2023 US Champs Camp

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Looks like Champs Camp is being held this week in Las Vegas.

The Browns and Christina Carreira have posted today on their IG that they're headed to Champs Camp today. Christina's comment also included the words "Vegas baby!" which aligns with Ilia's post yesterday about road-tripping from Sun Valley to Las Vegas because his flight was cancelled (presumably due to the remnants of Hurricane Hilary).

ETA - it will be interesting to see which ISP teams are competing in the 2nd Pairs NQS event, Battle of the Blades in Fort Wayne IN, and which ones are at Champs Camp...

Karen-W

Lots of different IG stories today from various skaters at Champs Camp - so far, I've seen Hawayek/Baker, Pate/Bye, Naumov, Pulkinen, Kapeikis, Kam/O'Shea, Plazas/Fernandez, and Zingas/Kolesnik sharing pics and clips in addition to the Browns & Carreira/Ponomarenko, Malinin and Andrews traveling yesterday, and Benoit Richaud is also in Las Vegas.

The USFS has nice, inspirational quotes from novice, intermediate and juvenile level skaters telling why different skaters/teams are their favorites.

Evgeniafan

Lots of different IG stories today from various skaters at Champs Camp - so far, I've seen Hawayek/Baker, Pate/Bye, Naumov, Pulkinen, Kapeikis, Kam/O'Shea, Plazas/Fernandez, and Zingas/Kolesnik sharing pics and clips in addition to the Browns & Carreira/Ponomarenko, Malinin and Andrews traveling yesterday, and Benoit Richaud is also in Las Vegas.

The USFS has nice, inspirational quotes from novice, intermediate and juvenile level skaters telling why different skaters/teams are their favorites.
Will there be any videos?

ice coverage

Wasn’t expecting this, but Katie McBeath just posted from champs camp, so her and Daniil Parkman are also there.

And in other pair news ... Efimova and Mitrofanov are seen in Champs Camp content on USFS social media today:

(Haydenettes are shown in second photo, BTW.
First time I have been aware of synchro representation at Champs Camp, which traditionally has been preparation for Grand Prix series.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
And in other pair news ... Efimova and Mitrofanov are seen in Champs Camp content on USFS social media today:

The 12 skaters in the selfie group photo taken by Monique Coleman are: Ian Somerville, Emily Bratti, Vadym Kolesnik*, Lucas Broussard* (back left), Misha Mitrofanov, Alisa Efimova*, Starr Andrews, Emilea Zingas*, Eva Pate (partially hidden), Christina Carreira, Anthony Ponomarenko, Logan Bye. [* = first time attending Champs Camp]

"Emerging Athletes" invited to Champs Camp this year include Josephine Lee and 2023 Junior pair champs Ellie Korytek/Timmy Chapman (Josephine shared an Insta story clip of K/C's throw 3S in practice).

ETA: Jimmy Ma just shared an Insta story pic of the "Boston crew with Monique Coleman" - Chan/Howe, Efimova/Mitrofanov & himself.

Last edited:

Willin

Of course it's the Haydenettes...

It's so frustrating to continue to see USFS prop them up when propping them up is hurting the US's ability to be competitive at synchro internationally. By ignoring the traditional hierarchy and awarding whoever is truly best the US has made itself into a Junior synchro powerhouse. Meanwhile at Senior they're stuck on making things as uncompetitive as ever.

Karen-W

It's so frustrating to continue to see USFS prop them up when propping them up is hurting the US's ability to be competitive at synchro internationally. By ignoring the traditional hierarchy and awarding whoever is truly best the US has made itself into a Junior synchro powerhouse. Meanwhile at Senior they're stuck on making things as uncompetitive as ever.
It seems to me that if the USFS was going to bring one synchro team to Champs Camp then they should have brought in all 4 of the senior ISP teams (Skyliners, Adrian College and Miami University) as well as the senior elite 12 team (Hayden Select) since it's a guarantee that all of those teams will be sent to at least 1 of the Synchro Challenger Series competitions during the winter.

Karen-W

The 12 skaters in the selfie group photo taken by Monique Coleman are: Ian Somerville, Emily Bratti, Vadym Kolesnik*, Lucas Broussard* (back left), Misha Mitrofanov, Alisa Efimova*, Starr Andrews, Emilea Zingas*, Eva Pate (partially hidden), Christina Carreira, Anthony Ponomarenko, Logan Bye. [* = first time attending Champs Camp]
The third pic on that post from the USFS is a VERY brief video - you can see Lindsay Thorngren and Starr Andrews to Monique's right, while to her left are Danill Parkman, Katie McBeath, Danny O'Shea and the backs of a bunch of skaters that I don't recognize immediately, lol. The circle (going clockwise) is Monique, Lindsay, Starr, short girl with straight dark hair, guy with brown hair, guy with light brown/dark blonde hair, short girl with straight shoulder-length brown hair, short girl with wavy black hair (I think Ellie Kam), Danny, short girl with black hair, Katie, Danill.

Willin

@Karen-W Probably too expensive to bring 100 extra skaters. 20 extra is much more doable. But yeah, they should've brought all or none. We know Champs Camp will give Hayden a huge advantage as far as getting judging feedback early that will, once again, prop them up for no reason.

Sylvia

TBD
The third pic on that post from the USFS is a VERY brief video ... The circle (going clockwise) is Monique, Lindsay, Starr, short girl with straight dark hair, guy with brown hair, guy with light brown/dark blonde hair, short girl with straight shoulder-length brown hair[/B], short girl with wavy black hair (I think Ellie Kam)
Liam Kapeikis is wearing the Team USA jacket and Andrew Torgashev is to the leftt of Liam.

Karen-W

The third pic on that post from the USFS is a VERY brief video - you can see Lindsay Thorngren and Starr Andrews to Monique's right, while to her left are Danill Parkman, Katie McBeath, Danny O'Shea and the backs of a bunch of skaters that I don't recognize immediately, lol. The circle (going clockwise) is Monique, Lindsay, Starr, short girl with straight dark hair, guy with brown hair, guy with light brown/dark blonde hair, short girl with straight shoulder-length brown hair, short girl with wavy black hair (I think Ellie Kam), Danny, short girl with black hair, Katie, Danill.
I knew you'd probably recognize the guys! ;)
Liam Kapeikis is wearing the Team USA jacket and Andrew Torgashev is to the leftt of Liam.
Valentina Plazas must be one of the short, dark brown-haired women since she shared that particular clip on her IG story, but darned if I can tell which one, lol.

ETA - I think the girl next to Andrew is Emily Chan, but not 100% - Emily is wearing a Team USA jacket in the pic on Jimmy's IG and the haircuts/style looks pretty similar.

Tinycities

Monique storied a video that also has Madi Chock, Evan Bates, Isabeau Levito & Ilia Malinin.

Surprised we haven’t seen anything showing Green & Parsons. Hawayek & Baker had posted from the venue a few days ago at least.

Also, looks like Emilea Zingas posted a TikTok on their team page showing a bunch of the skaters. Not sure if Audrey Shin, Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov have been mentioned, but they’re in that video.

Karen-W

Monique storied a video that also has Madi Chock, Evan Bates, Isabeau Levito & Ilia Malinin.

Surprised we haven’t seen anything showing Green & Parsons. Hawayek & Baker had posted from the venue a few days ago at least.

Also, looks like Emilea Zingas posted a TikTok on their team page showing a bunch of the skaters. Not sure if Audrey Shin, Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov have been mentioned, but they’re in that video.
Shin and McNSpir have shared IG stories since I posted earlier this week.

I haven't seen anything from Smirnova/Siianytsia, the Mokhovs (assuming they're there since McBPark, EfiMit and LiuNagy are there), Bradie Tennell, or Amber Glenn pop up on IG yet.

Tinycities

Shin and McNSpir have shared IG stories since I posted earlier this week.

I haven't seen anything from Smirnova/Siianytsia, the Mokhovs (assuming they're there since McBPark, EfiMit and LiuNagy are there), Bradie Tennell, or Amber Glenn pop up on IG yet.
did Liu/Nagy story? I must have missed that

Karen-W

Is Monique with USFSA?

Any Amber sightings at all? I feel like I haven’t even seen much from her let alone her music choices or even a Challenger assignment yet
She's an actress who took up skating as an adult last winter when she was invited to skate with Elladj Balde. She's been documenting her experiences on her IG and has become a huge fan of our sport. I think it's great that the USFS reached out to her to come to Champs Camp - helps expand the sport's reach on social media.

Sylvia

TBD
She's an actress who took up skating as an adult last winter when she was invited to skate with Elladj Balde. She's been documenting her experiences on her IG and has become a huge fan of our sport. I think it's great that the USFS reached out to her to come to Champs Camp - helps expand the sport's reach on social media.
Yes, many of the skaters seemed to appreciate her presence this year.

Here's Monique Coleman's video of her Champs Champ highlight moments: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwc00GDsOqn/
What. A. Day!!! Never in my life did I imagine spending the day with top @usfigureskating athletes — leading workshops on brand development, resilience, managing anxiety, and how my journey from being a Disney Actress to the United Nations Youth Champion (and everything in between) has led me here — to Team USA ⛸️😍🥹

I was SO inspired by everyone I met & I can’t wait to follow along and cheer for these athletes in the upcoming competition season! I even got to spend time on the ice & get pointers from the pros!

I’m in AWE of this life & overwhelmed by what’s possible! Who knows, Adult Figure Skating may have a new competitor 😆

Last edited:

Karen-W

I really need proof that SmirSiia were there, lol. My head tells me they were there, but I'm not convinced of this until I see one or both of them in a pic or video. Also, like ANL, I need to see them on a Challenger entry list!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I really need proof that SmirSiia were there, lol. My head tells me they were there, but I'm not convinced of this until I see one or both of them in a pic or video. Also, like ANL, I need to see them on a Challenger entry list!
Seriously they are like perpetually injured so I'm just assuming they still are/are again idk which. I love them but they legit a mystery to me.

Karen-W

did Liu/Nagy story? I must have missed that

Maybe I'm misremembering and they haven't, lol. Or I'm just assuming they're there since McBPark and EfiMit are there, lol.
And here's the proof that Liu/Nagy were there too, lol...

yeslek

@Karen-W Probably too expensive to bring 100 extra skaters. 20 extra is much more doable. But yeah, they should've brought all or none. We know Champs Camp will give Hayden a huge advantage as far as getting judging feedback early that will, once again, prop them up for no reason.
Probably also too early for the college teams.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Aren’t the Haydenettes the preppies? They were in the early 1980s Nationals, when presented by F Ritter Shumway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information