2023-2024 Rhythm dance

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think the key words are "originally released" - so, probably no Dirty Dancing RDs since most of the songs on that soundtrack were released in the '60s.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
… “Music and Feeling of the Eighties”. ….
Oh, good grief. Feeling of the ‘80s…of being high on Cocaine, as reported all over downtown US cities in the time? Great feelings, ISU. Maybe they will focus on other countries.

VGThuy

They obviously just want teams to capture what people think of when they’re invited to an 80s theme party, haha. As for “remastered” music, I’m sure they want original recordings but they’re okay with changing it to improve the sound quality… like those “remastered” recordings of the original tracks that artists have released when sound technology got better.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
This is still a ridiculously defined theme. I hope someone just does Orinoco Flow or some 1980’s Philip Glass or The Man who mistook his Wife for a Hat opera because its clearly not what the ISU is aiming for and yet would be perfectly within the rules.

litenkyckling

I feel like the 80s was such a good time for music because of the political landscape and the huge cultural and political shifts happening - but I’m not sure the ISU want any politically charged RDs unfortunately.

Former Lurve Goddess

I feel like the 80s was such a good time for music because of the political landscape and the huge cultural and political shifts happening - but I’m not sure the ISU want any politically charged RDs unfortunately.
I'm sure the ISU didn't have The Clash, Dead Kennedy, Public Enemy or NWA in mind when they came up with the RD concept, but full points to any team who goes there. Mind you, "Born in the USA" is a political song but most people don't know what it's actually about it.

screech

I would love it if the actual music used had to be released in the '80s. I mean, that's how I'm reading what they said. A cover of an 80s song would not be eligible if that cover was released after January 1st, 1990. But I can't imagine they will be that strict, especially with copyright issues and money at stake.
I'm wondering though if there's a loophole as the guideline that was shared says "Any music is possible provided it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s." The 'originally' could be taken by some that a cover may be acceptable, since the 'original' is from the 80s. I'm not saying that's correct, however the wording could be taken that way by some of the teams.

SidelineSkater

Oh, good grief. Feeling of the ‘80s…of being high on Cocaine, as reported all over downtown US cities in the time? Great feelings, ISU. Maybe they will focus on other countries.

Gasp! Pearl clutching. The dangerous, drug-filled cities. The 80s = about the same time period meth was really taking off in rural, red places too. Works both ways Frau!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Gasp! Pearl clutching. The dangerous, drug-filled cities. The 80s = about the same time period meth was really taking off in rural, red places too. Works both ways Frau!
I was only in DC - lots of druggies staying awake on uppers (usually cocaine) overnight in offices. Never was in rural areas in US. That’s the good old ‘80s.

RoseRed

I'm wondering though if there's a loophole as the guideline that was shared says "Any music is possible provided it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s." The 'originally' could be taken by some that a cover may be acceptable, since the 'original' is from the 80s. I'm not saying that's correct, however the wording could be taken that way by some of the teams.
I agree. If people go for a cover, this will be the justification, not the bit about remastering. I don't think that's what the ISU had in mind though, or there would have been no reason to specify that remastered versions are allowed (since a cover released later is a bigger difference than a remastered version of an 80s original).

Tinycities

Curious if this will rule out using soft cells tainted love, as that was originally released in the 1960s, the soft cell version is a cover. I remember people talking about Madison chock’s playlist on Twitter which included the soft cell version.

Former Lurve Goddess

Curious if this will rule out using soft cells tainted love, as that was originally released in the 1960s, the soft cell version is a cover. I remember people talking about Madison chock’s playlist on Twitter which included the soft cell version.
I was wondering that too. The original 1960s version of Tainted Love sounds completely different from the Soft Cell 80s version.

VGThuy

As fun as it is to speculate on teams pushing the rules just to troll, we all know what the vast majority of teams will give us, and it’ll be what the ISU thought about when they came up with this theme. We all know retrospectives aren’t about accuracy but what sort of images get associated with a certain era far after-the-fact, no matter how overstated certain looks and attitudes were. Look at what most young people who didn’t live through it think the 1960s looked like in England… or even just London… (if they even think about it) despite how that mod image was only for a subsection of the population.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
As fun as it is to speculate on teams pushing the rules just to troll, we all know what the vast majority of teams will give us, and it’ll be what the ISU thought about when they came up with this theme. We all know retrospectives aren’t about accuracy but what sort of images get associated with a certain era far after-the-fact, no matter how overstated certain looks and attitudes were. Look at what most young people who didn’t live through it think the 1960s looked like in England… or even just London… (if they even think about it) despite how that mod image was only for a subsection of the population.
And it's funny that this is supposed to be one of Those Things The Youngsters Can Really Get Into, even though none of these ice dancers can remember the '80s. There's something very "How do you do fellow kids" about the ISU these days.

VGThuy

And it's funny that this is supposed to be one of Those Things The Youngsters Can Really Get Into, even though none of these ice dancers can remember the '80s. There's something very "How do you do fellow kids" about the ISU these days.
Yeah; the 80s comeback was during my college days and I ain’t “young” anymore, haha.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

We had 80s programs in the 90s, for crying out loud. They just weren't called 80s theme programs. And they sucked then too :lol:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I'm sure Madison Chock will not tame her glorious locks in a bun for either program next season should ChoBat compete.

Maybe Chock in a Madonna wrap, dancing to "Where's the Party?" or "Causing a Commotion."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information