Beautiful men in films

Xela M

Ok... I went through life thinking that Marlon Brando in a 'Streetcar Named Desire' was the most handsome man that ever lived... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1XGwBoZX4

...or maybe Paul Newman in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof'... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QcSJw1s1yw

BUT I must have hit my head or something because after seeing Shane Briant in 'Straight on till Morning' I am obsessed. I have spent the whole evening trying to figure out how to watch 70's horror flicks most of which were so awful they were probably just seen by members of his family when they were first released. :D But my God he was beautiful in that film, like a real life doll... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZtnMs_ELo

I need help! :slinkaway

Anyway... this is a thread about beautiful men in film. :p

Cachoo

I think 50 Shades of Grey failed miserably because they presented a man who was simply not enough....
I think Outlander succeeds because they presented a man who is enough: Sam Heughan
https://youtu.be/kCM6Gp3oJck I think he is perfect for the Outlander book (and now film series) hero Jamie Fraser. Watch a few scenes and see if you agree! :)

The I Love You speech in Chasing Amy with a young, handsome Ben Affleck : https://youtu.be/atGNvojXOvM

Robert Redford in everything from 1965 to 1985... https://youtu.be/RUur0VbSdz0

And there are so many more...great idea!

Grannyfan

For sheer physical beauty, Cary Grant is hard to beat. But Gene Kelly is an exceedingly close second, if not a tie!

I agree about Cary Grant, in his middle years much more than his youth.

I would call these men beautiful though they're not necessarily the most attractive to me:
Robert Taylor
Alain Delon
Peter O'Toole
Rob Lowe
Rock Hudson

moebius

In addition to some of the mentioned above, I would like to add the following to the list:
Andreas Wilson (okay he's not really in film, but he was in at least one, which was nominated for an Oscar; therefore sorta qualifies as a film actor)
Tom Mison
Christopher Plummer

Cachoo

I agree about Cary Grant, in his middle years much more than his youth.

I would call these men beautiful though they're not necessarily the most attractive to me:
Robert Taylor
Alain Delon
Peter O'Toole
Rob Lowe
Rock Hudson

There seems to be a real love for the beautiful, almost angelic face from decade to decade....
Montgomery Clift to
Warren Beatty to
Rob Lowe to
Brad Pitt to
Adrian Grenier to?

Japanfan

Agreed about Christopher Plummer and the young Robert Redford - especially as Gatsby (sigh).

Viggo Mortenson was particularly beautiful as Aragorn in Lord of the Rings (IMO he is not so beautiful with short hair in modern roles).

Sean Bean is always gorgeous.

Clive Owen, Gabriel Byrne, a young Al Pacino (didn't age that well).

Though all of these men might be seen as more traditionally 'handsome' than as beautiful, if a distinction needs to be made. They are not of the 'angelic' looking type.

Downey Jr. to me is more cute than beautiful or handsome.

The minute I post a bunch more will immediately come to mind, I expect.

Finnice

I think Outlander succeeds because they presented a man who is enough: Sam Heughan
https://youtu.be/kCM6Gp3oJck I think he is perfect for the Outlander book (and now film series) hero Jamie Fraser. Watch a few scenes and see if you agree! :)
[/QUOTE]

Well, Outlander just started here, but I did not begin to watch. I will now.:swoon:Great thread with many good suggestions.
Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn is for me about the most beautiful man ever.

Xela M

Alain Delon, Plein Soleil. I kinda like the dreamy, icy psycho look.

19536162_201307091615276.jpg

Alain Delon was absolutely beautiful, particularly in this film. Didn't another actor say "I'd turn gay for him," about Alain Delon in Plein Soleil?

Last edited:

Nan

Just me, retired
Richard Armitage.

Sorry, can't get the link to work.

Last edited:

Cachoo

For sheer physical beauty, Cary Grant is hard to beat. But Gene Kelly is an exceedingly close second, if not a tie!

I saw old film footage of Pal Joey on Broadway in the 1930's. The footage was in color and taken in the very back of the Broadway theatre. There was a tap dancer who moved from the end of the stage to the middle. You couldn't see him clearly from that far back and yet your eyes stayed riveted to him. It was a very young Gene Kelly. I know Astaire was great but Kelly was beautiful from tip to toe.

snoopy

Steve McQueen. :swoon: He out Brandos Brando IMO. Montgomery Clift? I think that is his name. Raintree County? Pretty smokin' too.

I don't know that any actor today has the mix of beauty and intelligent roles to make him as sexy as the older dudes for me.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more. (Favs in bold):

In their younger days (pre 80's): Elvis Presley, Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

('80's and 90's) Brad Pitt, Keanu Reeves, Richard Gear, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Will Smith and Harrison Ford.

Todays men: Ryan Kwanten, Channing Tatum, Chris Pine, Henry Cavill, Ryan Reynolds, James Marsden, Chris Evans, Jason Momoa, Shemar Moore and Sam Worthington.

all_empty

I'll just comment on those I've seen in person:

Chris Pine is devastatingly handsome in person (those eyes), but not when he has his gross beard (he doesn't have the best skin).

Henry Cavill is pretty down to earth and handsome but doesn't scream movie star in person.

Jason Momoa is huge and intimidating and totally would be much better looking if he shaved.

Others I've seen in person:

I didn't "get" Charlie Hunnam until I met him in person. Not traditionally handsome but super charismatic.

Ben Barnes is good-looking. His buddy Rob Kasinski is okay and becoming a big name, but he's average by Hollywood standards.

Gerard Butler is handsome but really leathery.

Josh Brolin is good-looking but really scary and always has a nasty scowl.

Zac Efron is just pretty. He's kinda small in real life.

Jason Statham is really short and grizzly looking.

Not really a movie star but James Van Der Beek is MUCH better looking in person.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I'll just comment on those I've seen in person:

Chris Pine is devastatingly handsome in person (those eyes), but not when he has his gross beard (he doesn't have the best skin).

Henry Cavill is pretty down to earth and handsome but doesn't scream movie star in person.

Jason Momoa is huge and intimidating and totally would be much better looking if he shaved.

Others I've seen in person:

I didn't "get" Charlie Hunnam until I met him in person. Not traditionally handsome but super charismatic.

Ben Barnes is good-looking. His buddy Rob Kasinski is okay and becoming a big name, but he's average by Hollywood standards.

Gerard Butler is handsome but really leathery.

Josh Brolin is good-looking but really scary and always has a nasty scowl.

Zac Efron is just pretty. He's kinda small in real life.

Jason Statham is really short and grizzly looking.

Not really a movie star but James Van Der Beek is MUCH better looking in person.

I think I was surprised to learn that the sweet-faced boy in Nicholas Nickleby was also Jax in Sons of Anarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cachoo

DAMNNNNNNN Fredric March is hot.

OK, I gravitate towards....

Daniel Craig in anything
Tom Hardy in anything
Russel Crowe in this gay film.... The Sum of Us http://www.amazon.com/The-Sum-Us-Jack-Thompson/dp/B00008R9KG

Yes---more appealing than the angelic beautiful ones imho. Tom Hardy is such a heady mix of beauty, brawn and acting ability. I like James McAvoy too.

Also--I loved Marlon Brando in the 50's (specifically "On the Waterfront.) Tom Hardy reminds me of Marlon Brando.
Jean Dujardin reminds me of Gene Kelly. Young Brad Pitt is Robert Redford and so on...

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I saw old film footage of Pal Joey on Broadway in the 1930's. The footage was in color and taken in the very back of the Broadway theatre. There was a tap dancer who moved from the end of the stage to the middle. You couldn't see him clearly from that far back and yet your eyes stayed riveted to him. It was a very young Gene Kelly. I know Astaire was great but Kelly was beautiful from tip to toe.

Yes indeed. :swoon: I remember seeing that footage, years ago. I wish there were more of it!!

I think I was surprised to learn that the sweet-faced boy in Nicholas Nickleby was also Jax in Sons of Anarchy.

:respec: I thought I was the only one who remembered him as Nicholas!

Jean Dujardin reminds me of Gene Kelly.

Me too.

I agree about Christopher Plummer, Peter O'Toole, and Montgomery Clift. As for modern actors . . . I'd say Matthew Goode (I wish he had played Darcy instead of Wickham in Death Comes to Pemberley!), Jim Caviezel, Kyle Chandler, James Marsden, and Matt Bomer. I actually preferred Tim DeKay's character to Bomer's in White Collar, but there's no denying which one was the looker!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information