Imagine you're the ISU ice dance technical committee

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
More of the patterns! That's what makes ice dance unique and difficult (anyone who has worked those pattern dances knows). The people clamor for a waltz (seriously I've seen this all over twitter and tumblr).

As far as social media attention and virality, it's almost impossible to predict, but also it likely doesn't happen the way the ISU thinks it does. A waltz done in a cool way is just as likely to get super popular as a "dance party." But the truth is I think they are trying to bring in younger viewers without knowing what the youths of today actually like because they never spend time in those spaces.

litenkyckling

As someone with a professional background in research and data I find it fascinating that the ISU seemingly base all of their decisions on pure vibes and not a single data point

(If you guys need any services I’m right here! I’d love the staff discount and access to comps 💙)

Former Lurve Goddess

Why do they think young people won't love a waltz? Teens are just people! There are different types of teen! The type of teen who loves a waltz will love a waltz! I loved the waltz as a teen. This forum is probably full of people who were that type of teen!
I had to learn to waltz in my girls' school because the first dance at our graduation prom was a father-daughter waltz.

Former Lurve Goddess

Their short dance that season was Tango/Waltz - the Frankenstein period of ice dance.
Just watched True Lies with my Polyglot Nonagenarian Father - the hilarious final scene takes place during a fancy black tie event with a waltz followed by Jamie Lee Curtis and Arnold Schwarzenegger dancing an over the top tango. I'd kill for a movie themed RD that recreated this!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Westminster Waltz to "Hallelujah." Case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information