Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Vase

A few words of praise from me for Matte/Ferland. These two have quite a solid foundation IMO. They are fast, they move effortlessly across the ice with lots of attack and good unison already. A dynamic and engaging pair.
I agree. Connection don’t seem to be easy.
Zachary Daleman, everyone mostly agrees he’s a great pair guy, but with previous partners lacked connection and feeling. He mentioned in an interview that his partner is able to bring him out of his shell. And until this season we’ve not saw him skate with so much expression.
I also enjoy seeing Trennt and Evelyn’s growth, they maybe are the most improved team with connection, IMO.

Erin

Banned Member
I really like Evelyn and Trennt - but if they ever decide to call it a day I'd also really like to see her do pairs with Nic Nadeau tbh

Nic’s a clockwise skater so it would have to be a mirror pair with someone like Evelyn. But I was chatting offline with someone who noticed Maddie Schizas is the perfect size for pairs...she’s also clockwise, so maybe she and Nic could team up someday if they decide they get sick of singles. She’s already sort of played a pairs skater as the jump double for Johnny Weir’s partner on Spinning Out.

RoseRed

Emmealue Proft is also a clockwise jumper and already trains with Nic
Nic posted a video of him and Emma trying sbs jumps and captioned it "If I'd be doing pairs, I'd be with her" about a year ago.

He's also posted shots of him trying lifts and other pairs stuff with Emma and other girls (including Justine Brasseur once) over the years:

Tinami Amori

(I checked last 3 pages, did not find any info).
Did this really happened at Canadian Championship, Junior Pairs - Emy Carignan - Bryan Pierro? Russian articles post that a 13-year old girl injured herself during warm-up, the partner did not catch her and she fell down directly on the ice. The partner tries to help her up and see how badly she is hurt. The camera operator takes the view away from the incident.

In the mean time, the coach interacts with the team and the pair continues to skate, doing their next moves, double twist, then a parl. 2R, then 2F throw.. The pair skates in the competition. At the end it turns out that Emy had broken wrist and knee cap. They skated the SP, but withdrew from FS.

Video of the fall:

Emy in a wheel chair with cast, after withdrawing from FS.

Bryan (her partner) made a statement (translated into english from russian text), indicating that the team knew Emy had injuries before they were allowed to skate the SP.
Мы выступили с короткой программой, несмотря на травмы Эми. Она настоящий воин.
We skated our SP, regardless of Emy's injuries. She is a real fighter.

It shows that their coach is: Marc Andre Craig, but that can be old date. Anyway.. this is very odd. And what's more ODD is that there is no media coverage of this incident.

Russian article (re-cap of the incident, with photos).

Vase

(I checked last 3 pages, did not find any info).
Did this really happened at Canadian Championship, Junior Pairs - Emy Carignan - Bryan Pierro? Russian articles post that a 13-year old girl injured herself during warm-up, the partner did not catch her and she fell down directly on the ice. The partner tries to help her up and see how badly she is hurt. The camera operator takes the view away from the incident.

In the mean time, the coach interacts with the team and the pair continues to skate, doing their next moves, double twist, then a parl. 2R, then 2F throw.. The pair skates in the competition. At the end it turns out that Emy had broken wrist and knee cap. They skated the SP, but withdrew from FS.

Video of the fall:

Emy in a wheel chair with cast, after withdrawing from FS.

Bryan (her partner) made a statement (translated into english from russian text), indicating that the team knew Emy had injuries before they were allowed to skate the SP.
Мы выступили с короткой программой, несмотря на травмы Эми. Она настоящий воин.
We skated our SP, regardless of Emy's injuries. She is a real fighter.

It shows that their coach is: Marc Andre Craig, but that can be old date. Anyway.. this is very odd. And what's more ODD is that there is no media coverage of this incident.

Russian article (re-cap of the incident, with photos).
Skate Canada has the fall videoed in the archives, it happened in the 6min warmup. It also was talked about on closing thoughts and comments on the week with TSN. Definitely wasn’t overlooked.
I’m just amazed she was aloud to compete the short program.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Tinami, passing mention was made in the broadcast, and I didn't catch everything Rod Black mentioned. They shared she had the two injuries from a fall, and they withdrew, but nothing further?

That's awful if she skated injured pre-planned. :(

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I just heard about the junior pairs, Emy Carignan and Bryan Pierro, cleared to compete at Canadians after she was clearly injured during the short program warm-up.

What the heck is happening in this sport? This is not the Hunger Games.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I just heard about the junior pairs, Emy Carignan and Bryan Pierro-Emy, cleared to compete at Canadians after she was clearly injured during the short program warm-up.
The impression I got was that they thought she had pain in her leg, but didn't suspect the extent of it (perhaps unsurprising, since you wouldn't think a person could skate with a broken kneecap), but there hasn't been much detail about the situation.

Skaters tend to train to try to push through pain and (seemingly) minor injuries, which often is unhealthy.

Tinami Amori

This Russian article also mentions that a north-american, Desirae Graham, also pointed it out in her tweet.

Desirae Graham@divades84
https://twitter.com/divades84/status/1218942068518600706
@SkatingLesson @LiftLoopLunge in the closing of Canadians they mentioned this fall fr the Jr pairs SP warm up. The team competed the short & found out after she had a broken wrist & kneecap. Where are the responsible adults to stop a 13 y.o. from competing after a fall like that?

nimi

I didn't watch the jr pairs SP event but I saw those clips on twitter and... :yikes:

In this one, she's in pain and in tears as he carries her off the ice while Ted and his co-commentator (Meagan?) go on and on about how courageous it was for her to skate while injured. I mean, at that point the commentators probably had no idea that there were broken bones and they were just trying to be encouraging, but still, the underlying idea that it's always praiseworthy to compete even if that means you endanger your health is... problematic. Especially when we're talking about a tiny 13yo.

In that same thread, somebody who claims to have been there volunteering talks about potential spinal damage and her needing jaw realignment (in addition to the broken wrist & knee). I sure hope it isn't as bad as it sounds and that she is going to be fine but...

Colonel Green

In this one, she's in pain and in tears as he carries her off the ice while Ted and his co-commentator (Meagan?) go on and on about how courageous it was for her to skate while injured. I mean, at that point they probably had no idea that there were broken bones and they were just trying to be encouraging, but still, the underlying idea that it's always praiseworthy to compete and risk your health is... problematic.
The lady was Debbi Wilkes.

Ted commented about this on Twitter earlier, he said that she had cleared concussion protocol and that he and Debbi assumed she had been otherwise found fit (they obviously weren't anywhere near the coach/skater area where Emy was being looked at).

Vase

It happened 3min into the 6min warm up and took her time to get off the ice. They didn’t complete the remainder of the warmup and I couldn’t believe she stepped out on the ice to compete. When the team before left the ice, she didn’t get on the ice quickly to start warming up while they retrieve scores. And then They had ice pack waiting for her in the kiss and cry.
Isn’t it mainly the coaches call? In the case that we assume medical wasn’t called into check her out. It was said she has two loose teeth from the fall, that she may lose.

Canada33

I really don't understand not naming McIntosh/Toste, even if he may be quitting skating after this season. I can't imagine that they would have planned on ending the season with YOG, and they've been much the best junior team internationally for the last 2 years (and the reason there are two spots at JW). Unless there's a new injury?
Apparently Toste not finishing out season and hanging up skates to focus on school. It’s a shame as junior worlds only weeks away and skated they skated so well at YOG. https://youtu.be/EVI_ushTgNM

Catherine M

Toste retiring right after the YOG for school reminds of what happened with Charlie Butler (promising US ice dancer) back in 98 when he retired immediately after the Nagano Olympics to concentrate on school.

Wish Brandon all the luck as he moves on to the next phase of his life.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don't know who's to blame for letting Emy Carignan skate with broken bones, but heads should absolutely roll. I hope any lasting damage is as minimal as possible. :(

I can't imagine skating on such injuries - are coaches trained to watch for these things?

Xsktrx

I suppose with respect to Brandon, if he was sure he was done, at least it lets another junior pair get some experience at Jr Worlds but I certainly feel sorry for Brooke who is probably as hard-working and dedicated a skater as there is. It would’ve been nice if Brandon had done the right thing by her and seen it through until worlds but I guess that was the decision he felt was right for him. That being said, all we can hope is that Brooke finds another partner and goes on to bigger and better things.

Canada33

What’s your source on that, if you don’t mind me asking? I haven’t seen anything reported as yet about that (such as from their coach).
Heard amongst pair spectators at Canadians and now with others mentioning on this thread and “tbd” JW pair spot, seems very likely to be true.

Dobre

If "like" is equivalent to giving credit to a team for winning the U.S. Championships and playing a major role in helping the U.S. team win an Olympic medal the year before, then yes they did. Judging by the criteria in the past, USFS's BOW includes results from the previous year's Nationals/Worlds/Olympics.

barbarafan

This Russian article also mentions that a north-american, Desirae Graham, also pointed it out in her tweet.

Desirae Graham@divades84
https://twitter.com/divades84/status/1218942068518600706
@SkatingLesson @LiftLoopLunge in the closing of Canadians they mentioned this fall fr the Jr pairs SP warm up. The team competed the short & found out after she had a broken wrist & kneecap. Where are the responsible adults to stop a 13 y.o. from competing after a fall like that?
I would assume she was in shock and did not feel any pain after the fall. She most likely said she was ok...just shaken up and wanted to compete...After they did the concussion protocol they then let her skate. When my mother fell and broke her hip, she got up and went to bed...In the morning she got up...did her finger exercises on the wall(for her RA) and went downstairs into the dining room and sat down...Then she couldn't stand up. She called me at work and asked me to call her doctor and ask for the results of her bone scan.(Her phone is about 3 feet from the dining room.) I then had to play 20 questions with her to get the story and rushed across town where she still said she had no pain.After calling her doctor (who said that if she fell call an ambulance)we went to hospital where she was operated on etc etc etc. The only sign of shock she had was a tremendous thirst. Maybe we need to add a shock protocol.

The commentator did not say she was injured...only that she was brave to skate after such a fall.

mag

I don't know who's to blame for letting Emy Carignan skate with broken bones, but heads should absolutely roll. I hope any lasting damage is as minimal as possible. :(

I can't imagine skating on such injuries - are coaches trained to watch for these things?

While I completely agree, I can say with absolutely confidence, if that has been my dd, she also would have skated. I am assuming parents, if they are even there, are in the stands so would not be involved, although I am not sure even I would have been able to stop dd in a situation like that.

I realize it is very difficult for those of you who have not had children skate at this level, but even before this level, those that have what it takes to get there are made differently. Their brains work differently. Maybe not all, but certainly many. Being a parent to an elite figure skater is gut wrenchingly awful sometimes. Okay, often. Multiply whatever pain you think they live, however hard you think they work, by 10 and you might be getting close.

Sk8mom123

While I completely agree, I can say with absolutely confidence, if that has been my dd, she also would have skated. I am assuming parents, if they are even there, are in the stands so would not be involved, although I am not sure even I would have been able to stop dd in a situation like that.

I realize it is very difficult for those of you who have not had children skate at this level, but even before this level, those that have what it takes to get there are made differently. Their brains work differently. Maybe not all, but certainly many. Being a parent to an elite figure skater is gut wrenchingly awful sometimes. Okay, often. Multiply whatever pain you think they live, however hard you think they work, by 10 and you might be getting close.
So true as a parent we can’t even get to where the kids are at an event like this. We have to trust the team around them.

mag

So true as a parent we can’t even get to where the kids are at an event like this. We have to trust the team around them.

And we have to remember that teenagers truly believe they are indestructible. That is why they can do what they do. The ones that reach this level are very determined and stubborn. They have no fear, especially the pairs girls. They are not lying when the say they are fine, when they don’t tell you about the pain. They believe what they are saying is true. It can be very difficult for the adults around them to accurately assess the situation in the short time available. As I said, it can be gut wrenching to try a figure out what is best. Hindsight is so often 20/20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information