even see her out there this year.

Maybe you could present all of your creepy invasive feelings to Jerry Springer or Ricki Lake and they can do a TV special on it. This stuff is nobodies effing business!

Jason is improving his editing :D cute vlog

aftershocks

Banned Member
Somebody is making a big deal about Lynn saying time is running out for Gracie but not for Polina

BTW, who was making 'a big deal'? If you are referring to me, I was responding to someone else and I simply quoted what Rutherford said. Then I happened to notice Rutherford had said Polina 'has time,' contrasted by Rutherford saying "time is a precious commodity" when she spoke about Gracie. However, I didn't complain that it was any kind of big deal, nor was it really a direct comparison being made by Rutherford. She spoke about each lady individually, not as opposed to each other.

I simply noted the phrasing and I emphasized that there's a 3-year age difference between Polina & Gracie so in that sense, there is a minor difference in terms of 'time.' Also, Gracie has previously indicated that this might be her last season, so time is a factor too if that's the case. However, I mainly noted that the matter of time is less important than each lady knowing what they want and going after it with confidence. So, nope, the difference in Rutherford's comments about 'time,' is not a big deal IMO.

I agree with you that Rutherford's comments are fair and informative.

Last edited:

bardtoob

If you are referring to me . . .

I wasn't referring to you. You know I would have probably quoted you if I was referring to you. ... I actually figured you saw that somewhere else (that I also saw).

Anywho . . . I hope Gracie does well at the Challenger Series Competition next month. That will be when we really know what we can expect from her this season.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Okay, I lost the flow of the thread, or else something's missing. But not important. Thanks. ;)

I don't know if this was posted previously. But here's a 2017-18 Champs Camp intro montage (not specifically about Champs camp, but about how the skaters have grown over the past five years, from 2012 - 2017). Reminiscent of someone else's razmatazz spectacular montages. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfxrORB-qgc

Last edited:

bardtoob

I don't know if this was posted previously.

I have been making the mistake of reading comment fields on direct websites and Facebook (ie the weird, creepy, comment about Gracie I referenced to (and disapproved of) in this thread, etc.)

Bellanca

Lynn is correct, as much as fans may not want to hear it, it is true. Time is running out for plenty of skaters. Sometimes they see the writing on the wall and retire, sometimes they don't. Gracie, for example, really needs this to be her year especially if this is it for her. Lynn's predictions have (at different times) been way off the mark, true, but if one is considering and looking at the big picture, she gets it right more often than not. Lynn R. is basically stating the obvious.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Ah, but we never know do we @Weve3! Time is a pesky critter, which can be perceived in different ways by different people under a variety of different circumstances. On the surface yes, time can be precious according to how an athlete manages it, uses it, etc.

Truth be told, a lot of skating careers are presumed to be over, and skaters deemed out of time and out of luck. But many skaters persevere and turn things around. Adam; Ashley W; Deanna Stellato (in amazing 17-year comeback fashion); Ashley C has been rejuvenated as a pairs skater with Timothy LeDuc after her options seemed limited in singles and nonexistent in pairs; Caroline Zhang has been written off numerous times and bounced back; Grant has persevered to make the World team when he could have packed it in years ago before finally breaking into the top five at Nationals; Carolina Kostner's career was thought to be ended first by retirement and then by her legal troubles; Mao Asada experienced so many challenges and courageously prevailed; Mirai has been dismissed, rejected and underestimated, and now she's coming into her own with maturity, improved performance abilities and boffo 3-axel under a coach who believes in her and guides her well. And so on and so on.

We just never know, do we? :D And that's why we watch! :watch:

I think the most important thing for Gracie is to enjoy herself this season and to treat every experience like icing on the cake. She needs to figure out for herself what she wants, without worrying at all about fans' expectations, critiques, and pronouncements. It's entirely possible if Gracie feels the need to obtain a new lease on her life in skating that she might continue another season or so. Whatever she decides, it's not a life or death matter, nor a final ultimatum matter.

Last edited:

Bellanca

^^ Do me a favor, will ya?! Frame this post, it's a beauty, and send it to the USFSA, the biggest write off offenders out there... If only to remind them that occasionally removing one's head from one's a$$ is considered progress. Let's see who they write off this season, shall we?! :EVILLE: :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ :lol: You can frame and send it for me if you will. And thanks for the compliment. :)

Yes, sadly politics is always a factor in life. But we each do have control over a great deal of what happens to us, when we know what we want and can make things happen in the direction we desire. Yes, so many skaters could pack it in from all of the rejection they receive. And sometimes leaving the sport on one's own terms some skaters find to be the best choice for them, depending upon the circumstances (injury, finances, training situation, etc). Obviously, it's never an easy decision.

Tough skin, optimism and self-belief is required, as well as good mentors , good luck, hard work, and confidence.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Jason's message shared via his Twitter & Instagram today (his photo with Gracie, Grant, Tarah & Danny): https://www.instagram.com/p/BYZFlcBA58_/?hl=en&taken-by=jasonbskates

Tarah's reply: https://twitter.com/TarahKayne/status/902639676649078785

And for those who might not even feel like clicking, Jason posted:

Life isn't always easy. We fall, we struggle, we fail, we get criticized, and we make mistakes...but we always get up and are there for each other when we try again! #WeGetUp

Danny also retweeted the tweet, and several skaters, including Gracie, "liked" the Instagram version:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYZFlcBA58_/?taken-by=jasonbskates

I don't think *anyone* could say Jason doesn't practice what he preaches:D

Willin

Sometimes I wonder how sick of the cheesy marketing the skaters get. I was rolling my eyes at the Get Up campaign as soon as the announcement dropped, but having to promote it would be annoying. (Then again, I assume that Jason Brown is genuinely happy to promote it because what isn't he enthused about?)

And yeah, Gracie's looking great in all those Champs Camp pics. She has such a great smile, and I'm so happy to see her sharing it on social media more this off season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
:lol: AW should take her own advice and practice what she preaches. ;) :sekret:

But ummm, who has Ashley W not been nice to @Weve3? You? :lol: Dave? :rofl: Ashley's known for being a sportsman toward her competitors, which has zip to do with her speaking honestly during interviews. I've never heard Ashley trash any of her competitors. The by now ancient 'sonogram' comment was a joke directed toward the clueless media.

Gracie, "liked" the Instagram version

I'm sure Gracie likes what Jason said, but I believe her actual tag is graciegold95, not graciegold195?

Last edited:

Bellanca

But ummm, who has Ashley W not been nice to @Weve3? You? :lol: Ashley's known for being a sportsman toward her competitors, which has zip to do with her speaking honestly during interviews. I've never heard Ashley trash any of her competitors. The by now ancient 'sonogram' comment was a joke directed toward the clueless media.
Your comment... :rolleyes: Well, they say ignorance is bliss... Believe what you will. Carry on, as I know you will! :duh: :watch:

Willin

@aftershocks Ashley may be a mature, nice, great human being now (and I don't doubt it - she seems like a great role model for younger skaters right now), but during her late teenage years and maybe into her early 20s she had quite the reputation to the point that a lot of coaches who met her then still hate her to this day. I've heard she's since gotten much nicer off the ice, but that her and Gracie are so intense/focused during training that they can come off the wrong way, particularly if they were having a rough patch of practices.
Maybe @Weve3 met her during that time of her life or during a frustrating time for her?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Your comment... :rolleyes: Well, they say ignorance is bliss... Believe what you will. Carry on, as I know you will! :duh: :watch:

^^ Eh, you sound snifflingly like a crybaby. Did Ash kick your dog or something? You've got your cliches mixed-up for sure. Even if I perceived Ash as not being nice to me, I certainly wouldn't act out about her sticking up for herself and her fellow skaters. And stop co-opting my turns of phrase... :duh: :revenge:

Sometimes I wonder how sick of the cheesy marketing the skaters get. I was rolling my eyes at the Get Up campaign

There's nothing wrong with skaters getting behind this campaign and believing in it. Certainly the campaign is not the answer to all the fed's problems that need to be addressed on behalf of the sport and the athletes. However, I do believe the inspirational ('cheesy' to you) message can be effective and beneficial. Jason is the perfect role model and spokesperson, especially the way he courageously battled this past season, particularly at Nationals and Worlds! :cheer2:

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I'm sure Gracie likes what Jason said, but I believe her actual tag is graciegold95, not graciegold195?

Yes, she is "95", complete with the little "check". "Gracie with the check" is in (or was two hours ago) with the 2800 other likes. There were a lot less than 2800 when I first saw it, so I'm not going back over it now:lol:

The GG195 who *commented* on Jason's post is, AFAIK, a fan page. And a bit misleading if you ask me, they should just call themselves a fan site. But no one asked me:D

aftershocks

Banned Member
... her and Gracie are so intense/focused during training that they can come off the wrong way, particularly if they were having a rough patch of practices.

And soooo? Everybody is not an angel. That's why it might pay personal dividends to be kind or at least to try. ;) Personally, I give as I get, especially around here!

Your characterization of Gracie and Ashley W though makes me smile. That's what Ash said recently: "Gracie and I are the same person."

I've noticed first-hand Ashley's no-nonsense intensity during warm-ups. She's a tough cookie. I think she has had to be in order to have accomplished all that she's achieved after being taken for granted early in her career and then being written off by TPTB, and eventually storming back on the strength of her own will and desire.

No excuses for @Weve3 who should come clean about any direct dealings with Ash Swag. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information