2023-2024 Rhythm dance

screech

Do we think anyone will 'Rickroll' us mid-dance? (Don't worry, the link is just to the definition of 'Rickrolling')

I wonder if people will use the (so far) vagueness of the 80s theme to help meet the required annual quota of Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables programs.

Nmsis

I want Charlene and Marco powered up by Italy's secret weapon : italo-discooooooooooo !

I want P Lion's Happy Children or Dreams (actually, I'd like a french team to use those ones, reason being obvious for the french)
Gazebo's I love Chopin
Ryan Paris' La Dolce Vita
Righeira's Vamos a la Playa
Kasso's Walkman
Baltimora's Tarzan Boy
Valerie Dore's The Night
Sabrina's Boys Boys Boys (no video clip here as ... well... if you know, you know :p )
Raf's Self Control (to hell with Laura Branigan)
Tony Esposito's Kalimba de Luna

For other teams
From the UK,
I also want Talk Talk
and Madness (raaah, Madness)
and Yazoo

And from Germany/Austria, I want
Peter Schilling's Major Tom
and Opus' Live is Life

Aaaand from the Netherlands
Suzanna by The Art Company

Last edited:

ellenpuff

Banned Member
I hope dancers and their coaching teams (insert long side eye to IAM here) read this thread for inspiration. I hope to see creative music selections, but I fear a plethora of Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Prince.

Personally, I would like to see a Belinda Carlisle medley. It's still very 80s, but still stylish and posh.

Doesn't surprise me. They had dropped a hint that referenced Ghostbusters on their IG in the last week.
Oh dear. I'm not convinced a gimmicky music selection—the entire theme is already a gigantic joke, mind you—is the wisest approach here. I would love to be proven wrong, of course.

ostile17

Awful choice, but It's probably just what the ISU wants. Can't wait to see Koleto's ridiculous faces :rofl:

Last edited:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I am waiting for a Dirty Dancing melody. Some of the more waltz-y lyrical skaters could do well with that. I'd love to see GreenP do some avant garde Talking Heads or Alan Parsons Project. Or Peter Gabriel. The Italians and some Joy Division or some Cure or even better DEPECHE MODE. In my head, I am imagining a burlesque-style dance to Personal Jesus. For my 60th birthday, my goal in life is to perform a strip tease to Personal Jesus. It will be EPIC, in the worst way.

I know a lot of people are rolling their eyes at this theme and I absolutely understand why, but the great thing about themes like this is it can really play to a team's strengths and we can get better programs. While yes, if everyone does a tango, comparison is easy, but if you're a great team but not so great at tango, well, it doesn't seem fair. Same as the waltz years when you're more salsa. But there's a lot of variety of beats and rhythms in 80s music and hopefully everyone finds something that takes our breath away.

Sylvia

TBD
I am waiting for a Dirty Dancing melody.
Re-posting here from the U.S. Ice Dance news thread:
Flores and Desyatov doing a Dirty Dancing tribute [on the floor] at the Dance Wonderland Grand Night for Dancing Showcase. They are :smokin::smokin:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Technical Requirements are out: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/31243-isu-communication-2560/file

"The theme selected for the Rhythm Dances for both Junior and Senior for the season 2023/24 is “Music and Feeling of the Eighties”. Any music is possible provided it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s. The couple should demonstrate through dance the culture and feeling/essence of this decade. The selected music may be remastered. The Rhythm Dance should NOT be skated in the style of a Free Dance. The couple must use dance movements and dance holds to interpret the chosen music from this decade."

Juniors have do still include the Rocker Foxtrot. Seniors have to do a partial silver samba sequence, but to any timing, plus a pattern dance type step sequence.

ETA: FD requirements - the choreo character step sequence now doesn't have to go from barrier to barrier across the short axis, and there's the option to do a choreo hydroblade movement as well as the other 6 choreo elements.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Oh, dear God... we're going to get a bunch of sad, emo shite '80s covers.

Or, worse, pretty much all of the horrendous covers from the Footloose remake, including Blake Shelton's pale imitation of Kenny Loggins' original.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Seriously, this is about as vague as the pop-orchestral covers used on Bridgerton and Queen Charlotte, lol.

litenkyckling

did I read it right that you don’t have to have partner contact between twizzle 1 and 2 in the FD now?

litenkyckling

I like the new rules in the FD tbh - the choreo steps make so much more sense like this and the hydroblading is a cool add.

Still iffy on the RD but I’ve come to accept that I always will be when it’s essentially just a themed mini FD with a couple of random required steps.

But please they need to get rid of the rule allowing covers - we all know ice dancers can be so tasteless!!

New suggestion: fans vote on the music for each team and they have to do what people choose - now that would be a challenge!

screech

Technical Requirements are out: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/31243-isu-communication-2560/file

"The theme selected for the Rhythm Dances for both Junior and Senior for the season 2023/24 is “Music and Feeling of the Eighties”. Any music is possible provided it was originally released in the decade of the 1980s. The couple should demonstrate through dance the culture and feeling/essence of this decade. The selected music may be remastered. The Rhythm Dance should NOT be skated in the style of a Free Dance. The couple must use dance movements and dance holds to interpret the chosen music from this decade."
So how strict will they be with the 'originally released' in the 80s, if it can be remastered? Like can people do the more recent covers of INXS that are popular in skating over the last few years? Never Tear US Apart was originally released in (I think) 87 or 88, but the covers are from the aughts or the last decade. How do those covers fit with their rules, as the original was released int he 80s.
Or can people do songs like, for example, Stand By Me, which was originally released in the 1960s, but was re-released in the 80s for the movie of the same name.

And demonstrate the culture/feeling/essence of the 80s? That is so incredibly vague. If no specific rhythm is given, I'd rather they give some quantifiable parameters to it.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’m fairly certain ‘remastering’ doesn’t mean picking a cover of a song and using that. 😂 From all I’ve ever understood, it means making the music stronger, louder, more technologically advanced with equalizers, etc but keeping the original song (and singer(s)) in tact.

And if music was released in the 60s, then it was released in the 60s, whether it was used in a movie in the 80s or not. To me, that would disqualify it whether the remaster came later or not.

They would’ve been better off just saying top 100 Billboard or given some stronger parameters, because I do think we will still manage to see plenty of snoozes.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I would love it if the actual music used had to be released in the '80s. I mean, that's how I'm reading what they said. A cover of an 80s song would not be eligible if that cover was released after January 1st, 1990. But I can't imagine they will be that strict, especially with copyright issues and money at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information