2023-2024 Rhythm dance

skatfan

I was only in DC - lots of druggies staying awake on uppers (usually cocaine) overnight in offices. Never was in rural areas in US. That’s the good old ‘80s.
I was in DC in the eighties too. I think you overstate how much drug use there was in offices.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I was in DC in the eighties too. I think you overstate how much drug use there was in offices.
It was standard at USAID consulting firms…to keep people awake & alive via multiple nights of writing proposals. My employer became THE largest USAID contractor at that decade…and may still be the largest, IIRC. I asked for a long-term overseas assignment to get out.

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
So the Seniors do a partial samba to any rhythm? OK....
So I wasn't reading that wrong. I know I moaned endlessly about wanting them to use a pattern again, but not like this.

The "feeling/essence" of the 1980s. This is just ... not anything... :lol:
Agreed. I was a teenager in the 1980s and even I don't know what that means.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I’m listening to the 1983 countdown on the SiriusXM Big 80s channel, and I’d forgotten that I’d always wanted a sultry team to do “Little Red Corvette.” Maybe the Canadanes could try it out.

SidelineSkater

Wondering out loud here...I'm hoping most teams steer clear of the usual 80's music that's already been used and/or avoid the awful covers. It's not 80's, but there's a new version of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car being butchered by a country music guy.

I bet we get at least one Kate Bush - Running Up that Hill, but am hoping for...

INXS
Culture Club
Cyndi Lauper
Whitney Houston
Bonnie Tyler
The Police
Fleetwood Mac
Blondie
Simple Minds (Breakfast Club Soundtrack)
Salt N Pepa
Wham!
Sade
Guns N Roses
Hall & Oates
Duran Duran
Bon Jovi
Patti Smith
Depeche Mode

And that's just a few!

Frau Muller

INXS
Culture Club
Cyndi Lauper
Whitney Houston
Bonnie Tyler
The Police
Fleetwood Mac
Blondie
Simple Minds (Breakfast Club Soundtrack)
Salt N Pepa
Wham!
Sade
Guns N Roses
Hall & Oates
Duran Duran
Bon Jovi
Patti Smith
Depeche Mode

….
Who the heck are most of these people? Other than Whitney. Jill Trenary skated to Whitney.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Some of us who've been alive during 8 decades, know that every decade brings dreck music. And every decade has some awesome music.

Just gotta listen to a lot of music. I'm not a country gal, a rapper, a grunge gal, a gospel gal but I can find some good music in all those and other genre.

SidelineSkater

This! Seriously, I was a country music girl and I've heard of almost all of those acts and their music.

I phased out of country music in the mid 90's - but classic, pure country music has some gems. As stated better above, just because you don't listen to a genre, doesn't mean you haven't heard of an artist.

Reba
Mary Chapin Carpenter (although she was more 90's)
Kathy Mattea
Dolly Parton (Hello Dolly! Please - I will instantly uber any team using Dolly)
The Judds
I think Karen already requested a Kenny Rogers Islands in the Stream

Or for a Free Dance, do a Vegas mashup from all genres (The Gambler, Poker Face, The Winner Takes it All, Get Lucky, Luck Be a Lady, Paint it Black) - just like this HS marching band did last year. Not great camera work on the recording, but you get the gist.

oops here's part two with the ending.

*Third edit - the ending was cool but not included in the recording - the band sang the Gambler - You got to know when to hold 'em...which was the best part!

Even marching bands can play songs on the figure skating warhorse list!

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I grew up in the 80s and my favorite music years were 81-82 and 87-89. Even though some of the biggest hits were from 83-86, they are so overplayed and I prefer the general sound/vibe from early and late in the decade.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was twelve in 1980 and and 21 in 1989. The 80s was my time and I loved all the pop music, and even a lot of the pop country stuff.
I was 24 in 1980 and 34 at the end of the decade but I had teenaged step kids. I could literally sing (if you want to call it that) at least one song from every one of those artists.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I was 12 in 1970 and 21 in 1979 and I really hope they don't follow up the 80s RD with a 70s one. :scream:

Frau Muller

Wow, like even I know who these artists are!

I was (am) totally out of modern music. It’s CLASSICAL all the way for me. Why I began following figure skating…and always hated the closing galas. The basic joy of the event is gone, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information