94th Annual Academy Awards Thread

jenny12

It’s only in North America it was bleeped, a very distasteful joke about his wife’s medical condition but doesn’t deserve a slap (he had an open hand). Will be interesting the fallout.

Yeah, violence is never the answer. He should have just talked to him afterward or said something during his probable best actor speech.

Allskate

Yeah, violence is never the answer. He should have just talked to him afterward or said something during his probable best actor speech.
I'm not excusing Chris, but Will's reaction was bad for so many reasons. It will taint this night for him if he wins.

I also feel bad for everybody whose big night is being overshadowed by this. I think people were online trying to figure out what happened while others were winning Oscars. And it stinks that Oscar winners are being asked about it backstage.

I didn't expect them to win, but it was very sweet to see Billie and Finneas respond to their win.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It was shocking to see! First joke was about their open marriage, which he laughed at. Then Chris said he's looking forward to seeing Jada in GI Joe 2. That's when Will got up and assaulted Chris, saying something like "keep my wife's MFing name out of your mouth"

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Sounds like Will Smith's E-meter must be malfunctioning because he doesn't seem to be "clear".
He's left Scientology. Or more accurately he dabbled but was never all the way in. Jada was further in but she's had Leah Remini on her Facebook Watch show so I would guess that she's left too.

Allskate

Oh, gosh. That clip with Will(liams) saying that she will be representing every little black girl. This is so bizarre.

His speech is just so strange in this moment. He is not being a vessel of love tonight. He is not shining a light. This is sooooo sad.

Desperado

He tried to make it about the women he’s protecting, but it’s clearly all about him in a toxic way. He has many people who appear to care about him though, I hope they can help him.

orbitz

I'm not watching the show. What kind of ovation did Will receive when he was announced as Best Actor ? It doesn't sound like Kris joke regarding GI Jane was anything to get remotely upset about. Will must have been upset about something else and then just lost it when Jada's name was mentioned.

jenny12

Is he approaching Kanye award show level (no, I am not watching, so is there something about the acceptance speech itself that is bad enough for you to say that)?

IMO, yes (though I guess it's hard to compare anything to Kanye considering all the repeated stuff he's done). It felt a bit unhinged to me and he said something about defending his family.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Jada was clearly not happy about the joke, so I am wondering if that made his reaction as strong as it was.

manhn

Is alopechia considered not a serious enough medical condition for some people? Would it have been more “understandable” if Jada had cancer and was going through chemo?

Allskate

Is he approaching Kanye award show level (no, I am not watching, so is there something about the acceptance speech itself that is bad enough for you to say that)?
He was a mess. Not the way that Kanye was interrupting Taylor. But, he was going on and on, while crying. They didn't cut him off. He was crying, but not the way that Oscar winners cry. I think he knew he messed up, and hitting Chris undermined much of what he was saying about love and protection. He was talking about protecting people in the film, but it seemed pretty clearly a reference to "protecting" Jada by hitting Chris.

Allskate

Is alopechia considered not a serious enough medical condition for some people? Would it have been more “understandable” if Jada had cancer and was going through chemo?
The joke was totally off base and wrong. But Will's reaction was not in any way proper.

manhn

Less about the reaction (of course violence is wrong) and viewing the joke as just a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information