Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Vase

Turned 15 a couple of weeks ago. Brooke grew several inches in the past year or so, and while still around the 5’ mark apparently still can land her triple jumps so the growth she has experienced so far hasn’t derailed her jumping ability.
I agree, growth hasn’t affected her much. She still has a little girl appearance, so I’m sure we’ll see more growth from her. And her parents are quite tall, not an average 5’7 and dad appears over 6ft.

Xsktrx

While I have never seen Brooke’s younger sister who is maybe 12 or 13 I heard she is already taller and bigger than Brooke so it may not be an automatic that Brooke will be that tall. And even if she grew another 4 or 5 inches if she stays more on the slight build side with her athletic ability she could easily do pairs at a senior level with the correct height partner.

Canada33

I agree, growth hasn’t affected her much. She still has a little girl appearance, so I’m sure we’ll see more growth from her. And her parents are quite tall, not an average 5’7 and dad appears over 6ft.
Junior pair girls like Patricia, Audrey & Brooke are all growing teenagers and only time will tell. In the volatile pair world partnerships guaranteed to change over time based on growth, abilities, commitment, etc.

Vase

While I have never seen Brooke’s younger sister who is maybe 12 or 13 I heard she is already taller and bigger than Brooke so it may not be an automatic that Brooke will be that tall. And even if she grew another 4 or 5 inches if she stays more on the slight build side with her athletic ability she could easily do pairs at a senior level with the correct height partner.
I agree, either way Evelyn seems taller then 5’3 and does very well. She has the jumps. Time will tell how much these younger pair girls will grow and stay committed.

Alvyne

Bev Smith interview with Deanna Stellato and Maxime Deschamps

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks, I can't wait to read! I also came across this conversation with Justin & Erin discussing U.S. pairs at 2020 U.S. Nats, during which Deanna is mentioned:

Justin Laem is a passionate figure skating fan who always offers intelligent dialogue via his Youtube account. At about 31:56 in the above video clip, Justin indicates he ran into Deanna Stellato in Mississauga and she responded to his query about how she ended up skating pairs with Maxime Deschamps in Canada. Take a listen...

Mad for Skating

^^ Thanks, I can't wait to read! I also came across this conversation with Justin & Erin discussing U.S. pairs at 2020 U.S. Nats, during which Deanna is mentioned:

Justin Laem is a passionate figure skating fan who always offers intelligent dialogue via his Youtube account. At about 31:56 in the above video clip, Justin indicates he ran into Deanna Stellato in Mississauga and she responded to his query about how she ended up skating pairs with Maxime Deschamps in Canada. Take a listen...

Justin’s videos are excellent! I find him very informative, accurate, and respectful.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Bev Smith interview with Deanna Stellato and Maxime Deschamps

I've read this article before or something similar. Is it a pick-up from something else?

This passage has me pondering:
"When Marcotte moved to Oakville for this season, Stellato and Deschamps could not follow, because Deschamps just could not leave Quebec."

Does Max have family obligations in Quebec, or he just can't bear to leave a place he loves?

Erin

Banned Member
Are you sure? Joseph Phan still represents Quebec, and he trains in Toronto.

Exactly. Plenty of skaters have trained in one place but represented another. I always remember Brodeur and Mattatall represented Nova Scotia (where he was from) rather than Quebec (where they trained and where she was from) because of better funding.

I would assume Max Deschamps simply doesn’t want to live outside of Quebec, which is totally understandable.

skatingguy

decently
Are you sure? Joseph Phan still represents Quebec, and he trains in Toronto.

Exactly. Plenty of skaters have trained in one place but represented another. I always remember Brodeur and Mattatall represented Nova Scotia (where he was from) rather than Quebec (where they trained and where she was from) because of better funding.

I would assume Max Deschamps simply doesn’t want to live outside of Quebec, which is totally understandable.
There is a difference between representing a province or territory in Skate Canada competitions & the funding avaialable from those organizations and receiving the direct funding that is available from the Government of Quebec. Joseph Phan may receive some funding from Patinage Quebec, but my understanding is that only athletes who reside & train in Quebec are eligible for direct funding from the Government of Quebec.

aftershocks

Banned Member
At 4CCs, M-T/M deserve to be in first, and I had a feeling they were going to take advantage of their huge opportunity skating last in the sp and knowing that some top teams had faltered. M-T/M show where you can get with self-belief, determination, overcoming nerves, and working on improving weaknesses. Political backing and being #1 in Canada since D/R retired is also hugely beneficial for them.

I didn't see what happened to Lubov and Charlie, but they are a new team this season and it takes time to meld (notice I'm NOT using gel). ;)

Evelyn and Trent skated well and put themselves in a decent position for what they are able to do.

Japanfan

At 4CCs, M-T/M deserve to be in first, and I had a feeling they were going to take advantage of their huge opportunity skating last in the sp and knowing that some top teams had faltered. M-T/M show where you can get with self-belief, determination, overcoming nerves, and working on improving weaknesses. Political backing and being #1 in Canada since D/R retired is also hugely beneficial for them.

I agree. I have a lot of respect for M-T/M, although I'm not particularly enamoured by them.

And am gutted for S/H, my favorites. But they should be looking to peak in 2022, in which case some losses/less-than-clean skates on the way might actually be to their benefit. I worry that their timing is not ideal in terms of Olympic cycles. I might say the same about Nathan Chen, but I'm not entirely sure that he is fully human.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I posted in Pairs general thread in Trash too about my overall impressions, which is where the conversation about S/H is best to take, if not also in the Chinese pairs thread. :)

This was a good job by M-T/M, but it ain't over till ...

I have to catch up with what happened to Luba/Charlie.

I noticed in the kiss 'n cry that Kirsten seemed excited for where Evelyn/Trent placed in the sp. I suppose she'd be happy with E&T accompanying her and Michael to Worlds over Luba and Charlie... Oh well, this is Luba/Charlie's first season so they still need to get their feet underneath them.

barbarafan

Bavarian Open
Junior pairs free program
Laurin/Ethier 1st in free- 89.75- first overall 139.71
Levesque/Hudon 2nd in free-87.13-2nd overall 139.57
so close
next up junior men free
livestream

Xsktrx

^^ I posted in Pairs general thread in Trash too about my overall impressions, which is where the conversation about S/H is best to take, if not also in the Chinese pairs thread. :)

This was a good job by M-T/M, but it ain't over till ...

I have to catch up with what happened to Luba/Charlie.

I noticed in the kiss 'n cry that Kirsten seemed excited for where Evelyn/Trent placed in the sp. I suppose she'd be happy with E&T accompanying her and Michael to Worlds over Luba and Charlie... Oh well, this is Luba/Charlie's first season so they still need to get their feet underneath them.
Watched the pairs. My concern for Luba and Charlie is not only do the jumps still evade Luba but she has struggled with the throws more than I recall than when she skated with Dylan. For the most part when she was with Dylan, you knew that the jumps probably weren’t going to be there but she was more reliable with the thows and they were lovely when she landed them, and typically, as with Charlie, the rest of the elements were great. I’m not sure if it’s a timing thing that she and Charlie have to work out but I just hope that throws haven’t become the same problem mentally for her as the jumps. They can’t afford to give away a couple of major elements every time out and hope to compete at the senior level.

barbarafan

Watched the pairs. My concern for Luba and Charlie is not only do the jumps still evade Luba but she has struggled with the throws more than I recall than when she skated with Dylan. For the most part when she was with Dylan, you knew that the jumps probably weren’t going to be there but she was more reliable with the thows and they were lovely when she landed them, and typically, as with Charlie, the rest of the elements were great. I’m not sure if it’s a timing thing that she and Charlie have to work out but I just hope that throws haven’t become the same problem mentally for her as the jumps. They can’t afford to give away a couple of major elements every time out and hope to compete at the senior level.
Both at nationals and here with Luba and Charlie the throws had no height or distance. Is it a timing issue or does Charlie have a secret upper body injury or Lubov have a leg or foot injury. Their throws were very large before.

Katta

I agree completely. One could (almost) always count on the throws when she was with Dylan. Now i'm just worried through out the program. AND it looked like Charlie almost dropped her when she came down from the lift, at least he had a stumble which definitely worried me :( I'm just so surprised that the throws are going back-wards under Gauthier... I so want them to rebound with a stellar program tomorrow and overall beat W/M and get the 2nd spot for worlds!

TygerLily

I agree completely. One could (almost) always count on the throws when she was with Dylan. Now i'm just worried through out the program. AND it looked like Charlie almost dropped her when she came down from the lift
I think what became abundantly clear to me last night and at nationals is that Dylan was a really, really good pairs partner. I already suspected that based on how long it’s taken MTM2 to get to almost MTM1’s level.

karmena

...it is exactly what Tatiana Tarasova mentioned while commenting Julianne and Charlie skating, that Charlie has to be more careful how he throws Julianne, that he has to learn how to throw such a wonderful a girl... She mentioned this more than once.

fsfann

...it is exactly what Tatiana Tarasova mentioned while commenting Julianne and Charlie skating, that Charlie has to be more careful how he throws Julianne, that he has to learn how to throw such a wonderful a girl... She mentioned this more than once.
Just curious..did you mean Julianne or Lubov? (Just wondering if that's what she said in previous seasons, or if she said it this season). Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information