2023 US Champs Camp

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What we really need is an updated group photo from the USFS that will tell us exactly who else was there that we don't know about yet, lol.

And did they invite any of the SkAm TBD contenders for women?

ice coverage

Good to see On Ice Perspectives' Jordan is filming today! :) IIRC, he last filmed at Champs Camp when it was held in Irvine, CA a few years back.

Jordan was filming before today too. 🥳
He could be seen yesterday in an Instastory (sorry, it already expired) on ice with Monique Coleman, Haydenettes, etc.

ETA:​
Different on-ice Instastory snippet reposted by Haydenettes still has a few hours to go before expiration.
It has a fleeting glimpse of Jordan in the background.

Yes, many of the skaters seemed to appreciate her presence this year. ...

(y) Seems to me that the #1 benefit of having Monique Coleman at Champs Camp is that the skaters were excited to interact with and learn from her.

Last edited:

Sarah

I really need proof that SmirSiia were there, lol. My head tells me they were there, but I'm not convinced of this until I see one or both of them in a pic or video. Also, like ANL, I need to see them on a Challenger entry list!
They just announced on Instagram they’ve ended their partnership.

Sylvia

TBD
Of the 9 "Emerging Athletes" invited to Champs Camp this year, I can identify 7 in the group photo: Daniil Murzin (far left in front row next to Maria Mokhova), Daniel Martynov (partially hidden behind Gage Brown who has his mouth open), Ellie Korytek/Timmy Chapman (he's in the back row far right with the lower half of his face blocked by Max Fernandez in front of him; she is in the front row), Elyce Lin-Gracey (next to Ellie Kam wearing the shiny/puffy jacket who's crouching in the front row; looks like Audrey Shin next to Clare Seo in purple and Ava Ziegler), Soho Lee (next to Isabeau with Valentina Plazas on her other side), Ellie Korytek and Josephine Lee (far right in front row). I believe Katie Shen and Mia Kalin are the other 2 Emerging Athletes but I don't see them in the group photo (ETA that Madi/Evan, Kaitlin/Jean-Luc, Caroline Green, Amber and Starr also are missing in this particular shot).

Garrett Lucash (coaches Naumov) is part of the "athletecenteredskating" IG account - they are with Murzin and his (and Katie Shen's) coach, Laura Lipetsky in this pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwilmKvpMPG/

Last edited:

Karen-W

Notable folks missing from that group photo -

Chock/Bates
Hawayek/Baker
McNamara/Spiridonov
Andrews
Glenn

So, it appears the following skaters and teams who are in contention for the SkAm TBD spots were at Champs Camp -

Women (1) - Clare Seo & Ava Ziegler
Pairs (2) - Liu/Nagy & the Mokhovs
Dance (1) - the Browns & McNamara/Spiridonov

Interesting that both McBeath/Parkman and Efimova/Mitrofanov were invited even though they aren't eligible for the ISP, but Martins/Bedard weren't even though, theoretically, they should be in contention for one of the SkAm TBD spots. Same in Men - Murzin was invited (is he really part of the Emerging Athletes group at this point since he's been assigned to a Challenger?) but no Robert Yampolsky (who is actually ranked higher on last season's SB list than either Liam or Lucas)? And no Hilmer despite assigning her to a Challenger and her being higher on last season's SB than Clare...

Willin

There's usually at least a few skaters missing from group photos at Champs Camp for whatever reason. The only comprehensive photo is typically the official one for Skating Magazine. Given that all of the notable missing skaters have GP assignments and are Champs Camp veterans , I'm wondering if it's possible they were busy filming their GP fluff pieces or doing GP-related interviews at the time?

Sylvia

TBD
(ETA that Madi/Evan, Kaitlin/Jean-Luc, Caroline Green, Amber and Starr also are missing from this gathering).
Notable folks missing from that group photo -
McNamara/Spiridonov
Lorraine is in pink on the left hand side and Anton is directly above her, the one standing the highest in the group photo. I edited my post above to note that I also didn't see Caroline Green in this particular group pic.

Robert Yampolsky, Kirk Haugeto, Aleksandr Fegan, Sonia Baram/Daniel Tioumentsev, Soho Lee, Katie Shen (who ended up not competing last season) & Sofia Bezkorovainaya attended Champs Camp at the Detroit SC in the "Emerging Athletes" program last year.

ice coverage

... Interesting that both McBeath/Parkman and Efimova/Mitrofanov were invited even though they aren't eligible for the ISP, but Martins/Bedard weren't even though, theoretically, they should be in contention for one of the SkAm TBD spots. Same in Men - Murzin was invited (is he really part of the Emerging Athletes group at this point since he's been assigned to a Challenger?) ...

I don't think USFS ever has shared any rules/criteria for how Emerging Athletes are selected?
Given that Murzin the new senior was included in Junior Team Cup this season, it would not be as surprising (IMO) that USFS also would include him in Emerging Athletes -- although most or all of the past Emerging Athletes have been juniors.

With their former partners, McBeath and Mitrofanov both competed at GPs as Team USA seniors; and their new partners also have GP experience.
Maybe that is partly why USFS included them in Champs Camp? And not Martins/Bedard, who are new seniors.

The 12 skaters in the selfie group photo taken by Monique Coleman are: Ian Somerville, Emily Bratti, Vadym Kolesnik*, Lucas Broussard* (back left), Misha Mitrofanov, Alisa Efimova*, Starr Andrews, Emilea Zingas*, Eva Pate (partially hidden), Christina Carreira, Anthony Ponomarenko, Logan Bye. [* = first time attending Champs Camp]

Just a side comment that Kolesnik and Torgashev (not in Coleman's selfie) are new Champs Camp seniors who will make their GP debuts this season, but at least as Emerging Athletes, they did attend Champs Camp before. :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Browns' account just shared 4 photos - Gage took a selfie during what looks like the official group photo shoot outside (eta - includes Madi/Evan & Kaitlin/Jean-Luc); 2nd pic is many of the ice dancers with choreographer Randi Strong: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwkmDKSr9nb/

ETA: I've since found out that the informal group photo, embedded in post #35, was taken at the beginning of Champs Camp -- the keynote speaker was Shane Hnidy (retired NHL defenseman and now a TV analyst for the Las Vegas Golden Knights), standing in the back between Lucas Broussard and Danny O'Shea.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

Hawayek/Baker didn't do any updates from Champs Camp but they were good friends with Alexandra Paul so I wonder if that might be why?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The Browns' account just shared 4 photos - Gage took a selfie during what looks like the official group photo shoot outside; 2nd pic is many of the ice dancers with choreographer Randi Strong: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwkmDKSr9nb/
Finally proof that H/B were there hooray! (Not that I thought they weren't but you know, it's just nice to see them there because I've missed them)

litenkyckling

Finally proof that H/B were there hooray! (Not that I thought they weren't but you know, it's just nice to see them there because I've missed them)
I think the only post I saw from them was their stories from the plane on their way there

Karen-W

I can't recall which one of them posted on their IG story during the camp, but either Hawayek or Baker shared a pic of their inspirational quote that was on the wall, but then they went quiet the rest of the camp.

ice coverage

... ETA: I've since found out that the informal group photo, embedded in post #35, was taken at the beginning of Champs Camp -- the keynote speaker was Shane Hnidy (retired NHL defenseman and now a TV analyst for the Las Vegas Golden Knights), standing in the back between Lucas Broussard and Danny O'Shea.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity, Sylvia!
I was wondering who the "mystery man" was, and what his role in Champs Camp was.

For those interested in H/B, they were in the second Champs Camp photo posted by the Haydenettes:
In one of the Instastories showing the Haydenettes and others on ice with Monique Coleman, Jean-Luc almost seemed to be dancing a brief little duet with Coleman, IIRC. Maybe another glimpse of this fun moment eventually will resurface. (Sorry that I don't remember which account I was looking at [it was not from H/B themselves], and the Instastory surely has expired by now anyway.)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Beat me to it by a couple seconds! I see Clare and Ava!

I noticed them right away but who seems to be missing because I’ve scanned this three times now is the Queen of figure skating. Where in the world is she?

she’s been a bit too quiet this summer, hope she’s working on her skating, I wonder if she’ll even compete before the Grand Prix

Last edited:

Karen-W

I noticed them right away but who seems to be missing because I’ve scanned this three times now is the Queen of figure skating. Where in the world is she?

she’s been a bit too quiet this summer, hope she’s working on her skating, I wonder if she’ll even compete before the Grand Prix
Your girl is also featured for a few seconds in this video -

Allskate

I'd like to believe it's a good sign that Amber has been working hard.

Amber and Isabeau posted very short IG stories of them "trying" (their words) something together on the ice.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt from Monique Coleman's speech to the skaters at Champs Camp: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwyIfCsyA5P/
A gentle reminder that while social media can be a powerful tool to amplify your brand or bring visibility to what you care about, it’s also a breeding ground for comparison and insecurity. Use it wisely. Disconnect often. And as my sweet friend @phil_boutte constantly reminds me “Protect your Peace” ♥️👊🏾
A smiling Gracie Gold (in bright pink jacket that's hard to miss!) can be seen on the ice with the skaters at one point as Jordan Cowan was filming - I believe she helped coach the "emerging athletes" there?

sk8nlizard

Excerpt from Monique Coleman's speech to the skaters at Champs Camp: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwyIfCsyA5P/

A smiling Gracie Gold (in bright pink jacket that's hard to miss!) can be seen on the ice with the skaters at one point as Jordan Cowan was filming - I believe she helped coach the "emerging athletes" there?
Thanks for the video, I love that Monique Coleman is showing figure skating on her social media!
Does this mean Gracie isn’t planning to compete this year?

Sylvia

TBD
Does this mean Gracie isn’t planning to compete this year?
Not necessarily.

Edited to clarify: The final NQS competitions are the first week of October so she has until then to compete if she plans to qualify for Sectionals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information